New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The George Shelton Wake...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:37 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Cloudy wrote:
George isn't talkiing to me from the afterlife, but I can hear him just the same. He wants his old buddies to get together, have a few drinks, and play trivia in his memory. He apologizes for not being able to be there, but he will be rooting for us to kick butt just the same.

George won't be here to organize the festivities, so I guess it is my job to put things together. I've got a lot of phone calls to make, but right now it looks like George Shelton's Wake will be at Buffalo Wild Wings in Middletown. Not sure if it will be this Friday or Saturday, but it will probably be one of those days. Talked to a manager (John) at Buffalo Wild Wings this afternoon, and he says that they will reserve space for us on the patio, if the weather is good, but if it isn't, they will give us our own space inside. However, I need to give him a little warning with the numbers they can expect.

Please let me know, if you can make it, and which day is better for you. I will also have to consider those I call, who don't normally read the "ScaRatings".

I'll be there, just let me know when. Thanks, Cloudy.

Post subject: Re: George Shelton passed away yesterday.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:31 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Tolle wrote:
I believe it was the first Triviapalooza that GRS attended. He, Lil E, and Cloudy went to the Air Force Museum... if I'm not mistaken. He was certainly the quiet one out of those three! Lol

Yes, you are right, it was the first Huber Heights Hullabaloo.

Post subject: Re: Another George story...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:42 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Cloudy wrote:
Another George story (I won't post all of the details about it here.) is the time I went to the bathroom at Buffalo Wild Wings in Middletown, and returned to my chair only to find out that George and I had been "barred out" in my absence. As we headed out the door on the way to the car, I found out George had tried to stop an assistant manager from taking one of my two boxes, while I was taking a leak.

George was never one to back down, when he knew he was right, and he would always go to battle for his friends. (This was a battle of words, nothing physical.) However, as I understand it, what got George and me barred out, wasn't anything George did or said. It was something that Lil E, who was with us, but sitting a few stools away, shouted at the assistant manager, while George was arguing with her. Amazingly, Lil E, wasn't barred out, but George and I were.

p.s. It wasn't long after, before that assistant manager was gone.

p.p.s. Yep, George was no coward, and he took us back up there, not too long after we were barred out. Know what...? There was no problem, when we returned.

I was there, October 15th, 2005. West Virginia over Louisville by 2 in triple OT, USC over Notre Dame by 3, Michigan over Penn State 27-25, all happening simultaneously.

Place was wall to wall, not a box to be had, not surprised they tried to get a second box.

Post subject: Re: Another George story...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:

I was there, October 15th, 2005. West Virginia over Louisville by 2 in triple OT, USC over Notre Dame by 3, Michigan over Penn Sate 27-25, all happening simultaneously.

I remember that day very well. My wife and I had seats in the endzone where Michigan scored its last TD as time expired.

Post subject: It will be this Friday (April 8th)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

We will gather to remember George Shelton this Friday (April 8th) at the Middletown Buffalo Wild Wings on Shelbyville Road. I'll be up there around 5:00 pm, but I know many won't be able to make it until later. I need to give the manager a head count to reserve tables for us. So, please let me know if you will be able to join us. Thanks.

(If you don't have my cell phone number, SCAR and DANTE have it.)

Post subject: Friday's Bartenders...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

YODA just suggested that I should try to contact the bartenders from the old Friday's, and let them know. However, I have no idea how to contact any of them. If anyone does, please tell them that George passed away, and about the get-together this Friday. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:01 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

*salutes George's memory*

Of course, I never had an opportunity to meet the man, but after reading through this thread, it's clear he was a good guy, and very well-respected

I'll bowl a few strikes in his honour tomorrow night, in lieu of long answers

Post subject: George the Bartender...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:31 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

(Another George story: "George the Bartender")

We played trivia at King Pin Lanes for a while. The manager there goofed up a lot. One time when George and I went into the bar to play trivia, we were surpised to see four or five people sitting there twiddling their thumbs, because there was no barteneder. The manager had forgotten to schedule anyone to bartend that night. They were all going to leave, when George jumped up from his seat, ran behind the bar, and started taking orders. He kept a record of what everyone bought, collected payment (including tiips), and ran the bar for about half an hour, until a real bartender arrived. When she got there, he turned everthing over to her, tips and all, and she rang it up.

