New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 5/28/12
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:37 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Unbelievable...I finally finish my game summary and click Submit...and I've been logged/timed out. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Why didn't I copy my work before clicking submit... :roll: Here's a second attempt...though probably won't be as good as my first one...

Congrats to the medalists last night: TIMMY at West Park Station, NEY at Primetime, and BO at Stadium Cafe...nicely done! Round 1 starts and things are going along smoothly until we get to Alvin "Doggy" Julian. STATS (DJ) says baseball and I say basketball. Omar Vizquel comes up and STATS goes 43...I say I think he's older...and go 45. In avoiding the two buses STATS just tried throwing me under...first round is 30/30 for me...while STATS and his two buses are at 24 :P

Round 2 comes up and I say Nick Swisher 5/5. And 1 comes up and after a delay...I say Minnesota. Thinking about it some more...I go no, I think it's going to be Oakland. We stay on Minnesota...0/5. Anthony Davis and leading rebound go 5/5. Boris Said comes up, and the And 1 shows...I go bobsledding. 25/30 for the round...55 overall. STATS goes how did you know that? I said I wrote a paper on Boris at UCF. He said dude...you need to put that on Scaratings. I said no way...they're not interested in what I did in college. :ugeek:

Round 3 starts smoothly with John Tortorella, Miami Marlins, Kyrie Irving, Azarhara Munoz, and Jimmie Johnson. Van Gundy comes up and I go Orlando Magic. Hockey championships...Russia. Looking good so far. At this point, I focus on my beer and STATS says Brett Lawrie and Chelsea. Thanks buddy! Brandon Weeden comes up and after a split second, I say Cleveland Browns. 5/5 on all...first time I recall sweeping this round. 50/50 with a 105 for the game. Not a bad start.

Round 4 starts....1996 for 5/5 (STATS). 2005 starts the downward slide as we were on 2004 (thanks for nothing STATS!...or was it thanks STATS?)...2/5. 1970 was a little slip as we were on 1972 until the Sabres came up...4/5. 2009 starts sliding away from us as we were on 2008...1.5/5. 1931 continues the slide as we were on 1933...another 1.5/5. 1990 gets us back on track 5/5 (STATS). 1964 is another slip as we were on 1968 to begin with...4/5 (STATS). 1985 closes out the round on a high note...5/5. 28/40 for that round...game is at 133. STATS did win that round with a 29.

Round 5 starts with an easy Super Bowl wins and team matching...12/12. Match the golfers to their school? Right in STATS's wheelhouse...12/12. At this point I have to bust out laughing as STATS goes I'm glad they were all Americans and I was thinking of foreign players and immediately rattles off 3 players and what schools they played at. Dude...you know your golf! Racing Circuit and driver is another slam dunk for 12/12. At this point STATS goes, if we can just close out this round. I said dude...first rule about fight club! :o Sure enough...year the city hosted the World Cup...4/12. So we're sitting there talking about how it should have been country for the Olympics and not focusing on the next question. Opening day 2012 catchers and their teams come up and we switch two for 6/12. Decent round of 46/60, and game of 179. Guesstimating our bar average around 175...I say we're # 4...STATS says #3. Rankings come up and we're # 2...with Primetime taking the overall win.

Congrats to the usual cast of characters: BO, L PATO, RO, BUG, TNC, D MOB, JAGER, SPOTES, BLJAYS, and anyone else I didn't catch...and the usual hangouts: Primetime, West Park Station, Stadium Cafe, Walshs Bar, 86th St, Mezzazine, Elsas Cantina, Anthony's on the Blvd, Varsity Grill, JP Shakers, Hooters of Springfield, the myriad of BWWs, and anyone else I overlooked. There were a few locations I didn't recognize (will work on that): Trophys, Broken Barrel, and Sliders.

I'll update the west scores once the BT website is updated.

Last edited by UCFHCY on Tue May 29, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ - 5/28/12
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:16 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations to you UCFHCY on your stellar performance last night. Not forgetting the west feed Gambit and Shannon's Bayshore lap the field.

