New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brew Your Own Beer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:01 am 
Lotsa Posta

Now that I'm on my own and don't have a wife to nag me all the time, I'm toying with the idea of brewing my own beer. I've done some limited research on the internet, and here's what I've found so far:

- If you drink mass produced, get-butt-drunk beer like Budweiser or Miller Light, it is more expensive to brew your own
- If you drink small craft beers, it's cheaper to brew your own.
- The start-up is expensive, but the kits aren't too bad, penny-for-penny, ounce-for-ounce
- The creativity in recopies on the internet, and the advise from current hobbyist, is almost overwhelming

So, I turn to the folks here. Has anyone brewed their own beer, and if so, could you pass along stories about the hobby? How much does it cost you and is it worth it? If you did for a while, but no longer brew your own, why did you quit? What do you recommend for someone entering the hobby, and where do you recommend buying supplies at the lowest price?

Thanks

MiniYoda

Post subject: Re: Brew Your Own Beer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Not worth the hassle. Just go play trivia and get your beer there.
Preferably an AB InBev product, my stock holding could use a boost.

Bud is about to own Miller/Coors.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:57 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Homebrewing can be a lot of fun. Your first batch of 2 1/2 cases will cost approximately $150 which includes equipment and extract kit. Subsequent batches $30 to $50 and 5 hours. Check for a local homebrew shop and look for a local home brew club because you'll get a lot of help and support and meet a lot of great people.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/
The American Home Brewers Association has a lot of free information that can help.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Thanks for the info. Bud.....while not my preferred brand (I'm a Miller guy), there is something about brewing your own beer, as a hobby. Not really cheaper than you average massed produced beverage, it is cheaper than the small crafts, and you can get creative.

Jim, thanks for the web link. Lots of info.

I'm going to probably wait until November, personal reasons, but once decided I will let y'alls know

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:55 am 
Centenarian

I used to brew a line of American Pale Ales, named Hurricane after my old Lab. I was doing graphic design then, and I said "Look for the Lab on the label!"

II brewed Category 1 through 5, with 1 being a session beer, and 5 being a full barley wine. Category 3 was great with a steak after a 20-mile bike ride. Category 4 would get you trashed, andI only brewed category 5 once.Heavily hopped,
Hurricane was a damn good beer. I had as much fun designing the labels as I had brewing and drinking the beer!

I know the initial investment can be pricey, but you'll have a great hobby and let your friend have fun with your concoctions! I used to load Hurricane up with Cascade hops.

Hurricane passed on a few years ago, and I missed him enough that my brewing career ended. I do not have it on this computer, but imagine a smiling Lab in front of a twisted trailer. That was the label for Category 2.

I strongly encourage home brewing. It's fun, you will bond with friends and make new ones. You can also utilize creativity you ever knew you had. Go fr it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I just returned from the Potomac Highlands Home Convention (42nd annual) and brewed a blue spruce beer in honor of my buddy Jim/DAWG who not only played BT, but was the official "voice" of the event.

I used to brew more often, but don't have the space. I highly recommend getting into it, especially if there are other brewers in the area.

As Charlie says in his book on Homebrewing, "Relax & drink a homebrew".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:32 am 
Lotsa Posta

tiefly wrote:
I just returned from the Potomac Highlands Home Convention (42nd annual) and brewed a blue spruce beer in honor of my buddy Jim/DAWG who not only played BT, but was the official "voice" of the event.

I used to brew more often, but don't have the space. I highly recommend getting into it, especially if there are other brewers in the area.

As Charlie says in his book on Homebrewing, "Relax & drink a homebrew".

My current living arrangements put me in a place where I know nobody, and considering the location, have very little desire to meet the people there (no further details). I am still interested in brewing my own, but would have few if any people to share it with. It would be more for self enjoyment at first. My plans are to wait until after the divorce is over, and can see my financial situation better in focus. Also, I am waiting for Black Friday to see if any stores have the starter kits at a discounted price.

But, again, thanks for all the info. "blue spruce" sounds interesting.