New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DOC C
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:12 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Professor Gilbert Cuthbertson (aka DOC C and MVP) was the only person I've ever encountered who as a solo player at Mezzanine was the top individual on Showdown, playing at Mezzanine a number of years ago (we saw him on the boards). He was the embodiment of both a gentleman and a scholar, as indicated by his kindness to me when my now-husband Jim/COOGS was hospitalized and by his academic accomplishments, as described by Rice University:
http://news.rice.edu/2019/07/24/rice-re ... -know-him/. Jim and I were honored when he was one of the people who accepted our invitation to the housewarming-party-turned-engagement-party-turned-wedding.

DOC was one of the members of the team that won the first McCarthy Cup at Catbirds, and later was on the Shuckers, Mezzanine, and Concert Pub teams in Houston that battled in both the McCarthy and the Sandbagger Tournament that often reached the finals but didn't get the trophy, but did include the Concert Pub team that won both. He was the go-to player on anything involving politics, history, and the classics. Simply, he was the person you most wanted to have on your Showdown or Brainbuster team, and I'm so glad I got to be on that team.

Sadly we hadn't seen DOC for awhile, as the Houston Concert Pub team disintegrated partially, then completely several years ago, but I'll never play a Showdown game without thinking when an appropriate question comes up (as they almost always do) how we wish he were there to nail it for us.

Brooke/AARDVK

Post subject: Re: DOC C
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm 
Himself Fodder

Hate to hear that. He was always extremely congenial when I would occasionally join the Houston crew back in the glory days.

Brooke, I think we can both overlook the fact he graduated from Jayhawk U. In this one instance anyway.