New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Obscure movies you like...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
MaryC wrote:
I have to reply to this one... not sure how "obscure" it is, but I don't know many people who have seen it!

http://www.imdb.com/title

Attachment:
Red Violin.jpg
/tt0120802/

This made me think of another very good movie...

An interesting take on the life of Ludwig Van.

Post subject: It's definitely obscure...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

MaryC wrote:
I have to reply to this one... not sure how "obscure" it is, but I don't know many people who have seen it!

Attachment:
Red Violin.jpg
/tt0120802/

"The Red Violin" is definitely obscure. Please tell eveyone why you like it.

This movie ain't about violins, is it? If it is, I'm all for it..! Oops, made a typo there. Meant to say "violence" not "violins". Never mind.

p.s. Gilda we all miss you, Sweetheart.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/2364/saturday ... lins-on-tv

(I acutually saw this "Saturday Night Live" episode, when it was first broadcast.)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mary, please don't be intimidated by the nonsense I post. I would actually like to hear about "The Red Violin". I don't think you have to worry about posting to this thread. So far everyone has been very polite to each other here.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Belated edit)

I went and found a movie trailer for "The Red Violin". After watching the trailer, this really looks like a wonderful movie, and I plan to add it to my collection. Thank you for a great recommendation.

Here is the link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhqgV4flGdE

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: ICEMAN, your graphics are incredible, but...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
MaryC wrote:

Attachment:
Red Violin.jpg
/tt0120802/

This made me think of another very good movie...

An interesting take on the life of Ludwig Van.

ICEMAN, your graphics are incredible, but you might like to add a few more words to them. :D

Post subject: "The Satan Bug"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"The Satan Bug" (1965) is not a great movie, by anyone's estimation, but mine. I will only recommend it to those of you, who die for sci-fi films that you have never seen. If you fit the category, this is a movie you might like to see. I think sci-fi buffs will like "The Satan Bug".

Check this flick out, sci-fi guys, I think you might like it. Hell, I did.

Here is a link to the trailer of "The Satan Bug":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij6nHUV8sac

Lets see if this gets any sci-fi people itnerested:

"Lee Barrett, a former intelligence agent, is asked by his former boss Eric Cavanaugh to investigate the murder of the security chief of Station Three — a top-secret bioweapons laboratory in the California desert — and the disappearance of its director, Dr. Baxter.

As they wait for a time lock on the sealed lab to open, they are advised by another lab scientist, Dr. Gregor Hoffman, to seal the lab using concrete. Hoffman informs them that there are two lethal bioweapons in the lab, a lethal strain of botulinus that oxidizes eight hours after its release, and a recently developed virus he calls "the Satan Bug", which could kill all life on Earth in a matter of months."

Come on you sci-fi people, this is one of the movies you must see before you die. :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:56 am 
Centenarian

Here are just a few I'd recommend. I know some aren't obscure but I know a lot of people may have heard of them but not seen them.

Metropolis - Just a great movie visually and the soundtrack I'd suggest watching it to is the 1980's version by Giorgio Moroder. The early techno/pop vibe fits the movie perfectly.

The General - Buster Keaton at his finest. He is able to express so much through his face and movements, a true genius.

Kind Hearts and Coronets - Alec Guinness plays eight characters in this funny British film.

Quick Change - I believe the only movie Bill Murray directed, this is one of the funniest movies I've seen.

After Life - Japanese film about what happens when you go to heaven. You can pick only one memory and it will be will you for eternity. Here is a great description and review about it. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 60301/1023

Walk Hard - a great send up of movies like Walk the Line, with an excellent cast and an awesome soundtrack.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - a great film about street artists, directed by Banksy. You think the movie is going to be about one think but changes half way through. Also, will leave you guessing at the end. Nominated for Best Documentary last year.

The Art of the Steal - this is the description "Documentary that follows the struggle for control of Dr. Albert C. Barnes' 25 billion dollar collection of modern and post-impressionist art." It sounds boring but it is truly a wonderful and heartbreaking film that show what can happen to a persons personal collection of art when others get involved. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Hope you enjoy my recommendations.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:57 am 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:
Brandyb wrote:
Cloudy, I love this thread and would love one on tv too. I did a lot of studing and research in college on this. Will type more later.

You do realize, of course, that you have just opened the door to all new levels of torture during our little smoke breaks, no? :twisted:

I love to chat about them!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brandyb wrote:
I love to chat about them!