I'm a bit groggy from my afternoon nap but meet Ken (Kendo) Richard (TPG) Matt (Zippy) and Arthur as himself.

My board: 1) 21/30 2) 23/30 3) 47/50 4) 33/40 5) 30/60

In Round 1) Just did not know the Indy Car/Formula One driver nor Roger Rock plus another whiff.

In Round 2) Surprisingly well only missing except for Arthur Boris Said's dad Bob Said (Bobsled). We almost went there but went downhill skiing (What an appropriate answer)

In Round 3) Finally we start getting a rhythm bleeding just a bit.

In Round 4) the 1931 question stumped us. We all went 1932 to 1934.

In Round 5) The Miami Heat starting wailing on the Boston Celtics and if you don't look ahead you can't eliminate choices which I was slow doing. I go 12, 6, 4, 8, 0 totally whiffing on the catchers. Now I know the catcher for the Astros is Castro and Bob Said competed in the bobsled.

My lowest score in a while but I'm glad to see LPato at 178 still down in Ft. Myers, FL.

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 5/28/12
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 am 
Himself Fodder

Naturally nailed the golfers to the schools, but also had an advantage on a few of them.

I played D-1 college golf and my sophomore year we're in Tucson playing in Arizona's tourney at Tucson Country Club. Warming up on the range before the first round there's Phil Mickelson to my right and David Duval to my left. First time I've played against either. Shoot 72 the first round and kicked Phil's ass who shot 74! Duval did beat me however. Anyway, the leader after the first round was some no-name freshman from Arizona with a horrible swing. Those were the exact words of a rival coach. Naturally that freshman from Arizona was Jim Furyk.

Played against Steve Stricker at least once, I think at Indiana's tournament in Bloomington. Played against Bubba Watson on the mini-tours after he got out of Georgia. And my college coach's son played college golf with Tiger at Stanford. But of course everybody knew that one.

Have no personal golf connection with Keegan Bradley.

Sounds like had we played with UCFHCY's group we would have broken 200. In the last round in the heat of the moment we screwed up the SB's and the catchers costing us 12 points. No excuses. Nailed the World Cup sites and the auto racers. Nailed 2009 for 5.0 on all boxes as well as 1970 for 5.0 on all boxes. Basically we screwed up the easy stuff and nailed the stuff that probably gave others issues.

Although we did think 1934 on the Cards because Dizzy Dean was on the fucking Wheaties box in '35 after the Cards won the title.

BO

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Although we did think 1934 on the Cards because Dizzy Dean was on the fucking Wheaties box in '35 after the Cards won the title.

BO

Does anyone know who appeared on the Wheaties box in 1934?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:19 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Felt good to hit the first page of the leaderboard after a couple week hiatus. THought the participant numbers might be down a little on the Holiday weekend, but seemed like many people were able to play.

Round 1 - 27/30. Got the first nine, but then went with 43 for Vizquel instead of 45.

Round 2 - 28.7/30. Bled a little on Nick Swisher but got the remaining five questions all for 5 each.. Not sure how I knew about Said's father, but that little nugget was up there somewhere, so that helped the round.

Round 3 - 48.1. Pretty easy this week.

Round 4 - 24.2/30. Not stellar. Three 5.0's and a 4.0.

ROund 5 - 38/60. 12's on the Super Bowls and auto racing. 6's on the golfers and MLB catchers. Totally screwed up the World Cup hosts. Hell, I dont know the vast majority of World Cup winners, much less what country they were played in.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:41 pm 
Nonagenarian

Location: Tavern on Main, El Segundo, CA; also play at Mr.B's, East Side Mario's
UCFHCY wrote:
Boris Said comes up, and the And 1 shows...I go bobsledding. 25/30 for the round...55 overall. STATS goes how did you know that? I said I wrote a paper on Boris at UCF. He said dude...you need to put that on Scaratings. I said no way...they're not interested in what I did in college. :ugeek:

I want to know more about this paper and what class/major that paper was for! Fantastic.

