New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 850 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Guess I goofed up again...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
I think I might have goofed up, the first one I played was called "Galaxian" (1979). Later I played the sequel "Galalga" (1981). The games were so similar that it is difficult to find differences between them. Either way I loved them both.

There were worlds of difference between the two. Galaga was beatable, Galaxian was not. Complete stage 255, the next screen reads stage 0 and freezes. Galaxian was single shot while Galaga was double shot. No double ship possibility on Galaxian. No bonus stages.

Most importantly, the famous bug/trick in Galaga.

And don't forget the 3rd game in the trilogy, Gaplus, which I did not care for.

Guess I goofed up again... This shouldn't surprise you, but I never got to stage 255. Obviously, you have played both of these games far more than I ever did. After getting killed a couple of times, I usually moved on to another arcade game. However, if I ever find a place to play "Galagla" again, and can come up with some tokens, please explain how "the famous bug/trick" works.

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Guess I goofed up again...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:36 am 
Centenarian

Cloudy wrote:
please explain how "the famous bug/trick" works.

You kill all of the aliens except the two left-most bees. Dodge their fire for something like 15 minutes. Eventually they'll stop firing. Once this happens, you'll never be fired upon again.

Post subject: Re: Guess I goofed up again...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:33 am 
Himself Fodder

Noles wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
please explain how "the famous bug/trick" works.

You kill all of the aliens except the two left-most bees. Dodge their fire for something like 15 minutes. Eventually they'll stop firing. Once this happens, you'll never be fired upon again.

Actually you can leave just one bee, the timing varies anywhere from 8-20 minutes. The sucky thing is it doesn't work 100% of the time, so you can go through the sequence of waiting and waiting for nothing.

Post subject: WOW...!!! to both Noles and BO...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

WOW...!!! to both Noles and BO... :o

How in the world did you guys ever figure this out...? :shock: I am in awe of both of you. I guess one might say that I was never more than a pedestrian arcade game player, but I had fun. :D

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie, "The Last Starfighter" was based on one of you arcade super players.

Does this remind you guys of your glory days at the arcade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJRmY9VXf1g

Post subject: Anybody ever have "Game Genie"...?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Did any of you guys ever have the "Game Genie"? I got one for my son to improve game play on his Nintendo Entertainment System. I don't remember ever using it myself, but if what I just found out is true, I might try some of those old Nintendo games again. Supposedly, the "Game Genie" gave you special cheating powers.

Here's an explanation of what it did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Genie

Post subject: "Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel"
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel" (1992) was a great game back in the day. It had extremely good graphics and audio for games of that time. It would seem that the game is based on the Whitechapel murders. I have it on 3 1/2" floppies as well as a CD. Sadly, Windows 7 won't allow it to be installed. (I will give a shot at trying to load it to my Windows XP computer, when I get back up to Rome, NY.) If you enjoy solving mystery computer games, I highly recommend this game to you, if you can get it to install and play on your computer.

Image Image Image Image

Here's some video of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfkBDj_eha0

p.s. There was a sequel, "The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo" (1996), which I might comment on later.

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Computer Games New and Old
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:17 pm 
U > 100 * 2

The Last Starfighter was a great movie. They just don't make 'em like that anymore :-)

Post subject: Tiamat, I agree...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tiamat wrote:
The Last Starfighter was a great movie. They just don't make 'em like that anymore :-)

Tiamat, I agree with you. I really liked that movie too.

Post subject: Good news, Tiamat...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Good news, Tiamat, I believe there is a "The Last Starfighter", or at least a "Starfighter" computer game out there somewhere.

Image..........
Image ..... Image

I Googled it, and came up with some stuff. I have no recollection of these games, but I guess they existed. Here are links to what I found:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/01/26/r ... e-download

This is supposedly what this game played like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafnDoApzpY

This is another "Starfighter" game I stumbled across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYJhu-jycBU

I don't remember these games, and certainly never played them. If anyone ever has, I would like to hear your comments.

Post subject: "Mickey's Space Adventure"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Mickey's Space Adventure" (1984 or 1986 ?) was a Disney game, and even though it was made for kids, I liked it.

Image Image Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajqqtCaG2qo

Post subject: "Boa Constrictor"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I found the "Boa Constrictor" game, while Googling boa constrictor images for my post on the "Post Baseless Lies About the Person Above You..." thread.

Image Image Image Image

I never heard of this game before, let alone played it. I can't find any video of the game, and very little information on it. Does anyone else have any recollection of it? Somewhere I read that it was originally an Arcade game.

I believe that you can find it on the Internet to download.

Post subject: "Pipe Mania"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:20 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Pipe Mania" (1990) is a very obscure computer game. (I believe it was originally an arcade game.) I had the DOS version, and loaned it to my friend and plumber, Bruce Cohen, for his daughter to play. (He never returned it.) It involved hooking up different pipes to compete a water/sewer flow. If any of you have ever heard of, let alone played this very old game, I will be extremely surprised.

Here is some video of the game as I vaguely remember it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqzX6iW7qk

I believe that there were newer, improved versions of the game.

p.s. Though I never played this game very much, I have to think that what I learned from it all those years ago has been a help to me on many of the recent games I have played, that throw similar puzzles at you, as you work your way through them.

