Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thanks Frank...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
There is a new "Sherlock" TV series on the BBC.

Has anyone seen any of these updated Sherlock Holmes stories from the BBC? From what I hear they are pretty good.

Yes, I have seen them on PBS. I think they are great. I believe you will enjoy them.

Thanks Frank. Now I guess I will have to spend some money to pick up the newer episodes as well, and watch them all. :D

Post subject: Re: SHERLOCK HOLMES
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 am 
Centenarian

I agree, I've watched them too and I really enjoyed them.

Post subject: BrandyB, it is so good to see you back...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brandyb wrote:
I agree, I've watched them too and I really enjoyed them.

BrandyB, it is so good to see you back. We've been missing you. How much of a Sherlockian are you? Could you be the Irene Adler of the "ScaRatings"?

..............................Image

......................................................... "Wouldn't you like to know, but I keep my secrets."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:12 am 
King or Queen Postalot

Hey Cloudy, got ten quid burning a hole in your trousers?

Sherlock's Mind t-shirt, apparently only available today

http://www.teefury.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
Hey Cloudy, got ten quid burning a hole in your trousers?

Sherlock's Mind t-shirt, apparently only available today

http://www.teefury.com/

Looks good, but I'll pass. Thanks anyway. :D

Post subject: Robert Downey, Jr.'s recent Sherlock Holmes movies...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0hXhGt5XPg

The first one wasn't all that bad. (It wasn't all that good either, but acceptable for Sherlockians.). However, his second Sherlock Holmes movie stunk. The second one stunk, because Mr. Downey was no longer playing Sherlock holmes, but some silly new super hero, that had absolutely NOTHING to do with Sherlock Holmes.

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1OYiPa-eLg

If anyone feels differently, I would like to hear your comments.

p.s. Both movies actually were pretty good as far as entertainment went. However, for most Sherlockians, they didn't come close to portaying the real Sherlock Holmes character that Arthur Conan Doyle created. I don't think the screen writers or director really cared about presenting the real Sherlock Holmes, which they could have done. They were more interested in creating an action movie, that used Sherlock Holmes' name to attract people to watch it.

As off the mark as the Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies were in the 1930's and 1940's, they portayed a Holmes that was much closer to the character that Doyle created.

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue May 14, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Robert Downey's recent Sherlock Holmes movies...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

The first one wasn't all that bad. (It wasn't all that good either, but acceptable for Sherlockians.). However, his second Sherlock holmes movie stunk. The second one stunk, because Mr. Downey was no longer playing Sherlock holmes, but some silly new super hero, that had absolutely NOTHING to do with Sherlock Holmes.

If anyone feels differently, I would like to hear your comments.

I agree.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: While I'm at it...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

While I'm at it, any Sherlock Holmes movie, novel, short story, pastiche, etc. that tries to suggest a love affair between Holmes and Irene Adler is complete nonsense. Yes, Holmes refers to Irene as "The Woman". but his comment was only out of respect for her cleverness, and had nothing to do with romance.

Enough for me tonight. Goodnight y'all, I'm going to bed.

Post subject: The WORST Sherlock Holmes movie ever...!
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Sherlock Holmes" (2010) is the WORST Sherlock Holmes movie ever made...! It stars Ben Syder and Garth David-Lloyd as Holmes and Watson. The plot is... oops... I don't think it actually had a plot. However, pretending that it did, the plot stinks. The casting sucks, and the acting could hardly be more terrible. It's a goofy story about Sherlock's brother gone crazy, and inventing mechanical monsters to terrorize England. In this movie the rotund Mycroft is skinny, and the ferret faced Lestrade is fat, with a big round face. It would seem that the idiots, who put this movie together had little or no knowledge of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, or just didn't care. It's a film that the editors should have left ever inch of on the cutting room floor.

NEVER watch this movie, unless you have poison in your stomach, and need to barf to get it out.

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaHvM9KVpcw

p.s. Close to the end, the movie does disclose something that Doyle never told us. Sherlock's real first name is Robert. (One more bit of nonsense in a movie that was nothing but nonsense.) Four thumbs down on this one.

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The WORST Sherlock Holmes movie ever...!
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
["Sherlock Holmes" (2010) is the WORST Sherlock Holmes ever made...! It stars Ben Syder and Garth David-Lloyd as Holmes and Watson. The plot is... oops... I don't think it actually had a plot. However, pretending that it did, the plot stinks. The casting sucks, and the acting could hardly be more terrible. It's a goofy story about Sherlock's brother gone crazy, and inventing mechanical monsters to terrorize England. In this movie the rotund Mycroft is skinny, and the ferret faced Lestrade is fat, with a big round face. It would seem that the idiots, who put this movie together had little or no knowledge of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, or just didn't care. It's a film that the editors should have left ever inch of on the cutting room floor.

