New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Okay, here's my answer...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Okay, here's my answer: Boston Red Sox outfielder, Gene Stephens.

http://www.baseballtoddsdugout.com/genestephens.html

"On June 18, 1953, Stephens collected three hits in one inning for the Red Sox during a 23-3 victory over the Detroit Tigers at Boston’s Fenway Park. The Bosox exploded for 17 runs in the seventh inning - sending 23 batters to the plate during their 47-minute half of the frame.

Stephens had a double and two singles off three different Detroit pitchers."

p.s. SPOTES, If somebody else has done this in the modern era, I am unaware of it. However, I think you are. Please let me know who it was. I'd hate to go to the grave without knowing who the other player was. :lol:

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: THE BASEBALL THREAD.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Johnny Damon also did it for the Sox in 2003, Cloudy.
BTW, as a former collector I have to admit that the awful condition of the '53 Topps Stephens card in your picture is killing me.

Here's today's fun fact:
I just read in the USA Today that the SF Giants are one of three teams without an African-American currently on the roster, along with the Cards and D'Backs.

Thank goodness my Red Sox aren't a bunch of racist jacklegs like those Giants.
I'm never rooting for those west coast douche bags as long as I live, that's for sure.

Mwah! Ha! Ha!

As soon as I read that article I knew there was no way I was going to be able to stop myself from torturing Liljol... :mrgreen:

Post subject: Thanks, I didn't know about Johnny Damon...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thanks, I didn't know about Johnny Damon getting 3 hits in one inning also. I got the Gene Stephen's question and answer from a radio spot called something like "Little Known Legends of Sports." It pops up every now and then on a station I listen to.

After much Googling tonight I finally stumbled across this web site:

http://voices.yahoo.com/most-hits-one-i ... 32761.html

"Most Hits in One Inning by a Player in MLB History

Tom Burns (1883) - 3

Tom Burns of the Chicago White Stockings (now Cubs) set the major league record for most hits in an inning by a player when he had three hits in the seventh inning of a game against the Detroit Wolverines played on September 6, 1883.

Burns three hits in the inning were two doubles and a home run. Chicago scored 18 runs in that seventh inning, and won the game by a score of 26-6.

Fred Pfeffer (1883) - 3

Fred Pfeffer also had three hits in one inning, and it was in the exact same game and inning as Tom Burns did for the Chicago White Stockings on September 6, 1883. Fred Pfeffer's three hits in that seventh inning were two singles and a double.

Ned Williamson (1883) - 3

Yet another Chicago White Stockings player, Ned Williamson, also got three hits in the same inning of the same game played on September 6, 1883. Williamson's three hits were two singles and a doubles, the same as Fred Pfeffer.

Gene Stephens (1953) - 3

On June 18, 1953, Gene Stephens of the Boston Red Sox set the modern era record for most hits in a inning by a player when he collected three hits in the seventh inning of a game vs the Detroit Tigers. Stephens' three hits were two singles and double.

The Boston Red Sox scored 17 runs in the seventh inning of the game in which Gene Stephens set the modern era record of three hits in one inning. The Red Sox won the game, 23-3.

Johnny Damon (2003) - 3

Johnny Damon of the Boston Red Sox tied the major league record for most hits in an inning by a player when he had three hits in the first inning of a game played on June 27, 2003, vs the Florida Marlins. Damon's three hits were a single, a double and a triple.

The Red Sox scored 14 runs in that first inning, and set a major league record for scoring the most runs at the start of a game without making an out with 10. The Red Sox clobbered the Marlins in the game, 25-8."

Interestingly, not only were both Stephens and Damon Boston Red Sox players, when they accomplished this amazing feat, they did it a half century apart, and nobody else has done it in the modern baseball era, so far.

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Three brothers in the big leagues...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

To the best of my knowledge only two families have had three brothers playing in the big leagues (modern era) at the same time. This is off of the top of my head, with no research, and could very well be wrong, but I believe the only two families would be the Dimaggios and the Alous. SPOTES will know if I'm wrong, and I'm waiting for him to correct me, and possibly add more.

p.s. It's great when you are wrong about something, and somebody corrects you. You never learn anything when you're right, but you always learn something when you're wrong. :D

Post subject: Re: Three brothers in the big leagues...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
To the best of my knowledge only two families have had three brothers playing in the big leagues (modern era) at the same time. This is off of the top of my head, with no research, and could very well be wrong, but I believe the only two families would be the Dimaggios and the Alous. SPOTES will know if I'm wrong, and I'm waiting for him to correct me, and possibly add more.

I can add five more off my head for sure and a pretty good shot at six, but you may want to verify it.

Just recently there were three Molinas (Bengie, Jose, Yadier) playing concurrently.
There were three Cruz brothers (Jose, Hector, Tommy) in the league at the same time.
Dick Allen had two brothers playing at the same time; one was Hank and I forget the other's name.
There were three Sewells: Luke, Joe, and Tom and there were also three Boyers: Ken, Clete and Cloyd

This one may not be correct.
Five different Delahanty brothers played ball around the turn of the century. Odds are that at least three of them played at the same time, but I'm not certain.

Cloudy wrote:
p.s. It's great when you are wrong about something, and somebody corrects you. You never learn anything when you're right, but you always learn something when you're wrong. :D

Learning it is not the problem.
Remembering it for future reference seems to be the sticky wicket.
I've seen people post the same incorrect stuff multiple times on the internet fairly often (not naming any names to protect the innocent, of course). :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Three brothers in the big leagues...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:50 am 
Centenarian

Part of what Spotes wrote:
...Dick Allen had two brothers playing at the same time; one was Hank and I forget the other's name.

The other Allen brother is Ron Allen, who played briefly for the 1972 St. Louis Cardinals (his only MLB season).

Hank Allen later became involved in thoroughbred horse racing, but still works in baseball as a scout for the Houston Astros.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. IIRC, of all of these brothers, only the Alous have the distinction of playing together in the same game. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: The longest homerun...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's a story that I heard many, many years ago about the longest homerun. I can't find the story anywhere today, but perhaps someone else will remember it, and fill in the details that I can no longer remember.

The story goes something like this. Some baseball player hit a homerun out of the park at an East Coast baseball stadium. When a family, visiting from the West Coast, returned to their car after the game, they discovered that someone had smashed in a back seat window. Nothing was stolen, so they drove back to their home on the West Coast. When they got back, and unloaded their stuff from the back seat, they discovered something that they didn't put there. Yep, it was the homerun baseball. So I guess the longest homerun is about 3,000 miles. :lol:

(It was never touched by anyone or hit the ground, until it got to the West Coast.)

p.s. I'm not joking about this story. I'm pretty sure that it is true.

p.p.s. Yeah, I know that it wouldn't really count as a 3,000 mile homerun in the Baseball Encyclopedia, but it's a good story nonetheless.

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: What was the longest home run timewise...?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I got this baseball question from the "Little Known Legends of Sports" radio spot.

What baseball player took the longest time to round the bases after hitting a home run...? (Big Leagues and modern era only.)

(Extra bonus points, if you know the whole story.)

Last edited by Cloudy on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:20 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: From now on...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

From now on, when I post a baseball trivia question on this thread, they will ONLY apply to the Big Leagues and the modern era, unless I specify otherwise. I'm getting tired of having to add that caveat to my baseball trivia questions. :lol:

Post subject: Re: From now on...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Cloudy wrote:
From now on, when I post a baseball trivia question on this thread, they will ONLY apply to the Big Leagues and the modern era, unless I specify otherwise. I'm getting tired of having to add that caveat to my baseball trivia questions. :lol:

Y'know what Cloudy? This thread was not started for exclusively baseball trivia. It was started with the intent to discuss how your favorite team was doing & expounding the virtues thereof.

While my D'Backs are sucking hind tit right now (for a number of reasons), my other favorite team, before the D'Backs came into being, are now a game & a half in front of the Rox & those Ducking Fodgers.
GO GIANTS!!!!!!!

Last edited by THE ICEMAN on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What was the longest homerun timewise...?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 am 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:
I got this baseball question from the "Little Known Legends of Sports" radio spot.

What baseball player took the longest time to round the bases after hitting a homerun...? (Big Leagues and modern era only.)

