New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thumb Wrestling...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Cloudy wrote:
Even though Thumb Wrestling might still be around somewhere these days, I think the sport is no longer as common as it was back in the 1960s. It is sad that this challenging sport never made it to the Olympic Games. If only it had, I'm sure that I would have won the gold medal at least once, because NO ONE has ever defeated me at thumb wrestling. :lol:

Hell, I'll take on all comers. Nah, I'm not gonna pin your chubby, slow, loser thumb on for money, we will just play for fun and bragging rights. :lol:

Screw that!!! If you're not willing to give up a beer, I'm not gonna bother thrashing you. 8-)

Post subject: You're on for a beer...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Even though Thumb Wrestling might still be around somewhere these days, I think the sport is no longer as common as it was back in the 1960s. It is sad that this challenging sport never made it to the Olympic Games. If only it had, I'm sure that I would have won the gold medal at least once, because NO ONE has ever defeated me at thumb wrestling. :lol:

Hell, I'll take on all comers. Nah, I'm not gonna pin your chubby, slow, loser thumb on for money, we will just play for fun and bragging rights. :lol:

Screw that!!! If you're not willing to give up a beer, I'm not gonna bother thrashing you. 8-)

Okay, you're on for a beer...!

I should warn you that I am a thumb wrestling legend. The "Thumb Wrestling Hall of Fame" installed a statue of my never defeated thumb at the entrance to their building.

p.s. I'm not surprised that Liljol hasn't jumped into this fray. As I understand it, the World Thumb Wrestling Association banned him for life, when he was caught spreading grease on the top of his thumb and spraying Stickum on the bottom of it. :lol:

Post subject: Have we done corner phone booths yet...?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm not sure if we have done "Corner Phone Booths" yet, but I will apologize if I am duplicating a previous post.

There might be a few phone booths left, but there aren't many of them, and soon there will be none. The cell phone has pretty much done to them what the automobile did to the horse drawn buggy.

I believe that these dinosaurs of the communications age, that have been torn from the bolts that held them to the concrete, are for sale. I say go ahead and buy one. It can only appreciate in value as time goes by. If you have a bar in your basement, I think it would be really neat to have one of these old phone booths down there next to the bar. It would be cool to hook up a recording of Lily Tomlin to it saying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIOogEaO3Hc

(Heck, your friends would be shoving quarters down the slot to hear it over and over again, and it wouldn't be long before you recovered the cost of the telephone booth and started making a profit.) :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Have we done corner phone booths yet...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 pm 
Centenarian

Part of what Cloudy wrote wrote:
[snip]...
I believe that these dinosaurs of the communications age, that have been torn from the bolts that held them to the concrete, are for sale. I say go ahead and buy one. It can only appreciate in value as time goes by. If you have a bar in your basement, I think it would be really neat to have one of these old phone booths down there next to the bar...
[snip]

Or you might want to revive the old late-1950's fad of youngsters cramming themselves into a phone booth. ;)

Post subject: Re: Have we done corner phone booths yet...?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:45 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

SEKA wrote:
Part of what Cloudy wrote wrote:
[snip]...
I believe that these dinosaurs of the communications age, that have been torn from the bolts that held them to the concrete, are for sale. I say go ahead and buy one. It can only appreciate in value as time goes by. If you have a bar in your basement, I think it would be really neat to have one of these old phone booths down there next to the bar...
[snip]

Or you might want to revive the old late-1950's fad of youngsters cramming themselves into a phone booth. ;)

Stuffing phone booths was replaced by stuffing Volkswagens.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Dang, if only I were there that day...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

SEKA wrote:

Dang, If only I were there that day. I think, as skinny as I was back then, I could have wiggled into the phone booth to help them make the "Guiness Book of World Records".

Post subject: Yes, I remember the Volkswagen stuffing craze...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:55 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Stuffing phone booths was replaced by stuffing Volkswagens.

Yes, I remember the Volkswagen stuffing craze of the 1960s. As I recall there was a lot of inapproriate touching going on as guys and gals squeezed up to each other. :lol:

Post subject: Piano destruction...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

As I recall there was another goofy craze going on in the 1960s. I Googled it, but could find no reference to the piano destruction competition, so I will attempt to tell you how it went, as best as I can remember. (I could be wrong as to exactly how it went.)

