New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Obscure movies you like...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
FrankC wrote:
OK. I am not sure this is an Obsure movie, but I have met very few people that ever saw it. "The Night of The Hunter". It is a beautiful, sensitive movie involving a psychopathic killer(Robert Mitchum at his best or worst). It was directed in 1955 by Charles Laughton, the only movie he ever directed. It was a flop in the the theaters and the critics ravished it. He refused any offers to direct a movie again. It is one of my alltime favorite movies and it is now considered by many to be one of the great classics.

If people here tell me it is not obscure, I will be pleased.

It is most definitely NOT obscure.
You may now enjoy being pleased.

Finally someone besides me that has seen it.

Another great movie I think is obscure is "Seconds". A Rock Hudson movie.

It may be me, but I do not think of obscure movies as being cheapo SciFi and horror movies. I think of them as being little hidden gems not seen by most people.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: I'm sure I was the first...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:

The inspiration that It, along with a couple of other 50s films, had on Alien was acknowledged by its screenwriter over thirty years ago, Cloudy.
Congratulations on your successful awakening from hypersleep... :mrgreen:
Nice call on The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. I was really looking forward to seeing it when it came out on video. It was surprisingly hard to get into it for the first 15-20 minutes or so. But when it finally turned the corner, it was a fantastic parodic homage to those B flicks of the late 50s/early 60s.

I am sure that I was the first to realize that "Alien" was a remake of "It! The Terror from Beyond Space". If the screenwriter acknowledged it over 30 years ago, he was a step or two behind me. Hell, I should have gone public way back in 1979, so I could receive the credit I deserve. It's most unlikely that I can get my ex-wife to testify that I told her this as we walked out of the theater that night a long time ago. Sadly, she is the only living person, who can back me up. :(

p.s. If there were other movies that "Alien" stole from, they must have been very peripheral. The whole plot was stolen from "It! The Terror from Beyond Space".

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "Conrack"
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:13 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Okay, here's one that ain't a comedy or old sci-fi flick. "Conrack" (1974) is one of the best movies I have ever watched. It is a true story about a South Carolina school teacher. It is wonderful, and it will make you cry at times. This was one of Jon Voight's early movies. Sadly, I do not think any of you will be able to find it anywhere to watch. After searching for it for a very long time, I was finally able to get a poor quality VHS copy. Here's a challenge, see if you can find it. If you can, I can promise you that you will not be disappointed. It is truly a great obscure movie.

p.s. I do not give bad recommendations. When I put something up here that isn't all that great, I will warn you. :D

Here is a link to some footage from this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgqO9Y-Pg_o

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "Conrack"
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:43 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Okay, here's one that ain't a comedy or old sci-fi flick. "Conrack" is one of the best movies I have ever watched. It is a true story about a South Carolina school teacher. It is wonderful, and it will make you cry at times. This was one of Jon Voight's early movies. Sadly, I do not think any of you will be able to find it anywhere to watch. After searching for it for a very long time, I was finally able to get a poor quality VHS copy. Here's a challenge, see if you can find it. If you can, I can promise you that you will not be disappointed. It is truly a great obscure movie.

p.s. I do not give bad recommendations. When I put something up here that isn't all that great, I will warn you. :D

I have seen Conrack a few times .I also read the book.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

The one, the only...

Surf Nazis Must Die!

Funny for all the wrong reasons. Adolph, Eva, Hook, & Mengele as surf punks.

Post subject: You won't believe it, but...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
The one, the only...

Surf Nazis Must Die!

You won't believe it, but I have amassed a collection of well over 23,000 titles of DVD and VHS movies, documentaries, cartoons, TV episodes, etc. However, I don't have, nor have I ever heard of "Surf Nazis Must Die!" before. Obviously it is obscure, but I would like to know a little bit more about what makes it a movie that I need to see. :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "The Commitments"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"The Commitments" (1991) is a movie that I doubt many of you have ever seen. A very good friend of mine, Q Ball, who has sadly passed away, told me that it was a movie I had to see. I watched it, and he was RIGHT! So, I will pass Q Ball's recomendation on to you guys.

