New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: You need to post a warning sign... !
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:50 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

The "ScaRatings" needs to post a warning sign...!

There is some button you can hit that will totally erase the entire post you are working on, and gives you no opportunity to recover it on the "ScaRatings".
This button is not any of the ones that are obvious, that no one in their right mind would hit in the middle of a post. It's something like backspace, or something else as innocent sounding. Does anyone know what that killer key is?

I've posted on many other sites, but have never run into something like this before.

To say that this pisses me off, is an understatement. I want someone from the "ScaRatings" to step up, and tell us what this magic delete the last half hour of your posting button is. :evil:

I'm pissed for more lost posts than I can remember, but three tonight broke the camel's back. :evil:

Last edited by Cloudy on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: You need to post a warning sign... !
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:58 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Simple solution... Proofread before the post. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:21 am 
Lotsa Posta

Cloudy wrote:

There is some button you can hit that will totally erase the entire post you are working on, and gives you no opportunity to recover it on the "ScaRatings".
This button is not any of the ones that are obvious, that no one in their right mind would hit in the middle of a post. It's something like backspace, or something else as innocent sounding. Does anyone know what that killer key is?

I've posted on many other sites, but have never run into something like this before.

To say that this pisses me off, is an understatement. I want someone from the "ScaRatings" to step up, and tell us what this magic delete the last half hour of your posting button is. :evil:

I'm pissed for more lost posts than I can remember, but three tonight broke the camel's back. :evil:

With all due respect, sir, if I were up at 1:50am posting messages on the computer, I've personally probably had a few beers in me, and am at risk of making a mistake that could cause all kinds of problems.

One thing to do, use a regular text editor or notepad to type your message, then copy/paste it into this message box

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:48 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Cloudy wrote:

Scaratings is run on PHPBB. If there's some magic key, it's a problem in PHPBB.

You are probably suffering from having told it to go to "Previous page" on accident.

This used to happen on the Buzztime forums too. That's why if I am working on a longer post, I copy it and paste it into notepad every now and then, as previously suggested above.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Half an hour for a post?? What are you writing Unabomber manifestos??

Never had the problem...must be operator error.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Scaratings is run on PHPBB. If there's some magic key, it's a problem in PHPBB.

You are probably suffering from having told it to go to "Previous page" on accident.

This used to happen on the Buzztime forums too. That's why if I am working on a longer post, I copy it and paste it into notepad every now and then, as previously suggested above.

Dante,
Your knowledge of computers is vastly greater than mine, and, I expect, Cloudy's as well. I have had the same thing happen to me many times, and have taken to highlighting and using Control C to copy it about every 10 minutes or so, so that if it disappears, I can hit Control V and make it magically re-appear. I suppose that that is what you computer cognoscenti mean by copying and pasting it to Notepad. I have had the same thing happen with e-mails, so I suspect that it is from accidentally hitting some key or combination of keys on a standard keyboard (other than delete). I have no idea what PHPBB means but if you know of some key or combination that tells it to go to a previous page, please tell us so that we can avoid it. Thanks.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Falcon wrote:

Quote:
Dante,
Your knowledge of computers is vastly greater than mine, and, I expect, Cloudy's as well. I have had the same thing happen to me many times, and have taken to highlighting and using Control C to copy it about every 10 minutes or so, so that if it disappears, I can hit Control V and make it magically re-appear. I suppose that that is what you computer cognoscenti mean by copying and pasting it to Notepad. I have had the same thing happen with e-mails, so I suspect that it is from accidentally hitting some key or combination of keys on a standard keyboard (other than delete). I have no idea what PHPBB means but if you know of some key or combination that tells it to go to a previous page, please tell us so that we can avoid it. Thanks.

That is indeed what I mean by copying it notepad.

PHPBB is PHP Bulletin Board, which is the software that this board, and hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of other boards run on.

There's no way I can override Windows or browser shortcuts, and it isn't an actual problem with PHPBB that causes it. Usually it happens because you've told the webpage to go back on accident.

My best guess -- and I think it's a good one -- is that when this happens you (general you, here), have clicked off the message box on accident and then hit backspace. When you aren't in a typing box, backspace "goes back" to the previous page; yes, I agree this is an absolutely idiotic shortcut and is counter-intuitive. You can test this by clicking reply on a post, then clicking off the message box to anywhere else on the page and hitting backspace.

Here's a little secret for when it happens, if it does -- sometimes, but, not always, you can hit the forward arrow in the top left of your browser and it will take you back to the page you were on with the text you were still typing there.

I do understand the frustration. I am on a few other message boards where my average post length is something in the realm of four - five pages, and I've had it happen before, especially, as said, after a few brewskis (by the way, do not post on private science forums after having a few brewskis; especially do not attempt to do math). I understand completely the frustration of not wanting to re-type everything.

By the way, if you happen to use a laptop (which I do not think Cloudy does), you may also want to look at turning Tap to Click off on your mousepad. This is absolutely the most common cause of "clicking on accident" I've seen in all my years fighting with soulless computers.

Edited to fix Quoting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
That's why if I am working on a longer post, I copy it and paste it into notepad every now and then, as previously suggested above.

That is what I do when I update the "1000th Place on Players Plus" and "The 25m Club" threads.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:12 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

It also may be worth pointing out that if you use an external mouse, some of them have "Go Back" buttons on them. And some touchpads on laptops have a "go back" swipe function, too.