New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: "In to" instead of "into"...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I wish I had saved the newspaper, so I could remember exactly what the headline was talking about six or seven weeks ago. However, I didn't, so I will have to make something up to give you an idea of what it said.

(This was not just something on page 4, paragraph 3 of the Utica Observer Dispatch, it was a headline on the front page.)

UTICA FIREMEN ARE LOOKING IN TO GETTING NEW FIRE TRUCKS.

Yeah, we all make typos posting on the "ScaRatings", but I doubt any of us would have let that headline get by on the front page of the newspaper, if we were the editor. How about, "LOOKING INTO GETTING NEW FIRE TRUCKS?

............................................................Image

......................................................................... Goodnight I'm going to bed.

Post subject: Tailights, taillights, or tail lights...?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

This time I've got the facts. Just go to the "Rome Daily Sentinel", 2/9/2013, section A, page 3. The story headline reads, "DWI, syringe possession added to tailights charge". Near the end of the second paragraph you will find "insufficient taillights and no stop lights." Dang, I think this newspaper just misspelled "tail lights" incorrectly, two different ways. It's TWO WORDS...!

p.s. The single black underlines are mine, not the newspaper's. I added the underlines to make it easier to see what I was talking about.

Post subject: Unintelligible
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Earlier this week I went to the Buffalo Wild Wings on Bardstown Road in Louisville with Goofy and DHB. They were having a live trivia game there. A slinky twenty-some gal, dressed to kill, was running the show. She had the volume turned all the way up on her system, and the three of us sitting at a table about 15 feet away from her could barely understand about every third or fourth word she was saying. After a half hour or so of one or the other of us having to go up to her to read the question to us again, it was my turn to get the question, and I thought I could help her out.

I went up to her and said, "We can't understand what you are saying. I think you may have the volume too high, because everything is unintelligible."

She repied, "Are you calling me stupid?"

I said, "No, we just can't understand the words that your p.a. system is putting out, they are unintelligible."

She replied, "Well, if you think I'm stupid and don't like this game, why don't you just leave?"

I tried to explain to her what "unintelligible" meant, but she still didn't understand, and told me leave again. So we did, and we ain't going back there again.

p.s. Yep, I think she really is stupid, but I didn't tell her that, even though I wanted to on the way out the door.

Post subject: Re: Unintelligible
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Earlier this week I went to the Buffalo Wild Wings on Bardstown Road in Louisville with Goofy and DHB. They were having a live trivia game there. A slinky twenty-some gal, dressed to kill, was running the show. She had the volume turned all the way up on her system, and the three of us sitting at a table about 15 feet away from her could barely understand about every third or fourth word she was saying. After a half hour or so of one or the other of us having to go up to her to read the question to us again, it was my turn to get the question, and I thought I could help her out.

I went up to her and said, "We can't understand what you are saying. I think you may have the volume too high, because everything is unintelligible."

She repied, "Are you calling me stupid?"

I said, "No, we just can't understand the words that your p.a. system is putting out, they are unintelligible."

She replied, "Well, if you think I'm stupid and don't like this game, why don't you just leave?"

I tried to explain to her what "unintelligible" meant, but she still didn't understand, and told me leave again. So we did, and we ain't going back there again.

p.s. Yep, I think she really is stupid, but I didn't tell her that, even though I wanted to on the way out the door.

You seem to have my level of skills when it comes to making new friends. :mrgreen:

My first thought when I read this is that (possibly due to the volume level) she misheard "unintelligible" as "unintelligent" and that she thought you were referring to her. But then, if the volume within BWW was reasonable when she wasn't using the PA system, then maybe she was blonde. :mrgreen: (My experience with BWW is that their noise level is never reasonable, so if this person has spent too much of her time at BWWs, maybe she is starting to experience hearing loss. Which would explain the PA system being set at full volume.)

You could probably write a short note to her explaining exactly what you were trying to say, and apologizing for any misunderstanding. Otherwise, you could possibly call the restaurant and explain the situation to the restaurant manager. I don't know about you but I hate to have hard feelings toward someone over the usage and (mis)understanding of one single word.

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: Unintelligible
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
You seem to have my level of skills when it comes to making new friends. :mrgreen:

My first thought when I read this is that (possibly due to the volume level) she misheard "unintelligible" as "unintelligent" and that she thought you were referring to her. But then, if the volume within BWW was reasonable when she wasn't using the PA system, then maybe she was blonde. :mrgreen: (My experience with BWW is that their noise level is never reasonable, so if this person has spent too much of her time at BWWs, maybe she is starting to experience hearing loss. Which would explain the PA system being set at full volume.)

You could probably write a short note to her explaining exactly what you were trying to say, and apologizing for any misunderstanding. Otherwise, you could possibly call the restaurant and explain the situation to the restaurant manager. I don't know about you but I hate to have hard feelings toward someone over the usage and (mis)understanding of one single word.