If you read the description of the movie, that tells you it's about some unemployed, working class Irish kids, who want to start a soul band, you would never bother to watch it. Forget the description, WATCH IT...!!! I promise you that you will love it. :D

Here are some links to footage from the movie:

(Trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3paf2TLrgsg

(Treat Her Right}
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJDCWOv ... re=related

(Mustang Sally)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxc8Sm0n ... re=related

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Frank, what did you think of the movie?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Frank, what did you think of the movie?

I thought it was very good, and if I remember correctly it was very close to the book. I think the point was the more you expect from children and encourage them, they can It is inspiring.

Frank

Post subject: "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:05 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" (1958) probably doesn't rank as one of the best movies ever made, but I think it's pretty darn good nonetheless, and these days it most likely falls into the obscure category. I recommend you watch it, because Ray Harryhausen's special stop-motion technique, called Dynamation, is one of the major innovations in movie making. Hell, go ahead and watch it, even though it's old and not up to the special effects of what you get in movies today. Actually, I think you might like it.

Image .......... Image .......... Image .......... Image

p.s. It's a good story of adventure, excitement, and imagination.

Here's a link to the original trailer (Poor quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnP8CguLxpc

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:48 am, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:18 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

I still like that one. Have not seen it years. It is not obscure if you are in your 60's. LOL. It was a big production , not a cheapo.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:05 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I still like that one. Have not seen it years. It is not obscure if you are in your 60's. LOL. It was a big production , not a cheapo.

Thanks, I'm glad that I am not alone on "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad".

Way back when, my younger brother, Bob, and I saw it at the Capital Theater in Rome, NY, and thought it was the best movie ever made. Later it came to the drive-in, and we convinced our parents that the whole family had to go see it. We all went, and our parents liked it too. Little brother, Brian, who was probably about 2, came along also. Little Brian was in awe, and called the cyclops monkey, the two headed roc chicken, and the dragon big bow bow. Movies like this brought families closer together in those days. :lol:

p.s. There were at least two sequels: "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" and "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger".

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Thanks, I'm glad that I am not alone on "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad".

Way back when, my younger brother, Bob, and I saw it at the Capital Theater in Rome, NY, and thought it was the best movie ever made. Later it came to the drive-in, and we convinced our parents that the whole family had to go see it. We all went, and our parents liked it too. Little brother, Brian, who was probably about 3, came along too. Little Brian was in awe, and called the cyclops Monkey, the two headed roc chicken, and the dragon big bow bow. Movies like this brought families closer together in those days. :lol:

p.s. There were at least two sequels: "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" and "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger".

In 2008, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Contents [hide]

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Can someone tell me how to add pictures to my posts? Whatever I do does not work.

Frank

Post subject: Re: You won't believe it, but...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
tiefly wrote:
The one, the only...

Surf Nazis Must Die!

You won't believe it, but I have amassed a collection of well over 23,000 titles of DVD and VHS movies, documentaries, cartoons, TV episodes, etc. However, I don't have, nor have I ever heard of "Surf Nazis Must Die!" before. Obviously it is obscure, but I would like to know a little bit more about what makes it a movie that I need to see. :lol:

Doesn't the cover say it all...EGADS!!!

The movie was co-produced/directed by a friend of mine. He got his start working with George Romero in Pittsburgh, then went to the west coast to go film school. This was one of his projects.

He now does a lot of graphical novel stuff on-line, as well as set up a Christmas festival in Fairmont, WV, based on his graphic novel, Feast of the Seven Fishes. Pretty good stuff about extended family in semi-rural WV.

His name is Robert Tinnell, and he also did a nice documentary on the California Golden Trout for a Trout Unlimited chapter out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:

I thought it was very good, and if I remember correctly it was very close to the book. I think the point was the more you expect from children and encourage them, they can It is inspiring.

I should make the parents of the kids I teach watch this. They keep trying to make me lower my expectations.

Post subject: Re: "The Commitments"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:48 am 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:

"The Commitments" (1991) is a movie that I doubt many of you have ever seen. A very good friend of mine, Q Ball, who has sadly passed away, told me that it was a movie I had to see. I watched it, and he was RIGHT! So, I will pass Q Ball's recomendation on to you guys.