Here's what I remember:

There was a piano sitting on the floor and a four foot open wooden square fairly close to it. It was a timed competition to dismantle the piano, and pass all of its parts through the four foot square as fast as possible. (Heck, it might have been a three foot square.)

Does anyone remember this insane craze of the 1960s besides me...?

Image ....................Image

Post subject: Re: Piano destruction...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:02 am 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:
As I recall there was another goofy craze going on in the 1960s. I Googled it, but could find no reference to the piano destruction competition, so I will attempt to tell you how it went, as best as I can remember. (I could be wrong as to exactly how it went.)

Here's what I remember:

There was a piano sitting on the floor and a four foot open wooden square fairly close to it. It was a timed competition to dismantle the piano, and pass all of its parts through the four foot square as fast as possible. (Heck, it might have been a three foot square.)

Does anyone remember this insane craze of the 1960s besides me...?

Image ....................Image

I never heard of it. And since you're showing a grand piano, I cannot imagine having all of its parts fit into a four-foot square, especially if you're including the wooden frame and the chair.

Post subject: Re: Try to Remember...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I thought I saw it (piano destruction) mentioned in the 1972 Guiness Book of World Records. I did not see a similar record on the Guiness web site though.

-- RWM

Post subject: Zog, you found more about it than I did...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I thought I saw it (piano destruction) mentioned in the 1972 Guiness Book of World Records. I did not see a similar record on the Guiness web site though.

-- RWM

Zog, you found more about it than I did. Where did you find it?

Post subject: Re: Zog, you found more about it than I did...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:15 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

Zog, you found more about it than I did. Where did you find it?

This book was a birthday gift that I read extensively. I do recall seeing a category for fastest piano destruction passing the remains through a square of a specified size. I may have recalled this because the record sounded so weird... Unfortunately I lost that book years ago. But you could still look in your local library (another Try to Remember post? :P ) and retrieve that bit of info...

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:11 pm 
Centenarian

I was on a recent trip to Seattle, and while waiting in the airport lounge, I was watching all the travelers carrying their luggage. I suddenly thought to myself, "I'm old enough to remember when luggage and suitcases didn't have any wheels!" :o

Having wheels on suitcases/luggage is probably the most dramatic change of air travel from today, as compared to yesteryear.

Post subject: Wheels on the bottom and a strap to pull it by...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

SEKA wrote:
I was on a recent trip to Seattle, and while waiting in the airport lounge, I was watching all the travelers carrying their luggage. I suddenly thought to myself, "I'm old enough to remember when luggage and suitcases didn't have any wheels!" :o

Having wheels on suitcases/luggage is probably the most dramatic change of air travel from today, as compared to yesteryear.

I had one of the first suitcases that had wheels on the botton and a strap to pull it by...

I couldn't find a picture of it on Google Images, but it looked something like this with wheels on the bottom:

Though I thought it made sense when I bought it, the damn thing kept falling over on its side, while I tried to pull it through the airport. :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

SEKA wrote:

I think it might be the free hernia tests provided by the TSA.
I don't remember my luggage ever making it to third base, at any rate, wheels or not... :mrgreen:

Post subject: If Bobby Riggs could play tennis...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
SEKA wrote:

I think it might be the free hernia tests provided by the TSA.
I don't remember my luggage ever making it to third base, at any rate, wheels or not... :mrgreen:

If Bobby Riggs could play tennis, while carrying a bucket of water around the court, as great a baseball player as you are, I think you should be able to get your luggage to third base with you, after a hit to right field that goes down the line and caroms off the wall behind the right fielder. :lol:

"SPOTES, I'm ready to play, and I've got a suitcase without wheels, that I'll carry around the court with me. It's your serve..."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:34 pm 
Centenarian

You would have to be living in the 1960's or the 1970's (or even in the early-1980's) if you remember that the so-called "entertainment console" in your living room consisted of a radio, stereo record player, and a TV set, housed in one large wooden frame!

My family didn't have one quite like that, but my dad's friend did. IIRC, it was either a Zenith or a Magnavox.

Here's a sample photo. (And no, this is not mine or anyone else that I knew)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:06 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I had one of those in my bedroom in the late 70s early 80s. Record player on the top left, and stereo/8 track on the top right.

I currently have a vintage record player console (no tv) in my bedroom with all of the packing materials and tags that were on it in the 70s when it was sold. Every once in awhile I dust off the vinyl and fire it up. 8-)

Post subject: Anybody here ever do the Limbo...?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Anybody here ever do the Limbo...?

