New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question on grammar
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Hopefully someone out there knows the answer to this one. I'm watching the coverage of the EuroCup (yes, some of us don't find soccer boring and slow). The announcers will use plural when talking about a country's team, such as "France are ahead 1-0" or "Germany are going to substitute a player". A country is singular, but the group of players on the team is plural. Why are they using plural when the sentence has just the name of the country? Shouldn't it be "France is ahead 1-0", or "Germany is going to substitute a player"?

Post subject: Re: Question on grammar
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The short answer is that this is yet another difference between American and British English. I can elaborate in a follow-up post later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
The short answer is that this is yet another difference between American and British English. I can elaborate in a follow-up post later.

I am not sure that is even proper British English.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Please elaborate...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:

Please elaborate, ZOG. I hope to learn something from you, but I don't think it is a difference between American and British English. Singular nouns and plural verbs don't go very well together. I've spent some time in the UK, and don't remember running into this. However, I'm always open to learn something new. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

(I was off the Internet for a couple of days. I could still have responded on my tablet, but that is a pain for anything but a simple, short message.)

Actually, I have read about this particular difference between British and American English before, but this link explains it too, in the section called "Formal and notional agreement" under Nouns.

-- RWM

Post subject: Okay, I'll buy it, but...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
(I was off the Internet for a couple of days. I could still have responded on my tablet, but that is a pain for anything but a simple, short message.)

Actually, I have read about this particular difference between British and American English before, but this link explains it too, in the section called "Formal and notional agreement" under Nouns.

-- RWM

Okay, I'll buy it, I read the whole God damn thing, but you could have saved me a lot of time by just quoting this from it:

"Nouns

[edit] Formal and notional agreement

In BrE, collective nouns can take either singular (formal agreement) or plural (notional agreement) verb forms, according to whether the emphasis is on the body as a whole or on the individual members respectively; compare a committee was appointed with the committee were unable to agree.[12][13] The term the Government always takes a plural verb in British civil service convention, perhaps to emphasize the principle of cabinet collective responsibility.[14] Compare also the following lines of Elvis Costello's song "Oliver's Army": Oliver's Army are on their way / Oliver's Army is here to stay. Some of these nouns, for example staff,[15] actually combine with plural verbs most of the time.

In AmE, collective nouns are almost always singular in construction: the committee was unable to agree. However, when a speaker wishes to emphasize that the individuals are acting separately, a plural pronoun may be employed with a singular or plural verb: the team takes their seats or the team take their seats, rather than the team takes its seats. However, such a sentence would most likely be recast as the team members take their seats.[16] Despite exceptions such as usage in The New York Times, the names of sports teams are usually treated as plurals even if the form of the name is singular.[17]

The difference occurs for all nouns of multitude, both general terms such as team and company and proper nouns (for example where a place name is used to refer to a sports team). For instance,

BrE: The Clash are a well-known band; AmE: The Clash is a well-known band.
BrE: Spain are the champions; AmE: Spain is the champion.

Proper nouns that are plural in form take a plural verb in both AmE and BrE; for example, The Beatles are a well-known band; The Saints are the champions, with one major exception: largely for historical reasons, in American English, the United States is is almost universal. This is due to an increase in national unity and pride after the American Civil War; before this, the construction "the United States are" was more common.[citation needed]

Australian and Canadian usage is consistent with the AmE pattern."

I completely disagree with the Brits on this. I know they started the language, but perhaps they should listen to grammarians in the United States, who might have a better idea.

p.s. Shouldn't all of this have been posted on "The Enlish Language" thread...? A place where our English language are normally discussed...? :lol:

(Obviously the English language is made up of many words, so I guess a plural verb is the way to go.)

p.p.s. Wouldn't it make you want to scream, if you heard somebody say, "Our football team are good." :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Okay, I'll buy it, but...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Okay, I'll buy it, I read the whole God damn thing, but you could have saved a lot of time by just quoting this from it

To each their own. I'd rather provide the link and anyone interested can just follow it. It can't take that much time to click on a hyperlink.

-- RWM

Post subject: Clicking on the hyperlink only took a second, but...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Okay, I'll buy it, I read the whole God damn thing, but you could have saved a lot of time by just quoting this from it

To each their own. I'd rather provide the link and anyone interested can just follow it. It can't take that much time to click on a hyperlink.

-- RWM

Clicking on the hyperlink only took a second, but there was a lot of stuff there to read through.

Anyway, thank you for teaching me something that I did not know before. :D