New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Those who served in the military.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I thought there was already a thread for those of us, who had served, or are serving in the military, but was unable to find it tonight. So seeing that Veteran's Day just ended about five minutes ago, even though this may be a duplication of a thread that might be hiding somewhere on the "ScaRatings", I made a command decision to create one.

If you ever put on a uniform and served your country in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, National Guard, Reserves, or Coast Guard this is your chance to tell us about your time in the military.

Seeing I started this thread, I will go first.

I was on active duty in the Marine Corps from February 1969 through December 1973. I reached the rank of Captain, and was an aviator. The closest to combat I ever got was in bars in Okinawa, as the Commandant never got around to issuing me orders to Nam. Even though I have no war stories to relate, I did cheat death a number of times while flying.

Last edited by Cloudy on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Those who served in the military.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:47 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Well, I got a little closer. I was in the army for two years as an MP. My duty units were the 57th MP co. at West Point from May to November 1969 and the 630th MP Co. in Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam, from December 1969 to November 1970. Thankfully, not much excitement in the 'Nam.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:54 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Air Force from Nov 75 til Jan 99, doing accounting & finance due to color restriction wouldn't let me in to combat fields. :( 8 1/2 years in Europe and 16 months on Okinawa and several stateside locations. :D Still trying to balance the Air Force books. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

US Army, 82C, Field Artillery Surveyor; Oct 91-Apr 94-I didn't take orders well (especially from people who I found to be dipshits, the only reason they were higher ranked is because they had been there longer), so the Commanders never much cared for me. The last one I wouldn't be surprised if he was taken out by his own troops during combat, the guy was basically a halfwit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Served in the US Army from 16/Jun/66 until 14/Jun/68. Other than basic training, I consider my service in the Army to be a 22 month vacation in Texas, Korea, and Texas. Never had any AIT. The Pentagon said I had Civilian Acquired Skills (CAS). I was a file clerk for a railroad.

Never trust Army Records. According to my records I was 16D20, Hawk Launcher Crewman in Korea. I was in Btry B 6th Bn (Hawk) 44th Arty in Korea, but I was a Motor Pool Supply Clerk in a Sgt Bilko platoon. When I came back to The States my records state that I was a Hawk Launcher Crewman Instructor at Fort Bliss. I was in a Hawk training unit but I was a janitor during my last 5 months in the army along with a couple of other short timers that Army did not know what to do with.

Anyway I am still damn proud to have been a soldier in the US Army.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

On a serious side lets not forget the Vets that fought and died.
This day was originally called Armistice Day, The End od WWI. I heard on the news today that
three US WWI vets are still alive. The youngest being 111.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

A local Chicago tribute to vets. I like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZDw-47 ... e=youtu.be

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

A local Chicago musical tribute to vets. I like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZDw-47 ... e=youtu.be

Frank

Last edited by FrankC on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Were you stationed at Kadena AFB...?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Death Dealer wrote:
Air Force from Nov 75 til Jan 99, doing accounting & finance due to color restriction wouldn't let me in to combat fields. :( 8 1/2 years in Europe and 16 months on Okinawa and several stateside locations. :D Still trying to balance the Air Force books. :twisted:

Were you stationed at Kadena AFB, when you were on Okinawa? I spent six months at MCAS Futenma.

Did you ever make it to Sam's Anchor Inn on the road to Naha, while you were there?

............................... Image

p.s. I saw the biggest snail I have ever see, when I was on Okinawa. It had to be as large as a football, and glided across the grass at a pretty good clip.

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Keith (Cloudy), ranger, Jim (Death Dealer), Frank, lewser & all others that have served... A sincere thanks for your service.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

What THE ICEMAN said. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Thank you...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thank you ICEMAN and Liljol.

You know what...? It's not too late for you guys to learn how to march, unassemble and reassemble a rifle in the dark (Mine was a M-14, but you would be getting a M-16 these days.), scramble over the 10 foot wall on the obstacle course, and get to see the world. There are recruiters out there right now, who would love to talk to you guys. If you decide to enlist, I've got a couple unopened cans of Brasso in my footlocker, that I will be more than happy to give you, to help you get ready for inspection. :lol:

.............................................................................................................. Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:36 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

US Navy, 1984-2004, first in aviation logistics, then in petroleum. Three sea tours. Came under fire exactly once, during Operation Desert Storm, with no ordnance coming close. Got to run petroleum for the Navy and Marine Corps for my final tour of duty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:25 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Keith (Cloudy), ranger, Jim (Death Dealer), Frank, lewser & all others that have served... A sincere thanks for your service.

liljol wrote:

Post subject: What a beautiful young man...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

UCFHCY wrote:
THE ICEMAN wrote:

liljol wrote:

What a beautiful young man...

What amazing things will he live to see, that those of us, who are no longer young, could ever dream of...?

Post subject: Re: What a beautiful young man...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:33 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Thanks to everyone that has served/is currently serving our country. Pic is from when the Rays made their World Series run when the Rayhawk was all the rage in Tampa....

Cloudy wrote:
UCFHCY wrote:
THE ICEMAN wrote:

liljol wrote:

What a beautiful young man...

What amazing things will he live to see, that those of us, who are no longer young, could ever dream of...?

Post subject: I would hope that this thread is not...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:17 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I would hope that this thread is not a one post and done deal. It's starting to look like there aren't many military people (past or present) on the "ScaRatings". So I think it is up to us to keep this thread alive. I've got to think you guys have many stories to tell. Go ahead and tell us some of them. We got off to a good start. However, so far our posts sound like responces to a survey. Let it all hang out. If your experiences in the military were anything like mine, I'm sure that all of you have interesting, funny, or perhaps frightening experiences to relate.

Heck, even if you weren't in the military, but had family or friends that were, go ahead and pass their stories on to us.

I've got a bunch of them, but this time I'm not going first.

.............................................. Image

............................................................... Your turn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:17 pm 
Himself Fodder

My dad served in the jungles of Vietnam for a year. He did not sign up, he was drafted, he had no choice. He was sent into hell for a year while other pussies got deferments for no reason. He was also there when I was born, he was cheated out of that.

But he taught me one important thing about war and the military, those who have seen war, really seen war DO NOT TALK ABOUT IT. Those who served but have not seen war like to talk about as if they have seen war. These people tend to piss him off.

Those who have served in this thread have done it right so far, posted where they were stationed and perhaps what they did in a general sense. But few details.

So basically there are no stories that should be told. And if there are, I'm probably going to call it a lie written by a pussy. Use the thread for thanking those who have served and shut the fuck up when it comes to stories.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:52 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

I never served, but my Dad and lots of Uncles served in WWII.

They never wanted to talk about battle, but some did like to talk about military life and experiences.

As one who hasn't served, I am not sure of the appropriateness of discussing the military, and certainly I know nothing of the horror of war.

Of those of you who have served, do you agree with Bo ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm 
Centenarian

My uncle passed away a few years at age 84. I knew he served in World War II but that was all I knew. After my dad died we found a letter from my uncle to him written shortly after he landed at Anzio Beach. So he participated in some of the heaviest fighting in the European theater. Yet he never spoke of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

B O D wrote:
My uncle passed away a few years at age 84. I knew he served in World War II but that was all I knew. After my dad died we found a letter from my uncle to him written shortly after he landed at Anzio Beach. So he participated in some of the heaviest fighting in the European theater. Yet he never spoke of it.

My father fought at Anzio also.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
I never served, but my Dad and lots of Uncles served in WWII.

They never wanted to talk about battle, but some did like to talk about military life and experiences.

As one who hasn't served, I am not sure of the appropriateness of discussing the military, and certainly I know nothing of the horror of war.

Of those of you who have served, do you agree with Bo ?

Frank

Last edited by FrankC on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Your stories don't have to be about charging a machine gun..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Your stories don't have to be about charging a machine gun nest with a bayonet. Funny stories work just as well.

Here's one of mine.

When I was a student pilot in Pensacola I overslept for a 5:00 a.m. take off. I got to the the aircraft about 20 minutes late, thinking I'm in big, big trouble. I went out to the T-28 to find no instructor there. I stood there for about ten minutes, when the instructor pilot came running up to the aircraft. He said, "Lt. MacLeod let's get strapped in. We're really late, and I'm sorry for keeping you waiting for me all this time. I overslept." I never told him that I had overslept too, and had only been there for ten minutes. That was an interesting flight for me. It was the only time I ever saw the sun rise twice on the same day. Once at 10,000 feet, while in the air, and then again after we had landed where it was still dark on the ground until the sun rose again that morning.

p.s. I don't have any war stories of my own to tell. I never got into combat, but if I had, I and my CH-46 would just have been a big, slow, noisy helicopter in the sky for the bad guys to take target practice on. If I did get to Nam and got shot down, my only weapons would have been a Smith & Wesson 38 revolver and a five inch survival knife. My best weapon of defence would probably have been a large white flag. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Your stories don't have to be about charging a machine g
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:12 am 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy wrote:
The closest to combat I ever got was in bars in Okinawa, as the Commandant never got around to issuing me orders to Nam. Even though I have no war stories to relate, I did cheat death a number of times while flying.

Cloudy wrote:
p.s. I don't have any war stories of my own to tell. I never got into combat

Yeah, we get it. You never saw any combat. You were lucky. Others were not.

Cloudy, I'm going to try to be nice here. Once. No more.

The subject of discussing military experiences is not pleasant for most. Those who saw action rarely if ever discuss it. It's simply too horrifying. And it's too sensitive a topic. I strongly suggested no stories be told here for various reasons, for whatever reason you chose to ignore this. You need to reconsider.

I truly believe you mean no harm in this, but your light attitude here is insulting to those who fought and died while you were spared the horrors. And as the son and grandson of those who were lucky enough to live through hell, I will not put up with it in this forum.

Post subject: Last of three duplicate posts deleted.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:33 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sorry to waste space on the "ScaRatings", but I had to manually delete the last of three duplicate posts. :evil:

Oops, does duplicate pertain to only two things...? :oops:

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.