New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: The Gasoline Powered Alarm Clock...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Anyone bought a gasoline powered alarm clock yet...?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Apparently, it’s a piece of cake to get Energy Star-certified — just ask the Congressional auditors who received approval for a number of ridiculous fake products, including a gasoline-powered alarm clock and an air purifier consisting of a space heater with a feather duster on top. Other fake products, including a dehumidifier, dishwasher, and computer monitor, were accepted into the program with no questions asked about fake qualifications (i.e. energy efficiency data).

Does this mean we should question all Energy Star labels? No — most companies aren’t in the business of submitting fake products to the Energy Star program — but the auditing process does indicate that Energy Star officials accept qualifications without doing background research. The New York Times noted that the “ease with which the auditors had fooled the program suggested that consumers and agencies that rely on the logo were paying extra for products that might not actually save energy“.

Fortunately, Energy Star isn’t the only green certification program available. The Energy Department recently agreed to set up a system of independent verification for products, starting with refrigerators, freezers, clothes washers, dishwashers, water heaters and air-conditioners. Gasoline-powered alarm clocks need not apply."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think this is one more example of the federal government's ineptitude. I also think this yet another reason for Americans to be concerened about the federal government moving to take more control of our daily lives.

If Toyota had done something as ridiculous as this, they would be ordered to show up for congressional hearings.

Sorry, gotta go... Need to run out to the garage and get some more gas for my alarm clock.

Last edited by Cloudy on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Chip the Bartender
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Cloudy finds himself in dire trouble. His business has gone into foreclosure and he's in serious financial problems. He's so desperate that he decides to ask God for help. "God, please help me. Ah've lost ma wee store and if Ah dinna get some money, Ah'm going to lose my hoose too. Please let me win the lottery!"

Lottery night! Someone else wins... Cloudy prays again. "God, please let me win the lottery! Ah've lost my wee store, ma hoose and Ah'm going to lose ma car as weel!"

Lottery night again! Still no luck... Cloudy prays again.

"Ah've lost ma business, ma hoose and ma car. Ma bairns are starving. Ah dinna often ask Ye for help and Ah have always been a good servant to Ye. PLEASE just let me win the lottery this one time so Ah can get back on ma feet!"

Suddenly there is a blinding flash as the heavens open and the voice of God Himself thunders:
"Cloudy at least meet Me half way and buy a ticket!"

How did you know...? You are soooo right...!

p.s. Guys, don't bother to buy a "Power Ball" ticket this week. I've got one in my wallet, as I type. Got a feeling it's going to be the big winner. If it is, I'll take care of all the "ScaRatings" people that I like. (Within reason, as I see it.)

Post subject: Re: The Gasoline Powered Alarm Clock...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

[quote="Cloudy"]Anyone bought a gasoline powered alarm clock yet...?

I have a nuclear powered alarm clock. I think it is green and energy efecient.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Post subject: Re: The Gasoline Powered Alarm Clock...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:42 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Ultimately everything is nuclear powered. Everythihng that gives us energy can trace itself back to the sun in one way or another. (The sun is but a gigantic nuclear reactor, that doesn't need MIT graduates to control.) Even wind power derives it's energy from the sun.

Post subject: UFOs...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I am an expert on UFOs. I have read 134 books on them and closely related subjects. (Watched a few video documentaries too.) From the very beginning I wanted them to be real. However, after reading all of those books, I have come to the conclusion that the planet Earth has never been visited by intelligent life from outer space, nor will it ever be.

Yes, Walter Sullivan was right... "We are Not Alone". There are most certainly millions, trillions, gazillions, and more of other intelligent civilizations scattered across the Universe However, because of the tremendous distances involved and the time factor, there is no logical way they could ever visit the Earth. (There are more reasons why alien visitation is highly unlikely.)

To make the case for extraterrestrial folks visiting us, one must conjure up magic, or far out science fiction. I believe that we Earthlings are very much alone, when it comes to ever meeting or communicating with the other intelligent life that must exist out there somewhere in the universe.

Post subject: Re: UFOs...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:08 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Cloudy wrote:
I am an expert on UFOs. I have read 134 books on them and closely related subjects. (Watched a few video documentaries too.) From the very beginning I wanted them to be real. However, after reading all of those books, I have come to the conclusion that the planet Earth has never been visited by intelligent life from outer space, nor will it ever be.

Yes, Walter Sullivan was right... "We are Not Alone". There are most certainly millions, trillions, gazillions, and more of other intelligent civilizations scattered across the Universe However, because of the tremendous distances involved and the time factor, there is no logical way they could ever visit the Earth. (There are more reasons why alien visitation is highly unlikely.)

To make the case for extraterrestrial folks visiting us, one must conjure up magic, or far out science fiction. I believe that we Earthlings are very much alone, when it comes to ever meeting or communicating with the other intelligent life that must exist out there somewhere in the universe.

the best way to determine if Earth has ever been visited by others is to look for foreign patterns and such within our own D.N.A.

Post subject: Re: UFOs...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Attachment:
ssp_temp_capture.jpg
ssp_temp_capture.jpg [ 27.06 KiB | Viewed 796 times ]

Last edited by THE ICEMAN on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Liberals, by definition, must have open minds...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:56 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Liberals, by definition, must have open minds...

Let your open minds go to and read this. It might open your eyes...

http://www.bookwormroom.com/2010/04/20/ ... -svengali/

Ordinary people view Rush as a dangerous Svengali *UPDATED*
Bookworm on Apr 20 2010 at 2:30 pm | Filed under: Media matters

(Didn't copy and paste the whole thing. Just go to the link. It really isn't all that long.)

Post subject: Re: Liberals, by definition, must have open minds...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:20 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:

(Didn't copy and paste the whole thing. Just go to the link. It really isn't all that long.)

Cloudy are you inviting a diatribe from MrAle?

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Excellent choice of words Frank.

Post subject: Re: Liberals, by definition, must have open minds...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:27 am 

Cloudy wrote:

FWIW I opened my mind and read the link. It was bullshit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:31 am 
Banned

As for me, I've got no time to respond. I've got to work on my medical plan!

http://lowdenplan.com/

Just when you think rightwingers couldn't get any stupider.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mr_ale wrote:

Why bother? Do nothing and I will pay for it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:24 am 
Banned

lewser wrote:
mr_ale wrote:

It's ok, I've got the chickens!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:05 pm 

It's been a while since I've been in a political argument with any substance, but a couple of unrelated things I've heard Tea Party people talk about over the last few weeks got me to thinking about some stuff, and I finally decided to do a little research and start a fight in the "Chip the Bartender" thread for old times' sake and in memory of CAVMAN.

One fact I heard that had a lot of my wing-nut buddies all het up was that a trillion-dollar stack of hundred-dollar bills would be 67,000-some miles high. Another thing I've been hearing, although it's not a fact as far as I know, is about the Social Security system being bankrupt. The two of them together bring up some interesting questions for pragmatists.

Conservative Chris Martenson's blog had a pretty typical treatment of the Social Security problem a couple years ago that had a photo of George W. Bush standing next to he Social Security trust fund. He (Chris) evidently doesn't want me to link directly to the photo but here is his article.

http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/soci ... ears/15944

And, from ssa.gov recently:

"The assets of the Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance Trust Funds represent the the accumulation over time of the difference between income and outgo. The growth of the assets from the end of December 1986 through the end of March 2010 is shown below by calendar quarter."

and

"Assets grew from about $47 billion at the end of December 1986 to about $2,539 billion ($2.5 trillion) by the end of March 2010."

The "bankruptcy" part comes in at the top right corner, I guess, where the "Income" line drops below the "Outgo" line for the first time.

