New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ 6/4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Not sure if UCFHCY played last night though I did see STATS on the leaderboard so I'll lead off with a congratulations to BO and Stadium Cafe for their #1 individual and bar ranking last night. An honorable mention to HEELAX and Buffalo Wild Wings of Torrance, CA for distancing themselves from the West Region.

A challenging, well written game for Richard (TPG) Ken (Kendo) Eric (SLAM) and his wife Kim (Scots) at Hooter's in Tallahassee, FL. A parking lot full of Vintage Mustangs awaited as I pulled in. Richard's granddaughter Amber was our esteemed guest.

My Box:

Round 1) 27/30. We had no clue on Gerald Ford Field and wrongly guessed TCU over SMU.

Round 2) 16/30. We whiffed on the second half of Matt Holliday's college coaching Dad's team, Syracuse instead of Oklahoma State. Joe Montana, three time Super Bowl MVP, was drafted in the third round, not the second round.

Round 3) 40.3/50. One of my letters disappeared on one question and I went Greece for some reason instead of Ukraine for the site of Euro 2012 before getting 2.7.

Round 4) 32/40. Bleeding a point here and there but botching TJ Ford going 2007 instead of 2003 even freezing up on the Red Sox losing the ALCS on a home run. (They won the World Series in 2007. How could I forget Aaron Boone's heroics?)

Round 5) 46/60. I go 12, 2, 8, 12, 12. College conferences, (I misread the second matching question, total hits, not batting averages) Decades of the boxing champs, once again I don't look ahead and pick Jersey Joe Walcott for the 1890's instead of Jim Corbett, matching the 1998 NFL draft pick with his team, and World Cup Soccer again for the last matching question but I know what country won when. France 1998, Brazil 1958, Argentina 1978, London 1966, and Italy 1938.

Richard wins the game, we rank #8 and his granddaughter says she wants to come back next week.

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ 6/4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:17 am 
Himself Fodder

Last night was just one of those nights where almost everything hits, and the top box was the recipient of every split except one. Scott showed up which is huge although Alex wasn't there.

Round 1: Split on Algarve Cup and an early Q. 4 boxes with 30.0.

Round 2: I suggest Holliday immediately and we quickly confirm the three teams, then DJR said he was pretty sure his dad was at Okie State. Oosthuizen was a yawner. Scott immediately precalls Montana was drafted in round 3. My good box bled 0.2 on Okie State. At this point we had a perfect box. Playing solo I would have missed Okie State and Montana, thought Joe was drafted even later.

Round 3: Only blood was Orlando Magic, 4.5 on my good box. 109.3 through 3 rounds.

Round 4: Split 65 and 66 on Rocky, other clues were no help and 65 hits on good box. 5.0 all around on Johnny Miller at Birkdale in 76. 5.0 on Gretzky traded to Kings in 88, wasn't positive initially though. 5.0 on Koss in 94. 4.0 on Nicholas wins U.S. Open in 97, one of my best golf friends competed against and was good friends with her when she was an amateur. 5.0 on Vick drafted in 01. Split 02 and 03, was nearly sure at the end it was 03 but no reason to switch that late, 1.5 partial points on good box. 5.0 on Dustin in 08, unsure initially but confirmed with Tiger at Torrey Pines. 35.5 on good box, 144.8 through 4 round.

Round 5: 12.0 all around on basketball conferences although we weren't 100% about the two western ones. Baseball hits was a biggie, basically wagged Speaker at #5 initially, knew Aaron was high but knew Rose and Cobb were 1-2 so slotted him #3. Musial then fell into the 4 slot and they all hit. Only one box gets 12.0. Scott called all the boxers while yawning, I admittedly only knew Spinks, just sat there and punched the appropriate buttons. NFL draft picks were no trouble for anybody. At some point had memorized the World Cup winners and retrieved them with no trouble. 12.0 all around. 60.0 on good box, 204.8 total.

Just one of those near-perfect nights, they asked some difficult stuff we knew. But more importantly, almost every educated guess came in. I admitted above when we weren't sure about answers, and there were quite a few. Don't think Scott will be there the next couple of weeks so I doubt we'll be throwing up any jaw-droppers during that time.

BO

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ 6/4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:41 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Thanks for starting things off HUNK...was in a training class all day yesterday. Congrats to BO and his krewe on a great night! Funny thing is...on our leaderboard, STATS (DJ) and I saw Stadium Cafe in the #1 slot with a 190.8 average...but the #1 individual score was MONARCH at BWW with a 182.8...so we weren't sure what was going on. Was that b/c BO crossed the 200 point threshold?

First round...I told STATS wrong on Frank Francisco (Reds over Mets...thinking of maybe Francisco Cordero?)...but rebounded on the racecar driver (IndyCar). 27/30.

Second round, I was slow on Louis Ousthuizen (4.8/5) as STATS is rattling off his tournament win, year, course, and nationality. And 1 for 5/5. A little slow on Matt Holiday (4.0/5)...then STATS (Oklahoma State) and I (Clemson) split on where his dad coached. STATS got Joe Montana (5/5) and I got the round (5/5). 23.8/30 with a box of 50.8.

Third round starts smoothly...Luke Donald, Cincinnati Reds, Dario Franchitti, Detroit Lions all 5/5. Martin Brodeur trips me up as I switch the E and U, and STATS had to correct me...1.9/5 by the time I get it right. Texas Rangers gets me back on track 5/5. Bleed on Ukraine (2/5). I tell STATS Orlando Magic (5/5) and Charlotte Motor Speedway (5/5). I get Chris Sale out..but the E doesn't register on my box...3.7/5 by the time I get it correct. 42.6/50 for the round...93.4 overall.

Fourth round...1994 (STATS thought based on the Olympics, I confirmed on Gordon) for 5/5. 2008 was 4/5 on 2006, 1976 (thanks STATS!) 5/5, 2003 was 3/5 as we were on 2001 until Aaron Boone, 1988 3/5 on 1989, 1997 3/5 on 1995, 1965 2/5 on 1962 until Jean Beliveau, and 2001 5/5. 30/40 that round...123.4 overall.

Fifth Round starts easy with the basketball schools to their conference 12/12. All time hit leader to their spot on the top 5...we swap Aaron and Musial 6/12. Boxing Champion to decade we swap Carnera and Walcott 6/12. 1998 NFL draft picks is a slam dunk (glad I could help STATS...does that mean I can come back next week?) 12/12. World Cup winner with the year was all STATS 12/12. Round of 48/60...overall 171.4.

STATS has a 182 and he says that's a medal...just not sure which one. I don't say anything based on how my picks went that night. Rankings come up...and he's got himself a silver (well...based on the rankings we saw Monday night). Nicely done sir.

Congrats to the usual suspects BO (#1 individual and bar), GAVV, MEGUMI, ROC, TOPH, JETS, LAWSON, TPG, O WLRG, OUCH, and any others I missed...and usual locations Stadium Cafe, 86th St, Runyons, BWW in Kent, Broken Barrel, JP Shakers, Hooters of Tallahassee, Hooters of Springfield, Slap-Shotz, Quaker Steak & Lube, Trophys, and the myriad of BWWs....and anyone I missed.