New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: I'm heading to AA tomorrow...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MiniYoda wrote:
It is indeed sad news that a few can cause the loss for so many. I understand, though, and thank Scar and Dante for all their hard work.

P.S. What will Cloudy do until 1am?

P.P.S. What will Cloudy do until 2am?

P.P.P.S. What will Cloudy do until 3am?

I'm heading to AA tomorrow. The idea of staying up to 3:00 am, and having to drink alone, is something, I don't think I want to get into. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Message from Scar: The end of Scaratings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:18 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Now I am really blue. Thanks for all the hard work gang

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:28 pm 
Quarter Pounder

Sorry to hear this. I realize the energy and effort it has taken to make this what it was. Thanks to Scar and Dante!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Understand why you are doing this. Scott, I guess by shutting this down, You will have a total fresh start in Georgia.

And Adam, I guess you don't want to stuck running this on your own.

Thanks for the outlet when NTN shut down its fourm.

Anyone wanna stay in touch with me who isnt in Facebook, PM me number, YIM and/or email addy.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I am very sorry to read about this. I liked posting here (as you can tell by my post count), and enjoyed most of the people here. I will miss this forum.

Then again, maybe I'll start going to bed a little earlier! :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
zog741 wrote:
I am very sorry to read about this. I liked posting here (as you can tell by my post count), and enjoyed most of the people here. I will miss this forum.

Then again, maybe I'll start going to bed a little earlier! :)

-- RWM

Heh, heh, heh.
Maybe Cloudy will get some sleep & start making some sense now. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Maybe Cloudy will get some sleep & start making some sense now. :mrgreen:

Is that even possible? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:55 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

This is really sad news. I've enjoyed keeping in touch with friends who are Facebook phobic. And it has been great to have a source of information about Buzztime.

But this is Scar's and Dante's baby. If they close it, so be it.

It would be nice if a smaller, more simplified, more civilized forum could continue.

Whatever happens, thanks to Scar and Dante for all they have done for all of us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:04 pm 
Centenarian

I echo statements above... I appreciate the fact that this website is here (would hate to see it go)... and appreciate what Scar and Dante do for us..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:16 pm 
Lightning II

Hopefully this will get all resolved in short order. IMHO if there are people causing problems here, take them out. This is the last place that our little collective has to talk to each other about trivia, get togethers and other trivia related stuff. Limit the rest of the shit and keep it trivia related. Nix the politics and other crap.

I've been a huge fan of this site all the way back since 2k or whenever it was that I first started playing. It would be a shame to see it go away on acount of some blockheads and other behind the scenes shit.

Putting the F U in fun since 1999!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:32 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Nothing like a little brewhaha to get the site count up on Scaratings. I miss a few days and look what happens. Can not blame Dante for changing or dropping the site. Maybe Scar can start a new one called Nascaratings. :P
Seriously, it will be a shame if this ends. But, nothing is worth the crap Dante has had to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:37 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Posts from Dante on a couple of the other threads indicate that he and Scar might keep going with this board, with limitations. If that's so, it's great news for all of us.

I would be sad to see this board go down for a number of reasons. Foremost of them is that I love having a non-Facebooky space to discuss the games and questions. As importantly, it's great to have a non-Facebooky space to discuss mini-competitions, gatherings and travel plans.

Less importantly, it's been nice to have a place for political discussions where the participants are not completely anonymous. That is, we are all BT players. Many of us have met each other or met people who have met others. So even when posters have been at their most troll-tastic, they've not been nearly as trollish as at a completely anonymous message board. That said, I understand that patrolling that and and refereeing behind-the-scenes complaints and sniping has caused Dante much grief. Since grief is crappy compensation for his time and energy, I cannot begrudge Dante his urge to shut it all down.

I am (along with many others, it seems) hopeful that Dante and Scar opt to continue this site without the contentious non-game-related threads. I would gladly trade the political threads I have enjoyed for the continued existence of the rest of the board and the ongoing community it has fostered.

Regardless of the future, I add my voice in thanks to Dante and Scar for all they have done in the past. Thanks, guys.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:42 pm 
Himself Fodder

Akbar71 wrote:
I would be sad to see this board go down for a number of reasons. Foremost of them is that I love having a non-Facebooky space to discuss the games and questions. As importantly, it's great to have a non-Facebooky space to discuss mini-competitions, gatherings and travel plans.

Agreed.

Quote:
Less importantly, it's been nice to have a place for political discussions where the participants are not completely anonymous.

Disagree. This is a BT forum, it's purpose is for BT players to discuss games, competitions, cards, etc. If people want to have discussions on other topics, go to an appropriate message board or have such discussions privately.

Please note I'm not begrudging anybody who wants to discuss any topic, just saying our purpose here is BT.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:47 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

-BO- wrote:
Please note I'm not begrudging anybody who wants to discuss any topic, just saying our purpose here is BT.

BO

You're going to be shocked when I turn this into "Politics Only Ratings" here in a few hours. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm hard pressed to think of a topic in which people could maintain
cordial attitudes 100% of the time.
If I started a thread on cute little puppies, it's a stone cold lock
that someone would bluster on about their preference for cute little
kittens and intimate that I'm a bozo for thinking otherwise.
People are consistent pains in the ass that way, god love 'em.
However, nothing on this site (or the ol' NTN site) ever made me think that people shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion, regardless of the blunt methodology used by the poster. Some people simply do not know how to express themselves in a socially acceptable manner. But that does not make their conclusions invalid or their opinions unworthy of exploration. It must be incredibly frustrating to have so much to say and not know how to get one's point across.
But, ultimately, when push comes to shove I vote in favor of Dante. He's the hobbit that has to put up with the consequences of the break down in acceptable social structure on here, so he gets the only vote that counts.
I appreciate the crap out of what you do for this site, Dante.
Do what works best for you.
And I think I have the answer for all of the refereeing issues: eliminate your inbox... :mrgreen:

Post subject: Just a thought...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
-BO- wrote:

BO

You're going to be shocked when I turn this into "Politics Only Ratings" here in a few hours. ;)

(I know you are being funny.)

