New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: I can't let this one slide off into oblivion...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Other than being the first word in a title, how many letters (or more) must be in a preposition for it to be capitalized in a title? (This is not considering poetic license that many writers use to ignore grammatical rules.)

I can't let this grammatical trivia question slide off into oblivion. I've been waiting for someone to come up with the answer for a very long time. Hell, it's a damn easy question. Where are you guys and gals on this simple question?

p.s. It's been so long, that if you need to Google the answer, go ahead and do it. However, if you just overlooked my grammatical trivia question, and actually know the answer, put it up here, and say, "No Google needed.". :lol:

Of course the answer is easy.
Just like a lot of things involving grammar, there is no "rule" for this. Zero. Zilch. Nada.
There are a variety of acceptable standards when capitalizing titles.
You probably prefer to capitalize prepositions of four letters or more.
Some prefer five letters or more.
Some folks merely capitalize the first word or perhaps the first and last word only.
Some capitalize every proper noun or, like me, capitalize everything except any non-first word prepositions regardless of their length.

I'm not sure where your prediliction for asking questions to which there is no concrete answer comes from, but have you considered becoming a monk?
I understand they are afforded a goodly amount of recess from their busy gruel stirring schedule to philosophically dither... :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: The English Language
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Dante wrote:
I don't know the answer, as I always use "poetic license" to capitalize whatever I Want In Titles :)

I'm usually up before 9 AM, sir. :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:48 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:
Dante wrote:
I don't know the answer, as I always use "poetic license" to capitalize whatever I Want In Titles :)

Somehow this makes no sense. :?
Maybe you got up too early this morning. :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:39 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

cards wrote:
Dante wrote:
Dante wrote:

Somehow this makes no sense. :?
Maybe you got up too early this morning. :P

I did indeed. Went to bed at 6 PM and woke up around 6:59 AM. This illness is for the birds.

Post subject: The answer is...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Other than being the first word in a title, how many letters (or more) must be in a preposition for it to be capitalized in a title? (This is not considering poetic license that many writers use to ignore grammatical rules.)

I can't let this grammatical trivia question slide off into oblivion. I've been waiting for someone to come up with the answer for a very long time. Hell, it's a damn easy question. Where are you guys and gals on this simple question?

p.s. It's been so long, that if you need to Google the answer, go ahead and do it. However, if you just overlooked my grammatical trivia question, and actually know the answer, put it up here, and say, "No Google needed.". :lol:

.............................................................. Image

.......................................................................... "Goodnight I'm going to bed."

The answer is five (5).

Yep, you guessed it:

Post subject: It has taken too long. The answer is...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

.............................................................. Image

.......................................................................... "Goodnight I'm going to bed."

It has taken too long. The answer is five.

Yep, you guessed it, but I will spare Liljol and the rest of you my trademark Santa sign-off.

Goodnight I'm going to bed.

Last edited by Cloudy on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Adverbs and verbs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Is there any rule about placing an adverb immediately before the verb it modifies, or is it okay to slip it in after the verb? This is not a quiz, I don't know.

Post subject: Re: Adverbs and verbs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Is there any rule about placing an adverb immediately before the verb it modifies, or is it okay to slip it in after the verb? This is not a quiz, I don't know.

Cloudy, run quickly before the language police brutally capture you.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Re: Adverbs and verbs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: The language police are alread at my door...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

The language police are already at my door, but I ain't gonna open it, because I have another question that I want to ask you guys, before they break my door down, and drag me off.

Here it is:

When writing a sentence that refers to a person that continues, should you use the word "that" to refer to them, or should you use the word "who"?

Here is an example of the question that I am asking: "John is a person that likes rap music." or should it be "John is a person, who likes rap music." My feeling that it should be "who" instead of "that", because John is a "who", not a "that".

Is there any rule that addresses this question? I have no idea. I need you guys to help me on this one.

Post subject: An altimeter that measures voltage...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I played a computer game called "The Agency of Anomalies: Cinderstone Orphanage" yesterday. It was a pretty good game with some hidden object scenes. In one of the hidden object scenes you had to find an "altimeter". I searched and searched, but nowhere was there an altimeter to be found. As much as I hated to, I resorted to the hint button. There is was, but it wasn't an altimeter. Based on the spelling, I would have to guess they meant to say ammeter. As it was added to my inventory, a message flashed across the screen that said it could be used to measure voltage.

How ignorant and confused can these people be? An altimeter is an instrument that pilots use to measure their altitude, and an ammeter measures amperes, not volts.

Do you think Big Fish Games will recall all of "The Agency of Anomalies: Cinderstone Orphanage" games, and change altimeter to voltmeter, if I sent them an e-mail pointing out their blunder to them? :lol:

Post subject: Re: An altimeter that measures voltage...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
I played a computer game called "The Agency of Anomalies: Cinderstone Orphanage" yesterday. It was a pretty good game with some hidden object scenes. In one of the hidden object scenes you had to find an "altimeter". I searched and searched, but nowhere was there an altimeter to be found. As much as I hated to, I resorted to the hint button. There is was, but it wasn't an altimeter. Based on the spelling, I would have to guess they meant to say ammeter. As it was added to my inventory, a message flashed across the screen that said it could be used to measure voltage.

How ignorant and confused can these people be? An altimeter is an instrument that pilots use to measure their altitude, and an ammeter measures amperes, not volts.

Do you think Big Fish Games will recall all of "The Agency of Anomalies: Cinderstone Orphanage" games, and change altimeter to voltmeter, if I sent them an e-mail pointing out their blunder to them? :lol:

Alas, CLOUDY, something tells me that Big Fish Games will reply that you're full of crap. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: I love you Liljol...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:35 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Alas, CLOUDY, something tells me that Big Fish Games will reply that you're full of crap. Image

I love you Liljol. We are one of a kind. We both are full of crap. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

The game is called The Agency of Anomalies.
Instead of correcting the game designers, perhaps a lesson on the definition of the word "anomalies" might be in order here... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

The game is called The Agency of Anomalies.
Instead of correcting the game designers, perhaps a lesson on the definition of the word "anomalies" might be in order here... :shock:

SPOTES, you may not believe this, but I thought of the "anomalies" irony also. :lol:

Post subject: Starting a pargraph with "But"...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I wish I saved the newspaper with an AP front page story, where their writer started a paragraph with the conjunction "but". (Yeah, he did bother to give it a capital "B".) I can see where someone writes themselves into a corner in the middle of a paragraph, and they can't figure how to write themselves out of it to continue their narative, might have to resort to this violation of English rules. However, why in the world would a professional writer for the AP choose to start a paragraph with the conjunction "but", when there was no need to?

Post subject: Re: Starting a pargraph with "But"...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Cloudy wrote:
I wish I saved the newspaper with an AP front page story, where their writer started a paragraph with the conjunction "but". (Yeah, he did bother to give it a capital "B".) I can see where someone writes themselves into a corner in the middle of a paragraph, and they can't figure how to write themselves out of it to continue their narative, might have to resort to this violation of English rules. However, why in the world would a professional writer for the AP choose to start a paragraph with the conjunction "but", when there was no need to?

I regularly start paragraphs with "But," but it is only when it's in fiction and has a first person narrator, as if you listen to people telling stories verbally, you will very often hear this. :)

But, I know it is different vis-a-vis AP :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

In 8th-grade, a teacher gave me a C on a paper and embarrassed me in class for starting a sentence with "but". (But) then in college, English professors have given lectures defending the same thing. :roll:

It's partially for this reason that I went to college as a Computer Science major. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:04 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

zog741 wrote:
In 8th-grade, a teacher gave me a C on a paper and embarrassed me in class for starting a sentence with "but". (But) then in college, English professors have given lectures defending the same thing. :roll:

It's partially for this reason that I went to college as a Computer Science major. :)

-- RWM

I once had a teacher argue I could write how I wish once I was published. After I pointed out I had published more things than she had, she left me alone.

Post subject: "We are about to pre-board..."
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I've been doing some flying for the past couple of years, and kept hearing the airline representative at the little podium announcing, "We are about to pre-board." She or he would then read off a long list of privileged passengers, who could get on first, before she got to the rest of us by the sections printed on our boarding passes. Then one day it occurred to me that "Pre" wasn't neccessary to say in front of "board". We all were about to board the aircraft as our turns came up. The only people, who actually pre-boarded, were the pilot, copilot, and flight attendants, and they weren't sitting with the rest of us at the gate.

Post subject: Cursive writing is on the way out...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It looks like cursive writing is on the way out. Schools are stopping teaching it. I see this as yet one more indication of the continuted dumbing down of our education system.

When no one knows cursive writing, how are they going to be able to endorse checks, sign legal documents, and many more things? When everyone just prints their name, this will make forgery a very simple crime to get away with. I think it may even become worse, as our education system leads us to the day, when everyone is so poorly educated that when they have to sign their name, they will all just scratch an "X" on the line for their signature.

