New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: All the people in the world could fit into Texas...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
This is hard to believe, but if Michael Medved is correct, the world's population could fit into Texas, and actually not be all that crowded...

If my guesstimate is correct, that would make Texas about as crowded as New York City. And a very hot state would undoubtedly be quite a bit hotter, as Texas would become one humongous urban heat island. So I think it sounds absolutely unbearable, and I'd take the "global national park" that Connecticut would then be a part of. But then, I like the thought of what my home state would be like without crowds and traffic congestion. :)

-- RWM

Post subject: I doubt it will ever happen...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:59 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
This is hard to believe, but if Michael Medved is correct, the world's population could fit into Texas, and actually not be all that crowded...

If my guesstimate is correct, that would make Texas about as crowded as New York City. And a very hot state would undoubtedly be quite a bit hotter, as Texas would become one humongous urban heat island. So I think it sounds absolutely unbearable, and I'd take the "global national park" that Connecticut would then be a part of. But then, I like the thought of what my home state would be like without crowds and traffic congestion. :)

-- RWM

ZOG, I doubt it will ever happen, and I don't think it is anything we need worry about. If all of those people didn't learn English, can you imagine how long the instruction manuals that come with things you buy would be? How could USCIS ever keep track of all of these people? Worse yet, when you called customer help for something, how about having to listen to 6,900 choices waiting for English to come up? :lol:

I don't think everybody in New York City has a quarter of an acre to live on all to themselves and families. (NYC went up, not out.) I never lived in a house, with my slightly over 4 1/2 person family, that had a quarter acre all to ourselves. A quarter of an acre sounds pretty roomy to me. :lol:

p.s. So you are a Nutmegger... I was born in Connecticut, visited relatives there, vacationed there, went to college there (for a brief time), and have many, many fond memories of the state. As far as state parks go, I explored the Cockaponset State Park with my dad and my brother, Bob, many times.

Post subject: I doubt it will ever happen...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:59 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

-- RWM

ZOG, I doubt it will ever happen, and I don't think it is anything we need worry about. If all of those people didn't learn English, can you imagine how long the instruction manuals that come with things you buy would be? How could USCIS ever keep track of all of these people? Worse yet, when you called customer help for something, how about having to listen to 6,900 choices waiting for English to come up? :lol:

I don't think everybody in New York City has a quarter of an acre to live on all to themselves and families. (NYC went up, not out.) I never lived in a house, with my slightly over 4 1/2 person family, that had a quarter acre all to ourselves. A quarter of an acre sounds pretty roomy to me. :lol:

p.s. So you are a Nutmegger... I was born in Connecticut, visited relatives there, vacationed there, went to college there (for a brief time), and have many, many fond memories of the state. As far as state parks go, I explored the Cockaponset State Park with my dad and my brother, Bob, many times.

Post subject: Re: All the people in the world could fit into Texas...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:08 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
This is hard to believe, but if Michael Medved is correct, the world's population could fit into Texas, and actually not be all that crowded.

....................................................................................... Image

"Yep, that's true. The entire population of the World would fit into the State of Texas. Assuming an average family of 4 1/2 people, each family could have a quarter of an acre to themselves. This should make environmentalists very happy, because the rest of the planet could be turned into one big national park."

p.s. I couldn't find any audio of it on Google, so the above quote is only a close paraphrasal. If you are skeptical, send him an e-mail. I wouldn't be surprised if he answered you, or if your e-mail is REALLY SKEPTICAL , he might even read it on the air.

Here's the link to his official website:

http://www.michaelmedved.com/

It would probably help the Longhorns recruiting efforts.

Post subject: Re: Chip the Bartender
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:29 am 
Air Jordan

Cloudy, did you ever find Chip the Bartender again?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It may help the Longhorn's recruiting prospects but it would take a month to drive to campus. ;)

-- RWM

Post subject: Nope...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

dexter wrote:
Cloudy, did you ever find Chip the Bartender again?

Nope, I haven't found him yet. Chip was a bartender at Buffalo Wild Wings in Cicero, NY. (Just outside of Syracuse.) It's been several years since I last saw him. After he left, I met his girlfriend one time, who told me that he was teaching at some exclusive private school near or in New York City. He was very intelligent, friendly, wise, and knew how to get new customers to play NTN trivia. Next time I make it back up to Syracuse, I'll give my e-mail address to the manager, and ask him to pass it along to Chip, because he has become a modern myth on the "ScaRatings".

p.s. Actually, Chip is not responsible for this goofy thread that bears his name, and accepts all kinds of posts about silly things. My original "Chip the Bartender" thread on the Buzztime site was hijacked by goofy guys, who took the thread over, after my "Threads that Unravel in All Directions" thread was unfairly killed by the lawyers on the old "Buzztime" site, because it referenced another very nasty thread that caused their lawyers concern. I'm still angry that all of those funny, silly, and creative posts, that ran to over 30 pages by dozens and dozens of good people, were flushed down the toilet for no good reason, because NTN's lawyers panicked, and deleted everything and anything that might be a concern, without looking at it. I would call that being lazy on the part of NTN's lawyers, who didn't give a shit about all of the good people, who spent considerable time on their posts. There might have been three posts on the last page of "Threads that Unravel in All Directions" thread that might have been of some small concern, that could easily been deleted without wiping the entire thread. I will be angry about this to my dying day, and have sold the 4,000 shares of NTN that I once owned.

p.p.s. My "Threads that Unravel in All Directions" thread was also hijacked by the same goofy guys. However, I love them, because they made things fun. :D

p.p.p.s. Sadly, there is no way I can check this out, but I'm thinking that the "Threads that Unravel in All Directions" thread, might actually grown to over 300 pages instead of the 30 that I mentioned earlier. Does, anyone remember...?

Last edited by Cloudy on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Nope...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
p.p.s. My "Threads that Unravel in All Directions" thread was also hijacked by the same goofy guys. However, I love them, because they made things fun. :D

I'm having trouble philosophically with the concept of a thread entitled "Threads that Unravel in All Directions" being "hijacked"... :mrgreen:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect the lion's share of my posts lost to the mists of antiquity on that thread were inherently goofy nonsense. It's how I roll...

Post subject: It began as a simple post...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

I'm having trouble philosophically with the concept of a thread entitled "Threads that Unravel in All Directions" being "hijacked"... :mrgreen:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect the lion's share of my posts lost to the mists of antiquity on that thread were inherently goofy nonsense. It's how I roll...

It began as a simple thread, that said that those, who post to threads, should attempt to stay on topic, and not go off on their own tangents. The first response to my initial post immediately took off to something totally off topic on purpose, which was followed by many more that wandered all over the place. I thought that this was kind of fun, gave up on my message, and joined the fray. The rest is history. :D

Post subject: Yeah, but where would they find a place to play football...?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
It may help the Longhorn's recruiting prospects but it would take a month to drive to campus. ;)

-- RWM

Yeah, but where would they find a place to play football...?

Post subject: Re: It began as a simple post...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Cloudy wrote:

It began as a simple thread, that said that those, who post to threads, should attempt to stay on topic, and not go off on their own tangents. The first response to my initial post immediately took off to something totally off topic on purpose, which was followed by many more that wandered all over the place... :D

Don't look at me... I know nothing!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=8105U1WY9ro

Post subject: Ah, your post reminds me of what I used to read...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

It began as a simple thread, that said that those, who post to threads, should attempt to stay on topic, and not go off on their own tangents. The first response to my initial post immediately took off to something totally off topic on purpose, which was followed by many more that wandered all over the place... :D

Don't look at me... I know nothing!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=8105U1WY9ro

Ah, your post reminds me of what I used to read on the old Buzztime thread, "Threads that Unravel in All Directions". I'm trying to remember, but I think YOU may have been one of those hooligans, who hijacked the thread all of those years ago. If so, THANK YOU...!

I'm thinking that you were. Come on and fess up... :lol:

p.s. Isn't that where you posted the picture of the CH-46 helicopter that crash landed on the beach?

Post subject: Re: Nope...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:08 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
I will be angry about this to my dying day, and have sold the 4,000 shares of NTN that I once owned.

Too bad you didn't own 8000 shares... I'll bet you would've rather been able to buy a 20oz good beer than just a 12oz Busch Light.

Post subject: I was speculating that NTN might become...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tolle wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
I will be angry about this to my dying day, and have sold the 4,000 shares of NTN that I once owned.

Too bad you didn't own 8000 shares... I'll bet you would've rather been able to buy a 20oz good beer than just a 12oz Busch Light.

I was speculating that NTN might become a takeover target.

Actually, Buffalo Wild things should consider buying out NTN. It would probably cost them less to do that, than what they spend every year with NTN to keep Buzztime in all of their restaurant/bars. :D :D :D (Before some smart guy bothers wasting a lot of his time to explain to me in detail, that I am wrong about this, I'M JOKING...)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

IT WAS 75 YEARS AGO TODAY...

"Wrong Way" Corrigan

Post subject: Thanks for the link, ICEMAN...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
IT WAS 75 YEARS AGO TODAY...

"Wrong Way" Corrigan

Thanks for the link, ICEMAN. I always thought that Wrong Way Corrigan was bullshitting everyone, when he claimed to have flown about 3,000 miles in the wrong direction, by mistake.

Post subject: Real or Hoax...?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's a link to the most amazing bit of footage of an incredible aviation feat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90vnB6gUME

I'll tell ya that I would have bought the farm, if that happened to me. However, there are some extremely gifted aviators, who can do things with aircraft that seem almost magical.

Do you think the pilot in the video actually pulled this off, or do you think it is a hoax...?

Post subject: Hoax...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It's a hoax...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I89EMDZ0dsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naSZBdJoEbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5uVaG9k6kw

I'm surprised that no one figured this out.

Post subject: Left a message for Chip...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yesterday, I made it up to the Buffalo Wild Wings in Cicero, NY. Talked to the manager there, who knows Chip, and she is going to contact him about getting back to me for an update on what he's up to these days. I'm hoping to be able to get him to post something on the "ScaRatings".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

IT WAS 44 YEARS AGO TODAY... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock
Where were you during the three days of peace, love & music?

Post subject: I was in the United States Marine Corps...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
IT WAS 44 YEARS AGO TODAY... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock

I was in the United States Marine Corps at NAS Saufley Field outside of Pensacola, learning how to fly the T-34 Mentor.

................................................... Image

Hell, I was getting ready to go to war, not some three-day, pot smoking, hippie peace party.

p.s. For you hippie peaceniks, this aircraft was a Navy trainer, and never killed anyone other than student pilots, who sadly sometimes bought the farm. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:15 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:

I was but a wee lad of 10 years. Most likely I was challenging my buddies at a heated match of wiffle ball & afterwards soaking myself in the pool.
And then again I prolly was practicing my half gainer off the board or jumping off the neighbors roof into the deep end. 8-)
Well okay, maybe I was a few years older for that last stuff.
:mrgreen:

Last edited by THE ICEMAN on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

IT WAS 36 YEARS AGO TODAY... http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0816.html

(of course BO knows this)

Post subject: The day that Elvis died...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
IT WAS 36 YEARS AGO TODAY... http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0816.html

(of course BO knows this)

I was living in Louisville when Elvis died. I was saddened when I heard the news. However, I am ashamed to admit that my first thought was "Damn, I should have forked over the bucks, and gone to his concert at Freedom Hall in 1976.", just a year before his death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kjFQs6Sz7k

Post subject: California forest fire endangers giant sequoias...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

................. Image

....... (The people in this photograph are all now long since dead, but the giant sequoia is still there.)

It's on the news non-stop these days. A California forest fire is endangering the giant sequoias. Forest fire fighters have been sent on special missions to try to save them.

However, this may be an environmental crisis (as it applies to the giant sequoias) that we really don't need to worry about.

How could Cloudy be so insensitive to the threat to these magnificent trees that so many in the media are going hysterical about...?

Here's how:

The giant sequoia tree bark has a natural fire retardant, and the bark can be as much as two to four feet thick. Many of these trees that you see growing in California forests have been there for hundreds and hundreds of years. The oldest one is estimated to be 3,500 years old. Many stand close to or over 300 feet tall, and the diameter of the base of their trunks can be over 100 feet.

It seems to me that over the thousands of years that these trees have been growing in California, that they must have survived a couple of forest fires over the ages, all on their own, without any human intervention.

I'm thinking that the hysteria created by the media about the possibility that the giant sequoias might be wiped out by this forest fire is complete nonsense. The media is only talking about this on their nightly news shows to increase their ratings. I also think that it is a terrible mistake to send firefighters to risk their lives to save trees that have lived through countless forest fires on their own for thousands of years.

p.s. I understand that this forest fire is a disaster that is effecting other things, and I do think that fighting forest fires that threaten people's homes, or other things important to human beings, is something that needs to be done. However, I don't believe that the giant sequoias are something we need to worry about.

......... "Thank you for your concern, but we're pretty good about taking care of ourselves."

(I wonder how much trouble this post will get me in.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next