New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ernie Banks, Memory of a Cub Fan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:10 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

In January, 1985, I was invited by United Airlines to play in a pro-am event at one of the Disney courses in Orlando. The pros weren't golfers, they were all pro baseball and football players. The ams were all big-time United Airlines customers. My travel agent got me the invite even though I did all my business with Delta.

It was a real fun affair. All the pros were there with their families enjoying the Disney parks while their husbands/fathers were teeing it up. I got to play with Cub pitcher Scott Sanderson who was a very nice guy. We shared a cart together and had an enjoyable time as the Cubs were coming off one of their better seasons: they won their division in '84 but lost in the NLCS to that team from the Site-Poor Backyard.

I also spent some time on the driving range talking to his teammate, Rick Sutcliff who had won the Cy Young award that season. He was a happy man. And while I was warming up, a guy watched me hit a couple and advised me to "bring your feet a little closer together and you'll hit it much better." So I tried it and it worked. The guy was Dave Stockton, two-time PGA Tournament champ paid by United to walk up and down the range giving lessons. So Cool!

After the golf they held a cocktail party where I spent a good 20-30 minutes in one-on-one conversation with Ernie Banks. It was great. The room was filled with famous athletes and I got to spend quality time with my hero! I wanted to talk Cubs baseball but he was only interested in talking about golf. He thought the secret to the game was how to hit a "high fade." I thought he was nuts but I didn't tell him that.

Any, eventually it came time to end our conversation. I considered asking him for an autograph but we were friends by this point and friends don't ask friends for autographs. Then Ernie said "Hey, I'll be in Tampa sometime next month for an old-timers game. Think we can get together and play golf?" I said "You just let me know when and I'll take you to my club. We got some good guys who would love to meet you and we'll have a great time. You can hit all the high fades you want."

So Ernie says "Write down your contact information and I'll call when I know all the details." While writing out all my address and phone info, I thought this is so cool. I'm giving him MY autograph!

Several weeks later I read in the paper about the Old Timers game and for the next several days I sat by my phone waiting for his call. And waiting. And waiting.

And...nothing. He never called. He said he would but he never called. I felt so hurt. And used. He didn't love me. It was just an act.

It took me years to get over it.

R.I.P. Mr. Cub