New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE BASEBALL THREAD.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:55 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Got to see a Pirates win, with Lastings Milledge's diving catch on the warning track to save the game the Top Play on Sports Center.

As a bonus, the Collective Soul/fireworks show afterwards was great.

Adding to that, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a decade...and he has season tickets for the Pens...EGADS!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:50 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Question.......
If he weren't made of glass, would he still have been an overrated hack? Inquiring minds want to know.

Then he would have simply been a rated hack :P
KG was put on the MLB all-century team in 1999.
It's a good thing for him that they didn't put off the voting for another five years or so.
He won 4 home run titles. None after 1999.
He won 7 silver slugger awards. None after 1999.
He won 10 Gold Gloves. None after 1999.
He was voted into 13 all-star games. Only three after 1999. (One was 2000. In 2004 he couldn't play in because he was, what are the odds, on the DL. And the third was shameless sympathy voting in 2007 to get him into the midseason classic before he turned to dust and blew away.)
Unfortunately for the Reds, the only stat he did manage to keep consistent was the number of rings he helped his ballclub win. :(
He's definitely going into the HOF.
I'm going to take a wild stab and assume that he won't be wearing a Reds cap when he does so.
If nothing else, probably for fear that he'll pull his hamstring walking up to the podium...Image

Post subject: Re: Stephen Strasburg
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:13 am 
Centenarian

Stephen Strasburg debuts for the Nats against Pittsburgh today in DC.

Some of us from West Park Station might go see the kid pitch when the Nationals visit Progressive Field this weekend; Strasburg is likely to start Sunday's game.

And, tho it has received substantially less press coverage, Strasburg also debuts tonight for the Wobbly Wombats, those mismanaged mediocrats of Yahoo Public League #198982.

They really ought'a fire their manager.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

wonk wrote:

Some of us from West Park Station might go see the kid pitch when the Nationals visit Progressive Field this weekend; Strasburg is likely to start Sunday's game.

And, tho it has received substantially less press coverage, Strasburg also debuts tonight for the Wobbly Wombats, those mismanaged mediocrats of Yahoo Public League #198982.

Saw the highlights..egads..14 K's including the last 7 batters he faced.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:35 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

stevej84 wrote:
wonk wrote:

Saw the highlights..egads..14 K's including the last 7 batters he faced.

Watched the game on Fox Sports Pittsburgh...announcers seemed embarrassed by the Pirates' batters.

Some might wait until he pitches against a real pro team, but the dude impressed the hell out of me. Plus, it looked like he was getting squeezed early by the plate umpire and adjusted nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 am 
Centenarian

As of this morning, despite the absence of rookie sensation Stephen Strasburg, my mismanaged Wobbly Wombats of yahoo public league #198982 have moved back into 1st place among their competitors, maybe about 1/2 of whom are active, and a smaller fraction thereof are competent.

Their lead likely won't last, but it made my Monday. Geez it's nice outside . . .

Last night I stayed up watching Sunday Night Baseball's Giants-Dodgers game. Great pitching matchup. Two RP's who were Pittsburgh Pirates earlier this week got into the game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:57 pm 
Centenarian

Congrats to the Texas Rangers... 8-) And Thanks... :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:25 am 
Centenarian

I did hear a few "Yankees Suck!" chants last night. It sounded a lot like Boston. Or Foxboro.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Congrats to the San Francisco Giants.

Lee and Lincecum is the match up in Game One

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Matchups for the World series

DATE TEAMS TIME (ET) NAT TV PITCHERS
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 Texas at San Francisco 7:57 PM FOX Lee vs Lincecum
Thursday, October 28, 2010 Texas at San Francisco 7:57 PM FOX Wilson vs Cain
Saturday, October 30, 2010 San Francisco at Texas 6:57 PM FOX Sanchez vs Lewis
Sunday, October 31, 2010 San Francisco at Texas 8:20 PM FOX Bumgarner vs Hunter

IF Needed

Monday, November 1, 2010 San Francisco at Texas 7:57 PM FOX Lincecum vs Lee
Wednesday, November 3, 2010 Texas at San Francisco 7:57 PM FOX Wilson vs Cain
Thursday, November 4, 2010 Texas at San Francisco 7:57 PM FOX Lewis vs Sanchez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:19 am 
Centenarian

*bump*

Where have all the baseball fans gone?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

wonk wrote:
*bump*

It's still hockey season!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:35 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

tiefly wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
wonk wrote:
*bump*

Its Also still NBA season with playoffs on going.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
tiefly wrote:
wonk wrote:
*bump*

Its Also still NBA season with playoffs on going.

