New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Words that are plural, but...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:15 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

There are words that are plural, such as the United States, but when you assign a verb to them, you use "is" instead of "are", because you known that though it is plural, it is considered as being one thing. I can't think of examples tonight, however, there are other plural nouns, which might be considered to represent one thing, that are not so easy to figure out. Is there any rule about this?

Post subject: A new word...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

A new word for me...

In the past week I have run across this crossword puzzle clue twice in two separate puzzles. The first time the clue was "An extra deck", and the second time the clue was, "An extra deck of cards". The answer is "Widow". I'm pretty old, done thousands of crossword puzzles, and know a lot of words, however, not only have I never heard of this use of the word "Widow" before, neither has anyone else I've asked about it has ever heard of it either. I Googled it, but came up with nothing.

Have any of you others ever heard of the word "Widow" meaning an extra deck of cards...?

Post subject: Re: A new word...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
A new word for me...

In the past week I have run across this crossword puzzle clue twice in two separate puzzles. The first time the clue was "An extra deck", and the second time the clue was, "An extra deck of cards". The answer is "Widow". I'm pretty old, done thousands of crossword puzzles, and know a lot of words, however, not only have I never heard of this use of the word "Widow" before, neither has anyone else I've asked about it has ever heard of it either. I Googled it, but came up with nothing.

Have any of you others ever heard of the word "Widow" meaning an extra deck of cards...?

Hells bells, CLOUDY, the only meaning "widow" has had to me (and likely others) is part of a deck of cards (e.g., an extra hand dealt to the middle of the table), but not a whole extra deck. :(

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Re: The English Language
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

The widow was the the Quenne of spades in my old neighborhood.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Re: A new word...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 am 
Lotsa Posta

liljol wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
A new word for me...

Hells bells, CLOUDY, the only meaning "widow" has had to me (and likely others) is part of a deck of cards (e.g., an extra hand dealt to the middle of the table), but not a whole extra deck. :(

That's the only meaning that I have heard also and is used in some games when one can't make a play with their current hand.

Post subject: Thank you LilJol, GOGETEM and FranKC...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thank you LilJol, GOGETEM and FranKC... The older I get, the more I learn from smart guys like you. Sadly, the older I get, this knowledge becomes less and less important, as the end of the road draws ever closer. :D

Post subject: Re: Thank you LilJol, GOGETEM and FranKC...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Thank you LilJol, GOGETEM and FranKC... The older I get, the more I learn from smart guys like you. Sadly, the older I get, this knowledge becomes less and less important, as the end of the road draws ever closer. :D

I am racing you to the end of the road. I hope you win.

Frank

Post subject: Re: Thank you LilJol, GOGETEM and FranKC...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:46 pm 
Lotsa Posta

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I want both of you to take a few detours on the way. :D

Post subject: Detours... What a great idea...!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I want both of you to take a few detours on the way. :D

Detours... What a great idea...!

Image .................... Image

FrankC, let's car pool together on our detour of life. I'll get a MapQuest printout, and you go to AAA and pick up a TripTik for us, and we should be okay. I guess we will also have to figure out where the Hell we're going...

Image .Image

................... "Nice road you've got us on, FrankC... It's a dead end, and there's no place to turn around. Damn it, Frank, you can take the wheel and back us out of here in reverse."

So I let Frank get behind the wheel. Much to my amazement, despite the dead end and the twisty trail with no place to turn around, he was able to back us out and all the way up to the main road. However, here is some video of Frank's driving after he got us back on the Interstate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwHYMdbsM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:35 pm 
Lotsa Posta

That winding road looks like CA 89 in No Cal that goes from Markleevile to US 395. :lol:

Post subject: I think I have driven that road in California...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
That winding road looks like CA 89 in No Cal that goes from Markleevile to US 395. :lol:

I think I have driven that road in California... Where else could you ever find a road like that...? Give me Kansas, a place where the roads are straight forward, as well as pretty much everything else.

It's good that the highways in Kansas don't throw many curves at you. However, it's the tornados that spring up and come tearing down the highway straight at you that make things interesting.

Here's a little video I took while FrankC and I were driving through Kansas, after he got us one of his dirt road short cuts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDbHm7X ... ure=relmfu

It looked so bad that Frank and I made an illegal U-turn, and headed back to the Land of OZ... :lol:

Yeah, we decided that flying monkeys and the Wicked Witch of the West were the way to go according to Frank's AAA TripTik... :D

Post subject: Compound Words
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Compound words are giving me a problem. When do two words become one word? Over the years, I've Googled a bunch of them that I was uncertain of, and ran into another one earlier tonight. Is it a "paper weight", or is it a "paperweight"? I found it both ways. This is but one of many compound words that I have found to be acceptable as both one word or two. Who decides which one is right? Are they both right?

Here are two quotes from the same Google search:

"Glass Paperweight Auction House and Gallery..."