I would guess it was Jimmy Piersall in 1963, when he hit his 100th career home run. He ran the bases (1st base, 2nd base, 3rd base, and home) in the usual order, but he spun around and ran backward. He was playing for the New York Mets at the time. Mets manager Casey Stengel was so upset about it, that he released Piersall two days later.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:46 am 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:

Thank goodness. For a while, I thought Cloudy was about bombard us with questions regarding the Little League or the Japanese Baseball League. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

SEKA wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Thank goodness. For a while, I thought Cloudy was about bombard us with questions regarding the Little League or the Japanese Baseball League. ;)

Worse yet, my pitching stat line from the 15 year old Clarksburg Babe Ruth League All-Star game...EGADS!!!

Post subject: Yeah, it lasted for 3 1/2 pages...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Y'know what Cloudy? This thread was not started for exclusively baseball trivia. It was started with the intent to discuss how your favorite team was doing & expounding the virtues thereof.

While my D'Backs are sucking hind tit right now (for a number of reasons), my other favorite team, before the D'Backs came into being, are now a game & a half in front of the Rox & those Ducking Fodgers.
GO GIANTS!!!!!!!

Even though nowhere is it stated that this thread was started with the intent to discuss how your favorite team was doing, I will grant you that. However, if that is true, it didn't work out too well for this thread, which pretty much died after 3 1/2 pages. Why was it dying? It was dying because it was boring. I would rather think that "The Baseball Thread" is open to anything and everything about baseball, which is much more interesting. If that means obscure baseball facts or stories, or baseball trivia questions, that doesn't prevent people from posting something about their favorite baseball team.

I kind of think that opening this thread up to baseball in general saved this thread, which has now grown to 30 pages, instead of being dead after 3 1/2.

Post subject: Re: What was the longest home run timewise...?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

What baseball player took the longest time to round the bases after hitting a home run...? (Big Leagues and modern era only.)

No one has answered this baseball trivia question yet, which has been up here a very long time. Come on you baseball know-it-alls, and give it a shot. Someone try to get it before I give up on you guys and tell you the answer. :lol:

Here are a couple clues:

1- He is in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

2- He was a Brooklyn Dodger at the time.

p.s. It's a little hard to Google, so wild ass guesses and goofy answers are more than welcome. :lol:

Post subject: Enough time has gone by, so here's the answer...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Enough time has gone by, so here's the answer...

It was Zach Wheat. Zach was in his twilight years as a big league player in 1926, but he hit one over the fence. (His last home run as a Brooklyn Dodger.) As Zach got to 2nd base, his legs gave out on him, and he sat on the bag for about five minutes, before he could get himself up, and finish his jog (hobble?) to home plate.

Zach probably took more than five minutes to round the bases, but his record slow time is considered to be five minutes.

Post subject: Paul Giorgio, Red Sox Fan and mountain climber...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Paul Giorgio was a Red Sox fan and accomplished mountain climber. He decided to climb Mount Everest, and bring a Red Sox baseball cap with him in April of 2001. At the base camp he consulted a Lama, and asked him what he had to do to end the Red Sox's long history of not winning the World Series. The Lama blessed the Red Sox hat, and told Paul to take it to a nearby altar. Paul obeyed, and climbed to Mount Everest's summit.

I should add that Paul Giorgio also carried a New York Yankees baseball cap with him, which he burned at the top of Mount Everest.

I think we should find out who that Lama was, and give him a lifetime pass to Fenway Park, because his blessing of the Red Sox baseball cap worked...!

Image .......... Image

Who would ever have thought that there would be a connection between these two pictures...?

p.s. This is a true story and NOT another one of Cloudy's jokes.

p.p.s. A lifetime pass to Fenway Park would not end at the Lama's death. Why...? He would be reincarnated, and should be allowed to keep using it. :lol:

Post subject: What a Big League career...!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

At age 18, John Paciorek of the Houston Colt .45s had a marvelous career in the Big Leagues. In a game against the New York Mets on September 29th, 1963, Paciorek went to the plate five times, hitting three singles and drawing two walks. This was the only game he ever played in the Big Leagues, and he ended his Big League career with a perfect batting average and on-base percentage of 1.000, scoring four runs and driving in three during the game.

A back injury sent him back to the minors, and he never played in the Big Leagues again.

