New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How not to run a major comics/sf convention
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:51 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I never thought ineptness was the sole province of NTN/BT, but I was reminded today that it's certainly permeated other organizations. Today was the start of Comicpalooza, Houston's three-day ComicCon wannabe, which for the past two years has been a remarkably well-conceived, well-run convention, attracting people not just into comics, gaming, anime, and meeting actors from sf movies and TV, but like me into sf/fantasy writing and film.

The con was being held at the George R. Brown convention center, which is a loooooong building that easily houses more than one convention or event at a time. Accordingly, generally there's a lighted sign above each entrance indicating where to enter. Today--no such signs. I turned down toward the space it had been in for the past two years, and ended up having to walk back to the con's new space--which doesn't include any of the nice auditoriums or conference rooms previously used. In fact it's just a huge space set off with curtains, with "panel rooms" labeled by some writing out "Room No. 1" etc. on a piece of paper and pinning it to a teeshirt which is then pinned to the curtains. Picture if you will that events going on in adjacent spaces include panel discussions, musical acts, a Quidditch match, and a roller derby game, and you can imagine what a challenge it is to hear what you want to hear.

The first program item I want to attend is Michael Biehn talking about making "Terminator." He's scheduled for what is labeled the "Main Stage," which is an elevated stage packed with sound and lighting equipment on which something that looks like a cross between WALL-E and No. 5 is sitting behind a drum set, every once in a while flashing its eyes and hitting the drums in such a way as to send shrieks through the sound system. Come the start of the program and there's no chairs and no Mr. Biehn. He eventually shows up; the chairs do not, nor has any mic been hooked up for him. But he gamely sits down on the edge of the stage and we gather around for a Q & A.

Then here comes the con staff, telling all of us in a not-friendly way (including the guest speaker) that we have to move, but not telling us where. Meanwhile MB's assistant starts wondering aloud if they should just go back to their autograph table and the rest of us can come along. "Oh no!" says another con staff person, but then he can't figure out any place either. Finally he insists we kind of stand where we are, and he brings a chair over for MB, but MB quickly realizes that if he sits down, no one will be able to see him. By now we've been relocated sufficiently close to speakers blaring music from another event that only the people closest to MB have a chance of hearing anything, and as that group did not include me, I gave up. I'd wanted to hear Sean Patrick Flanery talk about "Boondock Saints," but that was scheduled to come up next (at this point only about 30 minutes away) in the same non-space, so I gave up on that too and went home.

The theory put forth by my ex-husband (who has been on the committee for smaller cons) is that either I'm right that they didn't want to pay for the better space where everything would already be set up, or that they didn't want to pay for people to do the setting up, relying instead on unreliable volunteers. Either way, it does not bode well for things improving tomorrow, when attendance will be up (last year's total attendance was 10K, which makes it bigger than most World Cons). At that level, everyone has to be acting professionally for things to go smoothly--and I got a huge "we don't really care" vibe from this group.

Brooke/AARDVK

Post subject: It looks like they really pissed you off...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:
I never thought ineptness was the sole province of NTN/BT, but I was reminded today that it's certainly permeated other organizations. Today was the start of Comicpalooza, Houston's three-day ComicCon wannabe, which for the past two years has been a remarkably well-conceived, well-run convention, attracting people not just into comics, gaming, anime, and meeting actors from sf movies and TV, but like me into sf/fantasy writing and film.

The con was being held at the George R. Brown convention center, which is a loooooong building that easily houses more than one convention or event at a time. Accordingly, generally there's a lighted sign above each entrance indicating where to enter. Today--no such signs. I turned down toward the space it had been in for the past two years, and ended up having to walk back to the con's new space--which doesn't include any of the nice auditoriums or conference rooms previously used. In fact it's just a huge space set off with curtains, with "panel rooms" labeled by some writing out "Room No. 1" etc. on a piece of paper and pinning it to a teeshirt which is then pinned to the curtains. Picture if you will that events going on in adjacent spaces include panel discussions, musical acts, a Quidditch match, and a roller derby game, and you can imagine what a challenge it is to hear what you want to hear.

