New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: College/University...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:15 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hell, er Hill, CA.

A.A. degree, majoring in B. S. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:45 pm 
Lightning II

I attended Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater,MA. Majored in Geography with a Minor in Secondary Education. Graduated in 1983. My mother was a teacher as was her mother and her brother. My sister is also a teacher. It worked out for them,not for me.

Post subject: Colgate University
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I went to Colgate University in Hamilton, NY. Flunked out after the first semester of my junior year majoring in geology in 1967. I picked geology, because I was a terrible student, and it was viewed as an easy major for jocks. Three of the older professors in the department loved athletes, and I thought I could waltz through, because I was a jock back then. When I came back from summer vacation, my counselor had great news for me. Two of those professors had retired, and the other one had died. The younger professors, who replaced them, were ramping up the geology syllabus to make it more challenging and meaningful. They did, and I flunked out.

After flunking out, I spent the spring semester and summer school at Mitchell College in New London, CT. If I didn't get readmitted to Colgate by the fall semester, the Army would have drafted me and sent me to Vietnam, so for the first time I actually read my books, did my assingments, went to class, and studied. Did well enough to be readmitted to Colgate in the fall, where I finally graduated with a BA in history, and probably with the lowest GPA anyone ever had, who got their sheepskin from Colgate, or perhaps anywhere.

(Marvin Hubbard flunked out with me at the same time. We both went to Mitchell College, and I rode with him in his VW Beetle several times back to party weekends at Colgate. For those of you, who don't know, Marv Hubbard went on to play football for the Oakland Raiders, where he made the AFC All-Star team in 1971, 1972, and 1973 as a punishing fullback, who ran over defenders instead of around them.)

p.s. Colgate wanted SCAR to go there, because he was smart and a damn good swimmer, but he chose Auburn University instead. Why...? Auburn had much better weather, a much better swim team, and was co-ed.

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject: Lincoln never went to college...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bigsky wrote:
Gees, I was going to start a thread about us folk that don't have any book larnin', then I realized that I'm probably the only person on this forum that's never been to college.

That would be a pretty lonesome thread

I think I'm going to go communist!

Screw the proletariat!

(or maybe it's "Screw the intelligenti!)

Hell, I dunno, I'm EEOC, Screw Y'all! :D

Just Kidding guys, I really do admire all of you that persevered through the halls of academia - in my defense, it just wasn't my bag at the time.

BIGSKY, some of the smartest, wisest, and most successful people I have ever met, never went to college, and some, who did, are absolute morons. Abraham Lincoln did a pretty good job as president, even though he never went to college.

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:42 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

None :D

Post subject: Re: Lincoln never went to college...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Bigsky wrote:
Gees, I was going to start a thread about us folk that don't have any book larnin', then I realized that I'm probably the only person on this forum that's never been to college.

That would be a pretty lonesome thread

I think I'm going to go communist!

Screw the proletariat!

(or maybe it's "Screw the intelligenti!)

Hell, I dunno, I'm EEOC, Screw Y'all! :D

Just Kidding guys, I really do admire all of you that persevered through the halls of academia - in my defense, it just wasn't my bag at the time.

BIGSKY, some of the smartest, wisest, and most successful people I have ever met, never went to college, and some, who did, are absolute morons. Abraham Lincoln did a pretty good job as president, even though he never went to college.

So did Harry Truman.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Ah, give 'em Hell, Harry...!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
So did Harry Truman.

Ah, give 'em Hell, Harry...!

This may come as surprise to many of you, but I think Harry Truman could very well be one of the best presidents our country has ever had. He is at the top of my list.

Maybe we should start a movement to replace George Washington on the one dollar bill with Harry Truman. Harry always said, "The buck stops here."

All the Department of the Treasury needs to do is erase those five zeros after the one, and we've got it.

p.s. Harry never carried $100,000 bills in his wallet. Heck, he did his shopping at Woolworth's five and dime.

p.p.s Here's an interesting factoid. Woolworth's was the first five and dime store, and opened in Utica, NY, on February 22, 1878. Utica is just a 15 minute drive from Rome, NY.

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:56 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

. . . the hell? Wilson's on your $100k, isn't he?

Anyway, I also have never taken any post-secondary schooling. I never could decide what to amass a student loan on learning, so that's that

Post subject: You're right, it is Wilson on the $100k bill...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
. . . the hell? Wilson's on your $100k, isn't he?