I have to believe that John Paciorek must be the greatest player of all time to have only played one game in the Big Leagues.

p.s. I'm expecting that SPOTES will soon correct me, with some guy, who played in 1869, and did better. :lol:

Post subject: Re: What a Big League career...!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

At age 18, John Paciorek of the Houston Colt .45s had a marvelous career in the Big Leagues. In a game against the New York Mets on September 29th, 1963, Paciorek went to the plate five times, hitting three singles and drawing two walks. This was the only game he ever played in the Big Leagues, and he ended his Big League career with a perfect batting average and on-base percentage of 1.000, scoring four runs and driving in three during the game.

A back injury sent him back to the minors, and he never played in the Big Leagues again.

I have to believe that John Paciorek must be the greatest player of all time to have only played one game in the Big Leagues.

p.s. I'm expecting that SPOTES will soon correct me, with some guy, who played in 1869, and did better. :lol:

Since the National League didn't even form until 1876, I may be somewhat limited on providing any MLB one-upmanship, Cloudy.
But I do know that the 1869 Red Stockings went undefeated that year in 60+ games.
Let's see your boy Paciorek top that... :mrgreen:

It pretty sad for him that he has a career OBP of 1.000 and he's nowhere close in fame or posterity to another career 1.000 OBP guy that never even took the bat off of his shoulder.
Any ideas about whom that might be?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:10 am 
Gettysburg

Gotta be 3'7" Eddie Gaedel who walked (of course) in his only at bat in 1951.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

SoCal RHYNO wrote:
Gotta be 3'7" Eddie Gaedel who walked (of course) in his only at bat in 1951.

And he slaps it right back up the middle...
Take your base, Rhyno.

Post subject: Sorry, I spent yesterday and this morning in the...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sorry, I spent yesterday and this morning at the V.A. Hospital, and just saw SPOTES' question a few minutes ago. If I had seen it sooner, I would have nailed it with the extremely good guess of Eddie Gaedel. Anyway way to go Rhyno...!

As I recall, American League president, Will Harridge, banned midgets from playing, after Bill Veeck's St. Louis Browns sent Gaedel to the plate, and cancelled his contract.

p.s. If this had happened today, I would suspect that there would be a law suite filed, based on employment discrimination against people, just because of their height. :lol:

p.p.s My stay in the V.A. Hospital was very short, because it turned out that the symptoms I had were just a false alarm. :D

Post subject: Linus (Lonny) Fry's controversial Home Run
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I might not have all of the facts correct, but I'll do the best as I can. While playing for the Cincinnati Reds in 1941 Linus (Lonny) Fry hit a long ball that got stuck in the screen about 16 feet up. (I think the Reds were playing the Dodgers that day.) While everyone was trying figure out if it was a homerun or not, Lonny didn't worry about the deliberations, and sprinted around the bases. I'm not sure if the official decision was that it was an over the fence homerun, or if it was an in-the-park homerun, but Lonny got credited with hitting a homerun nonetheless.

I'm sure that SPOTES knows the full story, and will correct any incorrect things I have posted, and explain it all.

p.s. I got this story from the "Little Known Legends of Sports" that pops up on talk radio without warning every once in a while, but I was too slow finding a pen to write it all down. :(

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Linus (Lonny) Fry's controversial Home Run
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

I might not have all of the facts correct, but I'll do the best as I can. While playing for the Cincinnati Reds in 1941 Linus (Lonny) Fry hit a long ball that got stuck in screen about 16 feet up. (I think the Reds were playing the Dodgers that day.) While everyone was trying figure out if it was a homerun or not, Lonny didn't worry about the deliberations, and sprinted around the bases. I'm not sure if the official decision was that it was an over the fence homerun, or if it was an in-the-park homerun, but Lonny got credited with hitting a homerun nonetheless.

I'm sure that SPOTES knows the full story, and will correct any incorrect things I have posted, and explain it all.

p.s. I got this story from the "Little Known Legends of Sports" that pops up on talk radio without warning every once in a while, but I was too slow finding a pen to write it all down. :(

I'm not familiar with this play.
I do know what the call should have been, though.
That ball should have been ruled as an automatic double (slightly different from a ground rule double) as it would be if it were stuck in the ivy at Wrigley.
The rule is quite clear on this sort of play. Assuming your radio program is accurate, the umps got it wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next