The first program item I want to attend is Michael Biehn talking about making "Terminator." He's scheduled for what is labeled the "Main Stage," which is an elevated stage packed with sound and lighting equipment on which something that looks like a cross between WALL-E and No. 5 is sitting behind a drum set, every once in a while flashing its eyes and hitting the drums in such a way as to send shrieks through the sound system. Come the start of the program and there's no chairs and no Mr. Biehn. He eventually shows up; the chairs do not, nor has any mic been hooked up for him. But he gamely sits down on the edge of the stage and we gather around for a Q & A.

Then here comes the con staff, telling all of us in a not-friendly way (including the guest speaker) that we have to move, but not telling us where. Meanwhile MB's assistant starts wondering aloud if they should just go back to their autograph table and the rest of us can come along. "Oh no!" says another con staff person, but then he can't figure out any place either. Finally he insists we kind of stand where we are, and he brings a chair over for MB, but MB quickly realizes that if he sits down, no one will be able to see him. By now we've been relocated sufficiently close to speakers blaring music from another event that only the people closest to MB have a chance of hearing anything, and as that group did not include me, I gave up. I'd wanted to hear Sean Patrick Flanery talk about "Boondock Saints," but that was scheduled to come up next (at this point only about 30 minutes away) in the same non-space, so I gave up on that too and went home.

The theory put forth by my ex-husband (who has been on the committee for smaller cons) is that either I'm right that they didn't want to pay for the better space where everything would already be set up, or that they didn't want to pay for people to do the setting up, relying instead on unreliable volunteers. Either way, it does not bode well for things improving tomorrow, when attendance will be up (last year's total attendance was 10K, which makes it bigger than most World Cons). At that level, everyone has to be acting professionally for things to go smoothly--and I got a huge "we don't really care" vibe from this group.

Brooke/AARDVK

I am basing this on the five quite long paragraphs of your post, and your choice of words. It looks like they really pissed you off. Sorry, I wasn't there, but I have a feeling that if I were, I would have posted six paragraphs letting the world how pissed off I was too.

DANTE, has a group of sci-fi junkies, who play the "SciFiles" Buzztime game every Wednesday night, and they are pretty damn good. If you are ever in the Louisville area you might want to join them at Old Chicago on Westport Road. (This is not a joke, but as you might have guessed, the rest is.)

p.s. It might be a good idea to call ahead to make sure that they are back from the planet Mongo. :lol:

p.p.s. They don't usually stay too long on Mongo. It doesn't have many bars, and none of them have NTN trivia yet.

.................................................. Image

..................................................................... The closest bar is a couple miles over the mountain ridge on the right.

............................................................................. Image

............................................... "DANTE, you and Flash need to back off. I just signed a contract with NTN. Mongo will have NTN trivia very soon."

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:00 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: It looks like they really pissed you off...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 am 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy wrote:
DANTE, has a group of Sci-Fi junkies who play the "Sci-files" Buzztime game every Wednesday night, and they are pretty damn good. If you are ever in the Louisville area you might want to join them at Old Chicago on Westport Road.

Cloudy my friend, you really need to keep up with the trivia goings on here. Brooke's location is the top Sci-Files team out there, and it's just her and her husband Jim that participate. Certainly not a knock on the Louisville group or the Spotes ragtag bunch when they decide to play, am fairly certain they would agree.

Believe it or not, there are much more interesting discussions in the trivia forums than here in the free for all. After all, trivia is what brought us all together.

BO

Post subject: Re: How not to run a major comics/sf convention
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Thanks to both Cloudy and BO for responding. (And if we're ever in Louisville, we'll certainly go to Old Chicago.)

Since my original post, I've gotten an apology from the people running the con. Apparently they did try and get enclosed space that would have allowed folks in the audience to hear what was going on, but the George R. Brown Convention Center wouldn't give it to them. They totally recognize that this year was a disaster. Also I've been invited to help them next year with creating better speaker experiences.