Perhaps the worst thing that the end of cursive writing will effect will be love letters to people's sweethearts. :cry:

Check this link out:

http://www.examiner.com/article/cursive ... me-schools

Post subject: Re: Cursive writing is on the way out...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
It looks like cursive writing is on the way out. Schools are stopping teaching it. I see this as yet one more indication of the continuted dumbing down of our education system.

When no one knows cursive writing, how are they going to be able to endorse checks, sign legal documents, and many more things? When everyone just prints their name, this will make forgery a very simple crime to get away with. I think it may even become worse, as our education system leads us to the day, when everyone is so poorly educated that when they have to sign their name, they will all just scratch an "X" on the line for their signature.

Perhaps the worst thing that the end of cursive writing will effect will be love letters to people's sweethearts. :cry:

Check this link out:

http://www.examiner.com/article/cursive ... me-schools

As a lefty, my cursive writing over the years varied from fair to absolutely atrocious. I stopped writing cursively around my senior year of college when I looked at handwritten class notes that I had taken just the previous week and realized that I had absolutely no clue what I had written! Since then, I used block writing, which is slower than cursive, but considerably more legible. It has occurred to me that it's strange that I was taking exams as a graduate student and writing basically the same way that I did in first grade, but as long as my results were successful, who really cares?

The only time I ever write cursively is when using my signature. In this day and age, that really is the only time cursive writing is even necessary.

(Okay, I haven't written a love letter in a very long time. Would my future girlfriend be more swayed by something in block letters or by something completely illegible? Especially something that I won't even be able to read later? :lol:)

Happy New Year, everyone. :) Thank you Cloudy for finally giving me something to write about.

-- RWM

Post subject: Ah, a southpaw...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
As a lefty, my cursive writing over the years varied from fair to absolutely atrocious. I stopped writing cursively around my senior year of college when I looked at handwritten class notes that I had taken just the previous week and realized that I had absolutely no clue what I had written! Since then, I used block writing, which is slower than cursive, but considerably more legible. It has occurred to me that it's strange that I was taking exams as a graduate student and writing basically the same way that I did in first grade, but as long as my results were successful, who really cares?

The only time I ever write cursively is when using my signature. In this day and age, that really is the only time cursive writing is even necessary.

(Okay, I haven't written a love letter in a very long time. Would my future girlfriend be more swayed by something in block letters or by something completely illegible? Especially something that I won't even be able to read later? :lol:)

Happy New Year, everyone. :) Thank you Cloudy for finally giving me something to write about.

-- RWM

Ah, you're a southpaw, my yougest daughter is a lefty too. I wish I was left handed also, to give me an excuse for my terrible right handed writing. I actually taught myself cursive writing, because when I moved to Rome, NY, from Geneva, NY, I discovered that Rome taught cursive writing in the 3rd grade, and Geneva didn't until the 4th grade. So I went into Miss Hawk's 4th grade at Fort Stanwix School, trying to catch myself up on cursive writing that all of my classmates already knew.

Back when people used ink wells and quills to write things, I can see how being left handed and having to write from left to right could pose a problem, when it came to staining your shirt sleeve or smudging what you were writing. However, I think ballpoint pens eliminated that problem.

I'm old and the love letters I wrote and received in years long gone by were NEVER printed. However, I'm old and perhaps today text messages on cell phones that say, "l luv u. Imo u r 2G2BT." work. How romantic...?

Thank you ZOG. I love your posts. You actually write paragraphs that make cogent points. Better yet, when you reply to something I post, it tells me that what I write are not just notes in bottles tossed into the sea, that nobody will ever read.

Post subject: Re: Ah, a southpaw...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:59 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Better yet, when you reply to something I post, it tells me that what I write are not just notes in bottles tossed into the sea, that nobody will ever read.

I understand that BO sometimes reads your posts. :mrgreen:

-- RWM

Post subject: Yep, he does...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Better yet, when you reply to something I post, it tells me that what I write are not just notes in bottles tossed into the sea, that nobody will ever read.

I understand that BO sometimes reads your posts. :mrgreen:

-- RWM

Yep, he does. Though others have mentioned that he has great distain for the "Free For All" forum, where the vast majority of my posts have been, he still seems to find them.

I would love it, if he would join in on the "Computer Games New and Old" thread.

p.s. I could use your recommendations and comments on that thread also.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next