New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Yeah, I think so...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Do You remember Trolley busses?

Chicago made a mistake selling them for the copper.

No, I never actually saw a trolley bus in person, though I have seen pictures of them. I think that only big cities had them, and my sheltered life only took me to small cities and towns. Louisville is the biggest city that I have ever lived in, and if Louisville once had trolley buses, they were long gone before I arrived here in 1974.

p.s. Your photo image just became only little red "X" in a tiny box.

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: I am very late to respond about "Fizzies"
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
What were the flavored Alka Selzer tablets called? Oh yes Fizzies. They were horrible.

Frank, I am very late to respond to your "Fizzies" post. Of course I remember them. Yes, you are right, they were pretty terrible, but they were fun back in the day, when your mom didn't restock the fridge with real soda pop every day. (When I was a kid, soda pop was a treat, that we only had every once in a while.)

I've got some good news for you. It looks like Fizzies might be back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqCegJd2HRQ

p.s. Not only are they fun, they are good for you also...!

Post subject: Steel tipped "Jarts"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Steel tipped "Jarts" were fun, but sadly some kids got killed by them, and I have heard stories of them coming down and puncturing the hoods of cars. I played with steel tipped Jarts with my brothers at my mom's house, and we never killed anyone, and we never punctured anything except the lawn, where they came down. I believe that after they were banned, they came out with non-lethal "Jarts" that were entirely plastic.

Has anyone else out there ever played the steel tipped "Jarts" game...?

If this link is correct, I guess there are still some people out there playing "Jarts". However, it has probably been 30 years since I last lofted a Jart into the air.

http://www.jarts.com/2011.htm

Post subject: Re: Steel tipped "Jarts"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Steel tipped "Jarts" were fun, but sadly some kids got killed by them, and I have heard stories of them coming down and puncturing the hoods of cars. I played with steel tipped Jarts with my brothers at my mom's house, and we never killed anyone, and we never punctured anything except the lawn, where they came down. I believe that after they were banned, they came out with non-lethal "Jarts" that were entirely plastic.

If this link is correct, I guess there are still some people out there playing "Jarts". However, it has probably been 30 years since I last lofted a Jart into the air.

If remember correctly, they got banned because picnic drunks decide to play Jart catching games and several people in several states ended up with them imbedded in their skulls or eye sockets. Little kids were not the problem. When we played we knew they were very dangerous and so we were very careful. You did not play in a crowd.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Re: Steel tipped "Jarts"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

If remember correctly, they got banned because picnic drunks decide to play Jart catching games and several people in several states ended up with them imbedded in their skulls or eye sockets. Little kids were not the problem. When we played we knew they were very dangerous and so we were very careful. You did not play in a crowd.

I still have a scar in my ankle from where I got too close to a flying Jart. God I miss that game! :)

Post subject: Re: Trolley Cars
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Yeah, I know that they still have trollies in New Orleans, San Francisco still has it's Cable Cars, and some other cities have public transportation that mimics trolley cars. However, those beasts that once patrolled the streets are for the most part gone today, and I no longer have to worry about those clanging things running me over anymore.

Well, hell bells, CLOUDY, you may be more than a lil interested to see what The San Diego Trolley is doing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Trolley

Nowadays I drag my poor tired lil old cheap grumpy ass onto either The Trolley or the connecting bus lines at least twice a week. That usually includes one trip out and back to Pacific Beach Bar & Grill on Tuesdays and another (at least for now) to Gilly's Bar on Fridays (which almost always also includes a trip to a Souplantation).

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Be careful LilJol...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Yeah, I know that they still have trollies in New Orleans, San Francisco still has it's Cable Cars, and some other cities have public transportation that mimics trolley cars. However, those beasts that once patrolled the streets are for the most part gone today, and I no longer have to worry about those clanging things running me over anymore.

Well, hell bells, CLOUDY, you may be more than a lil interested to see what The San Diego Trolley is doing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Trolley

Nowadays I drag my poor tired lil old cheap grumpy ass onto either The Trolley or the connecting bus lines at least twice a week. That usually includes one trip out and back to Pacific Beach Bar & Grill on Tuesdays and another (at least for now) to Gilly's Bar on Fridays (which almost always also includes a trip to a Souplantation).

Be Careful LilJol. Look both ways twice before dashing over the trolley tracks to get across the street. San Diego might call them light rail, but if you trip and fall in front of one of those trolleys. you will have a closed casket funeral. :cry:

p.s. I think steel tipped Jarts are less lethal. :lol:

Post subject: "Clackers"...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Image .......... Image

In the late 1960's and early 1970's "Clackers" were quite a toy fad. We all had fun for a while clacking away, until the clacker balls started exploding and injuring people. Even though I never had one explode on me, whatever government agency that regulates toys banned them.

p.s. I have since learned that they tried to make a comeback in the 1990's, but never really caught on. (Hell, how could styrofoam Clackers ever give anyone a thrill, let alone "CLACK"...?) :lol:

Post subject: The real push lawn mower...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

How many of you have ever mowed an entire lawn with a REAL push mower. That would be one that had no engine, and only moved or cut the grass as you pushed it. That's what I had when I was a kid, and my parents paid me $3.00, when the lawn was done. I'm guessing our lawn at 3 Pleasant Drive, Rome, NY., was about a quarter of an acre.

I'm not sure what I spent all of those three dollars on, but if I had to guess, it was probably baseball cards.

It did not pollute, it made you sweat, and it made you strong. :D

Post subject: Re: Try to Remember...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:17 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

How about the "Super Ball"!

A very hard rubber substance ball that would bounce freakishly high when thrown with all my might at the cement basketball court by my house. Even the second bounce was pretty impressive.

I wish I could defy gravity like the Super Ball...EGADS!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:11 am 
Lotsa Posta

tiefly wrote:
How about the "Super Ball"!

A very hard rubber substance ball that would bounce freakishly high when thrown with all my might at the cement basketball court by my house. Even the second bounce was pretty impressive.

I wish I could defy gravity like the Super Ball...EGADS!!!

I emember that I hit a Super Ball with a baseball bat just to see how far it would travel. I never found that ball. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:25 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Drop a basketball on a gym floor with a super ball balanced on top, and it will shoot off like a champagne cork

They also annoy the hell out of cats, especially if thrown with spin so they bounce chaotically

Post subject: Re: Yeah, I think so...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
FrankC wrote:
Do You remember Trolley busses?

Chicago made a mistake selling them for the copper.

No, I never actually saw a trolley bus in person, though I have seen pictures of them. I think that only big cities had them, and my sheltered life only took me to small cities and towns. Louisville is the biggest city that I have ever lived in, and if Louisville once had trolley buses, they were long gone before I arrived here in 1974.

p.s. Your photo image just became only little red "X" in a tiny box.

Left Click on the red X and then click Show Picture.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Propane buses also traveled this route.

Frank

Last edited by FrankC on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The real push lawn mower...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:32 am 
Octogenarian

Cloudy wrote:

How many of you have ever mowed an entire lawn with a REAL push mower. That would be one that had no engine, and only moved or cut the grass as you pushed it. That's what I had when I was a kid, and my parents paid me $3.00, when the lawn was done. I'm guessing our lawn at 3 Pleasant Drive, Rome, NY., was about a quarter of an acre.

I'm not sure what I spent all of those three dollars on, but if I had to guess, it was probably baseball cards.

I still use one of those lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:13 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

defined1 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

So do I, but I have only a small patch to mow.

Frank

Post subject: Here are two things that we will never see again...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:52 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here are two things that we will never see again...

Gas at 29 cents a gallon.

The other is cigarettes at 4 cents a pack. I never saw them at the price. I was looking for a Google image that showed them at 30 cents a pack, but this is the best I could come up with:

(Yeah, that price was way before any of us were born, and after the Thanksgiving special they probably cost a nickel.)

p.s. At 4 cents a pack, pretty much everybody would still be smoking. :lol: (I know, not everybody.)

p.p.s. I may be a little bit wrong, but I believe, when I was overseas back in 1971, a pack of cigarettes only cost 13 cents on base.

Post subject: Rabbit Ears...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I think Rabbit Ears are gone forever...

I've got a feeling that some of the youngsters on the "ScaRatings" might have no idea what Rabbit Ears were, or what they were used for. :D

Post subject: Re: You're right... they were mono...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:56 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
p.s This was a long post, but a lot of fun for me, to tell everyone that 45 rpm records didn't need to be stereo.

Somehow you turned this thread into "Music from the Stone Ages" :)

Hmm... I have tons of music made from 78's that had been recorded using instruments that were SO old-fashioned that there was no place to plug 'em in... They played into ONE microphone that sent the signal directly to the record cutter without any mixing equipment in the way cuz it hadn't been invented yet...