It was a "dance" in the early 1960s, where everybody at the party lined up and danced under a pole, one at a time. Only your feet were allowed to touch the ground, and if any other part of your anatomy did, you were out of the competition. After everyone had their shot at it, the pole was lowered, and those who had made it under the pole tried it again. The lowering of the pole, and the elimination of the dancers continued until there was only one person left.

Here's a link to limbo dance instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXpPphBR5-Y

Here's a link to a group of gals, who don't need to watch the above link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPEif3y41sg

Here's a link to Chubby Checker singing the "Limbo Rock", which we danced to in 1962:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfrqaujLY8c

p.s. If I remember correctly, I believe that our liljol won the Limbo dancing contest, when he was on "American Bandstand". He was able to wiggle beneath the pole, when it was lowered to a mere 11.5 inches above the floor. :D

p.p.s. As amazing as liljol's preformance was, it doesn't come close to the Guinness World's Record for the Limbo, currently held by Shemika Charles at 8.5 inches. (Supposedly, Teresa Marquis actually went lower to just 6.5 inches, but for some reason Guinness doesn't recognize Teresa's claim.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Post subject: Avoid Damage to Speaker and Car...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:

Never ripped the car window out, or sent the drive-in car speaker crashing to the gravel as I drove off. Did you...? :lol:

p.s. Haven't been to a drive-in movie since 1970. Assuming that drive-in movies still exist, do they still have those heavy metallic speakers that you hung inside of your window to hear the movie?

Post subject: Re: Avoid Damage to Speaker and Car...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:45 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
THE ICEMAN wrote:

Never ripped the car window out, or sent the drive-in car speaker crashing to the gravel as I drove off. Did you...? :lol:

p.s. Haven't been to a drive-in movie since 1970. Assuming that drive-in movies still exist, do they still have those heavy metallic speakers that you hung inside of your window to hear the movie?

Nope, but I do remember sneaking friends into the drive-in hidden in the trunk. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:36 am 
Nonagenarian

Cloudy wrote:
THE ICEMAN wrote:

They still exist and the ones that have survived still pack the lots most weekends, at least around this area. I'm almost too young to remember the heavy metallic speakers but for the most part they aren't around anymore. Drive-ins these days still have the poles up that the speakers were mounted on when not in use but for sound, you simply tune your radio to a certain frequency.

2013 was actually a make or break year for several drive-ins and saw an even further decline in them as the film industry stopped producing the 35mm film that most of them used so they either had to pony up close to $100k for new digital projectors or close up shop.

Post subject: Only did it once...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
THE ICEMAN wrote:

Nope, but I do remember sneaking friends into the drive-in hidden in the trunk. 8-)

I only climbed into the trunk once.

It was way back in 1970, and the last time I went to a drive-in movie. Our nextdoor neighbors in base housing at NAS Whiting Field, in Milton, FL, were a Marine flight instructor Captain, and his wife. I was a lowly 2nd Lieutenant student pilot. We were having a good time playing cards, drinking brewskis, when my wife said that there was a good movie at the drive-in, and that we should go see it. So we did.

As we approached the drive in, I think I said something like, "Hell, they charge by the head. Why don't Rob and I climb in the trunk and cut the price in half.". So we did.

As Captain Rob, USMC, climbed into the trunk of my Plymouth Fury, he looked at me and said, "Lieutenant, you better not fart!" So I didn't.

What a risky thing we did that night was. If we got caught, it could have ended our military careers. However, we didn't.

(Marines are never so brave, so bold, or perhaps so foolish as they are after downing a few too many brewskis.) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brutus wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
THE ICEMAN wrote:

They still exist and the ones that have survived still pack the lots most weekends, at least around this area. I'm almost too young to remember the heavy metallic speakers but for the most part they aren't around anymore. Drive-ins these days still have the poles up that the speakers were mounted on when not in use but for sound, you simply tune your radio to a certain frequency.

2013 was actually a make or break year for several drive-ins and saw an even further decline in them as the film industry stopped producing the 35mm film that most of them used so they either had to pony up close to $100k for new digital projectors or close up shop.

(Sorry about adding the underline to your post, but I wanted others to know where I took it from.)

"I'm almost too young to remember..." What a wonderful predicament to find yourself in. It beats the Hell out of "I'm almost too old to remember." That's where I am today. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next