New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: S_ORTS _Q 11/7/11
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:22 am 
Himself Fodder

Several years ago after ULF had won a bunch of games in a row, two NTN/BT game designers went to watch him in action.

BT: What is that now, 12 games in a row? ULF you sonofabitch, nobody's that lucky.

ULF: Why BT, whatever do you mean? Maybe sports just isn't what people understand. I know, let's have a spelling contest!

BT: That's a brilliant idea, thanks!

I still love the game and will be playing tonight. My sole goal is to finish ahead of 86th Street, those 45 points have been gnawing at me all week.

Post subject: Re: S_ORTS _Q 11/7/11
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:11 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Its a bit of a silly gimmick round and ultimately not a test of sports knowledge. Its a current events spelling test. First, you do have to KNOW the answer. Second you have to knw how to actually SPELL the answer (and that is not alway easy if the letter you need is in the middle of a 7 - 10 letter answer. Then you have to accurately input the answer on the keyboard. Not the greatest way to assess actual sports knowledge........plus you have to do it 10 times. WOuld rather have more Years questions than these ones.

I have been able to maintain a top-10 ranking in this game as long as it has been on Sunday night. Now going to Monday and going up against many more players and many more teams I hope to be able to maintain a top 30- 40 ranking such as STC. The downward spiral begins tonight...............

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:40 pm 
Himself Fodder

TCHCNB wrote:
First, you do have to KNOW the answer.

This is totally false. For example...

David Dupont is a forward for this ACC hoops team. _ _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (5,8)

BO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:12 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:

David Dupont is a forward for this ACC hoops team. _ _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (5,8)

BO

Point taken. What I should have probably said is you need to know the answer to get a full 5.0 points. If you didnt know the answer to this one, and "N" and "C" came up as the first clues you still probably wouldnt get 5.0.

Thats what makes this a frustrating round. You can know the answer and get penalized because you cant spell it, or spell it incorrectly. And you can not know the answer and still get a reasonably good point total for the question. Although that is always true for any BT mulitple choice game as well. I get 1000 pointers often because I managed to guess correctly, not because I actually knew the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:30 pm 
Himself Fodder

TCHCNB wrote:
Point taken. What I should have probably said is you need to know the answer to get a full 5.0 points. If you didnt know the answer to this one, and "N" and "C" came up as the first clues you still probably wouldnt get 5.0.

Thats what makes this a frustrating round. You can know the answer and get penalized because you cant spell it, or spell it incorrectly. And you can not know the answer and still get a reasonably good point total for the question. Although that is always true for any BT mulitple choice game as well. I get 1000 pointers often because I managed to guess correctly, not because I actually knew the answer.

Agreed, it can be frustrating for these and other reasons. Such as the fact the required letters differ from location to location.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:26 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

That round and the round that asks about a picture that doesn't always appear are exactly why I preferred STC. If they threw a 3rd grade Spelling Bee in the middle of Playback, music geeks like XCLARK would throw a fit!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:11 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Did we ever get confirmation that the advertisement mentioning six rounds was mistakenly used from the days of the polling round, or is there something different about the game now?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:18 pm 
Centenarian

Jethro wrote:
Did we ever get confirmation that the advertisement mentioning six rounds was mistakenly used from the days of the polling round, or is there something different about the game now?

The ad was a mistake. The game will be the same.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:26 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

TomD wrote:
Jethro wrote:

The ad was a mistake. The game will be the same.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

TomD wrote:
The game will be the same.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Several years ago after ULF had won a bunch of games in a row, two NTN/BT game designers went to watch him in action.

BT: What is that now, 12 games in a row? ULF you sonofabitch, nobody's that lucky.

ULF: Why BT, whatever do you mean? Maybe sports just isn't what people understand. I know, let's have a spelling contest!

BT: That's a brilliant idea, thanks!

I still love the game and will be playing tonight. My sole goal is to finish ahead of 86th Street, those 45 points have been gnawing at me all week.

Well... there's always next week... :mrgreen:

You trying to lay this horrid game concept at ULF's feet?
What did he ever do to you?
Besides clean your clock 95% of the time...
(Now that I think about it, I remember my timepiece being pretty damn shiny as well...)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Monster score out of Varsity Grill tonight.
That subscription to the Tallahassee Democrat is pratically paying for itself. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:59 am 
Himself Fodder

spotes wrote:
(Now that I think about it, I remember my timepiece being pretty damn shiny as well...)

95% is a ridiculous exaggeration. Try 98%. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tolle wrote:
That round and the round that asks about a picture that doesn't always appear are exactly why I preferred STC. If they threw a 3rd grade Spelling Bee in the middle of Playback, music geeks like XCLARK would throw a fit!

The spelling round is a good bit of the reason why I quit playing SIQ. The game wasn't broke, it was perfectly fine the way it was, so of course they had to go and fix it :roll:

But I have to admit... if there were spelling & years rounds in Playback, I'd score big time :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:51 pm 
Himself Fodder

Is it just me or did BT fail in posting the SIQ scores in the HOF?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:54 pm 
U > 100 * 2

-BO- wrote:
Is it just me or did BT fail in posting the SIQ scores in the HOF?

Not just you, as the MNF QB1 game is posted and Sports IQ is not. Last time when the schedule was shifted around involved Sports IQ, it took something like 6 months to get it into the hall of fame. Let's hope they fix it soon so everyone can see JETHRO listed ahead of BO from last night's game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:58 pm 
Himself Fodder

Jethro wrote:
Let's hope they fix it soon so everyone can see JETHRO listed ahead of BO from last night's game.

Shit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:06 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
spotes wrote:

95% is a ridiculous exaggeration. Try 98%. :cry:

I think my Sports IQ game needs some inspiration....hmmm...

Gonna try and find that image someone provided (Buzztime forums?) a couple of years ago of Ulf at the ESPYs with what's-her-name... 8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Jethro wrote:

Not just you, as the MNF QB1 game is posted and Sports IQ is not. Last time when the schedule was shifted around involved Sports IQ, it took something like 6 months to get it into the hall of fame.

Yeah, it could be a long wait. It's been 2 months now and they still haven't put the Saturday Topix game in the HOF yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

sakictgif wrote:
-BO- wrote:

Gonna try and find that image someone provided (Buzztime forums?) a couple of years ago of Ulf at the ESPYs with what's-her-name... 8-) :mrgreen:

That someone would have been ULF himself, I just saw the picture yesterday... Mmmmm..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:50 pm 
Himself Fodder

lewser wrote:
sakictgif wrote:
-BO- wrote:

That someone would have been ULF himself, I just saw the picture yesterday... Mmmmm..

Had 2 minutes to kill did ya? Can't really blame you though under the circumstances.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:57 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Do you think anyone is working on getting the SIQ results page up and running again?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:23 am 
U > 100 * 2

TCHCNB wrote:
Do you think anyone is working on getting the SIQ results page up and running again?

No.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:07 am 
Centenarian

Tolle wrote:

I would welcome a spelling round in any game. I challenge you to a spell-off at next get together, BOTFLY can be the impartial judge...

My absolute favorite all-time buzztime moment was in Sports IQ a few years ago. As they filled in the picture in Round 2 (to help you get the answer), it was of a horse....I couldn't stop laughing for a least 5 minutes... The horse's pose was classic as well..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 am 
Himself Fodder

TCHCNB wrote:
-BO- wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:

BO

Had no clue on this question last night, nailed 5.0 on both boxes. Although David Dupont was not the player used, I was laughing pretty hard when I saw the [5,8] ACC team!