"Glass paper weights are ornamental items designed for desktop use..."

(There are many, many more like this...) :?

Post subject: Re: Compound Words
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Compound words are giving me a problem. When do two words become one word? Over the years, I've Googled a bunch of them that I was uncertain of, and ran into another one earlier tonight. Is it a "paper weight", or is it a "paperweight"? I found it both ways. This is but one of many compound words that I have found to be acceptable as both one word or two. Who decides which one is right? Are they both right?

Paperweight is the object used to hold papers down. Paper wieght is is used to describe the quality and density of typing, copy, and computer print paper. Currently I am using 22 lb paper in my printer. It gets confusing. Generally I seperate compound words or use hyphens. The imprortance of spelling and grammar rules is to be understood and not to lower someone's (or some one's) English grade in school.

Frank

Post subject: I know that paper weight it two words when talking abouit...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Paperweight is the object used to hold papers down. Paper wieght is is used to describe the quality and density of typing, copy, and computer print paper. Currently I am using 22 lb paper in my printer. It gets confusing. Generally I seperate compound words or use hyphens. The imprortance of spelling and grammar rules is to be understood and not to lower someone's (or some one's) English grade in school.

Frank, I know that "paper weight" is two words, when talking about sheets of paper. However, the "paper weight" or "paperweight" I'm talking about in the two quotes I used above were about the same thing, something you put on top of a loose pile of papers on your desk.

Post subject: Re: I know that paper weight it two words when talking aboui
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:51 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Frank, I know that "paper weight" is two words, when talking about sheets of paper. However, the "paper weight" or "paperweight" I'm talking about in the two quotes I used above were about the same thing, something you put on top of a loose pile of papers on your desk.

Well, one of them did it wrong according to spelling and grammar fanatics. The important thing was the idea communicated.

Frank

Post subject: Frank, it's gotten too late for me tonight...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:

Image[/quote]
Well, one of them did it wrong according to spelling and grammar fanatics. The important thing was the idea communicated.[/quote]

Frank, it's gotten too late for me tonight. Thank you for your input. However, I am now going to bed. :D

Post subject: Prepositions in a title...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Other than being the first word in a title, how many letters (or more) must be in a preposition for it to be capitalized in a title? (This is not considering poetic license that many writers use to ignore grammatical rules.)

Post subject: "Seldom" or "Seldomly"...?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:17 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I have used the word "seldomly" for years, and just recently found out that it isn't a correct word. As I understand it "seldom" is already an adverb, and the "ly" added to the end of it is not only unnecessary, but wrong.

Does anyone, with nothing to do, have any comments on this? :lol:

..............................................................Image

.......................................................................... Goodnight I'm going to bed.

Post subject: Re: "Seldom" or "Seldomly"...?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:45 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Cloudy wrote:
I have used the word "seldomly" for years, and just recently found out that it isn't a correct word. As I understand it "seldom" is already an adverb, and the "ly" added to the end of it is not only unnecessary, but wrong.

.......................................................................... Goodnight I'm going to bed.

I seldom comment on this thread but I wish to reinforce LILJOL's dislike of Cloudy's less than seldom use of the "Santa going to bed" pic.

Post subject: Whoever not whomever...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I seldom comment on this thread but I wish to reinforce LILJOL's dislike of Cloudy's less than seldom use of the "Santa going to bed" pic.

I was going to let it go, but you asked for it. Check your posts, and I think you will find where you incorrectly used "whomever" instead of "whoever". Yeah, I can understand why you seldom post to this thread. :lol:

p.s. It probably would have been a good idea to put a "," between "thread" and "but" on your post above my reply. However, with newspapers starting sentences with "but" these days, I guess that your omission of the "," is probably acceptable today. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:39 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Didn't know that. I've used that word more than seldomly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I am guilty of using the word awfully when awful would suffice.

Frank

Post subject: I can't let this one slide off into oblivion...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Other than being the first word in a title, how many letters (or more) must be in a preposition for it to be capitalized in a title? (This is not considering poetic license that many writers use to ignore grammatical rules.)

I can't let this grammatical trivia question slide off into oblivion. I've been waiting for someone to come up with the answer for a very long time. Hell, it's a damn easy question. Where are you guys and gals on this simple question?

p.s. It's been so long, that if you need to Google the answer, go ahead and do it. However, if you just overlooked my grammatical trivia question, and actually know the answer, put it up here, and say, "No Google needed.". :lol:

.............................................................. Image

.......................................................................... "Goodnight I'm going to bed."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:52 am 
Moderating Hobbit

I don't know the answer, as I always use "poetic license" to capitalize whatever I Want In Titles :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:01 am 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:
I don't know the answer, as I always use "poetic license" to capitalize whatever I Want In Titles :)

Impressive, you are up before 9 AM. :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next