Anyway, I also have never taken any post-secondary schooling. I never could decide what to amass a student loan on learning, so that's that

You're right, it is Wilson on the $100k bill. Don't accept one of the Truman $100k bills in your change at the grocery store. It's very likely to be conterfeit. :lol:

Post subject: Re: You're right, it is Wilson on the $100k bill...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:59 pm 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:
Don't accept one of the Truman $100k bills in your change at the grocery store. It's very likely to be conterfeit. :lol:

Of course it's counterfeit; Truman is on the Trillion Dollar Bill.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I have two degrees; a B.S. in Computer Science (1985), and an M.A. in Mathematics (1992); both are from Central Connecticut State University. I have also attended Wright State University in Ohio; I moved back to Connecticut during my junior year there and transferred to CCSU. After my master's degree, I attended Rensselaer at Hartford (a branch campus of RPI in Troy, NY) where I pursued a second masters, this in Computer Science, but "burned out" just two credit hours short of graduating.

-- RWM

Post subject: I am surprised that you didn't go on to Tirana University...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I have two degrees; a B.S. in Computer Science (1985), and an M.A. in Mathematics (1992); both are from Central Connecticut State University. I have also attended Wright State University in Ohio; I moved back to Connecticut during my junior year there and transferred to CCSU. After my master's degree, I attended Rensselaer at Hartford (a branch campus of RPI in Troy, NY) where I pursued a second masters, this in Computer Science, but "burned out" just two credit hours short of graduating.

-- RWM

ZOG, I am surprised that you didn't go on to Tirana University in Albania to get your doctorate. As heir to the throne, I think this would have been a neat thing to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Tirana

This is their new campus under construction:

p.s. I'm not familiar with Central Connecticut State, but I know that both Wright State in Ohio, and RPI are extremely good universities, and quite selective as to whom they will admit. Hell, you must be one of those smart guys.

Post subject: Re: I am surprised that you didn't go on to Tirana Universit
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
p.s. I'm not familiar with Central Connecticut State, but I know that both Wright State in Ohio, and RPI are extremely good universities, and quite selective as to whom they will admit. Hell, you must be one of those smart guys.

Wright State is not a selective university. At least it wasn't when I was there; perhaps things have changed. But I chose it as a "safety" and wound up going there anyway.

RPI is considered very selective, at least at the undergrad level, but I went there as a graduate student, where I probably was selected due to the fact that I already had a masters and therefore could do that level of work.

-- RWM

Post subject: Yeah, you're on of those smart guys...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Wright State is not a selective university. At least it wasn't when I was there; perhaps things have changed. But I chose it as a "safety" and wound up going there anyway.

RPI is considered very selective, at least at the undergrad level, but I went there as a graduate student, where I probably was selected due to the fact that I already had a masters and therefore could do that level of work.

-- RWM

Yeah, you're one of those smart guys, who read your books, did his assignments, went to class, and studied. If I ever decide to take the GRE, I would like to sit next to you, so I could copy your answers. :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Yeah, you're on of those smart guys...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
If I ever decide to take the GRE, I would like to sit next to you, so I could copy your answers. :lol:

You would have to go back in time about 20 years. If you could do that, you don't need graduate school. ;)

-- RWM

Post subject: ZOG. don't worry...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
If I ever decide to take the GRE, I would like to sit next to you, so I could copy your answers. :lol:

You would have to go back in time about 20 years. If you could do that, you don't need graduate school. ;)

-- RWM

ZOG, don't worry. I'm 66 years old, and it is most unlikely that I will ever take the GRE in this lifetime.

p.s. If I could go back in time, it wouldn't be just 20 years. Hell, I'd still be kind of old. If I actually could, I would like to set the clock back 40 years, then I might be able to do something. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:05 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

You would all come very close to acing the GRE. It's pathetically easy. Though not as ridiculously easy as the GMAT. I'm pretty sure I could nail every question on that one while drunk.

Post subject: Okay, I'll try the GMAT first...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
You would all come very close to acing the GRE. It's pathetically easy. Though not as ridiculously easy as the GMAT. I'm pretty sure I could nail every question on that one while drunk.

Thanks for the info, DANTE. Okay I'll try the GMAT first. If I pass it, I guess the GRE will be the next hurdle. If I get past that one, I guess I'm on my way to a PhD, and teaching at Harvard. :lol:

p.s. As a conservative teaching history at Harvard, do you think they would ever give me tenure? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:08 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. Class of 1973.

Post subject: Great School
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hunk wrote:
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. Class of 1973.

The University of North Carolina is a great school. Not only great academically, I hear they have a fair to middling basketball program there too. Hope that either UK or U of L get to play you guys in the big dance next year.