New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: There were so many...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brandyb wrote:
So Cloudy, any comments on the movies I suggested?

There were so many all at once, so I took the coward's way out, and waited for someone else to jump in. However, now I know I have been remiss, and will do the best I can on your list.

I think this is the post with the movies that you recommended:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Here are just a few I'd recommend. I know some aren't obscure but I know a lot of people may have heard of them but not seen them.

Metropolis - Just a great movie visually and the soundtrack I'd suggest watching it to is the 1980's version by Giorgio Moroder. The early techno/pop vibe fits the movie perfectly.

The General - Buster Keaton at his finest. He is able to express so much through his face and movements, a true genius.

Kind Hearts and Coronets - Alec Guinness plays eight characters in this funny British film.

Quick Change - I believe the only movie Bill Murray directed, this is one of the funniest movies I've seen.

After Life - Japanese film about what happens when you go to heaven. You can pick only one memory and it will be will you for eternity. Here is a great description and review about it. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 60301/1023

Walk Hard - a great send up of movies like Walk the Line, with an excellent cast and an awesome soundtrack.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - a great film about street artists, directed by Banksy. You think the movie is going to be about one think but changes half way through. Also, will leave you guessing at the end. Nominated for Best Documentary last year.

The Art of the Steal - this is the description "Documentary that follows the struggle for control of Dr. Albert C. Barnes' 25 billion dollar collection of modern and post-impressionist art." It sounds boring but it is truly a wonderful and heartbreaking film that show what can happen to a persons personal collection of art when others get involved. I can't recommend it highly enough."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

- The only "Metropolis" I ever saw was Fritz Lang's 1927 silent film, and I know that ain't the one you're talking about.

- Yep, I've seen Buster Keaton's "The General". It is a classic comedy of the silent era.

- I've got "Kind Hearts and Coronets", but haven't watched it yet. Guess I'll need to find it and check it out. I like Alec Guinness movies.

- The rest are new to me, but as I add to my DVD/Video collection, I will look for them.

Thanks for the recommendations. :D

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "Things to Come"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Things to Come" (1936) is a very obscure movie today. It's an old black and white movie based on a H.G. Wells novel. I cannot recommend this film to everyone, because I don't think many will like it. However, I did, and if you are a sci-fi buff, who wants to go back to the early years, it's probably worth seeing. Raymond Massey stars. (I'm pretty sure that it was remade using the title, "The Shape of Things to Come".)

Image .......... Image .......... Image ..........Image .......... Image

p.s. It's NOT a slient movie. :D

Here's a link to footage from the film. It's pretty long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCle32Ofr9w

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: "The Thief of Bagdad"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"The Thief of Bagdad" (1940) is another now obscure movie. If you've never seen it, I think it's definitely worth watching. It is a wonderful adventure, fantasy movie, and it is in COLOR...! I actually think your kids or grandkids will like it too. It has a great story line, execlent special effects, and should keep everybody glued to the screen as you watch it. Yep, this is a strong CLOUDY recommendation.

It stars Sabu, an actor from India, who went on to make several other movies.

Be careful, this movie has been made many times. I'm recommending the 1940, Sabu version.

Image .......... Image...........Image

Here's a link to the original theatrical trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrpukRr3c9s

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "The Thief of Bagdad"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

"The Thief of Bagdad" (1940) is another now obscure movie, but if you've never seen it, I think it's definitely worth watching. It is a wonderful adventure, fantasy movie, and it is in COLOR...! I actually think your kids or grandkids will like it too. It has a great story line, execlent special effects, and should keep everybody glued to the screen as you watch it. Yep, this is a strong CLOUDY recommendation.

It stars Sabu, an actor from India, who went on to make several other movies.

Be careful, this movie has been made many times. I'm recommending the 1940, Sabu version.

Image .......... Image...........Image

The "Thief of Bagdad" and "Things to Come" are excellent movies. I have copies of both of them. I Don't think they are too obscure. TCM runs "The Thief" several times a year and "Things to Come" about once a year. I saw them both first on WGN TV when I was a Kid. Cloudy, You have good taste.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Re: "The Thief of Bagdad"
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
The "Thief of Bagdad" and "Things to Come" are excellent movies. I have copies of both of them. I Don't think they are too obscure. TCM runs "The Thief" several times a year and "Things to Come" about once a year. I saw them both first on WGN TV when I was a Kid. Cloudy, You have good taste.

Frank, that makes at least two of us with good taste in movies, at least for starters. With a little work maybe we can get ICEMAN to join us. I'm worried that he might be too young, and if he hasn't seen these oldies, it could be difficult to convince him that he should waste money and time to watch them. Hell, he might surpise us, or maybe somebody else will. CARDS, another relatively young guy from our perspective, has been a pretty good supporter of some of these older films.