-- RWM

ZOG, if I thought I would ever see this babe again or cared about her stupid, unintelligible trivia, I would probably follow your advice. However, it's just a funny story for me, and I will leave her to whatever her destiny takes her in the world of live trivia.

Post subject: Re: The English Language
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm glad you find it amusing. Personally, I don't find it amusing to unintentionally insult someone, but it sounds like you made an effort to make it right to no avail.

-- RWM

Post subject: ZOG, you had to be there...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:43 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I'm glad you find it amusing. Personally, I don't find it amusing to unintentionally insult someone, but it sounds like you made an effort to make it right to no avail.

-- RWM

ZOG, you had to be there...

I was as polite to her as anyone could possibly be. I made an effort twice to explain to her that I wasn't calling her stupid, and tried to explain to her what "unintelligible" meant. She was very nasty to me, but I did not respond in kind, which most people would.

You don't know me, but those who do, will tell you that I am extremely polite and considerate of other people and their feelings, perhaps to a fault.

The humor here is not that I unintentionally insulted her, which is the last thing I would have wanted to happen. The humor is that she didn't know what the word "unintelligible" meant after repeated attempts to explain it to her, and I got told to leave.

p.s. Yeah, on the "Baseless Lies" and "Ban the Person Above You" threads I'm not always polite, but they are not the real world. They're places where people kid around with each other in good natured ribbing.

Post subject: "A" or "AN"...?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I think we were all told in grade school that you use "A" in front of a word that begins with a consonant, and "AN" in front of a word that begins with a vowel. However, I'm not so sure that that rule doesn't have exceptions. I read somewhere, if a word starts with a consonant, but sounds like a vowel, you should use "AN" instead of "A". For example it would be correct to write "an hour" instead of "a hour".

Okay Liljol, set me right on this one. :lol:

Post subject: Re: "A" or "AN"...?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
I think we were all told in grade school that you use "A" in front of a word that begins with a consonant, and "AN" in front of a word that begins with a vowel. However, I'm not so sure that that rule doesn't have exceptions. I read somewhere, if a word starts with a consonant, but sounds like a vowel, you should use "AN" instead of "A". For example it would be correct to write "an hour" instead of "a hour".

The rule I was taught was "a" in front of a word with a consonant sound, and "an" in front of a word with a vowel sound. This doesn't explain the numerous times that I see "an" written in front of "historic(al)", such as "This is truly an historic event"; I would probably be inclined to use "a" in that case.

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: "A" or "AN"...?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:05 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

The rule I was taught was "a" in front of a word with a consonant sound, and "an" in front of a word with a vowel sound. This doesn't explain the numerous times that I see "an" written in front of "historic(al)", such as "This is truly an historic event"; I would probably be inclined to use "a" in that case.

-- RWM

Long ago when I was taught the ABCs H, W, and Y where sometime vowels.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC, sometimes a word starting with H starts with a vowel sound, like "hour", so one says "in an hour..." But "historic" starts with a consonant sound, and yet on more than one occasion, I read of "an historic event." But then I might hear or read that someone "has a history of substance abuse."

Post subject: I never was taught that "H" could be considered a vowel...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Long ago when I was taught the ABCs H, W, and Y where sometime vowels.

Frank, I was never was taught that "H" could be considered to be a vowel. Though Miss Hawkes did tell us that "W" and "Y" could be used as vowels every once in a while. Maybe I'm learning something new. :D

p.s. Are schools still teaching kids any of this stuff...?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. It's about fucking time for me to let fly on a couple of overused phrases (at least IMO) heard nowadays.

I'll admit that my dislike for these phrases (and those that insist on using them) is likely due to my age and grumpiness. Still, I have major problems having to put up with obnoxious asshole fucks asking about what I'm doing when banging away at NTN Buzztime, and/or making jackass remarks, then, after I call them out on their obvious (at least to me) obnoxious, fuckhead attitude and tone, reply with:

"I WAS ONLY ASKING!"

or

"JUST SAYING!"

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Not knowing the conversation...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. It's about fucking time for me to let fly on a couple of overused phrases (at least IMO) heard nowadays.

I'll admit that my dislike for these phrases (and those that insist on using them) is likely due to my age and grumpiness. Still, I have major problems having to put up with obnoxious asshole fucks asking about what I'm doing when banging away at NTN Buzztime, and/or making jackass remarks, then, after I call them out on their obvious (at least to me) obnoxious, fuckhead attitude and tone, reply with:

"I WAS ONLY ASKING!"

or

"JUST SAYING!"

Not knowing the converstation that preceded these two phrases, I will have to guess what led to them.

My guess is that some jackass said something obnoxious or stupid. You challenged them on it. They had no answer to your challenge, and backed down. As they retreated, they attempted to save some face, by trying to defuse their obnoxious or stupid comment. They waved a white flag, and in effect rescinded their obnoxious or stupid comment, before you could rip them a new one.

It sucks when obnoxious, stupid, people surrender so easily, without trying to defend their obnoxious, stupid comments.

