New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ruminations on the Eventual End of the Scaratings Site
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:31 am 
Lord of Scaratings

No, no current plans to end our forum. Just was thinking, inspired by Pomans 1998 page I found.

All things have an end, and somedays Scaratings will be gone / disabled, whatever.

I also thought of those who have passed who I never got to meet such as TLEARY, TOMMYK, PNKPIG, and on and on.

And those many of y'all never got to meet that I did, such as LITL E, HATLDY, etc.

And many of you that I have never met, BO, LEWSER, AARDVK & CUUGS, and so forth.

So, I was wondering, as I rolled out a Company Life Insurance program and was counseling our associates to plan for the future, would it be better to plan the end of Scaratings and go out with a bang, or let it just atrophy away subject to newer social media forms such as Facebook and Twitter and whatever comes next ?

Assuming Scaratings predeceases Buzztime, should we have a gathering ? Should we do it in such a way so that the term "bash" could be applied without insulting the reverence we have for our trivia elders ? Center of geographical US near Lebanon Kansas (Heroes comes to mind, a site on my "BT Bucket List").

Or maybe have some fun and go to one of my good memory site visits Kelly O'Neils in Honolulu, or somewhere in the Keys ?

Our should we have four regional gatherings so we duke it out amongs ourselves ?

Or say hell with trivia and just have fun at a mardi gras, or ride our rented mortcycles to Sturgis with our trivia geek t-shirts ?

Or should Scar plan it for retirement, and start a caravan to visit you all, adding and subtracting folks to the trip along the way ?

Or don't consider it all and just go quietly into the night ?

I am curious what y'all think.

Scar, the Ruminator

Post subject: Re: Ruminations on the Eventual End of the Scaratings Site
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

For me, personally, I don't think anything will ever top our mini-mini-bash (the establishment won virtually every game that weekend, that counts as a 'bash' ;) ) experience at Cadi Jacks. That was an ideal place to play trivia...good times.

But moving forward, I'd vote for the Four Regionals (which, unfortunately, would have a lot less impact in the current FSPLIT format) in a Final Four-type setting.

And if that goes well, then maybe one big championship round at Heroes. (Again, it would have less impact in the current FSPLIT format).

I was hoping the FSPLIT format would revert back to the UNITE format by now. But just like the F_Badges, it lives on :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:02 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

poman wrote:
virtually every game

Not a bash!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Getting back to the point of the post. I say as long as there is still milk in the cow you keep squeezing the utter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:06 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'd like to see Scaratings continueas there is Buzztime, but Scar makes a good point about the impermanence of institutions.

If it ends, and I'm still around, the four regional gatherings would probably be the most workable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

scar wrote:
And many of you that I have never met, BO, LEWSER, AARDVK & CUUGS, and so forth.

Jim's prosthetic foot makes airline travel more difficult than he wants to tackle, but we can drive easily to major Texas cities. Or we could just try and lure BO et al. to site-rich Houston, where along with meeting people you can play at the original winner of the McCarthy Cup, a Sandbaggers/McCarthy winner, and the Smartest Bar.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:05 pm 
Himself Fodder

AARDVK wrote:
scar wrote:

Jim's prosthetic foot makes airline travel more difficult than he wants to tackle, but we can drive easily to major Texas cities. Or we could just try and lure BO et al. to site-rich Houston, where along with meeting people you can play at the original winner of the McCarthy Cup, a Sandbaggers/McCarthy winner, and the Smartest Bar.

Brooke/AARDVK

I think it's a given that if there's a trivia event in Texas it should be in Houston. More sites that care, more top players. While DFW has the most sites in any US metro area, it's sorely lacking in top sites and players on a day-to-day basis.

Although Stadium has hosted a couple of QB1 bashes. And there is a hotel next door.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:05 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
I think it's a given that if there's a trivia event in Texas it should be in Houston. More sites that care, more top players. While DFW has the most sites in any US metro area, it's sorely lacking in top sites and players on a day-to-day basis.

Although Stadium has hosted a couple of QB1 bashes. And there is a hotel next door.

Well, we can't offer a hotel next door, but there are a number of choices ranging from inexpensive to top-end within a mile of Concert Pub and of Mezzanine, including some within a half mile (BTW these locations are 4 miles apart). And we did have a good response from players area-wide to the two bashes, so even those who aren't regulars at either of these locations would probably be joining us, such as at least some of the Clear Lake/Friendswood folk (RACER, DIVOR, CLYDE, BIG J et al.).

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

You can't any regional bash set up because Buzztime is stupid. It would make zero sense to have any get together in the mountain or pacific time zones. If I participated I would go to Houston. I get to play in the central time zone in two weeks I won't know what to do with myself.

P.s. Buzztime the split is still stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:41 pm 
Himself Fodder

lewser wrote:
I get to play in the central time zone in two weeks I won't know what to do with myself.

It'll be OK, everybody else that will be there is used to competing in the east/central split. We'll make sure you aren't too overwhelmed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
lewser wrote:
I get to play in the central time zone in two weeks I won't know what to do with myself.

It'll be OK, everybody else that will be there is used to competing in the east/central split. We'll make sure you aren't too overwhelmed.

Also you may oughta try Kraftig Beer while you're there, Bobby. I may buy you a pitcher to try it out.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
You can't any regional bash set up because Buzztime is stupid. It would make zero sense to have any get together in the mountain or pacific time zones. If I participated I would go to Houston. I get to play in the central time zone in two weeks I won't know what to do with myself.

P.s. Buzztime the split is still stupid.

Buzztime since when they dropped Wipeout is gone downhill and they have stopped trying to get more locales to replace those that are gone.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

I was kinda hoping Dante might chime on this thread....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
From the Trivia Chain thread...
Quote:
It would seem that this thread AND this forum has pretty much run it's course. I'm afeared that our Benefactor, Scar is perhaps right. This forum does not hold the the attention that it once did. It started to be a forum continuing upon the old BT forum where people could post all things trivia but also go off & post things that were fun & relevant.

I fear this forum is dying.

There are a good many factors that have led to the demise of scaratings, some would be the Buzztime policies, some would be the participants here on this forum.
As an example of the demise of this forum, the OP of this thread never posts here anymore.
I, for one, was here to have a good time & share my love of trivia. I am sorry that some others here were not here to have a good time, they were here to give others grief simply because some others did not conform to the perceived pure trivia format.

Trust me in that I say I have enjoyed interacting with the vast majority of those here. Take care good people, Paul... AKA THE ICEMAN.

While I have no interest in this forum disappearing by any means, I would understand if the great & almighty scar would find the need to end it. I hope it does not come to that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:46 am 
Octogenarian

I personally enjoy this forum - check it daily for interesting snippets - thank you Scar for hosting the forum