New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bachelor weekend
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:21 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Long story short, in a couple of weeks I will be a bachelor from Thursday 4am until sometime Monday following. Wife and kids are going on a ski trip with my father in law, and to save money ($300 in kennel fees and $500 in gas/food), I'm staying home. I will be home alone for about five days.

what to do, what to do, what to do.

I've set aside one day for stuff around the house (repairs, cleaning, etc), and one day to watch all 6 Star Wars movies. Although I wish I could, I won't be out playing trivia, due to trying to save money. I'm open to suggestions. What would you do if you had a 5 days alone and by yourself?

Post subject: I'll help you with repairs, etc...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

MiniYoda wrote:
Long story short, in a couple of weeks I will be a bachelor from Thursday 4am until sometime Monday following. Wife and kids are going on a ski trip with my father in law, and to save money ($300 in kennel fees and $500 in gas/food), I'm staying home. I will be home alone for about five days.

I've set aside one day for stuff around the house (repairs, cleaning, etc), and one day to watch all 6 Star Wars movies. Although I wish I could, I won't be out playing trivia, due to trying to save money. I'm open to suggestions. What would you do if you had a 5 days alone and by yourself?

YODA, if I get back to Louisville in time, I'll help you with repairs, etc... After we've got everything done, I think we might be able to find a little time to play some trivia, and suck down a beer or two. Hell, with all of the money you've saved by staying home, I think this looks like a plan. (I fly back into Louisville on January 3rd.)

....................................................................Image

............................................... "YODA, it's a piece of cake. We will have the house in shipshape order in no time. Once we're done the beer will flow...!" :lol:

Post subject: Re: Bachelor weekend
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:39 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Could do a FSHMAN imitation and have a coca cola while playing trivia. Course, you would need some really good scores to complete the imitation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
Could do a FSHMAN imitation and have a coca cola while playing trivia. Course, you would need some really good scores to complete the imitation.

But, then you would have to stop playing and just wait for something better to come along and then finish.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 am 
Golden Tee Master

lewser wrote:
scar wrote:

But, then you would have to stop playing and just wait for something better to come along and then finish.

Is this the last shot of 2012 or the first shot of 2013. :P

Post subject: Re: I'll help you with repairs, etc...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 am 
Lotsa Posta

Cloudy wrote:
MiniYoda wrote:

YODA, if I get back to Louisville in time, I'll help you with repairs, etc... After we've got everything done, I think we might be able to find a little time to play some trivia, and suck down a beer or two. Hell, with all of the money you've saved by staying home, I think this looks like a plan. (I fly back into Louisville on January 3rd.)

....................................................................Image

............................................... "YODA, it's a piece of cake. We will have the house in shipshape order in no time. Once we're done the beer will flow...!" :lol:

Cloudy, can't say the ole shack is that bad, but it can use a little fixing up. Actually, right now on the list is replacing a couple of boards on the fence, replacing a toilet (an hour or so, easy task), fixing a shelf in the fridge and running a satellite cable to my step son's room. All of this I can knock out in 6-8 hours, depending on how many beers I have while I work.

When is your next scheduled trip to Rome? Ski trip for the family is 17-21

Post subject: Timing could be a problem...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

MiniYoda wrote:

YODA, timing could be a problem. I've got some medical stuff going on at the VA on January 17th, a trip up to Dayton to see my mother on the 19th, and I'll probably be going back up to Rome, NY, shortly after. :?:

Post subject: Re: Timing could be a problem...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:42 am 
Lotsa Posta

Cloudy wrote:
MiniYoda wrote:

YODA, timing could be a problem. I've got some medical stuff going on at the VA on January 17th, a trip up to Dayton to see my mother on the 19th, and I'll probably be going back up to Rome, NY, shortly after. :?:

Depending on how late your VA thing is on the 17th, we can hook up that evening. What I need to do with the CD's you have won't take 15 minutes. We can then visit BW's. Otherwise the 18th is fine too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:02 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Another thing I'd like to do during the weekend is catch up on movies. So many movies have come out in the past 5 years which I want to see, but wife doesn't because she doesn't like movies, that I've missed a lot of good ones.

What would be your favoite movies in the past 5 years. I like epic-style quasi-historic movies like Patriot, Titanic, Gettysburg, etc. I know I want to see War Horse, but probably will rent several of the Avenger pre-movies, along with the Avengers combined hero movie.

Any other suggestions of good movies I probably missed?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MiniYoda wrote:
What would be your favoite movies in the past 5 years. I like epic-style quasi-historic movies like Patriot, Titanic, Gettysburg, etc. I know I want to see War Horse, but probably will rent several of the Avenger pre-movies, along with the Avengers combined hero movie.

Any other suggestions of good movies I probably missed?

Them right there make a great weekend. I would recommend several other movies, but people would laugh and ask how I can watch that crap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Regardless of what lewser would have you believe, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert does not "rock"...
Has Hollywood even made any historical epics in the last five years?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:45 pm 
Lotsa Posta

spotes wrote:
Regardless of what lewser would have you believe, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert does not "rock"...

War Horse is the only one I can think of right now. I'm think there might be some that are British royalty related. I haven't seen Band of Brothers yet (yes, I know, more than 5 years old).

lewser, any suggestion is welcomed. I won't say "yea or nay"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MiniYoda wrote:
spotes wrote:

War Horse is the only one I can think of right now. I'm think there might be some that are British royalty related. I haven't seen Band of Brothers yet (yes, I know, more than 5 years old).

lewser, any suggestion is welcomed. I won't say "yea or nay"

War Horse is a definite A+. You will need a couple of hankies. I really enjoyed Cowboys and Aliens. It is far better than you would think it would be. I do not get out to see many movies. My wife and I have different tastes.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: "The King's Speech"
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"The King's Speech" (2010) is one you might enjoy. It is a docudrama about George the VI's ascension to the throne, and his battle to overcome his speech impediment. I know that sounds like a terrible movie, but I promise you that it isn't, and you will like it.

