New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Yep, it's come to this...
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Considering the number of deaths worldwide from cigarette smoking, they probably are worse. :| Five million deaths from smoking every year, and possibly eight million annually by 2030.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/

-- RWM

Yep, it's come to this... Nukes are okay, even though they have the ability to kill everyone on the planet in a heartbeat once somebody pushes the button.

Post subject: Re: Yep, it's come to this...
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Yep, it's come to this... Nukes are okay, even though they have the ability to kill everyone on the planet in a heartbeat once somebody pushes the button.

Worldwide, since 1945. Hundreds of thousands of deaths from nukes (almost all from Hiroshima or Nagasaki in 1945.) Hundreds of millions of deaths from cigs (currently five million every year.)

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: Return of "The Smokers' Thread"
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

This is from 1604...

http://laits.utexas.edu/poltheory/james ... laste.html

Post subject: Secretary of the Navy wants to ban cigarette sales...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The Secretary of the Navy, Ray Mabus, wants to ban cigarette sales on all Navy and Marine Corps bases, as well as ships. (He has already raised the price of cigarettes in all places under his jurisdiction.)

http://www.nhregister.com/business/2014 ... s-on-bases

This man is a fool. If he gets his way, it won't stop Sailors and Marines, who want to smoke, from smoking. They will simply buy their cigarettes off base, and when they go to sea they will just stuff a bunch of cartons into their sea bags to have enough smokes to get them through the cruise.

Secretary Mabus's idea is incredibly stupid. Other than pandering to the anti-smoking zealots, his proposed ban will do nothing to decrease the number of Sailors and Marines, who chose to smoke. It will only transfer all of their cigarette purchases from the PX to the closest Walmart.

Post subject: Re: Secretary of the Navy wants to ban cigarette sales...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

The Secretary of the Navy, Ray Mabus, wants to ban cigarette sales on all Navy and Marine Corps bases, as well as ships. (He has already raised the price of cigarettes in all places under his jurisdiction.)

http://www.nhregister.com/business/2014 ... s-on-bases

This man is a fool. If he gets his way, it won't stop Sailors and Marines, who want to smoke, from smoking. They will simply buy their cigarettes off base, and when they go to sea they will just stuff a bunch of cartons into their sea bags to have enough smokes to get them through the cruise.

Secretary Mabus's idea is incredibly stupid. Other than pandering to the anti-smoking zealots, his proposed ban will do nothing to decrease the number of Sailors and Marines, who chose to smoke. It will only transfer all of their cigarette purchases from the PX to the closest Walmart.

Naturally, I like Secretary Mabus' idea. I realize that most personnel would simply buy their cigarettes elsewhere, but I like the message this sends. The military (or at least the Navy and Marines) should not encourage or condone cigarette smoking among its staff due to the health risks involved. They have a big responsibility to our whole country and they need to be at their best, which cannot happen if they are addicted to tobacco (or anything else for that matter.)

But since you don't approve of this idea, do you have a better plan, one that would decrease the number of military personnel who smoke?

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
The military (or at least the Navy and Marines) should not encourage or condone cigarette smoking among its staff due to the health risks involved.

So, the goal here is to eliminate all health risks for folks whose careers consist primarily of going into harm's way?
Bitterly ironic or ironically bitter?
I miss the good old days when the only smoking related health concern in the military was "three on a match".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
zog741 wrote:
The military (or at least the Navy and Marines) should not encourage or condone cigarette smoking among its staff due to the health risks involved.

So, the goal here is to eliminate all health risks for folks whose careers consist primarily of going into harm's way?
Bitterly ironic or ironically bitter?
I miss the good old days when the only smoking related health concern in the military was "three on a match".

I think there is a fair difference between "not encouraging or condoning cigarette smoking" and "eliminating all health risks."

Also, while I question some of the conflicts that the U.S. gets involved with, I would prefer to pay my taxes toward our troops defending this country. I would rather not have to pay for avoidable medical expenses caused by their tobacco addiction.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Also, while I question some of the conflicts that the U.S. gets involved with, I would prefer to pay my taxes toward our troops defending this country. I would rather not have to pay for avoidable medical expenses caused by their tobacco addiction.

-- RWM

I would have no problem with your tailoring of taxation based on not paying for other people's mistakes.
We can start by refunding all of my taxes spent on public funding for children.
Most of my taxes spent on welfare should be coming back my way since those people make consistently bad life choices.
All of my taxes used toward Medicaid will come back, given that those people made the mistake of not planning ahead properly to be insured.
Good call. The solution was right in front of us the whole time.

The sole purpose of government redistribution of wealth is to pay for people's poor life choices.
That's just the way it works.
If I can overlook the 90% that I pay in taxes thanks to other folks' nincompoopery, you can put up with the .000001% of your taxes that go to smoking vets, couldn't you?

Post subject: Manual delete
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Manual delete

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "No Thanks. I'm trying to quit."
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I've got some bad news for the anti-smoking zealots. You are all going to die from something, even if you have quit smoking or have never smoked in your life. Perhaps not from a firing squad, but certainly from something else. Take your choice.

