New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What if
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:36 pm 
Golden Tee Master

I wonder how long Buzztime would last if folks stopped playing Texas Hold Em. I believe it saved the company when they added it and the second channel.

Post subject: Re: What if
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:51 pm 
Phosphorus

I know of a place around here that runs live THe poker. They also carry buzztime. On the nights of live poker, the players that get knocked out early play buzztime poker. I had a time that I was playing trivia there one night and my box power went. Since so many people play the buzztime poker that same night, there weren't any charged boxes for me to continue my game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:27 pm 
SF Pier

cards wrote:
I wonder how long Buzztime would last if folks stopped playing Texas Hold Em. I believe it saved the company when they added it and the second channel.

it certainly added a lot of participation ... about half the BW3's I visit have 'dedicated' THe players and no 'regular' team or dedicated players

my home site had a weekly tourney last year on Wed night for the winter and I am trying to get them started again ... 7-9 and I play trivia at the same time...

the 'C' though was a huge mistake...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm 
Phosphorus

[quote="cavman]the 'C' though was a huge mistake...[/quote]

If buzztime had done things correctly, the sports channel would have been fine. I have always felt that all three channels should be able to be accessible at the same time without excluding one of the others.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:30 pm 
Precinct?

I have found that THE is either the big game at a place or it is almost ignored completely. At the local BWWs it clearly is much more popular than trivia with a number of dedicated regular players. At Dickmann's you'd be hard pressed to find it on any of the 35+ screens on any given night and strangely, they have some sort of pay-poker game "Big Tony's poker" or something??? Anyway you pay 1-2 bucks to play for 30 minutes and people do it regularly... strange.... Also a place around here called Pitchers is almost entirely a THE crowd.

I used to enjoy THE but too many people playing loose and free due to the fact there is nothing to win or lose ruins the game almost every time. The on demand tournaments are fun and tend to cut down significantly on the play of idiots (because they are either out rather quickly or tend to play a smarter game) as they do not want to have to stop playing for an hour but even then you'll get two people sitting together who will cheat - I'll tell you people are idiots....

foobar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:

I know THe saved Buzztime at my home bar. Before my home bar upgraded to the 2 channel system we were down to 1-3 BT trivia players. Now there are several regular THe players every day. Unfortunately my home Bar has only 10 Playmakers. A couple of times I could not get a charged Playmaker in the evening until after 8 PM and a few times when there were actually 5 people in the bar who wanted to play Six we could not get 5 Playmakers until well into the Six game. The owner assured me he would get more boxes if there was a demand for them. Unfortunately our demand would probably be at most one night per week.

Now I play mostly elsewhere where THe is seldom played. Plus there are enough Trivia players to get good bar scores.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:01 am 
Lord of Scaratings

foobar wrote:
I'll tell you people are idiots....

foobar

No.

Really ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:51 am 
Route

I would play THe tournament, but I have never been around when one is held.

I fear our mistakes far more than the strategy of our enemies.
-Thucydides (471-400 B.C.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:07 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The state gov't in Oregon made the Cards channel illegal, either at the beginning or end of January 2011. As far as I know, this has had zero effect on sites/players. The few players that had switched over from trivia to cards just switched back. I don't believe any sites in the state have dropped the game since.

At the one place in Oregon where I know the cards had become highly popular, many players had stopped doing trivia altogether (except maybe for Tues. games). When the cards stopped, most of 'em just started playing trivia regularly again.

Even the BWW's, where the cards always seemed to get more attention than the trivia, are the same loud, crowded, noisy, overpriced, crappy places they've always been :) I don't understand the attraction to these places at all, but that's a rant for another thread :)

Interesting side affect to the banning of the cards channel (and much more so the online poker gaming places), LOTS of poker halls with live games (set up as "gaming tournaments" with entry fees and prizes so the law stays away) have opened up all over the Portland area in the months since... Not nearly as many as there are "gentleman's clubs" around here, but quite a few of 'em.