Here's a link to the movie's trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAm7gRXFiRo

p.s. The trailer doesn't do the movie justice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I enjoyed: the dark knight rises, all the avenger related movies, amazing Spider-Man, Prometheus, Indiana jones: kingdom if the crystal skull, total recall, social network, Star Trek (2009), all Harry potter movies, war horse, cowboys and aliens, bridesmaids, both hangovers, taken, and my list could go on forever.

Post subject: "Lincoln"
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Lincoln" (2012) is still playing at the movie theaters. It is an absolute MUST to see! It isn't a Lincoln biography. It is the story of how Lincoln got the 13th amendment passed by Congress. You will enjoy this movie very much.

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSAbAuLhqs

p.s. The trailer doesn't do this movie justice either.

Post subject: "Letters from Iwo Jima" and "Flags of Our Fathers"
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Image .................... Image

"Letters from Iwo Jima" (2006) and "Flags of Our Fathers" (2006) are two movies directed by Clint Eastwood and filmed at the same time about the World War II battle for Iwo Jima. "Letters from Iwo Jima" presents the battle from the Japanese perspective, and "Flags of Our Farthers" tells the story from the American point of view. I think they are both very good movies. I understand that 2006 is one year outside of your five-year look back, but if you haven't seen them, I think you should.

Here's the trailer for "Letters from Iwo Jima":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51lo2dpaZ_g

(Yep, unless you speak Japanese, You will have to read the subtitles.)

Here's the trailer for "Flags of Our Fathers":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8PnTqQT1k

(It's in English.)

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "Apocalypto"
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Apocalypto" (2006) is a movie directed by Mel Gibson that tells a story of love, humor, adventure, violence, and suspence of the final days of the Mayan Empire. Yes, it is also one year outside of your five-year look back, and it will require you to learn the Yucatec Maya language, if you don't want to have to read the subtitles, but I think this is a damn good movie. You should see it, if you haven't already.

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9FMMSdbsos

p.s. The ending is quite a surprise...!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 am 
Himself Fodder

lewser wrote:
I enjoyed: the dark knight rises, all the avenger related movies, amazing Spider-Man, Prometheus, Indiana jones: kingdom if the crystal skull, total recall, social network, Star Trek (2009), all Harry potter movies, war horse, cowboys and aliens, bridesmaids, both hangovers, taken, and my list could go on forever.

I'm hurt that you did not include Crazy Girls Undercover or any of the Busty Cops movies. I'd pay good money if Cloudy would post one of his reviews on any of those movies.

Oh, Yoda and Cloudy should just shack up in a Honeymoon Suite after perusing all of this thread hilarity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:20 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Okay, this is starting to become a problem. I have a 5 day weekend, and already 3 of them are booked watching movies. One day is to watch all 6 Star Wars movies (don't ask...I'm a geek....it will happen). One day it to watch The Avengers movies (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Hulk, Captain America, Thor, and The Avengers). And now one day to watch Cloudy's recommendations (King's Speech, Letters From Iwo Jima, Flags Of Our Fathers, Apocalypto, and I wanted War Horse). I was hoping to do some house stuff during that time as well, which is one day.

That leaves one more day open. I was told Band Of Brothers, but I think that is a series, so it might be the full day to watch it. I still want to see what movies/shows are on the satellite, like Spike, SyFi, etc. Might record some movies and watch them.

But, when will I have time to go out for more beer/popcorn/tv dinners, and should I include sleep in my schedule?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:27 pm 
Lotsa Posta

lewser wrote:

I've Seen Star Trek 2009 and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in the theater. I've also seen Social Network, Bridesmaids and the first Hangover movie. Not sure if I want to see the remake of Total Recall, because that is a "thinking" movie, and my brain isn't the kind for thinking movies. I did start watching cowboys and aliens...didn't fancy it too much at first.

Two others that are on the list that (sadly) I haven't seen are The Hunger Games and Avatar. Yes, they don't fall into the realm of "docu-dramas", but they are probably on the list of "should really see" movies.

"things to do around the house" list is up to 15. I might need to schedule another weekend just to recover from Bachelor Weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Both of those are damn good as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
MiniYoda wrote:
Okay, this is starting to become a problem. I have a 5 day weekend, and already 3 of them are booked watching movies...

That leaves one more day open. I was told Band Of Brothers, but I think that is a series, so it might be the full day to watch it. I still want to see what movies/shows are on the satellite, like Spike, SyFi, etc. Might record some movies and watch them.

But, when will I have time to go out for more beer/popcorn/tv dinners, and should I include sleep in my schedule?

Band of Brothers is most definitely worth your time but it will take aboot 12 hours of your time in total. It may be one to save for another time.

Post subject: "Next"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Though this is not anywhere close to being a docudrama, I'm going to suggest that you see "Next" (2007). It's a good movie starring Nicholas Cage, who plays a Vegas magician, that has a special gift. I'm not a big Nicholas Cage fan, but he does a good job in this movie. It has an interesting plot, and I think you will enjoy it.

Here's the link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0v05cRq18Q

Post subject: "Idiocracy"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

YODA, I'm going to give you one more to watch.

"Idiocracy" (2006) is a movie that you MUST see...! It is a comical look at what our culture will look like 500 years from now, if things keep heading the way they are today.

Yeah it's a year outside your five-year look back, and it isn't a docudrama, but you won't need to worry about reading subtitles, because this one is in English. :lol:

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk

p.s. Five hundred years from now, this movie might qualify for being a docudrama. :lol: