New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Am I safe in assuming...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:28 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Cloudy wrote:
Am I safe in assuming that we can still disagree with each other as long as we do it in a polite and respectful way...? I would hope that good natured joshing will be acceptable. We get a lot of good natured, silly joshing on "The Baseball Thread", "Ban the Person Above You" thread, and the "Post Baseless Lies About the Person Above You" thread. (There may be a few more threads, where you will see good natured joshing, that don't come to mind right now.)

Anyway, I think that everyone has got the message, and I don't think SCAR or DANTE really have to worry about what the rest of us are going to post to the "ScaRatings" from now on.

p.s. If by some unlikely chance somebody should feel offended by something that somebody else has posted, allow me to suggest that they send a polite private message to that person, explaining why they felt offended, instead of complaining to SCAR or DANTE. If I know the people, who post here, I believe that they will respond politely, apologize for offending you, and endeavor not to do it again.

As some of you who have messaged me about other things in the past know, I am not very sympathetic to people who get offended because the sun came out in the morning, so, no, silly natured joshing is not against the rules. Nor is disagreement. Personal attacks -- or even things approaching them -- will be dealt with harshly. Personal attacks does not mean you disagree with someone, or with their ideas. It does mean you aren't capable of expressing yourself in a sensible manner.

And I agree, I certainly prefer people attempt to work out their disagreements privately first. I know that some people are highly non-confrontational on a 1 on 1 basis, but I don't particularly want to have to mediate between people who feel they have been slighted in some way. The proper thing to do in those cases is to talk it over privately, and, otherwise, click the report button on the post. The improper thing to do is to send me a private message because you're upset with someone else, and haven't even mentioned it first to them, or done anything to report it outside of PMing me.

There will no longer be any process by which people are warned repeatedly, and wherein I have to go into in depth private messages with them, usually about conversations I have 0 knowledge about. I will immediately ban the person(s) involved, if it crosses the line. I am relatively good at keeping people off forums, so it won't just be a "Buzztime" ban either.

I know that all sounds relatively stern, but I will let you guys know that's one of the ground rules from here on out. For those of you who don't like it, or who have expressed in private message to me that you think I'm incredibly unfair to you, am Stalin, am Hitler, am a variety of other political figures, etc., I can only say: go ahead and leave and post somewhere else.

We've treated everyone the same, despite some peoples' opinions, and I've approved people to be here that I expressly didn't want on the board to begin with. That's because we decided to make it open. The original rules work pretty well, and the line you have to cross to get banned is common sense. People get heated, and I understand that. It isn't a "Haha, you got a little mad, you're banned!" but more a, "If you think you may have to come back and edit your posts tomorrow morning and the content of your post is directed at a person, and not the person's ideas or actions, it would be better not to post it."

Again, use common sense, and you'll be just fine.

Thanks!

Post subject: Very well thought out, and very well written...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Am I safe in assuming that we can still disagree with each other as long as we do it in a polite and respectful way...? I would hope that good natured joshing will be acceptable. We get a lot of good natured, silly joshing on "The Baseball Thread", "Ban the Person Above You" thread, and the "Post Baseless Lies About the Person Above You" thread. (There may be a few more threads, where you will see good natured joshing, that don't come to mind right now.)

Anyway, I think that everyone has got the message, and I don't think SCAR or DANTE really have to worry about what the rest of us are going to post to the "ScaRatings" from now on.

p.s. If by some unlikely chance somebody should feel offended by something that somebody else has posted, allow me to suggest that they send a polite private message to that person, explaining why they felt offended, instead of complaining to SCAR or DANTE. If I know the people, who post here, I believe that they will respond politely, apologize for offending you, and endeavor not to do it again.

As some of you who have messaged me about other things in the past know, I am not very sympathetic to people who get offended because the sun came out in the morning, so, no, silly natured joshing is not against the rules. Nor is disagreement. Personal attacks -- or even things approaching them -- will be dealt with harshly. Personal attacks does not mean you disagree with someone, or with their ideas. It does mean you aren't capable of expressing yourself in a sensible manner.

And I agree, I certainly prefer people attempt to work out their disagreements privately first. I know that some people are highly non-confrontational on a 1 on 1 basis, but I don't particularly want to have to mediate between people who feel they have been slighted in some way. The proper thing to do in those cases is to talk it over privately, and, otherwise, click the report button on the post. The improper thing to do is to send me a private message because you're upset with someone else, and haven't even mentioned it first to them, or done anything to report it outside of PMing me.

There will no longer be any process by which people are warned repeatedly, and wherein I have to go into in depth private messages with them, usually about conversations I have 0 knowledge about. I will immediately ban the person(s) involved, if it crosses the line. I am relatively good at keeping people off forums, so it won't just be a "Buzztime" ban either.

I know that all sounds relatively stern, but I will let you guys know that's one of the ground rules from here on out. For those of you who don't like it, or who have expressed in private message to me that you think I'm incredibly unfair to you, am Stalin, am Hitler, am a variety of other political figures, etc., I can only say: go ahead and leave and post somewhere else.

We've treated everyone the same, despite some peoples' opinions, and I've approved people to be here that I expressly didn't want on the board to begin with. That's because we decided to make it open. The original rules work pretty well, and the line you have to cross to get banned is common sense. People get heated, and I understand that. It isn't a "Haha, you got a little mad, you're banned!" but more a, "If you think you may have to come back and edit your posts tomorrow morning and the content of your post is directed at a person, and not the person's ideas or actions, it would be better not to post it."

Again, use common sense, and you'll be just fine.

Thanks!

DANTE, your post was very well though out, and very well written. I cannot see how anyone could have any problem with what you have said. Personal attacks that go for the throat or cut to the bone should not be tolerated. Hell, NO personal attacks should be tolerated. I am happy that you understand that we've got a lot of different people posting to the "ScaRatings", with a lot of different opinions and ideas, and that as long as they express those different opinions and ideas politely and respectfully, they present no problem. (Not allowing people to disagree with each other would make this a very boring web site.) I'm also happy that you understand when I accuse LilJol of being an alien from another galaxy on the "Post Baseless Lies About the Person Above You" thread that it's not serious, and he knows I'm just joshing with him too.

You're doing a good job. I think SCAR should give you a raise. If your "ScaRatings" salary was quadrupled, I've got a feeling that your pay check would still be $000,000.00...! :lol:

p.s. Maybe you could get SCAR to fork over $500.00 a month in Monopoly Money. You deserve something. :lol:

p.p.s. JESSE would probably buy those $500 Monopoly bills off of you at a steep discount. JESSE loves playing Monopoly. How much does JESSE love playing Monopoly...? No joke, JESSE told me this himself. He plays the board game alone. Yep, the board game, not the computer versions of Monopoly, and he always wins. (Once again, I'm not joking.)

p.p.p.s. I would suggest that no one ever take JESSE on in a Monopoly game for real money. He will clean you out. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Message from Scar: The end of Scaratings
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Geez, I go into hibernation for a few weeks, and find all heck has broken loose

I didn't read this thread in exhaustive detail, but I didn't skim quickly over as I typically do. The gist I got is SR will stay for now, provided people behave, but DANTE and SCAR's plug-pullin' hands remain very itchy-twitchy. That about sum it up?

I will happily add my thanks to those already expressed to these fine gentlemen for providing this forum in the first place. DANTE's a god among hobbits. I imagine the grunt work of running a website must be FBUFFT awful at times, then I consider the details I'm NOT imagining . . . yeah. God Among Hobbits

But just in case D. or S. do open up their bottle of Fukitol on the site, those who wish can find me at Facebook dot com slash pengwn. Just remind me what handle belongs to you, so I don't mistake you for TIEFLY . . . EGADS! ;) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:59 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

pengwn wrote:
Geez, I go into hibernation for a few weeks, and find all heck has broken loose

I didn't read this thread in exhaustive detail, but I didn't skim quickly over as I typically do. The gist I got is SR will stay for now, provided people behave, but DANTE and SCAR's plug-pullin' hands remain very itchy-twitchy. That about sum it up?

I will happily add my thanks to those already expressed to these fine gentlemen for providing this forum in the first place. DANTE's a god among hobbits. I imagine the grunt work of running a website must be FBUFFT awful at times, then I consider the details I'm NOT imagining . . . yeah. God Among Hobbits

But just in case D. or S. do open up their bottle of Fukitol on the site, those who wish can find me at Facebook dot com slash pengwn. Just remind me what handle belongs to you, so I don't mistake you for TIEFLY . . . EGADS! ;) :mrgreen:

We missed your soothing presence. If you ever try to leave again, we're shutting down Scaratings. New Rule! :)

/I kid
//welcome back!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:58 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

I didn't leave, really. I've just been putting more effort into having a social life away from computer/TV screens lately. I even went as far as to join an indoor soccer league on Tuesday nights. Hell, if I'm really lucky, that will lead to . . . uh . . . further extra-curricular activities ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:05 am 
Moderating Hobbit

pengwn wrote:
I didn't leave, really. I've just been putting more effort into having a social life away from computer/TV screens lately. I even went as far as to join an indoor soccer league on Tuesday nights. Hell, if I'm really lucky, that will lead to . . . uh . . . further extra-curricular activities ;)

Soccer eh? I'd say your extra-curricular activities may involve rolling around on the ground and holding your ankles. :D

/all sports descriptions are double entendre

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
I didn't leave, really. I've just been putting mogues.re effort into having a social life away from computer/TV screens lately. I even went as far as to join an indoor soccer league on Tuesday nights. Hell, if I'm really lucky, that will lead to . . . uh . . . further extra-curricular activities ;)

Is this a mixed soccer league like mixed bowling leagues? :shock:

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:47 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

FrankC wrote:
pengwn wrote:
I didn't leave, really. I've just been putting mogues.re effort into having a social life away from computer/TV screens lately. I even went as far as to join an indoor soccer league on Tuesday nights. Hell, if I'm really lucky, that will lead to . . . uh . . . further extra-curricular activities ;)

Is this a mixed soccer league like mixed bowling leagues? :shock:

I hope so! ;)

Sports are more fun when girls want to play with you and your balls