Now that's a take charge guy, with a lot of guts...!

p.s. It was probably risky on his part, but he pulled it off.

Last edited by Cloudy on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: George the Fisherman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

(Another George story: "George the Fisherman")

George was an avid fisherman, but he could not swim. Nonetheless, he would drive off by himself to the boondocks of Kentucky, and fish friend's farm ponds all of the time. One time, when fishing alone from a John Boat, while he was trying to get a fish off the hook, he lost his balance, and nearly fell into the water. He didn't, but his rod and reel did. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but the reel he lost was some kind of super duper thing, that cost hundreds of bucks. (I'm thinking it was something like $700.) George paddled to shore, and used landmarks so he could remember the approximate location of where his rod and reel went down.

George told me about this at Friday's, and I said I could get it for him with no problem. JESSE's mom, Nona, was sitting with us at the time. She said that she was an excellent swimmer, and she could find it too. So a couple days later the three of us headed to the boondocks to dive for George's rod and reel. The water was probably about 11 or 12 feet deep. It wasn't bad near the surface, but when you got down to the bottom, it was damn cold. It was dark down there with a lot of water grass. You couldn't see more than about two feet. Worse yet, you coudn't stay down there much more than 30 seconds. We never found it.

A month later, after BADGRL got George in touch with a Louisville Police diver friend or hers, we went back to the pond. He had scuba gear, and found it in less than ten minutes.

(A guy, who would spend that much for a fishing reel, and risk his life to use it, had to really love to fish.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:44 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Here's a picture from the archives of Cloudy. George (GRS) is in the middle in the blue shirt. Back row is Cloudy and John (OOSVN). Front row is Steve (Lil' E, who already departed us for that great trivia bar in the sky), George and Nancy (NBA).

Attachment:
gang.JPG
gang.JPG [ 76.64 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]

Post subject: Great job YODA...!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Great job YODA...!

I think that picture was probably taken about 3 years ago. We were celebrating George's birthday at Friday's that night.

p.s. I recently discovered two presents that I forgot to give George. I was going to call him about them, but didn't get around to it. So I still have a book by W. Edwards Deming, "The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education", a book he told me that he wanted to read again, and I promised I would find it for him. The other present was a deck of St. Louis Cardinals playing cards, his favorite baseball team.

p.p.s. George and I used to argue over if Stan Musial or Ted Williams was the better baseball player. George said that the St. Louis Cardinal, Stan Musial, was better. I, a Boston Red Sox fan, claimed it was Ted Williams. George, as much as I miss and love you, I'm sticking to my guns. Musial was damn good, but Ted Williams was by far the better of the two.

Post subject: Re: Friday's Bartenders...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:07 am 
Golden Tee Master

Cloudy wrote:
YODA just suggested that I should try to contact the bartenders from the old Friday's, and let them know. However, I have no idea how to contact any of them. If anyone does, please tell them that George passed away, and about the get-together this Friday. Thanks.

Cloudy, I believe most of them are working Friday night. You might want to call the Friday's downtown and see if any if them might be off that night.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:33 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Bigdog is going to make it.

Post subject: Great...! I'm glad she could come.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
Bigdog is going to make it.

Great...! I'm glad she could come. (Nothin' could be finer than...)

Called a gazillion people, who knew Geroge. Some said they would be there for sure. Some said they would be late. Some said they might make it. Some said they couldn't stay long. Not having a definite number, I told Buffalo Wild Wings to set us up for 20, that it was kind of a guess, and there might be more. The manager told me that would be no problem, and if we needed more tables, they would take care of us.

I also decided that we needed to be set up inside, instead of on the patio, because the weather forcast for Friday was talking about rain and thunderstorms.

I hope a lot of people show up. For those who do, I think they will meet many old trivia friends that they haven't seen for quite some time.

Dave and I plan to be there around 5:00 pm. The sooner you all can get there, the better.

See ya tomorrow.

Post subject: Thanks Bob...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Cloudy, I believe most of them are working Friday night. You might want to call the Friday's downtown and see if any if them might be off that night.

Thanks Bob. Just read your post. I stayed out a little late tonight, and it's probably too late for me to try to contact them now.

Hope to see you tomorrow night, if you can make it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:39 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Taked to OOSVN and NBA last night, they indicated they probably would come by.

