New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 6/11/12
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:51 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Congrats to SPOTES and the 86th St gang on the individual and bar wins last night...impressive scores for a challenging game! After the third round, we invited a visitor who was sitting at the bar by himself over to join us...so DR ROB who plays out of Varsity Club in Clearwater joined us for the last two rounds.

First round, with a couple of well-educated guesses (ok maybe lucky)...30/30. Second round starts...STATS (DJ) says Willie Stargell but I was already on Jack Clark. Once the picture came up, I quickly switched (4/5). HRs I went with 426...STATS was on 448...both 0/5. Phil Esposito 5/5)...I was on Chicago for 5/5...but I think STATS went Canadians. Ricky Rubio for 5/5...and guessed 2009 for another 5/5. 24/30 for the round...54/60 for the game. Decent start.

Third round starts good with 5/5 on Texas Rangers and Scott Dixon. A little slow on Detroit Pistons 4/5. Jurgen Klinsmann gets us back on track 5/5. Melky Cabrera starts the slippage 2.5/5. Nicklas Lidstrom comes up and STATS goes U/M. Are you sure? Letter after letter...STATS goes A/M. 2.0/5 and STATS's bus gets me again. :evil: Houston Astros gets us rolling again 5/5. Kurt Busch is another 5/5...wait a second...the H hasn't registered! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Only bled .2 though...4.8/5. Johan Santana ends the round on a high note 5/5. Round score was 43.3/50...97.3/110 for the game. So much for that 200 game :roll:

Fourth round doesn't start well with a 3/5 on 2001 as we were on 2003. 1995 was 5/5. 2007 was only 0.2 as we bumbled our way to 2006 once Patrick Willis (my bad STATS) came up...from 2001. 1981 is another glorious 0.2/5 as we were on 1984. 1968 gets us back on track 5/5 (thanks STATS and the Raiders/GB Super Bowl question). 2004 slips our minds as we start on 2002...3/5. 1996 ends the round on a high note...5/5. Only 26.4/40 for the round...123.7/150 for the game. At this point, DR ROB is kicking back the rum and cokes (or whatever he was drinking) at a pretty good clip. Can we finish strong and wind up with a respectable game?

Round 5 starts with matching figure skaters with the year...survey says....XXX. 2/12. School with colors? Slam dunk as I tell STATS and DR ROB I have this one...and they went straight across...12/12. Team with former stadium? STATS has it covered...another 12/12. I think this one went straight across too. Head coach with team in 2011? The other easy one in this round...12/12. Last question...can we finish strong? Blazers with their retired number...survey says...XXX. 4/12. Round is 42/60...finish the game with 165.7. We spend the next few minutes trying to figure out how we pressed the wrong number as STATS called out the names correct...so we should have had 6 instead of 4...as we did switch two. Oh well...another round beertender! :D At this point, STATS goes out on a limb and says we didn't medal. I said ya think? Where's that beertender at? STATS says I'd be around 11th or 12th. I said nope...20th...if I'm lucky. Rankings come up and sure enough...I'm sitting at #12. Good call STATS...why couldn't you have done that during the game!

Congrats to the usual suspects SPOTES, EL SID, ROB B, L PATO (welcome back to Tally), JIMBOB, UOWEME, RO, DUKE, MEGUMI, CMONEY (not getting soft on us are you BO in letting others win?? :lol: ), and anyone else I may have missed...and the usual locations: 86th St, Hooters of Tallahassee, Heroes, JP Shakers, Mad River, Hooters of Springfield, Primetime, Stadium Cafe, Walshs Bar & Grill, Slap-Shotz, End Zone, the host of BWWs, and anyone else I missed. Will check the West results when they're up.

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 6/11/12
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:12 am 
Himself Fodder

UCFHCY wrote:
CMONEY (not getting soft on us are you BO in letting others win?? :lol: )

Actually, I did not let somebody else win. Lost the coin flip on the tie! :D He split one of the years correct for 5.0 when the rest of us had no better than 1.5.

Helluva game by the Indy guys, is always interesting to see what others know and don't know. 55 point turn around between our two teams compared to last week.

BO

Last edited by -BO- on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Yes it was good to have Jorge (L Pato) back in Tallahassee. Richard (TPG) Eric (SLAM) and his wife Kim (Scots) and Travis as himself having a day early Birthday celebration complete the team at Hooter's. We have Kayla for a waitress? How am I expected to concentrate?

My board:

Round 1) 30/30

Round 2) 24/30. I finally get talked into Phil Esposito being the first to score 60 NHL goals in a season and correctly pick Blackhawks as the second half of the question. On Willie Stargell's home run total I precall 475, the same as Dave Winfield.

Round 3) 40/50. Brevin Knight plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers, no wait, he plays for the Detroit Pistons now. Do you spell Jurgen Juergen or Jeurgen? Neither. L Pato spells it right thanks to his German heritage. Nicholas Lindstrom, no wait, it's Nicklas Lidstrom just retired from the Detroit Red Wings thanks to TPG. Who said spelling was easy?

Round 4) 31/40. My main misleading of the team was 1985 for when the Women's first Final Four was held, it's 1981, no 1982 from the 57-day NFL Strike, football strike 1982, baseball strike 1981. We only get 2 points but my box doesn't change and I only get .2 for 1981.

Round 5) We flip-flop Carol Heiss and Dick Button, again TPG was right and I overrode him. The next three questions are right across from each other. L Pato incredibly guesses correctly all the Portland Trail Blazers with their jersey numbers and wins the game on the last question. I go 6, 12, 12, 12, 2 for 169.7 total.

We'll take #2 after ranking after ranking as low as #15 in May. L Pato says I know I'll have a message waiting from Spotes. Congratulations 86 th St. Pub, we can see your lofty scores were out there for the taking. We bled too much here and there to challenge you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 am 
Centenarian

Last night was an indication of what 86th St can do when it has its starting five on the floor (oh ok, its starting three). For the first time in many many moons, MKRCHD (last nite CHDRMK) was able to join spotes and I. He really knows his stuff and specializes in current/recent baseball (Melky!!), golf, and lots of 'current sportscenter' news. If only the final Q
was Atlanta Braves jersey #s instead of Trailblazers :).

First round 30/30 (cept Mike, he went the other way on Jordan Eberle, spotes and i were hesitant and unsure about hockey)

Profiles 30/30
Almost got drawn in to a Jack Clark, but stuck with Stargell, and trying to put a career home run total Q past spotes is not gonna happen
Getting hockey past our expert spotes? hah! (definite sarcasm). Fairly fortunate, got to Esposito easy enough, and went with Blackhawks because of Tony E.
Rubio we were pre-calling the draft class as the and-1 and went back n forth 09 & 10, but quickly got correctly to 09

Box Score 49.6/50 (spotes 49.7, CHDRMK 49.6)
bled .1 on Pistons (why the hell all the B Knights! Our trivia-addled brains were filled with Brevon and original Brandon Knights for our slowness ;) )
bled .3 on Lidstrom, as GAVV board failed to take the L on first punch.
CHRDMK makes the call of the night with Melky, our letters were LB. Fortunate on Lidstrom that the K in Nicklas came up fast as we weren't sure. Everything else was pretty cake

Overtime 33.5/40 (spotes 34.5, CHRDMK 37 )

I missed 1995 for 3 (spotes 4) once again i was one year off misremembering Carolina :).
spotes and I missed 2007 , went all the way with 2006 for 1.5 CHDRMK stuck with his correct 07 the whole way.
1996 I got for 3/5. CHDRMK got for 4, he correctly got us there. I remembered MLS started as a requirement for the US
to have gotten the '94 world cup but wasn't thinking how much later it started.

btw, while spotes was on a smoke break pre-game btw (86th St now smoke free with the rest of Indy as of Jun 1), I semi-joked to Mike, 'I think we should hang a one-ninety on em'. Mainly joking since we never have this 'full crew' together.

Match Point 52/60 (spotes 54/60, CHDRMK 52/60)
first 4 perfect. And we note that questions 2 & 3 the answers were both 12345 which we don't ever remember happening even once. Got to the trailblazers Q. ouch. so close to 200. knew Walton, CHDRMK and I only get Lionel Hollins the rest of the way, spotes gets Lucas , but mixes up the final 2 players (jersey number # to spite spotes at the end!), to get his 198.2.

Overall a combination of our best lineup, and fortunate Qs that didn't go too far into left field. Usually one of those 'career rebound totals for this one random stiff of this group of 5' Profiles and-1 questions would get us. And we were dreading some kind of Belmont winner matched with jockey/trainer matching Q.

gavv

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, with the year almost half over, we have a new leader for trivia-related text of the year.
From BO after seeing the national scores:
"Holy crap. I really pissed you off last week!"