If you read the description of the movie, that tells you it's about some unemployed, working class Irish kids, who want to start a soul band, you would never bother to watch it. Forget the description, WATCH IT...!!! I promise you that you will love it. :D

I saw that movie in the theater while I was in High School and really enjoyed it!

Post subject: Re: "The Commitments"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brandyb wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I saw that movie in the theater while I was in High School and really enjoyed it!

Great, I'm glad to see that I am not alone on this movie also. Now that you are legally old enough to drink, watch it again. A little liquor will make it even better than the first time you saw it back in high school. The music is phenomenal.

Image ............... Image

Post subject: How to put pictures in your posts...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Can someone tell me how to add pictures to my posts? Whatever I do does not work.

(Belated edit. After seeing ICEMAN's post, these instructions are for a computer using Windows.)

There may be other ways to do it, but I will give you the procedure that DANTE taught me.

To start, just go out on the Internet and find a picture you want to use. (I will usually go to Google, type in what I want it to search for, and click on "images".)

Once you find a picture you like, right click on it, and a menu will pop up.

Go down to the bottom and left click on "Properties", and a new menu will pop up.

At this menu, about half way down, you will see "Address (URL)".

Left click and hold it down, as you drag your cursor across and down through the entire "Address (URL)". This should turn it blue.

It will stay blue after you are done.

Now, put your cursor over the blue "Address (URL)" and right click on it.

A new menu should pop up, giving you the option, "Copy". Left click on "Copy". Now you have it.

Go back to your post on the "ScaRatings". (It must still be in the process of being created or edited.)

Find the place where you want to insert the picture, with your cursor, and left click there.

The "Address (URL)" that you just copied should appear in your post. (You don't have your picture yet.)

You're almost done.

Now left click on the "Address (URL)" at it's beginning, hold your curson down, and drag it through the entire "Address (URL)", until it is entirely blue in your post.

Now look up at the top of the the box your post is in, and you will see a small task bar. The second to the last choice is "Img" in a little box. Left click on "Img".

Are you religious? Now say a prayer, cross your fingers, and simply hit enter. (Your picture won't show up until you have entered your post.)

If you've done it right, and been a good boy, your post and picture should appear.
____________________________________________________________________________________

A few other things:

I would try to avoid tiny web sites, particularly personal blogs, to copy pictures.

I may be wrong, but I believe that I have encountered problems, when I have tried to use pictures with a very long "Address (URL)". I think they have screwed up my posts, making them impossible to delete or edit, after the picture doesn't appear. If the "Address (URL)" is over 4 or 5 lines long, I look for another picture to copy.

If you want to insert more than one picture into a post, you have to do each one separately.

Sometimes after you've put a picture in a post, and think you've got it done, you get a bad surprise. The next day, when you look at it, the picture is gone, and there is only a tiny little square, with a red "X Image" in it, where the picture used to be. I have no idea what causes this, but when it happens, I just edit the post, delete the screwed up "Address (URL)", and go find another picture to put in its place.

There are some other tricks to spacing pictures in your post, and placing your comments under them, but that's a story for another day. :D

Good luck. If this doesn't work for you, send me a private message.

p.s. Hell, I wrote this off the top of my head to the best of my memory. I sure hope I didn't goof something up, or left something out. :D

COME ON FRANK, GET THOSE PICTURES UP HERE...!!!

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:55 am, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Maybe not so obscure but, this movie has a killer soundtrack. Especially if you like Meatloaf, some of the songs were written & produced by Jim Steinman, a cohort of Meatloaf. And if you can get by some of the improbable aspects & the overacting, the dang thing ain't that bad. But hey, that's Hollywood. :mrgreen:

And of course Diane Lane is an absolute bonus... Image Image

Post subject: Re: How to put pictures in your posts...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Cloudy wrote:
FrankC wrote:

There may be other ways to do it, but I will give you the procedure that DANTE taught me.

To start, just go out on the Internet and find a piture you want to use. (I will usually go to Google, type in what I want it to search for, and click on "images".)

Once you find a picture you like, right click on it, and a menu will pop up.

Go down to the bottom and left click on "Properties", and a new menu will pop up.

At this menu, about half way down, you will see "Address (URL)".

Left click and hold it down, as you drag your cursor across and down through the entire "Address (URL)". This should turn it blue.

It will stay blue after you are done.

Now, put your cursor over the blue "Address (URL)" and right click on it.

A new menu should pop up, giving you the option, "Copy". Left click on "Copy". Now you have it.

Go back to your post on the "ScaRatings". (It must still be in the process of being created or edited.)

Find the place where you want to insert the picture, with your cursor, and left click there.

The "Address (URL)" that you just copied should appear in your post. (You don't have your picture yet.)

You're almost done.

Now left click on the "Address (URL)" at it's beginning, hold your curson down, and drag it through the entire "Address (URL)", until it is entirely blue in your post.

Now look up at the top of the the box your post is in, and you will see a small task bar. The second to the last choice is "Img" in a little box. Left click on "Img".

Are you religious? Now say a prayer, cross your fingers, and simply hit enter. (Your picture won't show up until you have entered your post.)

If you've done it right, and been a good boy, your post and picture should appear.
____________________________________________________________________________________

A few other things:

I would try to avoid tiny web sites, particularly personal blogs, to copy pictures.

I may be wrong, but I believe that I have encountered problems, when I have tried to use pictures with a very long "Address (URL)". I think they have screwed up my posts, making them impossible to delete or edit, after the picture doesn't appear. If the "Address (URL)" is over 4 or 5 lines long, I look for another picture to copy.

If you want to insert more than one picture into a post, you have to do each one separately.

Sometimes after you've put a picture in a post, and think you've got it done, you get a bad surprise. The next day, when you look at it, the picture is gone, and there is only a tiny little square, with a red "X Image" in it, where the picture used to be. I have no idea what causes this, but when it happens, I just edit the post, delete the screwed up "Address (URL)", and go find another picture to put in its place.

There are some other tricks to spacing pictures in your post, and placing your comments under them, but that's a story for another day. :D

Good luck. If this doesn't work for you, send me a private message.

p.s. Hell, I wrote this off the top of my head to the best of my memory. I sure hope I didn't goof something up, or left something out. :D

COME ON FRANK, GET THOSE PICTURES UP HERE...!!!

If I remember correctly Frank, you are working with a Mac.
What you can do is open a new window, find the pic you want & capture & drag it to the place you want it in the first window, i.e. the 'post a reply' window. Then all that needs to be done is wrap the resulting code in 'img' brackets, like this, only I am using parentheses for an example...(img)whatever image you have(/img). What you really need is [brackets] surrounding the 'img'.

If you have an image on your computer it takes a couple more steps via 'attachments' but still is not too hard. PM me if that is what you need to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Maybe not so obscure but, this movie has a killer soundtrack. Especially if you like Meatloaf, some of the songs were written & produced by Jim Steinman, a cohort of Meatloaf. And if you can get by some of the improbable aspects & the overacting, the dang thing ain't that bad. But hey, that's Hollywood. :mrgreen:

For those who doesn't know what movie ICEMAN is talking about:

Great soundtrack that rejuvenated the late Dan Hartman (of Edgar Winter Group and the minor hit "Instant Replay") with the smash hit "I Can Dream About You"

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

Post subject: "Streets of Fire" video footage
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's a link to "Streets of Fire" film footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJk61DfPOug

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: ICEMAN, yoiu need to fix it...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
THE ICEMAN wrote:

ICEMAN, you need to fix it. Right now the picture you put in at the beginning of your post, presumably with the movie's name, isn't there. All I see is that little square with a red "X Image" in it. I don't know what movie you are talking about., :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
"The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" (1958) probably doesn't rank as one of the best movies ever made, but I think it's pretty darn good nonetheless, and these days it most likely falls into the obscure category. I recommend you watch it, because Ray Harryhausen's special stop-motion technique, called Dynamation, is one of the major innovations in movie making. Hell, go ahead and watch it, even though it's old and not up to the special effects of what you get in movies today. Actually, I think you might like it.

p.s. It's a good story of adventure, excitement, and imagination.

You're correct.
The special effects are not "up" to the standards of today's movies.
They're better.

Kerwin was a lot of fun in Jack the Giant Killer as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next