Christina/HEELAX

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:26 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

tarheelinlax wrote:
UCFHCY wrote:
Boris Said comes up, and the And 1 shows...I go bobsledding. 25/30 for the round...55 overall. STATS goes how did you know that? I said I wrote a paper on Boris at UCF. He said dude...you need to put that on Scaratings. I said no way...they're not interested in what I did in college. :ugeek:

I want to know more about this paper and what class/major that paper was for! Fantastic.

Christina/HEELAX

My theory

"Hey, Boris, that cute coed wants my number - mind if I use your back to write it on this paper?" :mrgreen:

Well, UCFHCY did state "I wrote a paper on Boris" :?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

As I recall we got 5 points for my call on 1931 and missed everything else...
GAVV might have a slightly more accurate recap.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:51 am 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:
As I recall we got 5 points for my call on 1931 and missed everything else...
GAVV might have a slightly more accurate recap.

unfortunately our highlights for the day were 1931 and Bob Said the Bobsled

gavv

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:02 pm 
SF Pier

Hey strangers, long time no see!

Finally got to play a complete SIQ game Monday, glad to see so many of the "old" names are still making the board.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

HOMER wrote:

Finally got to play a complete SIQ game Monday, glad to see so many of the "old" names are still making the board.

You have been gone so long that you might not know that you only saw part of the country in that game. The rest of us get to play repeats against 5s of people.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:43 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Geez...I guess STATS (DJ) was right...y'all do want to know what my college life was like :shock: :lol: :oops: :P :) :D :o

So I'm coming up on my last semester at UCF, and I need to take two more courses to graduate...one is an elective of my choice, and the other is the capstone course (more on this course later). In looking at my options and based on the time offerings of these classes, the only thing that fit my schedule was some weirdly named class entitled "It's all about Boris". At first I didn't want to sign up for it as it was a freshman level course (course name in the catalog was Boris101). The more I thought about it, I said hey...I deserve an easy class to go out with. Then I got the syllabus! :roll: So much for an easy class!! Each week was dedicated to a different Boris...so I know all about Yeltsin, Pasternak, Karloff, Spassky, Badanov, Arapov, Blank, Williams, and Sagal. For our final exam, we had to write a 5 page paper on one of the subjects we had studied in the course. Being a sports nut, my choices came down to Boris Becker, or Boris Said. Growing up I was big in to tennis...so I was leaning towards Becker. The more I thought about it...could I really write 5 pages on Becker? I mean how wordy could I be describing his 6 Grand Slam Championships? As my NASCAR appreciation was growing, my paper started with a young Boris from Carlsbad, California. Little did I know how the paths would cross all these years later at a bar playing Buzztime Trivia SIQ. 8-) 9 pages later...my closing line was "With Boris's drive and determination, the only question is will he enjoy the same level of success and fame as his dad, former U.S. Olympic bobsledder Bob Said? My gut is to look for him in victory lane or on the podium if he follows in his father's footsteps!

Thanks to PENGWN for jarring my memory on the cute coed. Before we turned our papers in, we had to review them our sub-teams in class. After reading mine, I received the number of the cute co-ed...something about coming over and helping her with her paper...or something like that :ugeek:

As for the capstone class, it was a resume writing class with Dr. George O' Leary... :geek:

pengwn wrote:
tarheelinlax wrote:

Christina/HEELAX

My theory

"Hey, Boris, that cute coed wants my number - mind if I use your back to write it on this paper?" :mrgreen:

Well, UCFHCY did state "I wrote a paper on Boris" :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:38 pm 
SF Pier

lewser wrote:
HOMER wrote:

You have been gone so long that you might not know that you only saw part of the country in that game. The rest of us get to play repeats against 5s of people.

I've been paying attention to all that wacky crap. I'll leave that subject to its own thread.

Hope everyone is doing well.