Would that NTN/Buzztime were as responsive to player unhappiness.

Brooke/AARDVK

Post subject: You are right...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
DANTE, has a group of Sci-Fi junkies who play the "Sci-files" Buzztime game every Wednesday night, and they are pretty damn good. If you are ever in the Louisville area you might want to join them at Old Chicago on Westport Road.

Cloudy my friend, you really need to keep up with the trivia goings on here. Brooke's location is the top Sci-Files team out there, and it's just her and her husband Jim that participate. Certainly not a knock on the Louisville group or the Spotes ragtag bunch when they decide to play, am fairly certain they would agree.

Believe it or not, there are much more interesting discussions in the trivia forums than here in the free for all. After all, trivia is what brought us all together.

BO

You are right. I didn't know how good Brooke and her husband, Jim, were at "SciFiles". (I do know that my knowledge of sci-fi doesn't go very far beyond the old Flash Gordon movies.) Do you find anything wrong with my inviting them to play "SciFiles" with Dante's group, if they ever wind up in the Louisville area?

Thank you for informing me that there are more interesting discussions elsewhere on the "ScaRatings" than one will find on the "Free For All" forum. However, I am a recluse, who prefers to stay within his comfort zone. I enjoy the good-natured kidding that goes on in ICEMAN's threads. I am also old, and enjoy sharing thoughts of times gone by with other old farts.

I only posted to this thread, because nobody else had, and I feel that someone, who posts here, deserves a reply from somebody, even if that reply comes from an idiot such as I.

Looks like it worked. Now this thread has three posts. Thanks for joining in.

(Belated edit: Oops, it looks like four posts, now that AARDVK has hopped back in while I was still amending this post. Hell, I'll make it five.)

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: You are right...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
I only posted to this thread, because nobody else had, and I feel that someone, who posts here, deserves a reply from somebody, even if that reply comes from an idiot such as I.

And now it has more. And I do appreciate it--thanks!

Brooke/AARDVK

Post subject: Your posts tell me that you are a good person...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

And now it has more. And I do appreciate it--thanks!

Brooke/AARDVK

Brooke, your posts tell me that you are a good person, and I have to believe that Jim is also. I know I would like you both, if I ever got to meet you. However, you would think I was a complete idiot, if I sat next to you guys through a "SciFiles" game, and you would be right. DANTE and his boys aren't too bad on this game, and if by some strange chance you and Jim ever make it to Old Chicago on Westport Road in Louisville, I think I might be able to talk SPOTES to drive down here from Indianapolis to play along with you.

Don't know if you and Jim drink, but if don't, and you ever plan to make the trip to Louisville, you better start practicing, because I've got a feeling that you will be drinking for free, while you are here.

Post subject: BO, you might want to make the Wednesday night scene too...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

BO, you might want to make the Wednesday night scene at Old Chicago too. DANTE has a good group up there, and I think you could help the team score. Plus it would be good to see you again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:02 am 
Moderating Hobbit

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

BO

-BO-, for what it's worth, there's only three of us normally, and we often beat Brooke's team. I know it's probably hard to believe, but with the exception of when I've been playing myself as everyone to get five boxes up, we have won more often than not. :)

Not to knock Brooke's team, they're pretty damned awesome, and I have a feeling if it were just "pure sci-fi" questions they'd probably beat the crap out of us, but the game isn't often that anymore.

The easiest predictor of who will win is:

1) Movie/TV heavy questions: 86 Street
2) Book heavy questions: Houston
3) 50/50 mix of the two: Us

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:09 am 
Moderating Hobbit

By the way, while I can hold my own against, say, the top 10% on Sci-Files, most of the credit when we win goes to Crackhead, who has more books than I do (if you had been to my house, you'd realize how ridiculous this is) and for some reason seems to have them all memorized, and Tim, who nails all the damned "newer Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy" movie shit they ask. I'm good for a few random ones here or there, but I don't claim any special powers in this area.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 am 
Himself Fodder

Dante wrote:
-BO-, for what it's worth, there's only three of us normally, and we often beat Brooke's team. I know it's probably hard to believe, but with the exception of when I've been playing myself as everyone to get five boxes up, we have won more often than not. :)

Oh I know you guys are right there with them, I was just under the impression that in 2012 SRO had won the most based on something Brooke said in a split network thread I think it was. If I am in error I apologize, you know I meant no disrespect to the Louisville group.

BO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 am 
Golden Tee Master

AARDVK wrote:
Thanks to both Cloudy and BO for responding. (And if we're ever in Louisville, we'll certainly go to Old Chicago.)

Since my original post, I've gotten an apology from the people running the con. Apparently they did try and get enclosed space that would have allowed folks in the audience to hear what was going on, but the George R. Brown Convention Center wouldn't give it to them. They totally recognize that this year was a disaster. Also I've been invited to help them next year with creating better speaker experiences.

Would that NTN/Buzztime were as responsive to player unhappiness.

Brooke/AARDVK

Been to that convention center for a few trade shows and it is one monster of a building. One of the longest convention centers I have
been to and I have been to several. Will not comment on the trivia discussion since Dante will not let me play on Wednesday nights. :P

Post subject: What about the old 1950's Sci-Fi movies...?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
By the way, while I can hold my own against, say, the top 10% on Sci-Files, most of the credit when we win goes to Crackhead, who has more books than I do (if you had been to my house, you'd realize how ridiculous this is) and for some reason seems to have them all memorized, and Tim, who nails all the damned "newer Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy" movie shit they ask. I'm good for a few random ones here or there, but I don't claim any special powers in this area.

What about the old 1950's Sci-Fi movies...? I know you don't get a lot of questions about them, but in the past CLOUDY was pretty good on them. :lol:

I'll do my best to get up to Old Chicago on Wednesdays to try to help out just in case there are any questions on these movies that were first shown, while your parents were still just going steady in Junior High School. :lol:

You young guys would need help on this one:

Post subject: Re: What about the old 1950's Sci-Fi movies...?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Dante wrote:

What about the old 1950's Sci-Fi movies...? I know you don't get a lot of questions about them, but in the past CLOUDY was pretty good on them. :lol:

I'll do my best to get up to Old Chicago on Wednesdays to try to help out just in case there are any questions on these movies that were first shown, while your parents were still just going steady in Junior High School. :lol:

It is "The Giant Claw".

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: You are part of the Louisville Group...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Oh I know you guys are right there with them, I was just under the impression that in 2012 SRO had won the most based on something Brooke said in a split network thread I think it was. If I am in error I apologize, you know I meant no disrespect to the Louisville group.

BO

Bo, YOU are part of the Louisville Group. Yeah, you have been AWOL for a while, but now that gas prices have been dropping, it would be good to see you back here again, like the old days. :D

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Frank, you are killing me...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Dante wrote:

It is "The Giant Claw".

Frank, of course you are right. You're an old guy as I am, and I knew that you would know it. However, I wish that you would not have told the youngsters what it was. :(

Seeing that you have let the cat out of the bag, we ought to let the youngsters watch the "The Giant Claw" (1957) movie trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOj0nXpRqX8

p.s. Even though they're not old guys, I'm pretty sure that SPOTES and CARDS could have nailed it too.

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Dante wrote:

Dante is correct, Crackhead is overall awesome, and Tim nails a bunch that i never knew, but Dante is also a real fine player in his own right.

Back a couple of years ago when we could get a 5 or 6 man team together at Indigo Joes, we had a real good team that was hard to beat. Dante's brother Daniel is awesome on movie and tv scifi, and just amazing on certain genres (I introduced him more than once "Meet Daniel our Zombie Expert").

Crackhead brought in B Eric who was a real strong overall scifi player, and the best recaller of Scifi Illustrators I had ever seen.

Team was so good that I curbed my blurting out of potential bad answers.