When I discover that someone has studied a topic that I happen to know a lot about, "chats" tend to devolve rapidly into "grillings". :mrgreen:

cloudy wrote:
"The Satan Bug" (1965) is not a great movie, by anyone's estimation, but mine. I will only recommend it to those of you, who die for sci-fi films that you have never seen. If you fit the category, this is a movie you must see. I think sci-fi buffs will like "The Satan Bug".

This is a pretty pedestrian flick that I have always liked for reasons I have yet to determine. :D
It makes a good double feature with The Andromeda Strain.

As far as The Red Violin is concerned, it follows the passage through time of one specific violin. I believe there were four vignettes featuring the maker and owners of the violin within a wraparound story featuring the violin going to auction in a modern setting.
I kept waiting for Samuel L. Jackson to say he was "a mother f***in' violin expert". Imagine my disappointment... :mrgreen:

FrankC wrote:
Gungun Din and Danny Dever.

Frank...
You're killin' me!
First, it's Gunga Din.
Second, the correct response when someone asks if you like Kipling is always " I don't know. I've never Kippled."
We're never going to bring vaudeville back with these kinds of efforts... :mrgreen:

Post subject: "Hearts in Atlantis"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Hearts in Atlantis" (2001) is a VERY strong recommendation! It stars Anthony Hopkins. I don't think many of you have heard of it, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a great movie. Don't Google it to check it out. Knowing the plot before you see it, will ruin the movie for you. I will tell you this much. The gals will probably like this movie as much as the guys. It starts out as a sweet story that gradually evolves into mysterious excitement. If you watch this movie, I promise you that you will not be disappointed. :D

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1Mwor2QTg

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 pm 
Centenarian

Spotes, reminds me of another movie I love. I've replaced the names because it would give it away.
Man: I prefer Kipling myself. "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." Do you like Kipling?
Woman: Sure, I'll eat anything.

Post subject: Re: "And Then There Were None"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:
Wow Cloudy I actually remember that movie. I'll bet it was over 30 years ago when I watched it.

CARDS, this is frightening. It's starting to look like you and I have watched many of the same obscure movies from the past. :D

Sorry, no pizza, but what did you think of "And Then There Were None"?

Post subject: "Cursed with Charisma"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'll eat my hat, if any of you guys have ever seen "Cursed with Charisma" (1987). It's one of three short films on a video titled, "Really Weird Tales". The story tells the tale of the failing town of Fitchville. A mysterious stranger stirs things up with a "no money down" real estate scheme. This very short film stars John Candy. If you can find it, buy it. It's funnier than Hell.

The other two short flicks on the video aren't that bad either, but "Cursed with Charisma" is something that you need to see!

John Candy was always one of my favorite comedians. It is so sad that he died so young. If you were a John Candy fan, you must see "Cursed with Charisma", and if you weren't, you still need to watch it.

p.s. It has a surprise ending.

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, after doing a lil peeking and poking around in IMDb, turns out that what I thought was a made for TV movie (seen by me sometime in the mid-90s, before I moved from The Horribly Site-Poor San Francisco Bay Area to The (Just Plain Old) Site-Poor Backyard) was in fact a three episode mini-series originally telecast over The British Broadcorping Castration. For whatever reason(s), this somehow continues to pop up in my increasingly decrepit, fragile lil mind:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Your image (Img) doesn't show up on my computer screen...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, after doing a lil peeking and poking around in IMDb, turns out that what I thought was a made for TV movie (seen by me sometime in the mid-90s, before I moved from The Horribly Site-Poor San Francisco Bay Area to The (Just Plain Old) Site-Poor Backyard) was in fact a three episode mini-series originally telecast over The British Broadcorping Castration. For whatever reason(s), this somehow continues to pop up in my increasingly decrepit, fragile lil mind:

Your image (Img) doesn't show up on my computer screen... I just get that little box with a red "x" in it, where the picture ought to be. I'm sure that everyone else got it, but I am still in the dark as to the film you are referring to.

Post subject: Re: Your image (Img) doesn't show up on my computer screen..
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Your image (Img) doesn't show up on my computer screen... I just get that little box with a red "x" in it, where the picture ought to be. I'm sure that everyone else got it, but I am still in the dark as to the film you are referring to.

Hells bells. :( Maybe this IMDb link will help a lil:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096584/

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brandyb wrote:
Spotes, reminds me of another movie I love. I've replaced the names because it would give it away.
Man: I prefer Kipling myself. "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." Do you like Kipling?
Woman: Sure, I'll eat anything.

I would expose the answer, but there are ladies present. :mrgreen:

Post subject: It shows up now...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Thanks, it shows up now. Read the IMDb comment on "First Born". It sounds like an interesting plot. It was a 3 episode British television mini-series produced by the BBC in 1988.

