New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: PNKPIG--Bill Daly
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:29 am 
Centenarian

xtrain wrote:
Amen to ANON's post. Thanks to somebody at Jilly's who got Bill's handle up there tonight.

PNKPIG was the benefit of a split on one of the pyramids (the lobster q, IIRC). After the game, I explained to everyone why I was playing that handle, and we hoisted our glasses in his honor.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 am 
SF Pier

I saw Mad River get his name up there (2nd) on the 3:30 EDT Countdown Game yesterday.

PNKPIG was an NTN/Buzztime Icon, and will be missed by those that knew him and many others (like me) that never met him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Noles wrote:
xtrain wrote:
Amen to ANON's post. Thanks to somebody at Jilly's who got Bill's handle up there tonight.

PNKPIG was the benefit of a split on one of the pyramids (the lobster q, IIRC). After the game, I explained to everyone why I was playing that handle, and we hoisted our glasses in his honor.

Told everyone about PNKPIG at B-Dubs O'Fallon, IL during the night. Greats scores @ Jilly's and Mad River in his honor.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:19 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

I am very saddened to learn of Bill's death, and my thoughts go out to all his family, both blood and trivia

Visits to New York just won't be the same anymore :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:24 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

This is my first time on the forum for a few days, and I was very saddened to see this news. Add my condolences to his team and family. His understanding of math was way beyond me and I always appreciated the intelligent comments he made on many topics.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:42 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

this is sad news, indeed.

My sympathy and best wishes to his family and friends.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 am 
Lightning II

am very sorry to here this news. got to meet him a few times over the past few months. one of the truly courageous men to live his life the way he did to the end. bill started coming to uno's in bellingham,mass on saturdays and was a pleasure to spend time with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:28 am 
Centenarian

Very sad news.

Not only was PNKPIG a regular on on the Showdown & Brainbuster leaderboards when he played at Mad River, but his distinctive handle also routinely appeared on the Six national rankings when he played at sites like Indigo in Queens or the Lamp Post in Jersey City, NJ. He was one of those players who was so good that if you saw only the individual (top 20) leaderboard you couldn't predict whether he was playing alone or alongside his friends. I'll miss seeing PNKPIG up in the national lights Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, and I'll miss the competition he provided the rest of us in the ntn universe. Sadly, the games just got a little easier to win.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:37 am 
Lord of Scaratings

wonk wrote:
Very sad news.

Not only was PNKPIG a regular on on the Showdown & Brainbuster leaderboards when he played at Mad River, but his distinctive handle also routinely appeared on the Six national rankings when he played at sites like Indigo in Queens or the Lamp Post in Jersey City, NJ. He was one of those players who was so good that if you saw only the individual (top 20) leaderboard you couldn't predict whether he was playing alone or alongside his friends. I'll miss seeing PNKPIG up in the national lights Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, and I'll miss the competition he provided the rest of us in the ntn universe. Sadly, the games just got a little easier to win.

I first noticed him at A&M Roadhouse, then B4.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sad news.

Saw the salutes early yesteday afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:33 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

I posted this on Badbart this evening. Bill like organizing tournaments. We ought to create a Pnkpig annual thingie. Anybody got any ideas ?

That's a nice sentiment, to honor him in some way. It should be done.

I always considered Pnkpig a friend I just hadn't met yet. It's a shame to realize I never will.

Scar

----- Original Message -----
To: liljol
Cc: badbart@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [BB] R.I.P PNKPIG, Bill Daly

I am shocked to hear about Bill. I had the immense pleasure to know him and to play with him at Mad River, A&M Roadhouse, and one or two other locations in Manhattan. A warmer, more welcoming player you just couldn't find. Liljol, could you fill in a few details for those of us not on ScaRatings? My computer won't access that link.I'd like to see a PNKPIG subtitle to the traveling cup, or a PINKPIG bash this Fall. Or even a national, 4-week tournament honoring Bill.. Something. Thanks for the heads-up. Bill will be missed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:01 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

scar wrote:
wonk wrote:
Very sad news.

I first noticed him at A&M Roadhouse, then B4.

Same here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Is there already a SIX player-run tourney? If not, then there should be one, and why not one named after him?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:25 am 
Centenarian

It's strange to lose an acquaintance one has only ever interacted with on line. One tends to forget that behind the ageless handle and avatar there is a real person leading a real life and, perhaps, struggling with some serious problems. Certainly Bill gave us little indication as to how grave his condition was. We were presented with his intellect, his mind, which showed no sign of frailty whatsoever. From my limited online dialogues with him I have the impression - possibly an entirely erroneous one - that he was a man after my own heart: not content merely to know something, but driven to find out how and why it was so, and probably going off on many tangents in the process. In any case, his contributions to these boards were invariably worthy of respect and generally paragons of erudition and courtesy.

Does anybody perhaps have a photo of Bill that could be posted here, so that we can see who it is we are pushing off in the burning boat?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:01 pm 
Centenarian

Sorry to read this.

My prayers and thoughts for the family.............

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:44 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

If this works, it will be a miracle. I know Bill is laughing at my efforts to put a picture online, but I think it will be a nice tribute. In case it shows up, he is standing third from right (not counting the young lady in the white shirt). He took the name PNKPIG because in front of A&M Roadhouse, where this pic was taken the week after we won the McCarthy Cup in 2005, there stood a wooden sign in the shape and color of a pink pig, to indicate, I think, that the restaurant served barbecue. We always thought it suited him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:00 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

xtrain wrote:
If this works, it will be a miracle. I know Bill is laughing at my efforts to put a picture online, but I think it will be a nice tribute. In case it shows up, he is standing third from right (not counting the young lady in the white shirt). He took the name PNKPIG because in front of A&M Roadhouse, where this pic was taken the week after we won the McCarthy Cup in 2005, there stood a wooden sign in the shape and color of a pink pig, to indicate, I think, that the restaurant served barbecue. We always thought it suited him.

xtrain, -- that looks like it tried to link to your personal hard drive. If you need a hosting service to put it up, let me know and I can drop it on one for you so you can post it.

PM me if you want and I'll drop you my e-mail address.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Kudos to MEGUMI for getting PNKPIG up at #1 during Speed Freaks tonight. That was a very nice tribute.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:34 pm 
Centenarian

Today, at my former home site closest to my home, I saw someone at 86th St. Pub in Indy did a BTT perfecto as PNKPIG. Great work!

I never met the man, but from his interactions on the now-defunct Buzztime forums, I came to respect him.

In his honor, I suggest a player-driven SIX competition trophy among competing sites with the infamous Pink Floyd pink pig, as photographed on the "Animals" album cover above England's Battersea Power Station, mounted on a trophy stand.

Name it the William Daly Trophy for Comprehensive Knowledge.

We at West Park Station would be proud to host it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

bigdog216 wrote:
In his honor, I suggest a player-driven SIX competition trophy among competing sites with the infamous Pink Floyd pink pig, as photographed on the "Animals" album cover above England's Battersea Power Station, mounted on a trophy stand.

Name it the William Daly Trophy for Comprehensive Knowledge.

We at West Park Station would be proud to host it.

When Damon's Stow closed last year, the manager gave us all the trivia-related trophies, including two that years ago they used to put on the table or bar in front of local winners of individual games. They bear the legend "Top Pig in the Pen" and have at the top of each--no kidding--a golden pig. They are currently gathering dust here, and I don't think anyone in the Fellowship would object me donating one or both to the cause if they can be of use.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:44 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Here is a link to the obituary of Bill that appeared in Boston Globe 8/15. It includes a picture. Probably better than the group pic I had of our old team at A&M Roadhouse. As you can see from the obit, he was a multitalented man.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/boston ... =144675415
XT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:09 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Attachment:
File comment: Bill's Picture.
BG-2000380886-i-1.JPG_20100814.jpg
BG-2000380886-i-1.JPG_20100814.jpg [ 3.92 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

xtrain wrote:
Here is a link to the obituary of Bill that appeared in Boston Globe 8/15. It includes a picture. Probably better than the group pic I had of our old team at A&M Roadhouse. As you can see from the obit, he was a multitalented man.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/boston ... =144675415
XT

Props to the Globe for mentioning that he was a nationally known top-ranking trivia guru and a human encyclopedia. ;)

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:28 am 
You, in C.

bigdog216 wrote:
Today, at my former home site closest to my home, I saw someone at 86th St. Pub in Indy did a BTT perfecto as PNKPIG. Great work!

I was wondering why I saw a PNKPIG scoring at 86th Street when I played this weekend. I thought perhaps Bill was visiting or there was some tribute. Now I know, and I am very sad.

We also never met, but Bill and I traded some emails a couple years ago regarding NTN. His insights on the company were first rate. And his trivia skill was nothing short of amazing. But we all know that.

Oh, man, what a bummer....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:58 am 
Moderating Hobbit

I apologize for the delay in getting xtrain's picture up. I've created a photobucket account for scaratings in case someone else needs hosting in the future. xtrain said he is third from the right: