New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TIEFLY/BOTFLY and LILJOL
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:21 am 

Hi all, been forever since I've been here, but two recent events have brought me back.

First, earlier last week, got a question from NUNZ on if I had heard if LILJOL had passed away. He sent him a Christmas Card that was returned recently as "deceased". A check of Facebook shows he hasn't posted since Jan 18th of this year, after posting frequently, sometimes 2 and 3 times a day. And no responses to posts on his page after that. But when I search for an obituary I can't seem to locate one. Can anyone confirm that he's passed?

Second, and directly impactful to me, I learned this morning that Bob Stalnaker aka TIEFLY/BOTFLY passed away in his sleep during the overnight hours on Sunday May 12th. I am devastated by this. TIE was one of the most intelligent and gentle men I had ever met, with amazing stories he acquired during his time on earth. Anyone who has played trivia with him will have a TIEFLY story to tell, and I hope to hear a lot of them. For me, it'll always be a Triviapalooza when he asked for a ride across the street to the hotel. When it was pointed out to him that the hotel was just across the street, he responded with "Well so is the moon, but I'm not walking to that either!". And I believe that was the same one where he discovered that gravity wasn't just a suggestion, but was the law.

Anyone who has access to his FB page will know of his poetry that he wrote and how touching it was, reflecting on the life he lived. Goodbye, my friend; you are already missed.

Chuck (JETS)

Post subject: Re: TIEFLY/BOTFLY and LILJOL
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I am gutted to hear this. Thank you for letting us know.

Post subject: Re: TIEFLY/BOTFLY and LILJOL
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hey Chuck,

Good to hear from you. So bad to hear why.

It’s strange, last week I sent Bob an email after not communicating with him in a few years. He hadn’t been in here in a very long time. So the email bounced back, I guess he had dropped that old email address. Now I find out he passed away yesterday, strange that I had a strong thought to attempt to contact him.

Tiefly was one of a kind and definitely not as out of hand as seen at the Triviapaloozas. As you know he was different the times we meet up in VA to play BT. More quiet, very smart and down to earth. He will be missed by many. Too bad we haven’t kept up with trying to get him out to play in VA. I know, Rick is probably the only one around there anymore.

I had been wondering about Joel too. I had asked about him about a year or so ago long after he wasn’t playing and wasn’t on Scar either. The report back was he was on FB so was alive, so that was good to know at that time.

Michelle and I had visited Joel 3 maybe 4 times in San Diego on family trips to Dana Point. We had a great time with him and he went far out of his way to to come up to join us at a BT bar in Long Beach or Huntington Beach or Patsy’s closer to where we were. Great nights with everyone on all those visits. We also went down to La Jolla and other SD places back in the day. He was truly the most gentlemanly person I have met. So kind and accommodating at all times.

Thanks for letting us know about these passings. Very sad.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!