Just a thought, but I think we all get along with each other on threads that don't go into politics. If political threads were eliminated and not allowed, I don't think the "ScaRatings" would have a problem going forward.

Give peace a chance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8rlSi5MlA

Last edited by Cloudy on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
spotes wrote:
cordial attitudes 100% of the time.
If I started a thread on cute little puppies, it's a stone cold lock
that someone would bluster on about their preference for cute little
kittens and intimate that I'm a bozo for thinking otherwise.
People are consistent pains in the ass that way, god love 'em.
However, nothing on this site (or the ol' NTN site) ever made me think that people shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion, regardless of the blunt methodology used by the poster. Some people simply do not know how to express themselves in a socially acceptable manner. But that does not make their conclusions invalid or their opinions unworthy of exploration. It must be incredibly frustrating to have so much to say and not know how to get one's point across.
But, ultimately, when push comes to shove I vote in favor of Dante. He's the hobbit that has to put up with the consequences of the break down in acceptable social structure on here, so he gets the only vote that counts.
I appreciate the crap out of what you do for this site, Dante.
Do what works best for you.
And I think I have the answer for all of the refereeing issues: eliminate your inbox... :mrgreen:

In regards to the above post, I believe Taggart says it best... 8-)
http://www.hark.com/clips/xbhwbhwfcd-cosmic-vapor-of-invention-ditto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
cordial attitudes 100% of the time.:

While I think it is true that dickishness knows no topical bounds, I also think that some topics elicit it more readily and widely than others. Perhaps excising those topics might serve to minimize the amount Dante has to deal with. (and I say this as one who has received the D.B.A.D. reminder myself. Perhaps not coincidentally, it was not on one of the trivia-topic threads.)

Post subject: As I read...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

As I read what others have posted, I think I see a consensus. We all really like each other. We all love the "ScaRatings". We all understand that getting into political debates leads to arguments that sometimes go too far. We all would be more than happy to see the "ScaRatings" drop and ban any political threads, so this site we love can continue. We all want to see the "ScaRatings" go on, because if it dies, we will lose the friends we have made here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:02 am 
Moderating Hobbit

I think Scar and I are almost done debating. The problem with removing the politics threads, and a few others, is people used to just bring them into the Buzztime threads. But that's OK, I think we have a solution on that. Still one more thing we are debating getting rid of, then I'll post up the changes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:31 am 
Banned

cloudy 140
akbar71 42
rhino 27
dante 25
anon 23
iceman 19
mr ale 18
hammer 15
cards 13
frankc 12
poman 12
spotes 7
tolle 4
bgtuna 3
zog741 3
liljol 2
jim 2
mitchwolf 1
gogetm 1
lewser 1
scar 1

I did want to take this opportunity to apologize for being such a loudmouth on Republican
Hopefuls, as demonstrated by the above post count.

Would I never shut up?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:56 am 
Moderating Hobbit

mr_ale wrote:
cloudy 140
akbar71 42
rhino 27
dante 25
anon 23
iceman 19
mr ale 18
hammer 15
cards 13
frankc 12
poman 12
spotes 7
tolle 4
bgtuna 3
zog741 3
liljol 2
jim 2
mitchwolf 1
gogetm 1
lewser 1
scar 1

I did want to take this opportunity to apologize for being such a loudmouth on Republican
Hopefuls, as demonstrated by the above post count.

Would I never shut up?

I think there's a large difference between quantity, and whether the vast majority of every thing a person says is insulting and nasty to other people on the board.

But if you think it's really about you and one particular thread, I guess there isn't much anyone can do to change your mind.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Actually, I think Republic Hopefuls was one of the more interesting topics here. The reason I didn't post much in it was because it was political, and therefore apt to get out of hand.

I like freedom of speech, even with its occasional consequences. I don't think the political threads should have been shut down, but they should have been clearly marked as political, perhaps in a subcategory under "Free for All". Perhaps the subcategory could have been "Politics - Post at your Own Risk!"

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:11 am 
Moderating Hobbit

zog741 wrote:
Actually, I think Republic Hopefuls was one of the more interesting topics here. The reason I didn't post much in it was because it was political, and therefore apt to get out of hand.

I like freedom of speech, even with its occasional consequences. I don't think the political threads should have been shut down, but they should have been clearly marked as political, perhaps in a subcategory under "Free for All". Perhaps the subcategory could have been "Politics - Post at your Own Risk!"

-- RWM

I agree. I also think it was one of the most interesting, and I think there was a lot of good discussion there, in general, though it eventually spiraled out of control. Some of the other semi-political threads that didn't go out of control are some of the smarter debating I've seen in forums since the mass of men got on the internet (I do remember the days when it mostly intelligent, un-inebriating people heatedly discussing topics without attacking each other -- though it was mostly science back then).

I've debated the merits of exactly what you're asking. Nevertheless, I have long experience doing this gig, and I know how that one goes -- it ends up with you guys not having to deal with any of it, but the people running the boards still dealing with the same stuff, immaterial of any caveats.

Scar, being both older and wiser than I, was correct, years ago, in his initial assessment of even having a non-NTN/Buzztime section -- he thought it was a bad idea. Nevertheless, we added it, and posting took off, and membership increased significantly (this was on the old Scaratings). We carried it over when we started it back up.

There may be some possibility of what you mention, but for right now, it's unlikely.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:40 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:

There may be some possibility of what you mention, but for right now, it's unlikely.

I agree

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next