___________________________________________________________________________________

(Belated Edit)

Shucks, the image is gone again. So I went out to Google and got my own.

(I think images taken from IMDb might be a problem...?)

I can find no film footage to Charles Dance's "First Born":
:(

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: "Men of Honor"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Perhaps "Men of Honor" (2000) isn't terribly obscure, but I would guess that many of you haven't seen it. You need to, it is a wonderful movie! It's the true story of the first Black Navy diver, Carl Brashear. It stars Robert De Niro and Cuba Gooding Jr. Gals, you don't have to worry, this ain't some macho guy war movie. You will enjoy it as much as the guys. Guys, you DO have to worry, because tears will roll down your cheeks before the movie is over. (It is not a documentary.)

p.s. Carl Brashear was from Tonieville, Kentucky, of all places. (Try to find it on the map. It's a long way from the ocean.)

Here's a link to a couple minutes of film footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-c5YGqvMmY

This is the real Carl Brashear:

Image .......... Image

................ Then... ................................................................ and now.

Last edited by Cloudy on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:18 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: It shows up now...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
liljol wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Thanks, it shows up now. Read the IMDb comment on "First Born". It sounds like an interesting plot. It was a 3 episode British television mini-series produced by the BBC in 1988.

Well, apparently the mini-series was not all that faithful to the original book "Gor Saga" (imagine that). Probably the best known of the cast was Gabrielle Anwar, who did the memorable dance with Al Pacino in "Scent Of A Woman".

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: "The Reivers"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"The Reivers" (1969) stars Steve McQeen in a movie that I would guess most of you have never seen. This is a film that I'm sure the gals will like, and the guys might like it too. It's a fun movie, that I think all will enjoy.

Anybody ever see it?

Here's a link to some film footage from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b54hl_1msMY

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yup. I've seen it. While I generally enjoy a Steve McQueen movie, there is a reason it is 'obscure'.

While on the McQueen theme, check out his last movie before he died... The Hunter. Certainly not his best effort but very entertaining.

Post subject: Man, you keep killing me...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
[color=#000000]Yup. I've seen it. While I generally enjoy a Steve McQueen movie, there is a reason it is 'obscure'.

Man, you keep killing me with reviews like this of movies I recommend. Obviously, "The Reivers" was not your kind of movie, but perhaps it might be for some other folks. Admittedly, this is not the typical Steve McQueen action movie that many of his fans might have expected. However, it's a good movie, with a good story nonetheless.

By the way IMDb gives it 7 stars.

p.s. A few words of explanation might be a good idea.

p.p.s. Thought I was done, but Thumper just e-mailed me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs

Post subject: Re: Man, you keep killing me...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
THE ICEMAN wrote:
Yup. I've seen it. While I generally enjoy a Steve McQueen movie, there is a reason it is 'obscure'.

Man, you keep killing me with reviews like this of movies I recommend. Obviously, "The Reivers" was not your kind of movie, but perhaps it might be for some other folks. Admittedly, this is not the typical Steve McQueen action movie that many of his fans might have expected. However, it's a good movie, with a good story nonetheless.

By the way IMDb gives it 7 stars.

p.s. A few words of explanation might be a good idea.

p.p.s. Thought I was done, but Thumper just e-mailed me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs

Fine. McQueen playing the part of a young hayseed while he was actually in his late 30's just didn't work for me. McQueen just mailed this one in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:16 am 
Centenarian

So Cloudy, any comments on the movies I suggested?

Post subject: Re: "And Then There Were None"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:47 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Cloudy wrote:
cards wrote:
Wow Cloudy I actually remember that movie. I'll bet it was over 30 years ago when I watched it.

CARDS, this is frightening. It's starting to look like you and I have watched many of the same obscure movies from the past. :D

I thought they did a good job with Christie's book. It was an entertaining mystery. I also liked the original 13 Ghosts made in 1960. It was one of Martin Milner's early films.

Post subject: "13 Gosts"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
cards wrote:

I thought they did a good job with Christie's book. It was an entertaining mystery. I also liked the original 13 Ghosts made in 1960. It was one of Martin Milner's early films.

It's been a long time, but I remember the original "13 Ghosts" too. It was a damn good horror movie for the times, and I liked it a lot. There was a remake of it probaby 20 or 30 years later. Though I have the remake, I'm pretty sure I've never watched it.

Image .......... Image .......... Image .......... Image

Here's a link to the original trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smki4Vupb9Q

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next