New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: JBMOM/Judy Martin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Nobody looks forward to writing one of these, but I was dreading this one, even as I knew it was coming.

Judy Martin, also known as JBMOM and formerly, JBPUP, passed away just before Christmas.

Judy played for many years at Stewart's, mostly on Saturday afternoons and usually with one or both of her adult children. Prior to discovering Stewart's, the family often played at Grotto's Pizza in Wilmington. Judy moved to Delaware after a career teaching somewhere in Virginia that she described as being "just on the border between Leave It to Beaver and The Dukes of Hazzard."

As a former English teacher and avid reader, she had an exhaustive knowledge of both English and foreign literature. She had classic movies down cold. As a child of the South, she knew the Civil War like she'd fought it herself. She had an amazing recall for pop culture from the fifties to the present. She was an enthusiastic sports fan and rabid Cubs supporter. This broad base made her a formidable trivia player. For many years, she was the one to beat in solo games and on the monthly leader boards. That said, she never taunted or bragged. She always encouraged others to play, even helping them log in and create accounts.

A great lover of hand-crafted beer, especially barleywines, Judy would occasionally chastise anyone drinking a Coors Light or other such swill at Stewart's. There is nothing quite like seeing a big, beefy, biker-type dude being shamed into drinking a Belgian beer by a tiny little lady with blue hair and a genteel Southern accent. That light accent was also a delight when she rebuked her son with, "I did not carry you for eight months and go through an hour and a half of labor to have you treat me in such a manner."

Judy was well-loved by dozens of Saturday regulars, even though she'd not been able to play for several years. Her first minor stroke didn't bother her too much; the Cubs were in the playoffs, so she was able to watch the games without too many distractions in the hospital. When she got out, she still came into the bar, but not as often, as she had to depend on others to drive her and she couldn't sit on a bar stool anymore. After her second stroke, she took up residence in a nursing home. When I first visited, she was frustrated. Her roommate had a television and put Jeopardy! on for her. That was good, as she could hear Alex (even though she couldn't read the words), but she said she frequently knew that she knew the answer, but just couldn't get to it. The frustration weighed heavily on her. I visited several more times, but not often enough and not nearly recently enough.

She was a hell of a lady and she is dearly missed.

Post subject: Re: JBMOM/Judy Martin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:37 pm 
Ending Symphony

Excellent tribute! Made me believe I have really missed out by not meeting and playing with her.
Heartfelt Condolences..............

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:33 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

She sounds like a wonderful woman and great player.

Sorry for your loss Akbar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:28 am 
Lord of Scaratings

So sorry to read this. Thank you for sharing, I can certainly imagine this lady in my mind's eye from your heartfelt description.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Indeed, very nicely written.

Condolences from Hillbillyville.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:50 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I offer my condolences as well. It does seem that she would have been a great person to meet and play against as that was her style. I do agree with her about Coors light as IMHO she was on the spot. It's too bad that she is gone and your post was a great way to let us know about her.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

As a side note, as the year ends, lets remember all of those who can no longer play. I used to play a game or two under some of their handles, but BT did away with that option w/o starting a new account.

Miss you FLEGAL, CAVMAN, HUMBUG & all the others that took time to bang away.

Cheers!

EDIT: today would have been PNKPIG's b-day, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:22 am 
Golden Tee Master

Sorry for your loss, too many good players leaving us.