Fuck that!

Only professional sport that I haven't made the time or effort to see live. Hell, I even went to a NASCAR race, plus a golf event.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
Fuck that!

Only professional sport that I haven't made the time or effort to see live. Hell, I even went to a NASCAR race, plus a golf event.

and guys in my STC team seen a NASCAR race and one did see this year's Masters in person last week.

Post subject: Roger Marris and Hank Aaron should have their records restor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

(Though I don't think this post follows what has preceded it, nonetheless, it's about baseball.)

Roger Maris should have his single season home run record restored, and Hank Aaron should have his lifetime total home runs record restored also. The guys who surpassed them were cheats, who used steroids. It is absolutely wrong to allow the steroid super players take the crowns away from real baseball players, who's numbers were earned honestly.

This makes me really angry...

(Yep, perhaps the steriod cheats might have been able to beat Roger and Hank honestly, but they didn't.)

Image ......... Image

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Roger Marris [sic] and Hank Aaron...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
(Though I don't think this post follows what has preceded it, nonetheless, it's about baseball.)

Roger Marris should have his single season home run record restored, and Hank Aaron should have his lifetime total home runs record restored also. The guys who surpassed them were cheats, who used steroids. It is absolutely wrong to allow the steroid super players take the crowns away from real baseball players, who's numbers were earned honestly.

(Yep, perhaps the steriod cheats might have been able to beat Roger and Hank honestly, but they didn't.)

I'm sorry, but is it that big a deal? In my opinion, no. I still think the best home run hitter ever was Babe Ruth, although he didn't face the quality of pitching that Hank Aaron did. Roger Maris was a one-season wonder. It is pointless to compare players from different eras like this. So their records are what they are and we are left to interpret them as we wish. The single season and career home run records are held by Barry Bonds; you may not like that but that's how it is.

-- RWM

Post subject: Heck, I might agree with you a little bit, but...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Roger Maris should have his single season home run record restored, and Hank Aaron should have his lifetime total home runs record restored also. The guys who surpassed them were cheats, who used steroids. It is absolutely wrong to allow the steroid super players take the crowns away from real baseball players, who's numbers were earned honestly.

I'm sorry, but is it that big a deal? In my opinion, no. I still think the best home run hitter ever was Babe Ruth, although he didn't face the quality of pitching that Hank Aaron did. Roger Maris was a one-season wonder. It is pointless to compare players from different eras like this. So their records are what they are and we are left to interpret them as we wish. The single season and career home run records are held by Barry Bonds; you may not like that but that's how it is.

-- RWM

Heck, I might agree with you a little bit, but not on everything.

I think the use of steroids is a BIG deal.

Babe Ruth faced more than a few Hall of Fame pitchers in his time.

Actually, there is a very good argument that the expansion of baseball teams has thinned out good pitchers, giving batters a better shot at doing well.

Yes, Roger Maris (Fixed my spelling) was a one-season wonder. He also cheated by being in the Yankee batting order with Mickey Mantle on deck, so no one dared to try to pitch around him. That must have helped Roger a lot.

You're probably right that trying to compare baseball players from different eras is somewhat difficult. However, there are a few exceptions.

From Wikipedia, I will throw Ty Cobb at you.

"Cobb is widely regarded as one of the best players of all time. In 1936, Cobb received the most votes of any player on the inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame ballot, receiving 222 out of a possible 226 votes. Cobb is widely credited with setting 90 Major League Baseball records during his career. He still holds several records as of 2011, including the highest career batting average (.366 or .367, depending on source) and most career batting titles with 11 (or 12, depending on source). He retained many other records for almost a half century or more, including most career hits until 1985 (4,189 or 4,191, depending on source), most career runs (2,245 or 2,246 depending on source) until 2001,[12] most career games played (3,035) and at bats (11,429 or 11,434 depending on source) until 1974, and the modern record for most career stolen bases (892) until 1977. He committed 271 errors in his career, the most by any American League outfielder."

