New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Play trivia while you wait for your food/beverages
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffalo-w ... 00802.html

The Comments section is the part most worth reading.

Post subject: Re: Play trivia while you wait for your food/beverages
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I used to play at BWW about 8 years ago, but the food seemed to get worse every time I went. The one I played at had a ceiling fan fall and hit a lady in the head, and was closed a few months later. There are plenty of other places to play trivia that have far better food, service, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffalo-wild-wings-fix-most-143000802.html

The Comments section is the part most worth reading.

It is almost like the general population is of the same opinion as trivia players. How did this place become so popular with such negative views?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Apparently my experiences these past few months have been way more than a lil better than what a good number in that article and other here have had. :|

Generally speaking, the BWWs in NTN Buzztime's Site-Poor Backyard have been very good to this lil old cheap grumpy bastard, even to the point of letting me in a lil early to start banging away at Lunchtime Trivia. :o That said, I have a lil caveat or more with respect to their menu...

1. The "wraps" are usually not well wrapped :(, so their contents drip all over my lil hands and whatever Playmakers there are (BWW Chula Vista Center still has the Blue Playmakers; all others have tablets).

2. I'd have to agree with the general sentiment that most of the menu is more than a lil overpriced. FWIW, my usual liquids at BWW are regular lemonade and water, since I'm way more than a lil too cheap to shell out whatever they charge for O'Doul's. :lol:

This past week I made several visits to the only BWW in Vegas with tablets, designated as Mall Ring Circle, across from Sunset Station. Again, I found their service to be far better than that described elsewhere. Then again, at no time was that store at close to full capacity. :roll:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:07 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The last few months I have been playing almost all my trivia at a local BWW for a couple of different reasons.

First its only about a 10-12 minute drive to get there so its quite handy.

Second, fairly often when I go there are a few other trivia players to play against. That never mattered to me much when I was playing the sports games every week because I was good enough in those games to be playing against "the nation", and it didnt bother me to be the only trivia player in the bar which I often was at Paper Valley hotel. I actually prefrred to play alone in that situation. Now with no sports games for me to compete in, and my rather ordinary to slightly better than average scores in Countdown and SIX , I find I can go to BWW and alot of the times have a few people I can compete against.

I tell you though were it not for the above 2 reasons I cant say I would frequent a BWW were it not for trivia.
I really enjoy watching sports while playing trivia, but otherwise I generally dont go to a bar to watch sports. I can do that at home. Plus the acoustics at BWW are horrible, especially when they have the sound on for games (which is alot of thetime). It is so noisy in there that you cant even hardly talk to a person sitting next to you.
The flooring material is bad as well, and the sound of customers and staff continually moving chairs around and the noise from their wheeled bins for garbage is quite annoying. Plus the staff rigth at the bar incessantly stacking hundreds and hundred of plastic glasses................well, you get the point.

That being said, I have had no trouble at all with bartenders and staff at BWW. I alwasy try to tip very well and find that once they get to know you a bit and realize that you will take care of them they are much more attendent regarding changing TV screens for trivia, being timely on getting me a new board when I need it etc. These things are true of anyplace though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I probably would not have had much to say about this until recently. Our team has had plenty of opportunity to switch to a BWW over the years (we are now on our fifth or sixth location, depending on how you want to calculate it) but always chose not to until recently. The reasons include all of those ones that have been listed repeatedly, but also included the fact that every BWW in which I have ever played was too loud to be conducive to team play. However, we did not really have much choice this last time--of the local BT locations, only a BWW could accommodate the size of our team on a regular basis (15-25 players on any given Tuesday).

All that being said, I have been pleasantly surprised with our experience at BWW-Kent. First of all, because it is in a newly-refurbished building that used to be a hotel, it is multi-level with a considerably quieter second-floor. Second, the management there has been very accommodating to us--We have a three-walled room to ourselves with all the screens turned to trivia, and the staff have been instructed to charge the boxes and bring them to us when we ask for them.

I realize that this case is more the exception than the rule, but it does demonstrate that not all BWWs are uniformly non-conducive to trivia--a perception I definitely had before we moved there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:44 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Yeah, it really varies. I've been to good and bad BDubs as far as BT support goes. In general, they are adequate to me.

Post subject: Buffalo Wild Wings forever...!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:33 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Buffalo Wild Wings forever...! (I hope.)

Yeah, the food ain't that great, and the place can get God awful loud, but they ALL have NTN trivia. I've never seen one close their doors, and they go out of their way to cater to trivia players. Despite their shortcomings, I like Buffalo Wild Wings, because somehow I believe that they will always be there, always have Buzztime trivia, and I will never have to transfer my points to some other bar that will drop trivia after their contract runs out.

p.s. I'm praying to God that they will put a Buffalo Wild Wings into Utica, NY. A 20 minute drive there from Rome sure beats an hour long drive to Syracuse.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:50 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I hate to criticize them because I'm not sure we'd even have NTN any more if it wasn't for all the BWW locations. But that being said, I don't understand why they have such uncomfortable furniture--the hardwood booths with straight-up seat backs or the hi-top tables with stools that have no backs. I'd have to be a lot younger and have a much stronger spine to sit there through an entire football game.