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "No Thanks. I'm trying to quit."
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

I quit four years ago. No Thank You.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Good move Frank...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I quit four years ago. No Thank You.

Good move Frank, because this is what is likely coming next:

Image ..................... Image

Post subject: This will never stop...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

This attack on smokers will never stop. It is an insane crusade by anti-smoking zealots to deny smokers any personal freedom to enjoy themselves no matter how much they politely concede to the zealots' crusade. The anti-smoking zealots are never satisfied. They will never stop attacking the rights of those they wish to crush. Even when smokers retreat and wave the white flag, these zealots still attack them.

A teacher's assistant gets fired, because she smelled of tobacco. Many shopping malls don't allow smoking in the acres of their open air parking lots. Even though there is not a scintilla of scientific proof behind it, secondhand smoke is now considered a killer right up there with cyanide. Not joking, thirdhand smoke is a new crisis that they are focusing on. I could go on and on, but that's enough for now.

However, these zealots will never stop...

One would think that these zealots would rejoice as former smokers gave up their Marlboros and switched to totally non-polluting electric cigarettes, that only put water vapor out into the air.

Nope, the zealots are not rejoicing. Their crusade goes on. They hate the non-polluting electric cigarettes too.

How do I know...?

This afternoon I went to Buffalo Wild Wings in Middletown, Kentucky, and there is now a large sign on the front door that says, "NO E-CIGARETTES ALLOWED."

This will never stop until...

p.s. I smoked a half pack of cigarettes while making this post. I'm 68 and still alive. Duncan, my 16-year-old cat, is right here next to me, and he's still alive and well. Unfortunately, the dozens of pantry moths that flit around, are all still alive too. :lol:

p.p.s. Anti-smoking zealots have NO sense of humor. :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: This will never stop...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:58 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
This attack on smokers will never stop. It is an insane crusade by anti-smoking Nazis to deny smokers any personal freedom to enjoy themselves no matter how much they politely concede to this Nazi crusade. The anti-smoking Nazis are never satisfied. They will never stop attacking the rights of those they wish to crush. Even when smokers retreat and wave the white flag, these Nazis still attack them.

A teacher's assistant gets fired, because she smelled of tobacco. Many shopping malls don't allow smoking in the acres of their open air parking lots. Even though there is not a scintilla of scientific proof behind it, secondhand smoke is now considered a killer right up there with cyanide. Not joking, thirdhand smoke is a new crisis that they are focusing on. I could go on and on, but that's enough for now.

However, these Nazi's will never stop...

One would think that these Nazis would rejoice as former smokers gave up their Marlboros and switched to totally non-polluting electric cigarettes, that only put water vapor out into the air.

Nope, the Nazis are not rejoicing. Their crusade goes on. They hate the non-polluting electric cigarettes too.

How do I know...?

This afternoon I went to Buffalo Wild Wings in Middletown, Kentucky, and there is now a large sign on the front door that says, "NO E-CIGARETTES ALLOWED."

p.s. I smoked a half pack of cigarettes while making this post. I'm 68 and still alive. Duncan, my 16-year-old cat, is right here next to me, and he's still alive and well. Unfortunately, the dozens of pantry moths that flit around, are all still alive too. :lol:

p.p.s. Anti-smoking Nazis have NO sense of humor. :lol:

I'm sure that "anti-smoking Nazis" don't find death by lung cancer or emphysema or COPD to be very humorous. Especially when the death is of a non-smoker breathing second- or ever third-hand smoke.

As for the e-cigarettes, I'm not sure that they're as safe as it's proponents would make it appear. It seems that their vapor contains some carcinogens, based on the Wikipedia article on e-cigarettes in the link below. Until their safety can be better documented, if I managed a business where children would be present, such as any restaurant, I would not allow their use either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

You're right Cloudy about one thing: This will never stop. :)

-- RWM

Post subject: Thanks for confirming everything I said...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
This attack on smokers will never stop. It is an insane crusade by anti-smoking Nazis to deny smokers any personal freedom to enjoy themselves no matter how much they politely concede to this Nazi crusade. The anti-smoking Nazis are never satisfied. They will never stop attacking the rights of those they wish to crush. Even when smokers retreat and wave the white flag, these Nazis still attack them.

However, these Nazi's will never stop...

One would think that these Nazis would rejoice as former smokers gave up their Marlboros and switched to totally non-polluting electric cigarettes, that only put water vapor out into the air.

Nope, the Nazis are not rejoicing. Their crusade goes on. They hate the non-polluting electric cigarettes too.

How do I know...?

p.p.s. Anti-smoking Nazis have NO sense of humor. :lol:

I'm sure that "anti-smoking Nazis" don't find death by lung cancer or emphysema or COPD to be very humorous. Especially when the death is of a non-smoker breathing second- or ever third-hand smoke.

As for the e-cigarettes, I'm not sure that they're as safe as it's proponents would make it appear. It seems that their vapor contains some carcinogens, based on the Wikipedia article on e-cigarettes in the link below. Until their safety can be better documented, if I managed a business where children would be present, such as any restaurant, I would not allow their use either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

You're right Cloudy about one thing: This will never stop. :)

-- RWM

Thanks for confirming everything I said.

