New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 4/16/12
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Congrats to HUNK and the Tally crewe on their honors last night! Nicely done! I'm stuck at work until 6:30 last night. :evil: :evil: :evil: When I finally get to leave, I listen to STATS's voicemail and call him back. After a brief conversation, I drive down to Sarasota to meet up with him at the University BWW...with both of us getting there about 7:30. After getting our frosty adult beverage, we scan the leaderboards from the 7:00 Countdown game to see who is in the house. Looks like the usual cast of characters...so we know it will be a good SIQ game tonight.

First round we nail 30/30. Second round, first question comes up and looking at the choices, STATS says Verlander...I said something else...causing him to change it. Picture comes up and it's Verlander :roll: Change back and get 4.4/5. I precall Old Dominion for the and 1...and hopefully make up for my prior error...5/5. 2nd question comes up and I precall Nick Anderson and Illinois. 10/10. 3rd question comes up and I say Pronger for 5/5. Trying to guess the and 1, I say Brendan Shanahan thinking they'd be asking who he was traded for. Looking at the teams listed, I say Blues as he was on the Oilers later...5/5. Second round with my faux paux was a 29.1/30 for a total of 59.1/60. Not a bad start...hoping the rest of the second round made up for the first question gaffe. Of course STATS being the ever gracious fellow that he is, says you know...I could have gotten Nick Anderson, Illinois, and Chris Pronger. Thanks for making me feel good about my contributions buddy! :lol:

Third round starts and after a slight hesitation by both of us, STATS says Venus Williams! 4.4/5 I precall Colorado Rockies for Moyer 5/5. We bled on Brandon Jacobs as I couldn't remember fast enough 3.4/5. This is where it really hurt as we couldn't figure out Gemologist and took a big fat 0. We nailed the last round for full value with Isiah Thomas, Boston Bruins (game was on right in front of us), Southwest Division Champs, Baylor, Ozzie Guillen, and as STATS precalls and tells me to get my fingers on "B"...Bubba Watson. Nice prediction sir! Third round, with the embarassing 0, was a 42.8/50 for a total of 101.9/110. We think we're in decent shape for a good game.

Fourth round, and right out of the gate STATS goes 1985. 5/5. Thank you sir! 2001 we started out at 2007...went to 2001...then to 2000. 1.2/5. We bled on 1973 and 1996 with 3/5 on both. 2003 was all STATS as I was preoccupied with the TV. 5/5. Thanks again sir! 1980 got us for another big fat 0 as we started out at 1988 (I thought it was earlier) and wound up at 1983. 0/5. 1997 got us 5/5. 1964 is another STATS call for a 5/5...nice call sir! 27.5/40 for a 129.1/150. If we can nail the last round, we should have a good game nationally. Going into the last round, I have a commanding 0.1 lead over STATS.

Fifth round, first question comes up and I know Malone's jersey number...and STATS fills in the blanks. 12/12. 2nd question comes up and we switch the hockey and boxing athletes...I can't believe I missed a hockey question :oops: Looking at the screens, we have a new leader. WTH!?!?!?!?! STATS waited til the last possible second to tell me Sammy Lee was diving...so his two boxes get 6, and my four boxes get 4. I can't believe he just threw me under the bus! :evil: :evil: :evil: Matching the pitchers to their no hitter was a slam dunk. Next up is NASCAR sponsors. Do I return the favor and throw him under the bus or go for the bar score? I tell him all of the correct sponsors for another slam dunk. Last question we switched Hadl & Youngblood for a 6/12. Final round of 46/60 for a total of 175.1...and a second place finish at BWW :evil: :evil:

In looking at the scoreboard, nice game by STATS coming in 2nd place nationally. And I know you didn't throw me under the bus on the Sammy Lee question :D Congrats to the other usual locations Heroes, JP Shakers, Stadium Cafe , Elsas Cantina, and suspects Bug, TNC, Bo, Jinx, and anyone else I missed.

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 4/16/12
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:10 am 
New Driver

Thank you!!! :D
After 3 rounds we had almost the same score including the big 0 on that damn horse. Even though Buzztime can't tell the difference between Serena and Venus Williams we get that one right, due to the coincidence that it was E M for us.
The years round was probably our best in at least a year. Had 37pts I think on all boards. After 4th round had 139.8.
And I knew the fisting was about to commence after the first matching question. :cry: :cry:
Found a way to slop to 36pts, thanks recent No-hitters.
Was pleasantly surprised to see we had the Number 1 bar score, more so that Hunk got the Gold, gonna check his Pepsi for PED's next week or if he's visted Germany recently...

L PATO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:38 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thank you UCFHCY. The leader board this morning looks as bunched up as the Master's on Sunday's back nine. Congratulations to you and STATS for your high finish and stellar competition.

L Pato says he wants to meet at Hooter's and gain redemption for last week's #3 bar finish. Twist my arm. $5.99 half-pound burgers and fries and the lovely Amy, Kayla, and company to keep us company. Richard (TPG) and Eric (SLAM) are also there.

My board: 1) 30/30 2) 28/30 3) 44.9/50 4) 37/40 5) 38/60 for 177.9

On round two I precall Ron Francis as the former Hartford Whaler but L Pato says NO, 1993 is too early. We change to Chris Pronger when we see the Blues uniform. In round three guess what? Serena Williams won the tennis tournament, not Venus! (Remember to post on wrong answers here) but it works out because the EM still goes in the same place. What luck (skill). We also whiff on Gemologist. I was dressing for work last Monday morning and had the TV on ESPN and swear I heard "Demopolis" but couldn't spell it. In round four we're late on Denis Potvin (1974 instead of 1973) and the Oilers moving to Tennesee (1996 instead of 1997). L Pato leans over and says darn, we're .1 point away from a chance at 200.
I'm terrible at uniform numbers. We know Karl Malone is 32 but flip-flop Willis Reed and Bob Lanier and Sam Jones and Elgin Baylor. I flip-flop Sammy Lee with someone while we're all on our own on this one. Same thing for NASCAR. I flip-flop Marcus Ambrose and Matt Kenseth for Stanley and Best Buy. (I thought Matt Kenseth was sponsored by DeWalt and why couldn't they have asked numbers? A sad note here. Kenseth and Planer (Ray and Joice) who visited often from Skybox in Crawfordville are now minus Planer as Joice passed away from lung cancer on April 7. Thanks to Ken (Kendo) for the E-mail this morning. I go 2, 6, 6, 12, 12 for 38. We hold on for our second #1's in three weeks. Congratulations to JP Shaker's for almost making it a photo finish. A lot of help from the team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:47 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Thanks! STATS says thanks too...
Hunk wrote:
Congratulations to you and STATS for your high finish and stellar competition.

Condolences to family and friends.
Hunk wrote:
A sad note here. Kenseth and Planer (Ray and Joice) who visited often from Skybox in Crawfordville are now minus Planer as Joice passed away from lung cancer on April 7.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:14 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I rebounded a bit from significantly sub-par effort last week, but still struggled in the Matching round for the 2nd week in a row.

Round 1: 30/30
Picture Round: 21/30. 7.8 on Justin Verlander, 10/10 on Nick Anderson, only 3.2 on Chris Pronger
Spelling Round: 44.4/50. Got stumped for a couple points on the NTN Venus/Serena screw-up
Years Round: 29/40. '85-5.0, '01 - 5.0, '73 - 3.0, '96 - 3.0, '03 - 5.0, '80 - 0.0, '97 - 3.0, '64 - 5.0
Matching Round: 36/60. Only 12/12 was the no-hitter question. Mixed up 2 on each of of the other ones for 6.0
each.

Felt fortunate to stay with the "Big Boys" as close as I did on this one. Thought sure the winning scores woudl be well into the 180s this week. If Spotes and 86th Streeet had played IM sure I woudl have been several places lower.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:44 am 
Centenarian

TCHCNB wrote:
I rebounded a bit from significantly sub-par effort last week, but still struggled in the Matching round for the 2nd week in a row.

Round 1: 30/30
Picture Round: 21/30. 7.8 on Justin Verlander, 10/10 on Nick Anderson, only 3.2 on Chris Pronger
Spelling Round: 44.4/50. Got stumped for a couple points on the NTN Venus/Serena screw-up
Years Round: 29/40. '85-5.0, '01 - 5.0, '73 - 3.0, '96 - 3.0, '03 - 5.0, '80 - 0.0, '97 - 3.0, '64 - 5.0
Matching Round: 36/60. Only 12/12 was the no-hitter question. Mixed up 2 on each of of the other ones for 6.0
each.

Felt fortunate to stay with the "Big Boys" as close as I did on this one. Thought sure the winning scores woudl be well into the 180s this week. If Spotes and 86th Streeet had played IM sure I woudl have been several places lower.

I was on a golf vacation in Scottsdale (plus got the impromptu opportunity to watch the Blackhawks/Coyotes game 2 in person) and usually unless MKRCHD and someone else would definitely be there when I'm gone, spotes doesn't make the trip over.

gavv

btw an aside, the Dinosaur Mountain course at Gold Canyon is an absolute gorgeous and immaculate course, thoroughly enjoyed it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:27 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

In preparing for tonight's Sports IQ I just noticed there was a mistake in the Overtime Round last week? L Pato and I went 1974 for Dennis Potvin as NHL Rookie of the Year until the next clue was A's beat Mets which was 1973. According to www.hickoksports.com Dennis Potvin WAS the 1974 NHL Rookie of the Year. 1973 was Steve Vickers of the N.Y. Rangers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:23 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

So that means your win was even bigger last week? :lol: Seriously...congrats on nailing it! See you on the leaderboard tonight...we'll be at BWW Riverview...

Hunk wrote:
In preparing for tonight's Sports IQ I just noticed there was a mistake in the Overtime Round last week? L Pato and I went 1974 for Dennis Potvin as NHL Rookie of the Year until the next clue was A's beat Mets which was 1973. According to http://www.hickoksports.com Dennis Potvin WAS the 1974 NHL Rookie of the Year. 1973 was Steve Vickers of the N.Y. Rangers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Hunk wrote:
In preparing for tonight's Sports IQ I just noticed there was a mistake in the Overtime Round last week?

The only preparing I ever did for Sports IQ was to order a beer before it starts.