The 2.5 terabucks in the Social Security trust fund is, of course, a liability for the Feds and an asset for citizens who receive or anticipate benefits, just as the paltry $800 billion dollars in U.S. Treasury securities held by our friends the Chinese Communists are an asset for them and a liability for the treasury and my bank account an asset for me and a liability for my bank, so I have no problem with calling the trust fund a bunch of IOUs. They have been racked up over the past 75 years to help pay for World War II, the interstate highway system, the Vietnam War, the space program, student loan programs, the Reagan arms buildup which brought down the Soviet Union, the Iraq and Afghan wars and a whole bunch of stuff that can be considered "investments" or "reckless spending" depending on ideology.

Anyway, my problem as a pragmatist is this:

What should the Feds have been doing with the trust fund for the last three quarters of a century? As my Tea Party friends point out, $2.5 trillion in a stack of hundred-dollar bills would reach about two-thirds of the way to the moon, depending on where you start stacking them, and it would be heavy enough that nobody could pull bills of the bottom, so I'm guessing someone would have to be posted up at the top of the stack to peel off bills to make Social Security payments.

A couple of my friends are Ron Paul "Gold Standard" fans who got me thinking about keeping the trust fund in gold. But from what I've been reading on the web there have only been about ten billion ounces of gold produced throughout human history and at current prices the trust fund would need about a quarter of that. Check my arithmetic but even if I'm off that doesn't seem very practical either.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Nuclear Alarm Clock disposal...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

A friend of mine had one of those nuclear powered alarm clocks also. It worked great for many years, but when it started to lose time, with no way to fix it, my friend sadly found out that he could not just throw it into the dumpster. If you get caught tossing one of those nuclear powered alarm clocks out in a way that the EPA does not approve of, you are in for horrendous fines. Disposing of it in an approved way is just about as costly. You are better off going on line and contacting some terrorist group, who will actually pay you to take it off of your hands.

Post subject: You need to expand on your DNA comment...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

stevej84 wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

the best way to determine if Earth has ever been visited by others is to look for foreign patterns and such within our own D.N.A.

You need to expand on your DNA comment. At this point I cannot argue one way or the other. One question I have is how can we possibly know about alien DNA. Hopefully, you will tell us more.

Post subject: Oh crap, I forgot about MrAle...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Cloudy are you inviting a diatribe from MrAle?

Oh crap, I forgot about MrAle... What the heck, I think we're all used to his diatribes. As liberal as he is, he must have an open mind, and reading the blog I directed you all to could only make him chuckle. (Perhaps at himself.)

p.s. I think I have said this before, I personally think Rush Limbaugh is primarily an entertainer, who often knows very little about what he is talking about. His satire and humor are to be respected, and he does bring up bits of news that you will never hear about from the "drive-by media".

I am definitely NOT a "Ditto Head".

Post subject: TommyK, it is so good to hear from you again...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tommyk wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

FWIW I opened my mind and read the link. It was bullshit.

TommyK, it is so good to hear from you again. I was worried that after "Buzztime" shut down their players' discussion boards that I might never be able to cross swords with you again.

Touche, I felt that slash that narrowly missed my vital organs. Even though I am bleeding, I must tip my hat to you. YOU READ IT...! Even though you view it as "bullshit", I think you must admit that it was well written and pretty God damn funny. (That would be as long as you did not take it personally.)

Post subject: You don't need to work on your medical plan...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mr_ale wrote:

Just when you think rightwingers couldn't get any stupider.

MrAle, you don't need to work on your medical plan. You are wasting your time. Obama and the boys are going to take care of it for you. This is wasted time that you could better use cutting me to shreds on this site.

Better hurry up. I have my own medical plan. That is to smoke and drink myself to death before Obama Care does it for me...

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Hell, we are all going to pay for it...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
mr_ale wrote:

Hell, we are all going to pay for it...

Well, maybe not all of us. I'm unemployed, have no income, and about to see if I can get by on social security. Wish me luck...

p.s. I do have VA medical coverage though.

