New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East 4/23
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations to Spotes for his #1 individual and 86th St. for their #1 bar ranking last night. UCFHCY, Bugs, Roids, and other usual suspects made the leaderboard also.

We weren't "off" at Hooter's of Tallahassee, but we weren't "on" either. A well-written, challenging, and entertaining game, even if harder than average. We didn't play as well as our scores indicated.

My board: 1) 30/30 2) 28.7/30 3) 36.7/50 4) 30/40 5) 44/60 for 169.4

On round two we hesitate slightly on back to back MVP's before realizing it's Ernie Banks.

On round three not all the anticipated questions and some we didn't anticpate. We misspell Nick instead of Nico Rosberg for the Formula One winner and the Kenyan Boston Marathon winner. My board doesn't take the W on Brian Wilson and I have to reenter it for 3.6. I don't even get to answer Dullahan for the Blue Grass Stakes or Bodemeister for the Arkansas Derby winners? I hate you Gemologist.

On round four I'm on 1985 for Snow Chief winning the Preakness until I see Boston Red Sox win ALCS and change to 1986 for 2.0. I'm on 1925 for Black Gold and stay there but it's 1924 for 1.5.

On round five the edge we enjoyed on spring training sites evens out with the Toronto Maple Leafs players to be matched to their position. Might as well been a match the CFL player to his team question. I know which country won the World Cup in Soccer which year, the Golden Ball and Golden Boot players and even some countries where the match was played but cannot fit the coaches in my memory banks. Other than the French coach I'm clueless. I go 12, 12, 6, 12, 2.

Richard (TPG), Ken (Kendo), Eric (Slam), and Kim (Scots) are rehashing hockey playoffs thinking Jorge (L Pato) left earlier than planned for his trip this week. At 7:45 he comes through the door having overslept from his 3-5 "nap". We think our 172 is good enough for the top five and are pleasantly surprised to be #2.

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East 4/23
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Figures...I should have rechecked the active topics before posting my summary... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:13 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Deleted my other post on it...

Congrats to SPOTES and 86th Street on the win last night. Nicely done on what I thought was a challenging game. Kudos to the usual suspects L PATO, IMBIBE, PAYTON, JAGER, RO, BUG, DR J, BLJAYS, D MOB, and anyone else I missed...and the usual suspects Hooters Tally, JP Shakers, Heroes, Elsas Cantina, Walshs Bar & Grill, Wild Bills, Underdog Sports Bar, Quaker, Mezzazine, and everyone else.

First round, we went tennis over baseball for Mickey Welch. I was leaning towards baseball...oh well. 27/30. Second round, HOF QB I say Jim Kelly...but STATS decides to throw me under the bus earlier this week and says Phil Simms. As soon as I see the 12...I go Kelly...and he played for the Houston Gamblers...3.6 and 5.0. Jeremy Lin we get 5.0 and discuss the And One...discussing Golden State or Sacramento if it asks where he played before NY. We decide on Golden State and sure enough...5/5. Last question I say Ernie Banks and STATS throws me under the bus again...I mean talks me out of it. I change back to save 4.1/5. Home runs we strike out with 456 instead of 512. 0/5. 23/30 that round for a total of 50.

Third round starts out good as YC is on my fantasy team so 5/5 on Oakland. Formula One question sends us to the pits with a 0/5. I knew it was a first time winner who won from the pole...just couldn't remember his name. STATS get Carmelo...saves me a 4.3/5. Carl Pettersson was a 5.5 (thanks STATS). Miami Heat 5/5. Boston Marathon winner takes us down 0/5. Maloofs' team, Brian Wilson, and Edmonton get nailed 5/5. Third round of 39.3/50 for 89.3 going into the fourth round. Round 4 1993 for 5. We split question 2 with me on 1986 and STATS on 1985. 2005 was a 3/5. 1924 was a 3/5 as we started out at 1922 and worked our way up to 1923 and 1924. 1998 and 1974 were 5/5. Mario Andretti I was sure was 1969 even though STATS was emphatic it was 1967. 1.5/5 for a 32.5/40 round. 121.8 going into the last round.