NEVER watch this movie, unless you have poison in your stomach, and need to barf to get it out.

p.s. Close to the end, the movie does disclose something that Doyle never told us. Sherlock's real first name is Robert. (One more bit of nonsense in a movie that was nothing but nonsense.) Four thumbs down on this one.

The problem with free advice is that it's usually worth what you pay for it.
But here's some for you anyway, Cloudy.
If you look at a movie's production company and you see Asylum Entertainment or The Asylum, run, don't walk, to the exits.
They specialize in "mockbusters". Those are direct-to-DVD movies designed to ride the coat tails of a movie with a similar title and concept being released in the theaters at the same time.
The Zapruder film had better direction and cinematography than every Asylum movie put together.

Post subject: I didn't know that, but...
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
The problem with free advice is that it's usually worth what you pay for it.
But here's some for you anyway, Cloudy.
If you look at a movie's production company and you see Asylum Entertainment or The Asylum, run, don't walk, to the exits.
They specialize in "mockbusters". Those are direct-to-DVD movies designed to ride the coat tails of a movie with a similar title and concept being released in the theaters at the same time.
The Zapruder film had better direction and cinematography than every Asylum movie put together.

I didn't know that, but now I do. Thanks. Actually, I wondered about the timing of the movie, and thought it might have been trying to ride the coattails of the Robert Downey, Jr. film.

Hell, SPOTES, you know everything about movies. Once again, I am going to suggest that you get your own TV or radio show that comments on movies and critiques them. I know you've got a regular job during the day, and your nights are reserved for Buzztime Trivia, but Siskel & Ebert are gone, and the World needs someone like you to fill the void. Why not give it a shot, and try a local radio station for starters? I'll bet they will put you on the air, and someday you will be even more famous than you are already. :D

Post subject: A Sherlock Holmes quiz...
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:52 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's an easy Sherlock Holmes quiz.

Steps + pips + Garridebs all added up come to what number?

Post subject: Doyle's birthday...
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

This was borrowed from ICEMAN's post on the "Chip the Bartender" thread. I thought it would have some meaning here.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Happy Birthday Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle

154 years young today.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:46 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Cloudy, Have you seen the movie Shanghai Knights (Jackie Chan/Owen Wilson)? It had quite a few references to Mr. Holmes, and Doyle is a character in the movie.

Post subject: Haven't seen "Shanghai Knights"...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mudee wrote:
Cloudy, Have you seen the movie Shanghai Knights (Jackie Chan/Owen Wilson)? It had quite a few references to Mr. Holmes, and Doyle is a character in the movie.

Nope, I haven't seen "Shanghai Knights" (2003). However, if it's Sherlockian, I guess I need to pick it up.

Here's the trailer, and it DOES show a brief shot of Sherlock Holmes (You need to click on the little white triangle in the picture to see it):

http://www.youtube.com/movie/shanghai-knights

Great detective work, Mudee...!

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

It is a good movie. If you do see it I recommend seeing the first one, Shanghai Noon first. There are a few things that tie over from the first movie into the second. But the second would still be pretty good by itself.

Post subject: Okay, I'll get them both...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mudee wrote:
It is a good movie. If you do see it I recommend seeing the first one, Shanghai Noon first. There are a few things that tie over from the first movie into the second. But the second would still be pretty good by itself.

Okay, I'll get them both.

p.s. Seeing that I have never seen them, I believe they qualify for the "Obscure movies you like... " thread. Go ahead and post them up there. Who knows...? Maybe SPOTES might comment on them. (If he does, that is an honor.) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:12 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I personally wouldn't consider that an obscure movie. But I might consider posting it in the movie thread if you think I should.

Post subject: The "Obscure movies that you like" thread...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mudee wrote:
I personally wouldn't consider that an obscure movie. But I might consider posting it in the movie thread if you think I should.

Mudee, the "Obscure movies you like" thread has expanded to include just about anything. If the movie is an older one, and you think some people on the "ScaRatings" might not have ever seen it, put it up there. The only rules on that thread are what you think.

Yeah, go ahead and post both "Shanghai Knights" and "Shanghai Noon". You ain't gonna get in no trouble. :lol: