Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I guess its my turn...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
The lowlife sumofanitches!!! :evil:

I get home this evening & find my side gate open... I head around back & find my kitchen window busted in... SHIT!!!

I head around to the front door & it is still locked... I head in & find a bigger mess than I left in the first place.

The scumsuckers got two laptops, a .45 auto & a few other things. One of the laptops was so old I doubt it is worth anything but the other was my primary computer with all my stuff. Most everything was password protected but still... Luckily the bastards missed a computer that has almost no memory left on it.

The Police came by & made a report & the forensic lady came by to take pics & fingerprints. Chances are though I'll never see that stuff again.

I've already called the credit agency - Experian - and had them put a 90 day fraud alert on my accounts. I called my homeowners insurance & let them know. I'll head off to the bank tomorrow to let them know. And the kicker is I'm going through a re-finance right now. Anything else I might need to do? I've not been though this crap before. Thanks guys for any additional info.

Post subject: Re: I guess its my turn...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:43 am 
Moderating Hobbit

When you get your new computer, install Prey.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:18 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:

I'm not familiar with that. Is that applicable for a Mac system?

Post subject: I'm very sorry to hear your sad story...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm very sorry to hear your sad story. Here are a few thoughts to prevent this from happening again.

You might want to think about getting a security system for your house. My lady friend has one that not only calls the security company, but also sets off blinding, flashing strobe lights, and a deafening, high pitched, pulsating noise that nearly incapacitates anyone in the house. I can promise you any burglar, who sets that thing off will leave the premises immediately.

Getting a big dog, with a loud and threatening bark is another idea. (Two dogs would be even better.)

After my house was burglarized many years ago, I not only installed an ADT alarm system, but also put steel bars on the downstairs windows that could not be seen from the street. (I believe you can now get steel window bars that you can unlock and swing open if you want.) There are also storm doors made from decorative steel that looks like wrought iron. As I understand it, after breaking into a house through a window, burglars usually carry the loot out a door, because trying to get the stuff out through the broken window, with all the shattered glass is tough to do, and they have to move fast. When they find out that it is impossible to leave through a door, there is a good chance that they will just drop everything, and take off.

Another thing you can do is to get one of those little electric engravers, and engrave something, that cannot be removed, that will make things that might be stolen identifiable as belonging to you. Obviously, you don't want do this to your ming vases, but things like TVs, laptop computers, cameras, etc., would be a good idea. Years ago Kentucky law enforcement told us to engrave our social security numbers on this stuff, but with identity theft today maybe something else would be better.

p.s. You will soon be receiving letters and phone calls from all of the local burglar alarm companies. They look for people, who had break-ins reported in the newspaper.

p.p.s. The cops will do nothing trying to track down where your stuff is. However, if you have the time, check out the local pawn shops, and there is a very good chance you will find the stuff that was stolen. In Kentucky, if you find your stolen belongings at a pawn shop, you can get them back for what they were pawned for, and that is going to be way less than what they are worth.

Good luck my friend. I hope things work out for you.

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: I would like to know what "Prey" is also...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:

DANTE, I would like to know what "Prey" is also. It isn't a dummy laptop computer with a half stick of dynamite inside it, that is triggered by hitting the enter button, is it? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

here is a site about what Dante is talking about:

http://www.preyproject.com

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
here is a site about what Dante is talking about:

http://www.preyproject.com

Thanks Mitch.