Round 5 college basketball 12/12 and NFL draft 12/12 were slam dunks. Maple Leafs players we switched Salming and McDonald :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: 6/12. Another hockey question missed. Baseball batting champs was another slam dunk 12/12. World Cup coaches, I say to STATS...no worries...I got this. He said really? I said HECK NO! STATS proceeds to figure things out and I press what he says. Somehow we get a 12/12. 54/60 for the round for a total of 175.8.

Next week I'll be on vacation...still hoping to play...and STATS might have to work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:43 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congrats to Spotes and Gavv for leading the way in last nights game!!

I had a very healthy start to the game and was definitely thinking about a potential top 10 finish going into the last round. For the 3rd week in a row the Matching Round was significantly challenging and I was hanging on for dear life at the end! I only get solid opportunities for medals maybe 2 -3 times a year so I feel very fortunate for this bronze as the hockey and World Cup questions nearly undid an otherwise solid effort.

My board:
Round 1 - 30/30
Round 2 - 29.7/30.
Round 3 - 47.5/50.
Round 4 - 31.5/40.
'93 - 5.0, '86 - 2.0, '05 - 3.0, '24 - 1.5, '98 - 5.0, '74 - 5.0, '67 - 5.0, '02, 5.0

Round 5 - 40/60
12/12 for Big 10 basketball, NFL draft years, and baseball batting champs. "Oh-fer" on the Hockey question and 4/12 on the World Cup coaches

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:57 pm 
Centenarian

we figured we'd come up short after the latest round in our hate/hate relationship with Our Lady of the Grammatically Challenged, Toronto Maple Leafs, gave us 2/12 for 50/60 in the final round. pure etymology got us thru world cup :)

we were 27/30 in the first round (don't remember which one offhand).

lost maybe a point on Jim Kelly (gained a few tenths on spotes on speed :) . luckily i'd seen some nfl top ten players not in the hall, so i knew Stabler wasn't, knew simms wasn't, though i was temporary blinded by brodie:). cleared everything else. Don't try to sneak by a 500 HR club stat-fastball past Spotes. led to more discussions on who was and wasn't in both the 500HR and 3000 hit clubs. believe i had 56.1/60 through two.

we had about 41 in box score. missed the Kenyan (spotes surly that he should have known to commit him to memory), got Nico easily with 2/3 of our playing team being avid F1 watchers. we lost about 3 of 5 on Petterson since for some reason when i saw 'swedish player' i had gotten lpga stuck in my head instead of pga. dropped a tad on Oakland As (for once an AL West box score answer not Seattle or Texas!).

spotes got us to 1925 but i just missed the 4 pt cutoff that he was able to make, we got 1986 for 2 even though i'd guessed 6 off snow chief but pat bradley some reason got me to switch to 2 :).
can't remember off hand our other misses but knowing Mario's 67 daytona win probably gained us a few. ended up about 31/40 for spotes.

gavv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yay!
Turk Broda got me two points!
Take that, Canada!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 pm 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:
Yay!
Turk Broda got me two points!
Take that, Canada!

Nice job...We'll eventually find your trivia weakness and exploit the hell out of it...

Um, one thought, Edmonton wasn't the worst team in the NHL this year, it was our beloved Columbus team...Not sure the wording of the question, but I think it was wrong (not that it mattered, we got it pretty quickly).

On the "Carl Pettersson" question in the spelling round , I confidently yelled AR without blinking an eye, unfortunately there are two Ts in Pettersson and the blank was in the fifth spot (damn it)...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:49 am 
King or Queen Postalot

Columbus finished in last place, but since those pink-puckin' WHA reject FOILRS managed to sandbag their way to yet another first overall draft pick, I'm guessing that was the nature of this particular question