New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ - East 4/2/12
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:58 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

STATS was able to get his buddy RUEZIM out last night...so I drove down to the University BWW and joined them. I thought the last round was challenging, only getting 4/12 on the basketball average, 6/12 on another round, and 6/12 on the Derby Winners and their riders. First round we blew the 2011 Belmont Winner and the weight class for Antonio DeMarco for 24/30. Second round we were slow on the RB over 10,000 yards, but nailed everything else, for a round of 28.3/30. I didn't think Tiki was around long enough to rush for more than 10,000 yards. We did surprisingly well in the third round getting 46.5/50. Fourth round, I forget what we screwed up on...but only got 29/40. Last round was 36/50 for a game of 163.8 and third nationally...errr, in the East :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Congrats to Varsity Grill on the overall...errr, East :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: win last night, and a strong game by Walsh's Bar, Heroes, and JP Shakers. Good individual scores by the usual suspects HUNK, GAVV, TNC, BUG, RO, EL SID, and JINX. My apologies if I missed any usual suspects or locations at the top. I'm still trying to get all the usual suspects/locations figured out in my pea brain... :roll:

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ - East 4/2/12
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:29 am 
Centenarian

That was as close to a worst case scenario for Spotes and I. Had nightmares and cold sweats about hockey and horse racing (and a Q with both!). So off our game, ended up with 24 & 21/30 (I only slightly ahead the whole game since I went with Ruler on Ice). Missed Siebert and Powell (we knew it'd be a slog when Spotes misses a historical league MVP award Q).

Had no clue on Tiki's draft round, got about 23.5/30.

Curious as to what letters everyone got for the Ilya B..... (whomever) had to get. we ended up needing the Y and the G in the last name, yeesh, no wonder an 0fer on that. bled on hawks and a little on marlins.

Years we fumbled a bunch. I got us off 2007 :P, and in my logic on Q2, "no way they'd have 2 7s in a row ;)". don't remember exact scores but had about 114-6? going into final round. we got the nba averages, famous athletes, 3/5 on spring training -_-, and 3/5 on jockeys -_-, can't remember the other offhand. Could have been worse, but we weren't at the top of our game.

gavv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:29 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thank you UCFHCY. L Pato (Jorge) and I were pleasantly surprised by the rankings last night. We figured maybe a #3 bar finish and are #1. I usually congratulate the location and individual winners and for the third time in my life it's me. My board:

1) 27/30. We went Horse Racing instead of Hockey for Earl Siebert. Jorge laughed at Greg Monroe being listed as a guard. He's 6-11 and a center, not too many 6-11 guards in the league.

2) 27/30. I listen to Jorge on Nate McMillan and go Supersonics instead of Warriors on part 2 of the question.

3) 42.1/50. We make up for last week's incorrect spellings. On the last one I had the L in Ilya but could not come up with the R on the last name so we whiff.

4) 33/40.

5) 50/60. I go 12/12 on four of the questions but am waiting for Jorge, the NBA whiz, to begin spouting answers on career averages and he's drawing blanks. My educated guesses are all flip-flops and I only get 2 points on that one.

L Pato was 171 with a chance to break 180 and I was 167 before the final matching question. Before entering Varsity last night I brief myself on spring training sites (will they really ask those again?--we immediately feel bad for Spotes and company at 86th St.) and Kentucky Derby winners and their jockeys since it's almost that time of year. I figure out Sea Hero from 1991 or 1993 is Jerry Bailey too late to help Jorge and he only gets 6.0 and I actually beat him by two points, 179 to 177. We play as a team without really caring who wins but I'll admit L Pato is mighty quick on his box and he wins 90% of the time.

SLAM (Eric) who usually only plays Fridays and Saturdays is out for the championship game and a welcome addition last night. I hear you GAVV about some nights you're just off. Last night it was ask us everything we knew or had seen before and we educatedly guess right more often than wrong. A very well written, entertaining, challenging game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I also was off my game last night. The whole game seemed a struggle. I was nearly apoplectic when they went with another spring training matching question after doing the same thing only 2 weeks ago. Enough already!!

I did manage 27/30 in the first round so started off Ok, missing the Earl Siebert question as well. Tony Oliva is my boyhood idol so I knew he never won an MVP.

Had a terrible 2nd round. Had no idea when Tiki Barber was drafted (went with 4th), and also did not know where Veritek went to college.

Spelling round was 43 and I managed to do OK on the goalie question even though I had the Y and the G.

Years round was 29/40 which is pretty respectable for me.

Last round was an adventure in button pushing with the seemingly obligatory spring training questions, and also poor results with the Kentucky Derby jockeys and NBA career scoring averages. Only got 12s on the boxing and naming athletes to sports questions.

I feel fortunate to rank 33rd in todays East listings, as I thought sure I wouldnt not even be in the top 50 this time.