New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Happy Thanksgiving
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:28 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Possessed of a long and fickle memory, which permits me to recall every sin I ever committed, and more sins beside, I have a confession to make. I'm neither Jewish nor Catholic. And my memory sucks. So the one, individual sin, some venial failure, perhaps only a slighted acknowledgement of sensible virtue, acquires legs - black, long, and hairy - which then migrate, spider-like, into ethical realms inaccessible to rational analysis. At which point I can recall, with perfect clarity, sins which I could not possibly have committed.

But where was I?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. To those of you who contribute to these pages and to those who merely find them amusing.

I always complain that Showdown isn't as high-brow as it should be. Apropos of Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph Schelling, it would be a mistake to pig out at Thanksgiving.

Man ist was er isst. You are what you eat? Let moderation rule. I have myself, many times, re-awakened from a Thanksgiving dinner in late afternoon, and having returned to sentience plucking feathers from my own skin, only then discovered the Dallas Cowboys on TV, or as often their opponents, similarly engaged, plucking off their own feathers in rage and humiliation. Would this be the wrong time for me to boast of my superior breast meat?

I don't know why I associate that pun with Schelling. You are what you eat? Schelling was post-Kantian, and the phrase must have been ages old before Schelling arrived, at the beginning of the 19th Century.

Good pluck to the Cowboys and their opponents this Thanksgiving (no injuries, please). Best wishes to you, Scaratings members and visitors alike, your friends, and your families, and to anyone else this message may prayerfully reach.

Yours from Mouse Hollow

Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Happy Thanksgiving from some of my family & friends... :roll: 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I would like to echo GONE D's sentiments here: thanks to everyone here and in the larger Buzztime Community who have made participating in trivia so much fun for me over the years. Special thanks to everyone here for allowing me to interact with people from all over the continent, and to especially SCAR and DANTE who made this site possible.

GONE D wrote:
Man ist was er isst.

Slight correction: On Thanksgiving Day, it is usually "Man ist was er frisst." ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:16 pm 
Centenarian

Yes indeed,Happy Thanksgiving everyone.We should be very thankful for what we have, not what we do not have.We should be so thankful for the many things in life that do not cost money.Yes,let's be thankful for buzztime trivia.Very few countries have it.It has made many of us happy and many hours of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 pm 
Lotsa Posta

My gratitude to ICEMAN for posting his family photograph.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Happy Thanksgiving to all, including those who are Gone and those who have family in Beverly Hills and Hooterville. Long commute there.

Enjoy the night, Go Redskins, and back to trivia Friday night.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!