I had told them though that we would be out on the patio. They were averse to the normal noise levels at the Bdubs, and I told them we'd be outside. They were unaware of the TVs out there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:24 am 
Lotsa Posta

scar wrote:

I had told them though that we would be out on the patio. They were averse to the normal noise levels at the Bdubs, and I told them we'd be outside. They were unaware of the TVs out there.

Cloudy, if you get this in time, go ahead and set up camp outdoors on the patio. I strongly think that any storms/rain won't be a factor tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:33 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

I will be there at least briefly. Sorry for not responding sooner, last few days have been pretty hectic.

Post subject: Okay, the patio it is...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MiniYoda wrote:
scar wrote:

Cloudy, if you get this in time, go ahead and set up camp outdoors on the patio. I strongly think that any storms/rain won't be a factor tonight.

Seeing the the vote is unanimous for the patio, I called the manager at 3:30, and we will be on the patio .

(Sure hope those isolated thunderstorms don't decide to isolate themselves around Middletown.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:41 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I wish to thank those who came to George's celebration tonight, and also thank those who were there in mind and spirit but who could not be there in person. George was well remembered tonight as a great friend and great trivia player. We are happy for the time that we had with him on earth, and are looking forward to playing a game with him once we too have passed on to the next world.

Good Night, GRS!

Post subject: Tonight was a wonderful celebration...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tonight was a wonderful celebration of George's life. Many of George's old trivia buddies showed up to pay him their respects. SCAR and YODA's idea to celebrate on the patio worked perfectly. Got a feeling that George was looking down on you guys and gals, and I'm sure you put a smile on his face. It's too bad that George couldn't have been there with us tonight. He would have tossed in some answers that we didn't know, and would have partied along with the rest of us.

George, we all miss you... We wish that it didn't have to end so soon...

Post subject: One more George story...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

George thought he was an expert shot when it came to tossing small, wadded up pieces of paper into receptacles behind the bar at Friday's. His favorite target was a small wine glass with a line to show the bartenders how much wine to pour into a glass. (It wasn't used for drinking, just for measuring the real wine glass next to it.) I would guess that George probably hit something like one out of five of his shots. The rest wound up on the floor, or scattered around the wine measuring glass. This annoyed the bartenders a little, because they had to pick all of his misses up.

Then one day, nothing would go in. All of his shots bounced off, no matter how accurate they were. George was befuddled, but kept shooting away to no avail. Nothing would go in.

Later that night, Dawn (a great Friday's bartender) started laughing. Unbeknown to anyone, she had taken the wine measuring glass back to the kitchen, before we came in. She covered the top of the wine measuring glass with Saran Wrap, trimmed the excess off, so nobody could tell, and put it back up there for George to shoot away at.

Yeah, I hear you George, but you didn't ever hit better than one out of five.

Post subject: George's wife called me...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

George's wife, Cindy, called me. George's ashes will be interred at the Fort Knox military cemetery sometime in eary May. (It could be May 2nd.) I'll post more when I find out.

Post subject: George's burial
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

George's wife, Cindy, called me today. He will buried next Monday, May 2nd, at 11:00 am. The burial will be at the Kentucky Veterans Cemetery Central in Radcliff, KY.

To get there from Louisville, I guess you just take Dixie Highway and head south towards Fort Knox. The best address I can come up with is 2501 North Dixie Blvd. I believe it will be on the right somewhere very close to Fort Knox. Cindy, says when you get there, just drive all the way back in to the top of the hill. I am unsure as to what kind of ceremony there might be. Not sure how much time it will take to drive down there from Louisville, but to be on the safe side, I'd give myself 45 minutes to an hour.

I understand that the time and day of the week will make it very difficult for most of you to be there, but if you plan to go, please let me know. Thanks.

p.s. I believe the phone number for the Kentucky Veteran's Cemetery Central is (270) 351-5115.

(Belated edit: FSHMAN and I will be driving down there on Monday. We can fit two more in the car, if you want to ride with us.)

Post subject: FSHMAN and I attended Geroge's burial ceremony today...
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:58 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FSHMAN and I attended George's burial ceremony today. There were probably about 30 people there. George received full military honors. As the gun salute went off, I had tears in my eyes.

George, you deserved more time. It is so sad that you didn't get it...