.......................................................................... Image

......................................................................................... Goodnight I'm going to bed.

Post subject: "Word Wonders: The Tower of Babel"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Word Wonders: The Tower of Babel" (2012) is a game that those, who think they are pretty good at "Scrabble" might want to try. It's a little tough, because the game really doesn't give you very good instructions as to what is going on, and you pretty much have to figure things out for yourself. "Scrabble" experience will be of help, but the game doesn't hold true to what would have been acceptable "Scrabble" words. Your evil opponents will come up with some words, that are NOT words you have ever heard of, but don't worry, because you are smarter than the computer baddies. There are several things that they don't know how to do, which you do. They have no idea how to lay down a series of letters that make several words up and down to double every letter's energy and kill power. They also don't know how to make two letter words. Two letter words are the key to beating the baddies. Experiment with creating two letter words, there is no penalty, if you are wrong, and you can try again, without losing your turn. (You will learn a lot of new ones that probably will never work in "Scrabble".) :lol:

There is considerable strategy involved in the game as to where you place your letters. How many energy and kill points each contains, how many coins you will pick up, and how many coins your word will leave vulnerable for the bad guys to jump on are things that have to be considered. Sometimes it's best to just put down a two letter word in a safe place, even if it doesn't do anything for you, but prevents your evil opponent from having a shot at anything, and forces him to give you an opportunity to use his word to get stuff you want.

("ORB" going down was a mistake in my opinion. I think "OR" going down, "OB" going across, and "BA" going down, would have been wiser. Yep, "OB" is one of their two letter words. You wouldn't be very happy, if the bad guy played "BRA" to the right off of the "B" in "ORB", and picked up the stack of coins, as well as a lot of other points. Yeah, he might not have been smart enough to figure it out, but "AR" and "KA" are two more of the game's two letter words. )

Long words sometimes make sense, but they often leave things open to your bad guy opponent that you don't want him to get.

After you have built up a lot of points, use them to buy as many vowel and consonant packages as you can. You will need them, when you take a shot at the strange crossword puzzle that will give you great powers, if you do well on it. (This is not a crossword puzzle with clues as to the words you need put down. It is a crossword grid with letters indicated that you have to place a letter your have on to make words. Run as far as you can on this, but nothing will count unless you place a word across the star that is on the grid.

Here is some video of the game on a level that I have not gotten to yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CXfrqS-igU

Hell, I know that very few, if any of you, listen to me, but you can pick this game up for a song, and you actually might have some fun playing it.

Last edited by Cloudy on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: EA loses big on Madden Football games lawsuit...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Image .............. Image

There have been a bunch of different Electronic Arts Madden football video games for all sorts of platforms over the years. If you ever bought one, you may have some money coming back from Electronic Arts. All you need to do is to come up with some kind of proof of purchase. (I'm worried that time might have run out on May 15, 2013, but check it out anyway.)

http://kotaku.com/the-madden-class-acti ... -473344725

For kicks here's some video of one of the old games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQX-g0FR-OE

Post subject: "Pogo Games: Trivial Pursuit"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Pogo Games" offers a very large selection of free on-line computer games that you can play. You might be interested in playing many of them, but I think that trivia nuts might like to give their "Trivial Pursuit" game a try.

Post subject: "Pogo.com: Trivial Pursuit"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Pogo.com offers a very large selection of free on-line computer games that you can play. You might be interested in playing many of them, but I think that trivia nuts might like to give Pogo's "Trivial Pursuit" game a try. My lady friend loves this game, and she's pretty darn good at it. I would have to think, that most of you will do well on the game also. Give the game a shot, and let us know how you did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vEeR03YgZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRMEo8viT4

Last edited by Cloudy on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: "King's Quest" series...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImage

The "King's Quest" series of computer games are classics. Sadly, I have only played part of one of them, because they don't run well on my Windows 7 operating system.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Quest

Here is a lengthy video of "King's Quest I" game play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0TLhR51uGY

Here's some video of "King's Quest VI" game play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5m4vWRnkKA

Even though I've only played part of one of them, I can tell that these are my type of games. I love computer games that involve adventure, searching for things, and problem solving. Have any of you ever played any of these games?

p.s. "Peasant's Quest" on the Home Star Runner website is an on-line game that spoofs the early "King's Quest" games, and is a lot of fun.

Here's a link to it. Go ahead and play it. It's free.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/disk4of12.html

Post subject: "Fiction Fixers: Adventures in Wonderland"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Image Image Image

"On Hand Software" has a series of "Legends" games. Their CD's have several games on them, and don't cost too much. Some of the games aren't all that good, but many are. I recently bought their "Legends of the Forgotten" (2012) that has six games on it. Yes, they are hidden object games for the most part. However, "Fiction Fixers: Adventures in Wonderland" (2010) is a darn good game, and I recommend it. What makes this game a Cloudy recommendation is that the hidden object scenes are spread out, a little challenging, but fair, and don't dominate the game. The best thing about the game is that the puzzles and mini-games that you need to solve are perhaps the most diverse of any similar game I have ever played, and besides from being different from each other, they are a lot of fun. (I think that the puzzle game I liked best was the one where you had to get three cats and three mice across a river on a raft that could only carry two at a time, and not allow the cats gobble up the mice.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg4FrhHExtw

p.s. Even though it looks like a sissy game, don't be a sissy, go ahead and play it like a man... :lol:

.................... Image

....................................................... "I played Fiction Fixers: Adventures in Wonderland, and it ain't no sissy game...!"

(Belated edit: This game has now been swallowed up by "Big Fish Games", so I would view that as a confirmation of my recommendation of the game.)

Last edited by Cloudy on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Old DOS games site...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:59 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here's a site that will let you play old DOS games:

http://www.classicdosgames.com/index.html

Post subject: I'm gonna start a list of "Legends" games...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm gonna start a list of the "On Hand Software Legends" games that I have, because I think they are just about as good as the "Big Fish" games. Each of the "Legends" CD's have more than one game on them.

"Eternal Legends" (15 games)
"Imortal Legends" (15 games)
"Legends 2: Hidden Relics" (3 games)
"Legends in Time" (3 games)
"Legends of the Cursed" (6 games)
"Legends of Darkeness" (6 games)
"Legends of Deceit" (6 games)
"Legends of Destiny" (4 games)
"Legends of Dreams" (3 games)
"Legends of Eternity" (6 games)
"Legends of the Forgotten" (6 games)
"Legends of the Hunted" (6 games)
"Legends of the Illusion" (6 games)
"Legends of the Lost" (3 games)
"Legends of Lost Relics" (6 games)
"Legends of the Mist" (6 games)
"Legends of Mystery" (6 games)
"Legends of the Nightfall" (6 games)
"Legends of the Shadows" (3 games)
"Legends of Silence" (6 games)
"Legends of the Spirits" (6 games)
"Legends of Solitude" (6 games)
"Legends of the Wanderer" (6 games)
"Timeless Legends" (10 games)

There will be more, and I will add them as buy them, or run across some that I have missed.

(Belated edit: The titles of these multi-game "Legends" cd's have little or nothing to do with the games that are on them. Additionally, probably all of the games on the CD's involve hidden object puzzle scenes to varying extents. Some of the games are pretty darn good, and some ain't, but getting a bunch of games for just $9.98 on one CD at Walmart is a pretty good deal.) :D

Last edited by Cloudy on Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: A sad day for computer game players...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

A sad day for computer game players. Nintendo's Hiroshi Yamauchi has died. He was the man who made Nintendo the gaint computer gaming company that it is today.

Post subject: "Wolfenstein 3D: Return to Castle Wolfenstein"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Wolfenstein 3D: Return to Castle Wolfenstein" (2001) is a first person shooter game that isn't all that bad seeing how old it is. I found it in a box that has been sitting around the house for years, and decided to see if it would install on Windows 7. It DID, and plays well...! :D I'm sure that it isn't up to the standards of new first person shooter games, but it's pretty darn good just the same. Best of all, you can get killed in this game. :lol: It's not another one of those sissy games that I am forever tossing up on this thread. I recommend it to all of you macho computer game players, who enjoy a good fight, and don't mind having to start over again, when it tells you, "Your mission has failed."

Im sure you can pick it up on the Internet for a couple bucks these days, and if you get the same version I did, it comes with a second multiple player game, as well as the bonus game, "Spear of Destiny", and demos of two other games. I say spend a few bucks and pick this game up, I think it will provide you with hours, if not days, weeks, or even months of fun trying to complete your mission.

Here's the introduction to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8xBGLEobRY

Here's some video of early game play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-Rs5CcysE

p.s. This is an extremely violent game, and I do NOT recommend it for children under the age of 18, or anybody who might be effected by it, that don't understand that it is just a fantasy.

Post subject: How about a directory to the games on this thread...?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm thinking about creating a directory to the games on this thread. It would be similar to the directory of the "Obscure movies you like... " thread. This thread has grown to 32 pages, and if anyone ever wanted to check out what computer games have been mentioned or recommended here, it would be a tedious task at best. I don't mind doing it, because being retired and having little else to do (I don't play golf.) it would give me something to do to fill the void.

I would like to know what you guys think about this idea. :D

p.s. Not only would some of us find this to be a convenience, but after we're gone a new generation of "ScaRatings" game players might learn of computer games that they would never have heard of.

Post subject: A new Nancy Drew game is out...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

There is a new Nancy Drew game out, "The Silent Spy". (It's #29 in the series) I've bought it, but haven't played it yet.

Here's the trailer to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tndp5OBU2UE

Post subject: New"Big Fish" game, "Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug".
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

There's a new "Big Fish" game, "Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug". I just bought it, but haven't played it yet. If it is anything like the earlier Edgar Allan Poe games, it should be pretty darn good. I've got the Collector's Edition, and even though it's more expensive than the regular game, I think it's worth it, because it comes with an intergrated walkthrough, a bonus game, "Redemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven", and a bunch of other extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDVWnPT8C9M

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 850 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next