And their investment in NTN is supposed to encourage trivia players to come in a stay for a while. Why encourage them to stay if you're going to deliberately make them uncomfortable?

And I'm not a fan of the food either. I love a juicy, medium rare burger. At BWW's, they will only cook them very well done, all pinkness inside a forgotten memory and meat the consistancy of an old shoe. I think they buy them precooked that way and just reheat them. Lawyers don't want any suits for serving undercooked meat. I'd rather take my chances and get it cooked my way. I'd be glad to sign a release.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:53 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

In all fairness, I should add that at my local BW(squared), the only seats in the place with backs are at the bar and that's the only place I would usually sit anyhow to play trivia.

And they don't make you eat the overcooked burgers; they just won't let you have them your way unless it's the same way they will only cook them. I'm not a fan of their scrawny wings but the panoply of sauces on offer is quite impressive. I really like the popcorn shrimp with their Asian Zing sauce. YMMV. It's pretty good.

Post subject: Stools with backs...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

S O B wrote:
In all fairness, I should add that at my local BW(squared), the only seats in the place with backs are at the bar and that's the only place I would usually sit anyhow to play trivia.

And they don't make you eat the overcooked burgers; they just won't let you have them your way unless it's the same way they will only cook them. I'm not a fan of their scrawny wings but the panoply of sauces on offer is quite impressive. I really like the popcorn shrimp with their Asian Zing sauce. YMMV. It's pretty good.

The Buffalo Wild Wings in Middletown, KY, used to have bar stools with NO backs. One time, after a few too many brewskis, I leaned back on the stool I was sitting on. (Oops, bad idea.) I guess I hadn't had way too many brewskis that night, because as my stool was going down, I had the presence of mind to kick both of my feet out to the bottom part of the bar, and pull myself and stool back up, before I went crashing to the floor.

I'm guessing that someone else wasn't so lucky, because some months later they replaced all of their bar stools with ones that had backs. (The stools at the tables are still backless though.)

Post subject: Re: Stools with backs...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:27 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Cloudy wrote:
S O B wrote:

The Buffalo Wild Wings in Middletown, KY, used to have bar stools with NO backs. One time, after a few too many brewskis, I leaned back on the stool I was sitting on. (Oops, bad idea.) I guess I hadn't had way too many brewskis that night, because as my stool was going down, I had the presence of mind to kick both of my feet out to the bottom part of the bar, and pull myself and stool back up, before I went crashing to the floor.

I'm guessing that someone else wasn't so lucky, because some months later they replaced all of their bar stools with ones that had backs. (The stools at the tables are still backless though.)

I was there, 2 seats over from you I think.

Post subject: Uncle SCAR, Why...?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:50 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
I was there, 2 seats over from you I think.

Uncle SCAR, just 2 seats away...? Why didn't you leap off your stool, and try to save me...? :lol:

It was indeed a miracle that my wobbly, old legs were able to keep me from going down that night.

Post subject: It's a miracle...!!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Buffalo Wild Wings forever...! (I hope.)

Yeah, the food ain't that great, and the place can get God awful loud, but they ALL have NTN trivia. I've never seen one close their doors, and they go out of their way to cater to trivia players. Despite their shortcomings, I like Buffalo Wild Wings, because somehow I believe that they will always be there, always have Buzztime trivia, and I will never have to transfer my points to some other bar that will drop trivia after their contract runs out.

p.s. I'm praying to God that they will put a Buffalo Wild Wings into Utica, NY. A 20 minute drive there from Rome sure beats an hour long drive to Syracuse.

It's a miracle...!

Only a few days after my quoted post (underline added to it) the Utica Observer Dispatch newspaper announced that Buffalo Wild Wings is coming to New Hartford, a Utica suburb, today. It is scheduled to open before the end of the year. It will be their "stadia model" bar/restaurant, will have more that 80 TVs, 6 to 8 large screen projectors, and 30 beers on tap. I should add that this will probably make them the biggest sports bar in Upstate New York, and they will have nothing that can compare to them for about 100 miles. :D :D :D :D :D

p.s. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that ALL Buffalo Wild Wings really have Buzztime Trivia. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yes all BWW have buzztime......and there is even better news for you.....all new BWW now come with backs on all the chairs. The bar stools, the high top chairs, all of them. Some of the booth seats are padded too.

Our Gaithersburg MD BWW opened last July and I thought that's the way they all are with backs on everything.

Maybe you can talk your KY BWW store into getting the good chairs in there.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

Post subject: Thanks, BUD...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Yes all BWW have buzztime......and there is even better news for you.....all new BWW now come with backs on all the chairs. The bar stools, the high top chairs, all of them. Some of the booth seats are padded too.

Our Gaithersburg MD BWW opened last July and I thought that's the way they all are with backs on everything.

Maybe you can talk your KY BWW store into getting the good chairs in there.

Thanks BUD, great information. It looks like Buffalo Wild Wings will be backing up trivia players from now on. :lol: