New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: The "Little Known Legends of Sports" often repeats stories..
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
I'm sure that SPOTES knows the full story, and will correct any incorrect things I have posted, and explain it all.

...I got this story from the "Little Known Legends of Sports" that pops up on talk radio without warning every once in a while, but I was too slow finding a pen to write it all down. :(

I'm not familiar with this play.
I do know what the call should have been, though.
That ball should have been ruled as an automatic double (slightly different from a ground rule double) as it would be if it were stuck in the ivy at Wrigley.
The rule is quite clear on this sort of play. Assuming your radio program is accurate, the umps got it wrong.

The "Little Known Legends of Sports" often repeats stories. If they run the Lonny Frey story again, I'll try to get the story down better.

Post subject: Re: THE BASEBALL THREAD.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:08 pm 
Centenarian

Asking for some help on this board.

Long before it actually happened to Jose Canseco in 1993, there was an urban legend (I think) concerning a MLB outfielder who lost sight of a fly ball, which hit him on the top of his head, and bounced over the fence for a home run.

Who was that outfielder? I tend to think that it involved Babe Herman, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

SEKA wrote:

Long before it actually happened to Jose Canseco in 1993, there was an urban legend (I think) concerning a MLB outfielder who lost sight of a fly ball, which hit him on the top of his head, and bounced over the fence for a home run.

Who was that outfielder? I tend to think that it involved Babe Herman, but I'm not sure.

If an off-the-noggin home run happened to another major leaguer, there's no easily found record of it. Not Babe Herman, though; he's quoted on his Baseball Reference page as saying "(n)ever once did I get hit on the head by a fly ball. Once or twice on the shoulder maybe, but never on the head."

Further detail can be found in this 1987 LA Times article, based on an interview from (presumably) 1984, published shortly after Herman's death: http://articles.latimes.com/1987-12-01/sports/sp-25958_1_cigar
Apparently, "(t)hat fly ball never bounced off (Herman's) head. It bounced off the head of teammate Al Tyson, who replaced Babe a few innings earlier. The official scorer failed to notice the substitution." No word whether or not that bounce exited the field, but I doubt it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:52 pm 
Centenarian

SEKA wrote:

It was not a home run but a funny bounce off the top of the head of Dion Sanders in foul territory over the back fence if it was in fair territory when it struck him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weHie2rghJw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

IMHERE wrote:

It was not a home run but a funny bounce off the top of the head of "Primetime" Deion Sanders in foul territory over the back fence if it was in fair territory when it struck him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weHie2rghJw

Prolly after that he stuck to football and he is in the NFL HOF....least he is in any HOF, unlike Bo Jackson, whose hip injury ruin his career in both leagues.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cardinals Face F.B.I. Inquiry in Hacking of Astros’ Database

The F.B.I. and the Justice Department are investigating whether officials for the St. Louis Cardinals hacked into the internal networks of the Houston Astros to steal closely guarded information about player personnel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/sport ... times&_r=0

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:05 pm 
Centenarian

The thing that puzzles me is why would the Cards back info from a team that is not even in the same division or league as them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:46 am 
Nonagenarian

SEKA wrote:
The thing that puzzles me is why would the Cards back info from a team that is not even in the same division or league as them?

"Law enforcement officials believe the hacking was executed by vengeful front-office employees for the Cardinals hoping to wreak havoc on the work of Jeff Luhnow, the Astros’ general manager, who had been a successful and polarizing executive with the Cardinals until 2011."

It seems as though this would be the main reason. Whether it was vengeful or simply the Cardinals not wanting to lose what this person was bringing to the table. FWIW, the Astros were a basement dweller in the Cardinals division until he arrived as GM and started getting better players into their system. Now they are a 1st place team in the AL West. The Cardinals may have seen him as an instrumental piece in player scouting, development, and so on and (at least some individuals) wanted to keep getting that information for themselves as well. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out and what, if anything, comes of it.

Post subject: David Ortiz has hit his 500th home run...!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

David Ortiz has hit his 500th career home run...! Big Papi is just the 27th major league baseball player to accomplish this incredible feat. Ortiz will definitely be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame...!!!

Wanna watch it...? Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDA75wxl40A

p.s. Big Papi hit two dingers in that game.

p.p.s. After watching Ortiz huffing and puffing as he crossed the plate after his leisurely trot around the bases, I'm guessing that his 500 include no in-the-park home runs. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Are the Cubs on the way to finally win the World Series, after waiting to win it again since the last time in 1908. That's 107 years of disappointment for millions of their fans, many of whom have gone to the grave without ever being able to celebrate their beloved Cubs, bringing the World Series trophy home to the windy city.

However, could this be their year...? Last night they beat the Cardinals to take a 2 to 1 lead in the best of five in the playoff games. If they can beat the Cardinals in either of the two remaining games, they will be headed to playing for the National League's contender in the World Series.

I know that it's still a long way for the Cubs to get to the World Series, and more difficult yet for them to win it, but I'm rooting for the Cubbies.

Last edited by Cloudy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Are the Cubs on the way...?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Cloudy wrote:
Are the Cubs on the way to finally win the World Series, after waiting to win it again since the last time in 1908. That's 107 years of disappointment for millions of their fans, many of whom have gone to the grave without ever being able to celebrate their beloved Cubs, bringing the World Series trophy home to the windy city.

However, could this be their year...? Last night they beat the Giants to take a 2 to 1 lead in the best of five in the playoff games. If they can beat the Giants in either of the two remaining games, they will be headed to playing for the National League's contender in the World Series.

I know that it's still a long way for the Cubs to get to the World Series, and more difficult yet for them to win it, but I'm rooting for the Cubbies.

What dimension are you living in??? ... http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/35191/bullpen-offense-pick-up-jake-arrieta-in-game-3-win-by-cubs

Post subject: Re: Are the Cubs on the way...?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

However, could this be their year...? Last night they beat the Giants to take a 2 to 1 lead in the best of five in the playoff games. If they can beat the Giants in either of the two remaining games, they will be headed to playing for the National League's contender in the World Series.

What dimension are you living in??? ... http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/35191/bullpen-offense-pick-up-jake-arrieta-in-game-3-win-by-cubs

Sounds like a Cardinal sin to me. :mrgreen:

I am still rooting for the Mets, but if the Cubs do manage to reach the World Series, I will spend the entire Series in a state of stunned disbelief.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Chuck the Fubbies... Muck the Fets... Duck the Fodgers... Go St. Louie!!!

Post subject: I'm sorry to interupt Cubs bashing...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm sorry to interrupt Cubs bashing...

Here's a link for those of you, who want to bash the Red Sox player, David Ortiz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQESMnVkQ4

p.s. This video lasts quite a long time, and unless you are a Red Sox fan, you probably don't want to watch it.

Post subject: Re: I'm sorry to interupt Cubs bashing...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

Here's a link for those of you, who want to bash the Red Sox player, David Ortiz:

p.s. It looks like I was wrong, Big Popi actually did hit an in-the-park home run.

p.p.s. This video lasts quite a long time, and unless you are a Red Sox fan, you probably don't want to watch it.

Meanwhile, have you come to realize yet that the SF Giants did not make the post season this year & are not playing the Chubbies?

Post subject: California does it again...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

California does it again...

The state has now banned baseball players from using chewing tobacco during the game. Give me a break, baseball players have chawed on tobacco wads since the game of baseball was invented. I don't think there could be any concern about innocent bystanders having medical problems caused by second hand chawing. Why the Hell is the State of California doing this?

My only guess is that it is part of the agenda that the left wing zanies, who dominate the state, want to force on those, who's behavior they don't like.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/califo ... 2015-10-12

This is a quote from Martin Niemoller:

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php ... d=10007392

I understand that what Niemoller says is much more important than what might apply to what California is doing, but it provides a warning as to what may come next.

How about this:

No more beer sales at baseball parks to protect children from being killed by drunk drivers leaving the stadium. How could anyone be against that?

p.s. I expect to hear something from someone, who says, "Oh, you're in favor of drunks leaving baseball games and killing children."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

If the Cubs do win the world series, an admittedly big "if", that will mean that Theo Epstein will have ended both the Red Sox and Cubs combined records of nearly two centuries of futility.
If he's not careful, people might start to suspect that he knows what he's doing...

Post subject: Oh shit...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

p.s. It looks like I was wrong, Big Popi actually did hit an in-the-park home run.

p.p.s. This video lasts quite a long time, and unless you are a Red Sox fan, you probably don't want to watch it.

Meanwhile, have you come to realize yet that the SF Giants did not make the post season this year & are not playing the Chubbies?

Oh Shit... I meant to say the Cardinals. :oops:

Thanks for correcting my stupid mistake.

p.s. Now I understand ZOG's comment, "Sounds like a Cardinal sin to me. :mrgreen: ". :oops:

Post subject: Please tell us more about Theo Epstein...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
If the Cubs do win the world series, an admittedly big "if", that will mean that Theo Epstein will have ended both the Red Sox and Cubs combined records of nearly two centuries of futility.
If he's not careful, people might start to suspect that he knows what he's doing...

SPOTES, please tell us more about Theo Epstein.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:54 am 
Nonagenarian

More importantly, if the Cubs win the World Series this year, then it will be another prediction that Back to the Future II got right.

Attachments:
back2future-10-100537040-orig.jpg
back2future-10-100537040-orig.jpg [ 82.79 KiB | Viewed 348 times ]

Post subject: How in the World did you ever...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brutus wrote:
More importantly, if the Cubs win the World Series this year, then it will be another prediction that Back to the Future II got right.

BRUTUS, how in the World did you remember this, or come up with the picture? :shock: Way to go...!

p.s. What was the other prediction that "Back to the Future II" got right?

Post subject: Re: How in the World did you ever...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

It accurately predicted that I wouldn't waste my time on Back to the Future III.
Does that count? :mrgreen:

Post subject: It's a long way to go...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

It's a long way to go, but the Cubbies have advanced. I've never rooted for a National League team before, but I'm making an exception for the Chicago Cubs. I've got my fingers crossed for them, and will be behind them all the way to winning the World Series.

(Damn, I hope I haven't jinxed them.) :lol:

Post subject: Re: It's a long way to go...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
It's a long way to go, but the Cubbies have advanced. I've never rooted for a National League team before, but I'm making an exception for the Chicago Cubs. I've got my fingers crossed for them, and will be behind them all the way to winning the World Series.

(Damn, I hope I haven't jinxed them.) :lol:

As our lil friend liljol is known to say...

FCUBS!!!

Post subject: Re: How in the World did you ever...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:23 am 
Nonagenarian

Cloudy wrote:
Brutus wrote:

BRUTUS, how in the World did you remember this, or come up with the picture? :shock: Way to go...!

Let's see here...flat screen TVs, video conferencing, 3d, holograms, drones, biometric identification...not necessarily predictions but just things in the movie (that took place in 2015) that are prevalent today that were not in 1989 but were depicted as part of 2015 life in the movie. Some other things are handheld tablet computers, video games that do not need controllers (Xbox Kinect), and Miami did not have a baseball team in 1989.

Also, the day that Marty and the Doc travel to is October 21, 2015.

Back to baseball though, NOT a Cubs fan at all but definitely happy that the Cardinals lost, as others would say FCARDS!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next