I'm putting these older movies up here, because I think many young folks have never seen them, and I think they are missing out on films that they would love.

Post subject: Re: There were so many...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:17 am 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:
Brandyb wrote:

There were so many all at once, so I took the coward's way out, and waited for someone else to jump in. However, now I know I have been remiss, and will do the best I can on your list.

- The only "Metropolis" I ever saw was Fritz Lang's 1927 silent film, and I know that ain't the one you're talking about.

That was the movie I was talking about Cloudy. It's silent so there are different soundtracks you can listen to to accompany the film and I was recommending the 1980's soundtrack to go with it. It really worked well with the film.

Post subject: Good recommendations...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brandyb wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Brandyb wrote:

That was the movie I was talking about Cloudy. It's silent so there are different soundtracks you can listen to to accompany the film and I was recommending the 1980's soundtrack to go with it. It really worked well with the film.

Good recommendations, give me time and eventually I will pick up the ones that I haven't heard of and check them out.

Here's a link to the original theatrical trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8Ba9rWhUg

(For those of you, who consider yourselves students of cinematography, Brandy's "Metropolis" recommendation is not just good, it is a MUST!)

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "Escape from Sobidor"
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Escape from Sobidor" (1987) tells the true story of Jewish prisoners in a NASI concentration camp, who decide that they don't want to die, and do something about it. Won't tell you any more about the film. I don't want to ruin it for you. However, I thought it was an excellent movie. It should be pretty easy to find, and won't cost very much. I think you will like it.

Here is a link to some film footage of this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyzgwVwDTq0

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Obscure movies you like...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

If I haven't already posted them, I'd check out:

Mumford
Primer
The King of Kong

I can't think of many other obscure movies worth watching, off the top of my head.

Post subject: "The Man Without a Face"
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"The Man Without a Face" (1993) is a wonderful movie. The gals may like it more than the guys, but last time I looked, I'm a guy, and I loved the movie. It stars Mel Gibson. Like him or not, this is truly a movie worth watching. (No, this is not a sci-fi flick.) This is one that you want to see before you die.

Here's a link to some film footage from this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkOELRSRxxk

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: It's damn hard to think of obscure movies...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
If I haven't already posted them, I'd check out:

Mumford
Primer
The King of Kong

I can't think of many other obscure movies worth watching, off the top of my head.

It's damn hard to think of obscure movies that you think were pretty good, off the top of your head. It's really easy to remember the great classics, but the obscure ones, that you think were pretty good, are kind of tough to come up with.

"The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" (2007), though obscure, has been praised by many. DANTE, you need to keep these recommendations coming.

Here's a link that will help you get into the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQZ9wXO8RVs

p.s. Your post would also probably fit in the "Computer Games New and Old" thread. :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: It's damn hard to think of obscure movies...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:36 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Cloudy wrote:

"The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" (2007), though obscure, has been praised by many. DANTE, you need to keep these recommendations coming.

p.s. Your post would also probably fit in the "Computer Games New and Old" thread. :lol:

I'd also highly recommend:

Moon
Cashback

The next two aren't English, but I highly recommend. Just don't expect to feel uplifted after them.

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)
El Espinaza del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone)

Post subject: Shit, I screwed up, and just deleted...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I'd also highly recommend:

Moon
Cashback

The next two aren't English, but I highly recommend. Just don't expect to feel uplifted after them.

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)
El Espinaza del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone)

Shit, I screwed up, and just deleted last night's reply to your post. I saved my second reply. Here it is:

FSHMAN kept me out late tonight, and overruled the good Lord, who kindly allowed me to wake up this morning. It's gotten too late for me to check out your recommendations again, and give them the attention that I know they deserve. So I'm going to put you off for hopefully just another day, and throw a couple easy movies up here that won't take me much time tonight.

Post subject: "The Brain That Wouldn't Die"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"The Brain That Wouldn't Die" (1962) is not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. However, if you a person, who likes black and white, sci-fi/horror "B" movies, this is one you don't want to miss.

Image .......... Image .......... Image

Here's a link to the theatrical trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYebuwQ8RPw

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "Woman in the Dunes"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Woman in the Dunes" (1964) is perhaps the strangest movie I have ever seen. At the time, when I watched it in college, it was considered an artsy flick for deep thinking intellectuals. If you are an artsy, deep thinking intellectual, this is a must to see. If you aren't, you might want to watch it anyway, to add to your list of the strangest movies you have ever seen. It's a Japanese, black and white film, and if memory serves me, I think it might have English subtitles. I believe that it is still highly regarded by artsy, deep thinking intellectuals.

If anyone watches it, please send me a private message, explaining the movie to me, so I can become an artsy, deep thinking intellectual too. Thanks. :lol:

Image .......... [/img]Image .......... Image

Here's a link to some film footage from this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_NRQ0tEx-Y

(You must be 21 or older to watch it without your parents' permission.)

p.s. It still gives me nightmares. :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:44 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: "Robot Monster"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Robot Monster" (1953) was the first sci-fi/horror movie I ever saw at a movie theater. As bad as it was, it scared the shit out of me. Once again, this is only a recommendation for those, who are really into very old black and white "B" films from years gone by. Actually, I believe that it has become a cult classic.

Image .......... Image ..........Image

...................................................................................................................................................................................................... RUN, you fools...!!!

Here's a link to the orginal 1953 theatrical trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9IKsH9BXg

p.s. The ending is pretty wild.

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" (1964) probably ain't worth watching for most grown ups, but there's a chance that your young kids or grandkids might find it entertaining. What the heck, go out and pick it up, and show it to the kiddies on Christmas eve.

I'm only suggesting it, because it could be the goofiest Christmas movie I've ever watched. Any CLOUDY suggstion that has an adjective that ends in "est" to describe a movie, might be worth watching, to see if you can come up with one that beats it. :lol:

p.s. I think it is in color.

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtXnLtOHiTk

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:51 am, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Rummaging around in your cellar again, Cloudy?

Post subject: Just the basement of my brain...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Rummaging around in your cellar again, Cloudy?

Just the basement of my brain... :lol:

Post subject: "Brotherhood of the Bell"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Getting serious for a moment, "Brotherhood of the Bell" (1970) is a very obscure, made for TV, movie, that you definitely want to see. It's a great film, and I promise you that you will really like it. I won't get into the plot, because movies are always better, if you just let them unfold, while you watch them. (This is a pretty strong recommendation.)

............................................................................................. Starring Glenn Ford

Good luck trying to find this movie. I've been looking for it for years, with no luck. If anyone can find it for sale on DVD or VHS, please let me know. (Better yet, just buy it for me, and give it to me as a belated birthday present.) :lol: Thanks.

heres a link to some poor quality footage from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pst-2wprw6c

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

For those of you who like old cheapo Sci-Fi, Turner Classic Movies is running these tonight. I have seen them all.
I suggest "Queen of Outer Space" I think ZsaZsa and all the others thought they were making a comedy. Also, "The Cyclops" has the great Gloria Talbott. I think she was in almost every horror movie made in the 50's and early 60's. Actually she was damn good actress.

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: TCM SPOTLIGHT: DRIVE-IN DOUBLE FEATURES 8:00 PM 1308268800
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) EXPAND 8:00 PM 66 min
TV-PG Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) A space visitor's touch turns an unhappy heiress into a vengeful giant. Dir: Nathan Hertz Cast: Allison Hayes, William Hudson, Yvette Vickers. 66 min, TV-PG CLOSE LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW: D: Nathan Hertz (Juran). Allison Hayes, William Hudson, Yvette Vickers, Roy Gordon. A harridan with a philandering husband has an alien encounter and grows to mammoth proportions, seeks revenge on hubby. Hilariously awful sci-fi with some of the funniest special effects of all time. Remade for TV in 1993 with Daryl Hannah.
REVIEW:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9:30 PM 1308274200
Village of the Giants (1965) EXPAND 9:30 PM C-81 min
TV-PG Village of the Giants (1965) Delinquent teens ingest a substance and grow to 30 feet tall, then proceed to take over a small town. Dir: Bert I. Gordon Cast: Tommy Kirk, Johnny Crawford, Beau Bridges. C-81 min, TV-PG CLOSE BUY Attack Of The Puppet People (1958)/Village Of The Giants (1965) () ON DVD It's teenagers both tiny and titanic in a twin bill from director Bert I. Gordon. First, a demented old dollmaker discovers a way to miniaturize humans with a special machine, then keeps them as his... more
$11.99 Regularly $14.99 enlarge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11:00 PM 1308279600
Queen of Outer Space (1958) EXPAND 11:00 PM C-80 min
TV-PG Queen of Outer Space (1958) A space mission to Venus discovers a society of Amazons. Dir: Edward Bernds Cast: Zsa Zsa Gabor, Eric Fleming, Lisa Davis. C-80 min, TV-PG CLOSE LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW: D: Edward Bernds. Zsa Zsa Gabor, Eric Fleming, Laurie Mitchell, Patrick Waltz, Paul Birch, Lisa Davis, Dave Willock. Manned rocket ship from Earth is abducted to Venus, where the planet is ruled entirely by women. Silly, to say the least, but at least some of the laughs were intentional. Zsa Zsa, incidentally, does not play the title character! CinemaScope.
REVIEW: BUY Queen Of Outer Space (1958) ON DVD Camp masterpiece about a group of astronauts who land on Venus and discover a civilization populated by voluptuous women, including chief scientist Zsa Zsa Gabor. And you thought the Beverly Hills... more
$14.99 DVD Widescreen enlarge

12:30 AM 1308285000
Mars Needs Women (1968) EXPAND 12:30 AM C-82 min
TV-PG Mars Needs Women (1968) Mars invades the Earth in a search for female companionship. Dir: Larry Buchanan Cast: Tommy Kirk, Byron Lord, Yvonne Craig. C-82 min, TV-PG CLOSE

2:00 AM 1308290400
Cyclops (1957) EXPAND 2:00 AM 65 min
TV-PG Cyclops (1957) A scientific expedition discovers a 25-foot tall mutant. Dir: Bert I. Gordon Cast: James Craig, Gloria Talbott, Lon Chaney [Jr.]. 65 min, TV-PG CLOSE LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW: D: Bert I. Gordon. James Craig, Gloria Talbott, Lon Chaney, Jr., Tom Drake. Expedition scours Mexico in search of Talbott's lost fiance, discovers that radiation has transformed him into an enormous monster. Nothing much in this cheapie.
REVIEW: BUY The Cyclops (Remastered Edition) (1957) ON DVD A young American woman (Gloria Talbott) recruits a soldier-of-fortune (James Craig), a daring pilot (Tom Drake), and a wealthy speculator (Lon Chaney, Jr.) in the market for uranium to accompany her... more
$19.99 Regularly $29.99 enlarge

3:30 AM 1308295800
Manster, The (1962) EXPAND 3:30 AM 73 min
TV-PG Manster, The (1962) A mad scientist turns a reporter into a two-headed killer. Dir: George P. Breakston Cast: Peter Dyneley, Jane Hylton, Satoshi Nakamura. 73 min, TV-PG CLOSE BUY Drive-In Horror Classics (Special Edition) (Four-DVD Set) () ON DVD Travel back in time to the golden age of drive-in theaters with this four-disc collection of timeless scarefests packaged in a black leatherette case that features "The Screaming Skull," "The Head,"... more
$19.99 Was $29.99 enlarge

4:45 AM 1308300300
Killer Shrews, The (1959) EXPAND 4:45 AM 68 min
TV-PG Killer Shrews, The (1959) A maniacal scientist creates a formula that turns your average shrew into a giant, man-killing beast. Dir: Ray Kellogg Cast: James Best, Ingrid Goude, Ken Curtis. 68 min, TV-PG CLOSE LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW: D: Ray Kellogg. James Best, Ingrid Goude, Ken Curtis, Baruch Lumet, Gordon McLendon. No, this isn't about an attack of nagging wives, it's an inventive but silly sci-fi tale of people isolated on a Texas island, menaced by title creatures created by well-intentioned scientist.
REVIEW: BUY The Killer Shrews (1959)/The Giant Gila Monster (B&W/Color Versions) (1959) ON DVD No, "The Killer Shrews" is not Shakespeare's long-missing sequel! It's the shocking story of a group of scientists whose experiments create a man-eating strain of rodents (and, yes, the shrews are... more
$14.99 DVD B&W and Col enlarge

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
I, as a rule, generally do not care for or recommend French films but this one is worth mentioning. It is an interesting take on the werewolf legend...

Post subject: Re: "Brotherhood of the Bell"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:13 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Getting serious for a moment, "Brotherhood of the Bell" (1970) is a very obscure, made for TV, movie, that you definitely want to see. It's a great film, and I promise you that you will really like it. I won't get into the plot, because movies are always better, if you just let them unfold, while you watch them. (This is a pretty strong recommendation.)

............................................................................................. Starring Glenn Ford

Good luck trying to find this movie. I've been looking for it for years, with no luck. If anyone can find it for sale on DVD or VHS, please let me know. Thanks.

Cloudy, I was thinking of posting that myself. "The Brotherhood of The Bell" and "Duel" are probably the two best TV movies ever made. "Duel" is still run occasionally, but I have not seen "Brotherhood" in years. I would like to have a copy also. Glen Ford was at his best.

Frank

Post subject: Re: "Brotherhood of the Bell"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:40 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Cloudy wrote:
If anyone can find it for sale on DVD or VHS, please let me know. (Better yet, just buy it for me, and give it to me as a belated birthday present.) :lol: Thanks.

You seriously have a VCR that still works???

Post subject: Re: "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:40 am 

Cloudy wrote:

"Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" (1964) probably ain't worth watching for most grown ups, but there's a chance that your young kids or grandkids might find it entertaining. What the heck, go out and pick it up, and show it to the kiddies on Christmas eve.

I'm only suggesting it, because it could be the goofiest Christmas movie I've ever watched. Any CLOUDY suggstion that has an adjective that ends in "est" to describe a movie, might be worth watching, to see if you can come up with one that beats it. :lol:

p.s. I think it is in color.

The only time I've seen this one was when it was on MST3K. I probably couldn't have made it through the whole movie otherwise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next