And that's the newer ones... I have a few that had originally been recorded thusly: The players and singers jammed themselves closely together in front of a gigantic acoustical horn and played and sang as loudly as they could into it. Then the sounds would go (with almost no accuracy) directly from the other end of the horn to the record cutter... These early acoustics are kinda hard to enjoy, but have historical significance, I keep telling myself...

So, how do I listen to these? iTunes, of course :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

defined1 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

DEFINED1 and FrankC I'm damn proud of you guys. Push it forward, pull it back, and push it forward again. Before you know it the lawn is done. My father once wrote a poem long before I was born, that talked about a push mower's "pleasant tune". Great poet that he once was, he still paid me $3.00 to mow our quarter of an acre, instead of pushing it himself. I liked the pleasant tune of $3.00 to go out and buy baseball cards with. :D

p.s. Dad died in 1979, and mom went to a nursing home a couple of weeks ago. That poem is somewhere in their house, and I must find it, before it winds up in a landfill. If I can, I will post it here.

Post subject: Re: I hate to disappoint you, but...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:
Speaking of Saturday mornings, how about the original Fireball XL-5 series? I still remember having a plastic maybe 18-21 inch model of that as a kid as well

TCHCNB, I hate to disappoint you, but the original Fireball XL-5 series would be a new TV program for a 65-year-old. We old folks are more likely to remember "Howdy Doody" "Pinky Lee", or "Andy's Gang" kid's shows from the 1950's.

However, please don't be afraid to put what you consider to be things from the past that you remember. The old folks, who post here, will understand that there is such a thing as a generation (possibly two) gap, and we must respect, what you young guys consider to be "The Old Days".

On Saturday mornings how about Fury, Sky King, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Paul Winchel and Jerry Mahoney, and even earlier were Space Patrol and Tom Corbett Space Cadet.

Frank

Post subject: I was into "Sky King"...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:

On Saturday mornings how about Fury, Sky King, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Paul Winchel and Jerry Mahoney, and even earlier were Space Patrol and Tom Corbett Space Cadet.

FrankC, I was into "Sky King", but I liked Paul Winchel and Jerry Mahoney too. I didn't care for "Fury" all that much, but I did watch it sometimes. Sorry, somehow in my childhood, I missed out on "Tales of Texas Ranges". We only got two channels back then, and maybe it was on one we didn't get.

Once again, CLOUDY will digress to a boring true story from his past, an embarrassing one at that. (This digression spins off of "Sky King".) It was in the 4th grade, and we had "Weekly Readers" that we were actually supposed to read, to learn about current events. Sometimes I read them, and sometimes I didn't. This was one of those "didn't" times. The next day in Miss Hawk's class, she asked this question from the "Weekly Reader", "What is the name of President Eisenhower's airplane?". Three seconds went by, and nobody raised their hand. Guess what... I raised mine, and blurted out a wrong answer that sent all of my classmates into riotous laughter.

My answer was, "The Songbird", which every one of my 4th grade classmates knew was Sky King's airplane. (Eisenhower's plane was called the Columbine.)

p.s. That was 56 years ago, and I still blurt out wrong answers on NTN trivia questions in bars even today. However, at least everyone doesn't fall off of their bar stools, laughing at me, when I do.) :lol:

(Gosh, you would think, after all of this time, that I would finally have learned.) :lol:

Post subject: Burma-Shave signs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Only you old folks will remember actually seeing Burma-Shave signs along the side of the highway. As a kid riding with my parents along US 20 in Upstate New York headed for Connecticut and back, I saw them many a time. The interstate highways with their 60 mph speed limits put an end to them. :cry:

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Burma Shave signs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Only you old folks will remember actually seeing Burma Shave signs along the side of the highway. As a kid riding with my parents along US 20 in Upstate New York headed for Connecticut and back, I saw them many a time. The interstate highways with their 60 mph speed limits put an end to them.

I Shave with Burma Shave. It is only a dollar a can at Wallgrens. I live a half block off US 20. It goes from Portland to Boston. I have been to both ends.

Frank

Post subject: Re: Burma Shave signs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:59 pm 
Lotsa Posta

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Only you old folks will remember actually seeing Burma Shave signs along the side of the highway. As a kid riding with my parents along US 20 in Upstate New York headed for Connecticut and back, I saw them many a time. The interstate highways with their 60 mph speed limits put an end to them.

I Shave with Burma Shave. It is only a dollar a can at Wallgrens. I live a half block off US 20. It goes from Portland to Boston. I have been to both ends.

http://burma-shave.org/jingles/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next