New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fitzpatrick to Fitzpatrick
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:49 am 
Lotsa Posta

Where I grew up, in Minnetonka, Minnesota, we took our baseball pretty seriously. My Little League team sometimes played at Bennett Field, which had a two story clubhouse behind home plate. A high school student would sit upstairs with a PA system and call the action. It happened that both pitchers on my team were named David Jensen, which would sometimes result in the following:

"Now pitching for David Jensen, David Jen...Oh, never mind."

My old pal from Oberlin, Moshe Silver, decided to look me up twenty years after the fact. From NYC he called every one of the 37 David C Jensens in the Minneapolis phone directory and came up empty. I'd moved to Saint Paul.

These memories came back to me this morning when I read the line score from last night's Monday Night Football. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw two interceptions, both of them to Fitzpatrick. Now Ryan Fitzpatrick is a notoriously mercurial quarterback, there's a good Ryan and a bad Ryan, but I couldn't figure out how even he would be able to pull off such a stunt. Of course he had some help, courtesy of opposing safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, who hauled down both errant tosses. Which got me to wondering: has any other QB in NFL history had thrown multiple interceptions, in a single game, to a defender with his own surname?

I didn't watch the game, and this is a factoid which might have been dredged up by ESPN research for the benefit of the play-by-play announcers. In which case, satisfying my curiosity should be easy.

Nor could I remember the name of Bennett Field, but a quick search of Google Maps shows that it's still there, fifty-five years since I last took the mound.

Last edited by GONE D on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fitzpatrick to Fitzpatrick
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:21 am 
Lotsa Posta

We were watching last night while playing live trivia and remarked on the coincidence.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:20 pm 
Centenarian

Minkah Fitzpatrick was a teammate earlier of Ryan Fitzpatrick.Ryan Fitzpatrick now has started for 8 NFL teams an NFL record.Dan Marino certainly did not look very happy in booth watching the dreadful meltdown by the Dolphins.The 1972 undefeated Miami Dolphin team must wait for two more teams San Fransisco and New England to lose before they can pop champagne bottles keeping their unbeaten team in super bowl era as only unbeaten team.Wonder if they will also do this if this sorry Dolphin team this year wins a game.Miami Dolphins have been on Monday night football more than any team.Where are the players to replace Marino,Clayton,Duper Csonka,Scott,Buoniconti,Langer,Little,Griese,etc.Pittsburgh has won 17 straight Monday night football games at home which includes all 10 at Heinz Field.

Last edited by Bugg on Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:22 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Oddly enough, when I originally conceived of this question, Fitzpatrick to Fitzpatrick, I intended to post it in an email only to MERKIN and BUGG. Only later did I think to cast a wider net. Probably best that I did: both of them have responded on New Scaratings, but neither of them has the answer at his fingertips.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:31 pm 
Centenarian

Novemvber 28,1974 Levi Johnson Detroit Lions intercepted Charley Johnson of Denver Broncos twice .Minkah Fitzpatrick's 2 interceptions first time in Superbowl era were first time 2 interceptions made against his former team in one game in same season that he played for earlier in season.

Here is a question no one has been able to tell me that I am curious about-In the modern NHL when they had the blue and redline has there ever been a 20 minute period with no stoppages?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:28 am 
Lotsa Posta

Thanks Gordie. I wish I could help you out with your NHL question, but it's tough and I can't. No goals, no penalties, no pucks over the boards...

What are the chances? And in an era of relatively advanced statistics, are pucks leaving the ice even counted yet?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:34 pm 
Nonagenarian

Bugg wrote:
Here is a question no one has been able to tell me that I am curious about-In the modern NHL when they had the blue and redline has there ever been a 20 minute period with no stoppages?

The longest I'm aware of was in 2014 between the Caps/Pens...went 13:45 without a whistle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:57 pm 
Centenarian

Thank you Brutus for the information.Wow,that is a long time,only 6 minutes 15 seconds away from a whole period without a whistle.