New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: I'm a little confused...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
Pirates eliminate Reds...EGADS!!!

At least the Bucs will get to play in a real series, regardless of the outcome.

FWIW--both Pirates & Pens play this Thursday.

TIEFLY, I'm a little confused... :?

Which team did you say would win the World Series?

Post subject: Re: THE BASEBALL THREAD.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Never said who would win it. Just that the Pens & Pirates are both playing in October for the first time in a LOOOOONNNNNGGG time. And I'm happy w/Pirates season regardless of the WS outcome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:05 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
Never said who would win it. Just that the Pens & Pirates are both playing in October for the first time in a LOOOOONNNNNGGG time. And I'm happy w/Pirates season regardless of the WS outcome.

Yeah, back in my college days, we had a guy on our floor that loved all things Pittsburgh, but especially the Pirates. We also didn't have basic cable TV in our dorm rooms, we could only get channels 1-12 on the dial. But there was a tv (with basic cable) in the lobby of each dorm... first come, first serve. We also had a friend whose nickname was The Hockey God. He used to stake out the lobby hours upon hours before the game started so that he would have control of the tv :lol:

Anyway, in this month back in 1992, it was opening night for the Pens while the Pirates also were playing in a playoff game. I went up to The Hockey God's dorm so that I could watch the Pens game. But on my way up there, I crossed paths with my other friend. So as I passed him, I told him, "Big Game Tonight!" (for the Pirates) and he smiled & replied, "Two Of 'Em!"

Tonight, 21 years later, we finally have a "Two Of 'Em" moment again :)

Post subject: Re: What team are you picking...?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Come on Liljol, and pick the team that you think will win the World Series.

ANY TEAM OTHER THAN THOSE ETERNALLY DAMNABLE FBOSOX!!!

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
tiefly wrote:

Yeah, back in my college days, we had a guy on our floor that loved all things Pittsburgh, but especially the Pirates. We also didn't have basic cable TV in our dorm rooms, we could only get channels 1-12 on the dial. But there was a tv (with basic cable) in the lobby of each dorm... first come, first serve. We also had a friend whose nickname was The Hockey God. He used to stake out the lobby hours upon hours before the game started so that he would have control of the tv :lol:

Anyway, in this month back in 1992, it was opening night for the Pens while the Pirates also were playing in a playoff game. I went up to The Hockey God's dorm so that I could watch the Pens game. But on my way up there, I crossed paths with my other friend. So as I passed him, I told him, "Big Game Tonight!" (for the Pirates) and he smiled & replied, "Two Of 'Em!"

Had a similar conversation with the school principal earlier today (wore a Pens sweater to school) when he asked if there was a game today.

"Two" was my reply.

Post subject: Re: What team are you picking...?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
liljol wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Come on Liljol, and pick the team that you think will win the World Series.

ANY TEAM OTHER THAN THOSE ETERNALLY DAMNABLE FBOSOX!!!

How aboot the Stanford Baseball team??? Image Image Image Image

Post subject: Only 12 channels...?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
tiefly wrote:

Only 12 channels...? Where I grew up we only got 2 channels through 1963. The next year I went off to college, and there was a lot of haggling between the freshmen at the student union as to which one of the 3 channels we would watch. My gosh, if we had 12 channels back then, we'd still be haggling today. :lol: (There were no dorm TVs back then. I guess the college thought we should be studying instead of watching TV.)

Post subject: Red Sox lose...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I knew not to get my hopes up for the Red Sox.

Game 1 of the ALCS ended tonight with the Detroit Tigers beating the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park by a score of 1 to 0. Worse yet, the Bosox were held to just 1 hit.

Pesiministic fan that I am, I fear that that the Red Sox are just a few games away from being eliminated. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Red Sox lose...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Game 1 of the ALCS ended tonight with the Detroit Tigers beating the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park by a score of 1 to 0. Worse yet, the Bosox were held to just 1 hit.

Pesiministic fan that I am, I fear that that the Red Sox are just a few games away from being eliminated. :cry:

TO HELL WITH THOSE ETERNALLY DAMNABLE FBOSOX ANYWAY!!! :lol: :twisted:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Watch these...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:55 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Watch these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG3QLzRXM7I

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-bas ... grand-slam

(This one is better, but when it pops up, you need to click in the middle of the second picture for great audio and video of Papi's grand slam.)

Just when I thought the Red Sox were down and out, Big Papi hit a grand slam in the 8th inning of the 2nd game of the ALCS to tie the game, and the Sox went on to win.

Even though the Tigers still look like the better team, I still believe in miracles.

Post subject: Game 6 is coming up...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:59 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Though I stuck my neck out and predicted that the Red Sox would win the World Series about a month or so ago, I really didn't think it would happen. I only did it to see if I could get some baseball chatter going on this thread. I'm still disappointed that nobody took the time to go out on a limb and post another team that they thought might do it.

Well, we are down to game six of the World Series, and the Red Sox are up on the Cardinals 3 games to 2. The last two games are going to be at Fenway Park, and Boston only has to win one of them to make my wild assed prediction come true. If the Red Sox can pull it off, I will not gloat. I will just be very happy, and thank God for yet another miracle. If the Red Sox lose both of the last two games, I won't cry. Being a Red Sox fan since around 1950, I've learned to accept disappointment.

I guess this means I will have to get myself out to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game somehow. However, if St. Louis has Enos Slaughter in the line-up or Bob Gibson on the mound, I might just stay home and play computer games instead. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I just saw that John Kerry was at the ballpark for the series clincher.
I wonder if he's there to promote the new Frankenstein movie...? :mrgreen:

Post subject: Red Sox win..! Red Sox win...!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

....................................................................................... Image

............................................................................... Red Sox win...! Red Sox win...!

I can't believe that my prediction all of that time ago would actually come true. The Boston Red Sox have won the World Series again. Better yet, this is the first time they have won the final game of the World Series at Fenway Park since 1918, when Babe Ruth was one of their ace pitchers.

If you are a Red Sox fan, I think you will enjoy watching and listening to "Tessie" by Dropkick Murphys. If you aren't a Red Sox fan, check it out anyway, and you might become one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4tTQVjHUI

(I don't think any other major league baseball team has a better song.)

Here's a link that will tell you some more about the song:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessie

p.s. Thank goodness that Enos Slaughter wasn't in the Cardinal's line up, and Bob Gibson wasn't on the mound for St. Louis tonight. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:34 am 
Golden Tee Master

liljol wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

TO HELL WITH THOSE ETERNALLY DAMNABLE FBOSOX ANYWAY!!! :lol: :twisted:

You doing ok this morning liljol? I hope you didn't do anything stupid last night like kick your neighbor's dog. :shock:
I was pulling for the Red Sox since they had some former Reds players on the team. Ross has always been underrated as a catcher. Glad he made it to a World Series winning team. Really wasn't a big fan of either team.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:11 am 
Himself Fodder

cards wrote:
You doing ok this morning liljol? I hope you didn't do anything stupid last night like kick your neighbor's dog. :shock:

He wouldn't do anything like that, his neighbor's dog is bigger than he is. Now his neighbor's goldfish is a different story..... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
cards wrote:
I was pulling for the Red Sox since they had some former Reds players on the team. Ross has always been underrated as a catcher. Glad he made it to a World Series winning team. Really wasn't a big fan of either team.

He wouldn't do anything like that, his neighbor's dog is bigger than he is. Now his neighbor's goldfish is a different story..... :shock:

EGADS!!!

:)

Post subject: What is Liljol's favorite major league baseball team...?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

What is Liljol's favorite major league baseball team? I know he will never tell me, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that a couple of you guys know what team it is. Be brave and tell me, the worst thing that can happen is that Liljol might ban you for leaking classified information. :lol:

Why do I ask...? I'm still trying to figure out why he hates the Boston Red Sox so much.

Post subject: A baseball trivia question...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's an interesting baseball trivia question:

Who is the only major league baseball player to be ejected from a league game (National or American), and never played in one?

This is not a trick, he was on the team roster, and a real player.

p.s. There is one person, who say's it isn't true by his interpretaion of what happened that day, but I don't agree with the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Are you talking about Bill Sharman being tossed with all of the Dodgers bench back in the early 50s, Cloudy?
I don't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure they were arguing balls and strikes, a tag play or something along those lines and the ump ran the lot of them.
Anyway, I've heard this question previously.
Pretty sure he's your man.

Post subject: Yes, it was Bill Sharman.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yes, it was Bill Sharman.

As I understand the story, the Dodgers called him up from the minors about a week before this happened, and he was sitting on the bench, when a big brouhaha broke out on the field. The umpire ejected the entire Dodgers team, including Bill Sharman, who never got into the game. Sadly, his baseball career ended before he ever got to play in a major league game.

However, I believe he went on to do quite well in basketball.

p.s. Damn, you're good SPOTES...! :D

Post subject: Declare Major League Baseball Opening Day a national holiday
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

HOF SS-Ozzie Smith is leading a drive to get Opening Day made into a National Holiday. Budweiser has teamed up w/him & plans are to get t/100,000 signatures needed & to t/President by Mar 31 which is Opening Day. It could take a yr to make it official if Obama agrees. Here's a link>

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... y/3XNmgfBb

Look for Declare Major League Baseball Opening Day a national holiday. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

over 5,800 signatures so far

My opinion: They need ALL teams to start on that day...Not a day before or day after

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I love baseball. But I don't believe that Opening Day should be a national holiday; that is simply going too far.

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: What is Liljol's favorite major league baseball team...?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:32 am 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:
What is Liljol's favorite major league baseball team? I know he will never tell me, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that a couple of you guys know what team it is. Be brave and tell me, the worst thing that can happen is that Liljol might ban you for leaking classified information. :lol:

Why do I ask...? I'm still trying to figure out why he hates the Boston Red Sox so much.

IIRC, one of the biggest reasons why LILJOL detests the Red Sox is that they were the last Major League Baseball team to have a black player on its roster. Pumpsie Green was the team's first, having made his debut in 1959, 12 years after Jackie Robinson's MLB debut.

As for LILJOL's favorite MLB teams, it would be the San Francisco Giants, the Oakland A's, and any team playing against the Red Sox, the Chicago Cubs, and the San Diego Padres. 8-)

Post subject: How do you know all this stuff...?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

SEKA wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

IIRC, one of the biggest reasons why LILJOL detests the Red Sox is that they were the last Major League Baseball team to have a black player on its roster. Pumpsie Green was the team's first, having made his debut in 1959, 12 years after Jackie Robinson's MLB debut.

As for LILJOL's favorite MLB teams, it would be the San Francisco Giants, the Oakland A's, and any team playing against the Red Sox, the Chicago Cubs, and the San Diego Padres. 8-)

How do you know all this stuff...?

If I remember correctly, somewhere on the "ScaRatings" site I told Liljol that Tom Yawkey was dead, and that the Boston Red Sox have been putting Black baseball players on the team roster and into the starting line-up for nearly half a century now. I think it's time to move on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

NUTS!!

What happened was unacceptable, despicable racism that should never be forgiven or forgotten.

FBOSOX!!!

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next