Another one, why haven't any of the steroid cheats surpassed Ted Williams' .406 batting average from 1941?

Yeah, another one, why haven't any of the steroid cheats been able to win the Triple Crown since Carl Yastrzemski last did it in 1967?

You're right, I don't like Barry Bonds holding records after cheating with steroids. Yeah, they were all doing it. However, I say throw all of their records out. Reduce them all to footnotes in the Hall of Fame. I think that Barry, the cheat, might also soon become known as Barry, the liar under oath. People like this do NOT deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Image ..... Image ..... Image.....Image

p.s. I'll give you this. Bonds might have been able to do it without steroids. However, he didn't. I actually feel somewhat sorry for the man.

Last edited by Cloudy on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hate responding to really long posts...

The fact that nobody has won the Triple Crown since 1967 has more to do with expansion than anything else! It's hard to lead a league in all three Triple Crown categories in a 12-, 14-, or 16-team league. Of all Triple Crown winners, only Carl Yastrzemski and Frank Robinson even did it in a ten-team league; every other winner was in a league with eight teams.

This is hardly a steroids issue!

-- RWM

Post subject: Yep, it wasn't a steroids issue...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Hate responding to really long posts...

The fact that nobody has won the Triple Crown since 1967 has more to do with expansion than anything else! It's hard to lead a league in all three Triple Crown categories in a 12-, 14-, or 16-team league. Of all Triple Crown winners, only Carl Yastrzemski and Frank Robinson even did it in a ten-team league; every other winner was in a league with eight teams.

This is hardly a steroids issue!

-- RWM

Yep, it wasn't a steroids issue. I was replying to your comment, "It is pointless to compare players from different eras..." I was trying to point out that some of the players from earlier baseball eras compare pretty well with players from the current era.

p.s. You know a lot of baseball facts. I think you are either an aficionado or a sports writer. :D

p.p.s. My throwing "steroids" in there, to refer to the current baseball era was snotty and rude. Please accept my apology. :oops:

Post subject: They belong in the Hall of Fame...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

They belong in the Hall of Fame...

.................... Image .................... Image

Shoeless Joe Jackson and Pete Rose belong in the Hall of Fame.

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Particularly Joe Jackson.
He was banned for life.
He is dead.
Hello eligibility.

Post subject: Joe probably knew, but...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Particularly Joe Jackson.
He was banned for life.
He is dead.
Hello eligibility.

Joe probably knew, but I doubt he participated in the Black Sox fix.

http://www.shoelessjoejackson.org/joes_story.php

"Whether Joe Jackson really helped fix the 1919 World Series has remained a point of dispute for eighty-nine years. Joe played flawless baseball, hitting .375 for the Series, the highest on either team. He had twelve hits (a tie for the World Series record at the time); six RBIs and no errors in eight games. He accounted for eleven of twenty runs by the Sox; and he hit the only home run in the Series!"

These stats should make it pretty clear that Shoeless Joe took NO part in the scandal. Plus he's got an honest face.

p.s. I love your "He was banned for life. He is dead. Hello eligibility." comment. Yet, another great SPOTES quote, that I will steal and use for my own. :lol:

Post subject: Yesterday and today in baseball...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yesterday and today in baseball...

I have a problem with those, who would relagate great baseball players and their achievements in days gone by, to something that is interesting, but not up to what we have today. Yeah, now they are all either old or dead. However, if they if they were young and alive today, I think many could still hold their own. The speed, strength, reaction time, etc. of baseball players today are no better than what those, who preceded them, also had. That is unless you believe in some evolutionary leap in the human race in the last 100 years.

Put a young Bob Feller on the mound again today, and he will win the Cy Young Award.

Image ....................Image

p.s. I got to meet Bob Feller. He was a wonderful person. Bob told me that no pitcher ever threw the ball faster than he did, and I believe him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next