Post subject: You do way too much research...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tommyk wrote:
It's been a while since I've been in a political argument with any substance, but a couple of unrelated things I've heard Tea Party people talk about over the last few weeks got me to thinking about some stuff, and I finally decided to do a little research and start a fight in the "Chip the Bartender" thread for old times' sake and in memory of CAVMAN.

One fact I heard that had a lot of my wing-nut buddies all het up was that a trillion-dollar stack of hundred-dollar bills would be 67,000-some miles high. Another thing I've been hearing, although it's not a fact as far as I know, is about the Social Security system being bankrupt. The two of them together bring up some interesting questions for pragmatists.

Conservative Chris Martenson's blog had a pretty typical treatment of the Social Security problem a couple years ago that had a photo of George W. Bush standing next to he Social Security trust fund. He (Chris) evidently doesn't want me to link directly to the photo but here is his article.

http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/soci ... ears/15944

And, from ssa.gov recently:

"The assets of the Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance Trust Funds represent the the accumulation over time of the difference between income and outgo. The growth of the assets from the end of December 1986 through the end of March 2010 is shown below by calendar quarter."

and

"Assets grew from about $47 billion at the end of December 1986 to about $2,539 billion ($2.5 trillion) by the end of March 2010."

The "bankruptcy" part comes in at the top right corner, I guess, where the "Income" line drops below the "Outgo" line for the first time.

The 2.5 terabucks in the Social Security trust fund is, of course, a liability for the Feds and an asset for citizens who receive or anticipate benefits, just as the paltry $800 billion dollars in U.S. Treasury securities held by our friends the Chinese Communists are an asset for them and a liability for the treasury and my bank account an asset for me and a liability for my bank, so I have no problem with calling the trust fund a bunch of IOUs. They have been racked up over the past 75 years to help pay for World War II, the interstate highway system, the Vietnam War, the space program, student loan programs, the Reagan arms buildup which brought down the Soviet Union, the Iraq and Afghan wars and a whole bunch of stuff that can be considered "investments" or "reckless spending" depending on ideology.

Anyway, my problem as a pragmatist is this:

What should the Feds have been doing with the trust fund for the last three quarters of a century? As my Tea Party friends point out, $2.5 trillion in a stack of hundred-dollar bills would reach about two-thirds of the way to the moon, depending on where you start stacking them, and it would be heavy enough that nobody could pull bills of the bottom, so I'm guessing someone would have to be posted up at the top of the stack to peel off bills to make Social Security payments.

A couple of my friends are Ron Paul "Gold Standard" fans who got me thinking about keeping the trust fund in gold. But from what I've been reading on the web there have only been about ten billion ounces of gold produced throughout human history and at current prices the trust fund would need about a quarter of that. Check my arithmetic but even if I'm off that doesn't seem very practical either.

Any suggestions?

TommyK, you do way too much research, graphs and all... Damn it, I think I told you before, just make logical things up the way I do. Very few will ever challenge you, and if some geek decides to spend hours Googling things to rebut you, then waste your time doing serious research. As smart as you are, your logical assertions will usually carry the day.

Post subject: Re: You don't need to work on your medical plan...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:23 am 
Banned

Cloudy wrote:
MrAle, you don't need to work on your medical plan. You are wasting your time. Obama and the boys are going to take care of it for you. This is wasted time that you could better use cutting me to shreads on this site.

Better hurry up. I have my own medical plan. That is to smoke and drink myself to death before Obama Care does it for me...

Um, you ARE being cut to shreds. You don't seem to know how to click on a link, otherwise you'd be aware of your shreddedness.

Can't be too harsh on you, though. At least your last vacuous 'attack' contained a link. You didn't have the courtesy to provide one in your gas-powered clock post. Baby steps. Maybe soon you can work up to the point you can do others the courtesy of clicking on their links, in the same way you expect them to click on yours.

