New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BIG AL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:46 pm 
Lightning II

I just learned that our dear friend and buzztime player Al Fiol (BIG AL) passed away this morning. He was a big part of the regulars at Danny K's. He was 52 and apparently very healthy. It was quite sudden. I'm in shock. He was a dear friend of myself and my dear departed husband Dan. I'm sure somewhere up there Dan turned around, saw Al, and said "Al, what the hell are you doing here?" Rest in peace my dear, dear friend.

Post subject: Re: BIG AL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:15 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Barbie wrote:
I just learned that our dear friend and buzztime player Al Fiol (BIG AL) passed away this morning. He was a big part of the regulars at Danny K's. He was 52 and apparently very healthy. It was quite sudden. I'm in shock. He was a dear friend of myself and my dear departed husband Dan. I'm sure somewhere up there Dan turned around, saw Al, and said "Al, what the hell are you doing here?" Rest in peace my dear, dear friend.

'm sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

My sincerest sympathies to you and to all the folks at Danny K's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:23 pm 
Banned

ANON wrote:

Thanks...Hoooooly crap, Barbie. Did you know of any ailments he had? 'Cause this is completely out of the blue. Really nice guy. Wow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mr_ale wrote:
ANON wrote:
Thanks...Hoooooly crap, Barbie. Did you know of any ailments he had? 'Cause this is completely out of the blue. Really nice guy. Wow.
Indeed. A most unexpected and stunning loss.

Image Image Image Image Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:35 am 
Lotsa Posta

I'm still in shock after Gutz told me about it. I was playing trivia and got a text that I should call her. I had this horrible feeling that it was Al. Recently, he had this tragedy in his family and I was concerned.

For those that didn't know Al, he was one of the good ones. He always had a friendly smile or a pat on the back whether he knew someone or not. He would always go out of his way to make a visitor feel welcome. He will be missed at Danny Ks and other trivia sites that he visited. He was looking forward to Sports IQ returning because, Al loved his 'SPORTS'. If he was in town, he was always ready to meet up and play trivia. Sundays will not be the same, or any other day, for that matter. R.I.P., Big Al you will be missed by your trivia friends.

Last edited by Gogetem on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:44 am 
Lightning II

Gogetem wrote:
I'm still in shock after Gutz told me about it. I was playing trivia and got a text that I should call her. I had this horrible feeling that it was Al. Recently, he had this tragedy in his family and I was concerned.

For those that didn't know Al, he was one of the good ones. He always had a friendly smile or a pat on the back whether he knew someone or not. He would always go out of his way to make a visitor feel welcome. He will be missed at Danny Ks and other trivia sites that he visited. He was looking forward to Sports IQ returning because, Al loved his 'SPORTS'. If he was in town, he was always ready to meet up and play trivia. Sundays will not be the same, or any other day, for that matter. R.I.P, Big Al you will be missed by your trivia friends.

Ha Ha Bobby, you nailed it. "SPORTS"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:03 am 
Lotsa Posta

Barbie wrote:
Gogetem wrote:

For those that didn't know Al, he was one of the good ones. He always had a friendly smile or a pat on the back whether he knew someone or not. He would always go out of his way to make a visitor feel welcome. He will be missed at Danny Ks and other trivia sites that he visited. He was looking forward to Sports IQ returning because, Al loved his 'SPORTS'. If he was in town, he was always ready to meet up and play trivia. Sundays will not be the same, or any other day, for that matter. R.I.P, Big Al you will be missed by your trivia friends.

Ha Ha Bobby, you nailed it. "SPORTS"

I told Gutz that I was thinking of not saying that anymore, but she said that we should continue in memory of Big Al.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:18 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:16 am 
Lucky Member (China)

I started playing trivia with BIG AL around 1998 at Spoons in Fullerton, CA. When that establishment removed the game, we started meeting at National Sports up the street. We got out of touch for a few years when I was working out of town, but were reunited at TGIF in Orange. When they removed the game we played at Black Angus, Santa Ana for awhile. When the game left there, we did also and took up seats at the Pineapple Hill Grill in Tustin. I always looked forward to seeing Al on Tuesdays and at Danny Kay's on Sunday.

The first thing that those who know Al at all will probably tell you is that he is one of the most genuinely warm and nicest persons they have ever met. He was always cheerful and laughed easily, but never at anybody. I never heard him say a bad word about anyone. He was always glad to see his friends. Al was tall and well-built, but the “Big” in his moniker “Big Al” really describes his heart more than anything.

The second thing his friends would tell you was that he loved sports. When a sports question would appear, he would shout, “Sports!” It has become a common cry among his trivia buddies. After SportsIQ he loved playing Six because you were guaranteed to be shouting “Sports!” at least once per round. His favorite teams were USC and the Lakers. I'm glad the Lakers won the championship last year for Al's sake.

When it came to trivia, Al might have been as good at soap operas as he was on sports. (It's a bit hard to tell because the answer is usually General Hospital.) Seriously, whenever there was a soaps question I just pushed whatever button Al said. Yet his most amazing quality was that he was a fantastic guesser. He had an uncanny ability to pick the right answer on subjects about which he admitted he didn't know. If he said, “I'm gonna guess two; just guessing,” you would most often be wrong guessing something else.

A little while ago BIG AL transferred his points to Danny Kay's. That was when you had to create a new account at your destination site and request the transfer. He didn't put in the space, so his handle became BIGAL. This, of course, was immediately misread as “bi-gal.” We've teased him about that with little mercy ever since. He never took offense. Instead he laughed along with us. Of course, he got it changed back to BIG AL. I was still kidding him last Tuesday. Al couldn't come to play Showdown because his mother had passed away. Before the game I sent a text message to all my trivia friends, saying, “Thoughts & prayers with Big Al 2nite. Look for BI GAL in the standings.” His reply, and his last words to me, was by text, “Thank u bob”. (A BI GAL login played brainbusters and didn't make the standings, but then we needed the board for another player.)

Al had a dream. He would win the lottery and open his own restaurant. It would be called, “Big Al's” of course. He would have Buzztime trivia and never take it out. All his friends could come and play anytime, and they would never have to pay for food or drinks. Out of anyone who has ever told me what they would do if they won the lottery, that was the best I ever heard bar none. I know in my heart that if he ever struck it rich, that's exactly what he would do.

It is an honor to me to have spent time with this big-hearted guy for more than a decade. I'm a lucky person to have known him, and I hope that some of him has rubbed off on me. I will miss him every time we play trivia (in other words, an awful lot!) We will still yell, “Sports!” It will hurt, but I know Big Al would want us to keep doing that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

My prayers to his family and his NTN family

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

my condolences to BIG AL's family and all his friends and acquaintences. Based on the posts here, I wish I had been able to meet him

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:51 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Very sorry to read this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:37 am 
Centenarian

My sympathies also to Al's family and friends.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sorry to hear about AL, the wife and I met him last year and this year. Very nice guy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:04 pm 
Centenarian

Sorry to hear about Al, Barbie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:55 am 
Gettysburg

My wife and I met BIG AL at an anti-bash at Danny K's and liked him immediately. He greeted us with warmth and enthusiasm and seemed genuinely excited to have new players and new friends on his team. We have had the pleasure to play with him at more anti-bashes as well as sunday nights whenever we could get out to the OC. I may not yell out "SPORTS" all the time but I will be thinking it for sure. We will miss him. RIP BIG AL.

Scott & Cassandra Clydesdale

RHYNO BUHBUH East Side Marios Lakewood,CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:52 am 
Lotsa Posta

A hats off to MaryC for providing a PlayMaker to go on that final trip with Big Al. He has it with him in his casket.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:53 pm 
SF Pier

Gogetem wrote:
A hats off to MaryC for providing a PlayMaker to go on that final trip with Big Al. He has it with him in his casket.

That's pretty cool.

Sorry for your loss, Barbie.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:34 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Gogetem wrote:

Very nice. We thought about sneaking one into LITL E's casket, but Ed settled on a Yankees cap.