However, I think it is probably best to allow these intellectual whimps a graceful way out, before they come after you with a bar chair. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:45 am 
Lotsa Posta

I was at Danny Ks once playing 5 boxes when some a-hole thought that he was being smart and said that there were 20 more available (I'm actually rephrasing to a more intelligent remark). My response was that maybe I will take 19, he could take the other and that I would likely do better than he would. From that day forward, he never mentioned it again. :lol:

Post subject: Go get them, GOGETEM...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
I was at Danny Ks once playing 5 boxes when some a-hole thought that he was being smart and said that there were 20 more available (I'm actually rephrasing to a more intelligent remark). My response was that maybe I will take 19, he could take the other and that I would likely do better than he would. From that day forward, he never mentioned it again. :lol:

Go get them, GOGETEM. Obviously that a-hole doesn't understand that for your bar to have a shot at making Network rankings you have to have at least 5 boxes being played. Perhaps, if you explained it to him, you could get away with just playing four, as long as he sat next to you and went with your answers.

p.s. Nineteen boxes...? Do you think you could really do it...? :lol:

Post subject: Re: Go get them, GOGETEM...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:11 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Cloudy wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

Go get them, GOGETEM. Obviously that a-hole doesn't understand that for your bar to have a shot at making Network rankings you have to have at least 5 boxes being played. Perhaps, if you explained it to him, you could get away with just playing four, as long as he sat next to you and went with your answers.

p.s. Nineteen boxes...? Do you think you could really do it...? :lol:

It would be tough. :lol: You would have to know this a-hole. I would likely be wasting my time trying to explain anything. Usually when someone asks, I will explain it, but not in this case.

Post subject: I would have to think...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
It would be tough. :lol: You would have to know this a-hole. I would likely be wasting my time trying to explain anything. Usually when someone asks, I will explain it, but not in this case.

I would have to think that Mr. A-Hole, only wins games at the bar, when you aren't there. :D

................................................................ Image

............................................................................. Goodnight I'm going to bed.

Post subject: Re: I would have to think...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:28 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Cloudy wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

I would have to think that Mr. A-Hole, only wins games at the bar, when you aren't there. :D

................................................................ Image

............................................................................. Goodnight I'm going to bed.

I have never seen him play at all, but haven't seen or missed him in a long time.

Post subject: Good riddance to bad rubbish...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
I have never seen him play at all, but haven't seen or missed him in a long time.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Now that Mr. A Hole is gone, it's time to put a team together. Go get 'em Gogetem. There is nothing more fun than having a group of friends all playing together and sharing answers. If you can put it together, you'll have great fun high-fiving each other every time your bar shows up on the Network Rankings.

.................................................................................. Image

................................................................................................. Goodnight I'm going to bed.

Post subject: Re: Good riddance to bad rubbish...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 am 
Lotsa Posta

Cloudy wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Now that Mr. A Hole is gone, it's time to put a team together. Go get 'em Gogetem. There is nothing more fun than having a group of friends all playing together and sharing answers. If you can put it together, you'll have great fun high-fiving each other every time your bar shows up on the Network Rankings.

.................................................................................. Image

................................................................................................. Goodnight I'm going to bed.

We do have a small team that gets together a couple times a week at various locations. We may not be #1 often, but we have a helluva good time. :D

Post subject: That's great...!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:17 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
We do have a small team that gets together a couple times a week at various locations. We may not be #1 often, but we have a helluva good time. :D

That's great...! If you guys keep the team together, it will grow. As friends, co-workers, relatives, and even strangers find out how much fun you guys are having, they will want to join the team. Before you know it, your bar will have to order more boxes from NTN, and you guys will show up regularly on the Network Rankings.

GO GET 'EM...! :D

Post subject: Re: That's great...!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:06 am 
Lotsa Posta

Cloudy wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

That's great...! If you guys keep the team together, it will grow. As friends, co-workers, relatives, and even strangers find out how much fun you guys are having, they will want to join the team. Before you know it, your bar will have to order more boxes from NTN, and you guys will show up regularly on the Network Rankings.

Maybe it's a coincidence that you mentioned that. Others are already showing up and some are using iPhones now as more boxes are needed.

Post subject: Re: That's great...!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

Maybe it's a coincidence that you mentioned that. Others are already showing up and some are using iPhones now as more boxes are needed.

Nuts. CLOUDY has irreversibly jinxed you. :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Keep it up...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:

Keep it up, and before you know it you will have an ass-kicking team...!

Be sure to welcome every new player, and ask them to join your team. Even though some might not come up with a lot of answers, many of them know people, who do, and they will bring them to the bar with them next time.

Many years ago we had a gal, who had just come into Friday's for a couple drinks. She asked the bartender for a box, because she saw the rest of us playing them. At a break between games I went over and talked to her. I asked her to come back again. She laughed and said, "You don't want me. You want my sister." Her sister showed up the next week, and became one of the best players our team ever had. Her sister, Mary (MM) not only led us to great Network Rankings, she missed a week, because she had to go to be on "Jeopardy".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next