New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Live trivia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 am 

I'm just venting here a bit.

I've been playing live trivia on Wednesday nights recently. The top two teams almost always come down to my team and one other team. Last night we were tied at the end of the game. Usually, there is a "sudden death" to determine the winner. However, we had a substitute host and he wasn't prepared for overtime. So how did he determine the winner? He had us do rock-paper-scissors.

I don't care about losing (I'd rather win - duh). But I just got pissed off that we lost a trivia contest based on a game of chance. Almost sounds like something Buzztime would do.

OK. I feel better now. Thanks for listening. :)

Post subject: Re: Live trivia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Zebra wrote:
I'm just venting here a bit.

I've been playing live trivia on Wednesday nights recently. The top two teams almost always come down to my team and one other team. Last night we were tied at the end of the game. Usually, there is a "sudden death" to determine the winner. However, we had a substitute host and he wasn't prepared for overtime. So how did he determine the winner? He had us do rock-paper-scissors.

I don't care about losing (I'd rather win - duh). But I just got pissed off that we lost a trivia contest based on a game of chance. Almost sounds like something Buzztime would do.

OK. I feel better now. Thanks for listening. :)

Deja vu sort of.

Team I "help" at live trivia had a playoff last night too.

Had a substitute host also.

Question was what is the atomic number of Krypton.

I said easy.. noble gas 36.

Host reads question again.

What is the atomic number of Krypton.

Reads answers (My Team) 36, other team 83.8. And the other team is exactly correct.

I turn to the team I help. " I hate live trivia. He said atomic number, not atomic mass 3 times. The other team was stupid enough to not even google it correctly on their cheating cellphones, and gets the right answer to the wrong question. And now you need to decide if you go talk to the substitute host about how screwed up the whole thing is, and how they are cheating, or just settle for second place money" .

And I happily returned my attention to my Playmaker.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

At one place I played Live Trivia at Smokey Bones, they ask tiebreaker questions...one closest is the winner of the round or game.

I'll ask the ppl who runs it at Pitchers on how to settle tiebreakers.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 am 

Well, the regular host usually just brings a bunch of Trivial Pursuit cards and will read random questions. Not overly original, but at least it IS trivia.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:50 pm 
SF Pier

Very unprofessional. A friend & I have been running our own live trivia business since January. We have three pages of numerical tiebreaker questions, and keep adding to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

That's why I like Last Call for tiebreakers, no physical things. The old place we played at you had physical challenges, including dancing like a turkey on the bar, female arm wrestling (5-0 here)

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

Post subject: When in Louisville...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

When in Louisville, there is only one place to play "live trivia". That would be "Bob and Marty's" live trivia, which is currently being played every Monday night at 6:30 pm at Saints Bar on Breckinridge Lane in St. Matthews. There are no teeny-bopper questions, all of the questions are things you should have learned in high school or college, or from reading the newspaper, magazines, and books after you graduated. There is NO nonsense, either you know the answer or you don't.

We have a darn good team, called the "Trogdors", a name that DANTE unknowingly gave to the team. We don't win every game, but we are always close (We win most of them.), and the "Trogdors" usually are the champions for the 12 week total points contest. (I can't remember the last time we lost the 12 week total points contest.) We have had some great players over the years, but sadly a lot of them have drifted off. If they were all still there, we would never lose, but with our team of regulars, we are still the best. If anyone would like to join us, send me a private message, and after you show up for the fourth game, you will be rewarded with an official "Trogdor" tee shirt that the team will buy for you, from the folks at Homestarrunner.

This has nothing to do with the team or game play, other than a tee shirt, that you might proudly wear someday. Here's a link to the Homestarrunner home page:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/

Post subject: Tie breakers at Bob & Marty's live trivia in Louisville...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TIE BREAKERS AT BOB & MARTY'S LIVE TRIVIA IN LOUISVILLE

Bob and Marty have changed how they run the tie breaker in Louisville a number of times over the years. This is how they do it now:

Bob will go stand by one team, and Marty will stand by the other team that tied, and Bob will slowly read off a list of events that all happened in the same year.

As soon as one team thinks they know the year, they write it down and hand their answer to Bob or Marty.

If their answer is correct, they win.

If the first team to hand in their answer is not correct, Bob continues to read off events that happened in that year. (I believe there are about ten events in all that Bob might read off.) The team that handed in an answer that was not exactly correct, may not change the answer they have already handed in. They are stuck with it, but they might still win.

The team that has not handed in an answer yet can wait to hand in their answer until Bob is done reading his entire list of events that occurred in the year. When Bob finishes his list they must turn in their answer. If they get the year exactly, they win.

However, if they are off by the same number of years as the first team was, the team who turned it in first wins.

Without an exact answer by either team, and without both teams being incorrect by the same number of years, the team that is closest wins.

(One time we had a 3-way tie, and Bob and Marty had to recruit a non-involved player to go stand by the third team.)

Image..........Image.......... Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
At one place I played Live Trivia at Smokey Bones, they ask tiebreaker questions...one closest is the winner of the round or game.

I'll ask the ppl who runs it at Pitchers on how to settle tiebreakers.

3 weeks ago, they did had a tiebreaker question after regulation. One closest to right answer win the 2 pizzas...loser gets only one.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

Post subject: Two bad live trivia experinces...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Some years ago George Shelton, GRS (May he rest in peace.) and I decided to check out a local restaurant that was having live trivia. We got there a little late, but they let us in. The first question the guy running the show asked was a movie question, as was the next question, the next, and the next until we got to a break. I went up to the guy, and asked him why all of the questions were about movies. He said they all are, tonight is movie trivia night. We paid up, and left.

Several weeks ago, my lady friend, three other people, and I decided to go play live trivia at Applebee's in Rome, NY. Some floozie, who was running the show, started the game a half hour late, because she forgot to bring the questions with her. When she got back with the questions, she said because there is a full moon tonight all of the questions are going to be music questions.

What the Hell does a full moon have to do with music...? I can only think of two things, werewolves and lunatics.

All of her questions were about recent music. We knew almost nothing, and left after suffering through two rounds.

Bob and Marty's live trivia at Saint's in St. Matthews, KY. is how it ought to be. They always have 18 different categories that cover a wide range of knowledge. There is never any duplication of catagories, and the time frame of the questions they ask covers everything from thousands of years ago to last month.