Post subject: Re: You are right...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:53 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Cloudy wrote:
-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

BO

You are right. I didn't know how good Brooke and her husband, Jim, were at "SciFiles". (I do know that my knowledge of sci-fi doesn't go very far beyond the old Flash Gordon movies.) Do you find anything wrong with my inviting them to play "SciFiles" with Dante's group, if they ever wind up in the Louisville area?

Thank you for informing me that there are more interesting discussions elsewhere on the "ScaRatings" than one will find on the "Free For All" forum. However, I am a recluse, who prefers to stay within his comfort zone. I enjoy the good-natured kidding that goes on in ICEMAN's threads. I am also old, and enjoy sharing thoughts of times gone by with other old farts.

(Belated edit: Oops, it looks like four posts, now that AARDVK has hopped back in while I was still amending this post. Hell, I'll make it five.)

Don't let Cloudy fool you. He might not read much scifi, but back in the day when we had at pretty good team at TGIF-Louisville, he was the go to guy for the SciFi B Movies of the 1950s.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:

Brooke/AARDVK

It can be discouraging to see screw-up organizations and companies being successful. Another perspective is if total screw-ups can be successful it gives hope to us barely competent. Start a convention yourself.

Post subject: This makes 20...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK, your thread has now grown to 20 posts. Looks like you are becoming famous. :D

Post subject: Re: Frank, you are killing me...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

quote]
Frank, of course you are right. You're an old guy as I am, and I knew that you would know it. However, I wish that you would not have told the youngsters what it was. :(

p.s. Even he's not an old guy, I'm pretty sure that SPOTES could have nailed it to.[/quote]

Cloudy, I paid a good silver quarter to see that movie. It was terrible. How much is a silver quarter worth today?
I am a trivia nut. I could not resist answering.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: I will forgive you, but...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
quote]

p.s. Even he's not an old guy, I'm pretty sure that SPOTES could have nailed it to.

Cloudy, I paid a good silver quarter to see that movie. It was terrible. How much is a silver quarter worth today?
I am a trivia nut. I could not resist answering.[/quote]
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FRANKC, I will forgive you for letting the cat out of the bag, but I don't think you will ever forgive yourself for wasting that real silver quarter to go see this absolutely terrible movie. However, look at it this way. Someday you will be dead, and one of your grand kids will find it, while they are cleaning your house out, and spend it on a small candy bar. So perhaps wasting it to go see "The Giant Claw" back in 1957 might have been the right thing to do. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 am 
King or Queen Postalot

FrankC wrote:

6.25 g x .900 fineness ÷ 31.1035 g/oz = 0.18085 oz Ag x USD$28.42½/oz Ag = $5.14 bullion melt value

I am a coin nut. I could not resist answering

You're welcome! :D :geek:

Post subject: Oh, a coin collector...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
FrankC wrote:

6.25 g x .900 fineness ÷ 31.1035 g/oz = 0.18085 oz Ag x USD$28.42½/oz Ag = $5.14 bullion melt value

I am a coin nut. I could not resist answering

You're welcome! :D :geek:

Oh, PENGWN is a coin collector. I guess to use the fancy word, that might make you a numismatist. I also have been collecting coins for quite a few years, all sorts of them, everything from casino and video arcade tokens, foreign coins, older U.S. coins (nothing rare of valuable), commercial give-a-ways, anything that is round, flat, and made of metal. The only exception is a wooden nickel picked up 30 or 40 years ago.

I'll tell you what, before I die, if none of my kids have any interest in them, I'll tell them to send them to you.

p.s. I'll have your address, because you are about to give it to me, after you read the private message that I am about to send to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

p.s. Even though they're not old guys, I'm pretty sure that SPOTES and CARDS could have nailed it too.

You bet I know The Giant Claw Cloudy.
I was disappointed because I knew it was directed by Fred Sears (director of Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers) and starred sf film veterans Jeff Morrow and Mara Corday from Tarantula.
It was embarrassing even by the standards of the time.