Post subject: Re: Thanks for confirming everything I said...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:13 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

It was nothing. Now, see if you can do something about your moths, preferably without setting your house on fire.

-- RWM

Post subject: Oh, you do have a sense of humor...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

It was nothing. Now, see if you can do something about your moths, preferably without setting your house on fire.

-- RWM

Oh, you do have a sense of humor. Pretty funny. :lol: If burning my house down would wipe all pantry moths for all time, I might think about doing it. However, pantry moths are ubiquitous. They are everywhere, and nothing seems to be able to wipe them out, since the government banned Shell Pest Strips, that passively killed all of the insects that invaded your home, back in the 1960s.

By the way, happy birthday my good friend. :D

p.s. If I get a bad surprise, and the cigarettes kill me, could you take in a good cat called Duncan...? :lol:

Post subject: Re: Oh, you do have a sense of humor...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Oh, you do have a sense of humor. Pretty funny. :lol: If burning my house down would wipe all pantry moths for all time, I might think about doing it. However, pantry moths are ubiquitous. They are everywhere, and nothing seems to be able to wipe them out, since the government banned Shell Pest Strips, that passively killed all of the insects that invaded your home, back in the 1960s.

By the way, happy birthday my good friend. :D

p.s. If I get a bad surprise, and the cigarettes kill me, could you take in a good cat called Duncan...? :lol:

Thank you for the Happy Birthday, Cloudy. Of course that day was yesterday, but I'm using it as an excuse to take today off of work. My current age matches the length of a famous hitting streak. Or, if anyone asks, I'm 29, and have been 29 for the past 27 years. ;) (As you can see, my alleged sense of humor is a work in progress. :P)

No, you don't want me to adopt Duncan. I've got a cat, and he thinks he is Genghis Khan; maybe he was on one of his eight previous lives. ;) So (and this makes it an on-topic post), you should quit the habit until you've outlived your cat. :)

Then, get another cat and try to outlive your new pet. 8-) Good luck. :)

-- RWM

Post subject: To quote Mark Twain...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

To quote Mark Twain...

"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I’ve done it thousands of times."

Post subject: Marry someone, who smokes, and might die...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's some good advice. Marry someone, who smokes, and might die. You could be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Check this out:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fla- ... s-24634294

A jury awarded a woman $23.6 billion in punitive damages against the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. in a lawsuit filed by the widow of a longtime smoker, who died of lung cancer.

Hell, I've been a longtime smoker, but damn I'm still alive. (Age 68) Dang, if I just could develop lung cancer and die, my kids would never have to work a day in their lives again, if they could find a jury like the one that handed down a verdict like this. (Yeah, the lawyers will probably take half of it, but even if they do, I think my three kids could split up $11.6 billion dollars, and get along pretty well on it. :lol:

p.s. Yep, that's billion with a "B", NOT a measly million.

p.p.s. Perhaps it might be time for some tort reform. :lol:

Post subject: SCAR and DANTE have both quit smoking...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I was surprised to find out that both SCAR and DANTE have quit smoking, when I saw them at SCAR's recent welcome home party. My hat is off to them, because this is something that is very hard to do. If anyone else is going to do the same thing, I have a simple request. Please don't throw the carton(s) of cigarettes that you have sworn off into the trash, as many do. Just mail them to me. I will reimburse you for the postage, and toss in a little thank you money for taking the time to send them to me.

Let's all hope that SCAR and DANTE don't balloon up to become fatso blimpos, and become pudgy faced sumo wrestlers the next time we see them, after kicking the unhealthy, socially unacceptable, filthy habit of smoking. :lol:

............................................................................................... Image

....................................."SCAR san, konnichiwa, this is more honorable than trivia combat." ........"DANTE san, honorably prepare yourself to be squished flat on the sumo mat."

Last edited by Cloudy on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:27 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: SCAR and DANTE have both quit smoking...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
あなたのタバコのカートンを曇りのメールしましたか? 彼はちょうどそれらを得て!

:lol:

-- RWM

Last edited by zog741 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

No, I do not speak or understand Japanese. (Isn't that obvious?) I used an online translater to generate a translation of the following:

Quote:
Did you mail your cigarette cartons to Cloudy? He is just dying to get them!

How close the actual output came to that message is anyone's guess! :)

-- RWM

Post subject: I believe that this is a better translation...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
あなたのタバコのカートンを曇りのメールしましたか? 彼はちょうどそれらを得て!

:lol:

-- RWM

I believe this is a better translation:

............................................................................................... Image

.............................................. 傷跡さん、こんにちは、これはトリビアの戦闘よりも立派です...........ダンテさんは、立派に自分が相撲のマットの上に平らに踏み付けする準備します

You must admit that it has better grunting inflections. However, perhaps we should get liljol over here. He's the go-to-man, when it comes to replacing English words with Japanese Kanji characters.

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Quote:
Hi, this is a trivia battle scars from was supurb ........... Dante, sumo wrestling to their fine mat, prepare the tread on a flat on

Seems like I am missing something in the translation. :lol:

-- RWM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next