Post subject: Just call me the "Shreddered Man"...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mr_ale wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
MrAle, you don't need to work on your medical plan. You are wasting your time. Obama and the boys are going to take care of it for you. This is wasted time that you could better use cutting me to shreads on this site.

Um, you ARE being cut to shreds. You don't seem to know how to click on a link, otherwise you'd be aware of your shreddedness.

Can't be too harsh on you, though. At least your last vacuous 'attack' contained a link. You didn't have the courtesy to provide one in your gas-powered clock post. Baby steps. Maybe soon you can work up to the point you can do others the courtesy of clicking on their links, in the same way you expect them to click on yours.

Sorry, I am trying to catch up with this thread. Admittedly, I do it fairly late at night after more than a few brewskis. Please accept my apologies. If I sober up tonight, I will do my best to go back and visit the links you guys have posted here that I have missed.

p.s. MrAle, I like it. It looks to me that you might be mellowing.

p.p.s As "vacuous" as my post that you are referring to probably was, it wasn't intended to be an "attack" on anyone.

Hell, forget about calling me the "Shreddered Man", just call me "Mr. Vacuous" from now on...

Post subject: A link that I have skipped over...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

A link that I have skipped over... (There may be more, but I'm doing the best I can trying to catch up with you guys.)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Lowden PlanA simple healthcare plan anyone witha few thousand live chickens can use.“Doctors are reasonable people”
Senate hopeful Sue Lowden’s plan for Healthcare reform is to barter chickens for medical procedures. But you may be unsure how many chickens are required for your medical care. This handy calculator converts many common procedures into chickens so you won’t look like an idiot at your next Doctor’s Appointment.

LOWDEN MEDICAL PROCEDURETO CHICKEN CONVERTERChoose Your Procedure
appendectomy annual checkup birth - normal birth - premature bypass surgery cancer - breast cancer - colon cancer - prostate car accident colonoscopy ekg er visit flu shot hip replacement mammogram mri ob/gyn visit repair aneurism tonsilectomyConvert
For Your Visit Please Bring
Counting!to your Doctor’s Office*

Products Supporting Your Lowden Medical PlanMedical SavingsaccountsPlan for the future and take your healthcare into your own hands. Live Chickens are 20 times more expensive than eggs.

SECURE YOUR FUTURE
just For PhysiciansYou’ll soon be inundated with chickens. Where do you keep them? How do you cook 950 chickens at once?

CHICKENPHENALIA

Catastrophicillness InsuranceLet’s be honest, it’s not realistic to take 10,000 chickens to pay for major surgery. But 30-40 head of cattle?

GET SOME COWS

Help us spread this crap around
This website is not authorized by any candidate, candidate’s committee or political party.

site by buzzbomb.it *This site makes no guarantees regarding the correct number of chickens for your procedure. Chicken count is an estimate only based on current market value of typical live chickens and average costs of medical procedures gathered from multiple sources. Your doctor may require more chickens than specified. For your convenience, we recommend bringing at least 20% more chickens than specified to any doctor's appointment. For that matter, you should have at least 1500 chickens per passenger in your car in the event of an accident, so you could just use those if you're a little short on chickens, but then be extra careful driving home from the doctor because you will have used up some of your accident chickens. Do not mail your medical chickens as payment. Please barter medical chickens in person. Chickens should be secured in your trunk or truckbed if possible. Any chickens riding in the passenger compartment on the way to the doctor must wear seat belts. Chickens should not drive you to the doctor, if you are unable to drive you should dial 911 for an ambulance. Ambulances may not accept chickens for payment, you should have at least 4 goats or an adult pig for such cases. Your healthcare provider may not accept chickens for payment, but many accept other livestock. The Chicken Calculator can not convert medical procedures to sheep, goats, pigs, ducks, cows, llamas, ostriches, etc. Check with your local livestock association for current exchange rates and providers.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This was a link from MrAle. (Thanks you gave us all a chuckle.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next