New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 6/18/12
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:10 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Congrats to HUNK and the Tallahassee krewe on the overall win last night...and third place individually! Congrats to TBREZY and the Walsh's krewe on the overall individual win last night. So STATS (DJ) calls me and leaves me a voicemail at 3:00 yesterday saying HUTCH (David) can play tonight...but can't make it to Riverview, and wants to see if I'll drive down to University BWW. I say sure...thinking the three of us should be able to put up a top score (that's what I get for thinking! :oops: ). Also joining us is STATS's buddy RUEZIM (Gary).

First round comes up and is going smoothly til Ray Scott comes up. HUTCH and STATS go with NFL...rest of us NBA. Last question got us as HUTCH said T.J. Ford was active. STATS and RUEZIM thought that sounded good...but I thought he was retired. My fault for not saying anything...27/30.

Second round...NFL HOF receiver? RUEZIM calls Lofton from the choices...but I'm slow to switch from Cris Carter...2/5. What team did he not play for? I got 49ers...though we had a hesitation with the Eagles. 5/5. HUTCH calls McCann on the 2003 All-star MVP...and a gimme for the FUP...5/5 on both. Footballer of the year...Lionel Messi...5/5. Then we try to figure out where he's playing. HUTCH or STATs (I forget) says Real Madrid. It's up there...so we go with it for a big fat 0...as it was FC Barcelona. 22/30 on the round...49/60 overall...so much for the 200 game. :roll:

Third round starts smoothly....Seattle Mariners, Maria Sharapova, Jonathan Quick, Union Rags all 5/5. A little slow on Canadian Grand Prix...4.4/5. Miami Heat...5/5. Very slow on Andre Ethier...2.7/5. Dustin Johnson...5/5. Then my spelling skillz come out as I say Cleveland Indians and proceed to press CI. HUTCH corrects me that it's CA...4.5/5 by the time I get it corrected. Rafael Nadal closes it out 5/5. 46.6/50 for the round...95.6/110 for the game.

Year round...we're on 1995 before switching to 1993...2/5. 2005 we take a big fat 0 on as we were on 2003 til Tiger showed up...and STATS says 2000 (there's that bus that I've been waiting for!). 1983 is all STATS 5/5...maybe it's a mini-bus this week? 1989 is a late change from 1985...2/5. 2002 is another 5/5 thanks to STATS and Lleyton Hewitt...maybe just a van now? 1949 is another big fat 0 as we were on 1945. STATS nails the last two on the Duval and Raiders/Chargers clues...5/5 on both...24/40 for the round...119.6 on the game. At this point HUTCH doesn't think we're doing too good with the box scores. STATS and I say if we can run the table on the last round...we should be fine.

First up is the record totals for baseball...12/12. Next up is Daytona 500 winners...I was able to get 12/12...but was slow in getting Cale Yarborough out for the 1970s...so everyone else only got 8 on this question. :( :x :( :x Goalies was 12/12 as I was able to get the Rangers goalie out in time for everyone to hit it. School with their title year...12/12. Olympic event to its sport...12/12. 60/60 for the round...179.6 overall.

As we're waiting for the rankings...I say we'll be top 5. Rankings come up...and we're # 2...just behind Tallahassee. I say sorry guys...I cost us a #1 by not saying retired on TJ Ford and being slow on Yarborough. They say don't worry about it...next round is on you. I say ok...but wait...y'all have already cashed out! :ugeek:

Congrats to the usual suspects...HUNK, MONARC, UOWEME, SPOTES, BLJAYS, HEELS, BO, JETS, and BEERMN...and anyone else I missed...and the usual locations...Hooters of Tallahassee, Walshs, JP Shakers, 86th St, Stadium Cafe, Primetime, BWW Bloomington, Runyon's, Hooters of Springfield, Slapshotz, Broken Barrel, End Zone, Quaker Steak, and anyone else I missed. I'll look for the west feed later...

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 6/18/12
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thank you UCFHCY and congratulations on you and your team's stellar effort. Richard (TPG) Jorge (L Pato) and the rest of the team pass on the last chance to play Sports IQ at Varsity Grill after playing every Monday in May and leave the venue to the WPT Poker Players. Jorge and I also discover our five-week separation made us not afraid to go against the team, almost combatitive with one another.

My box:

Round 1) 30/30. Richard calls Jason Bay for 2003 Rookie of the Year and Jorge and I sternly say NO, Angel Berroa, Bay was in the National League then. I sternly correct Jorge and Richard on Ray Scott saying I remember the name as an NFL announcer on CBS in the early '70's but I'm going NBA.

Round 2) 20.3/30. We draw blanks on James Lofton I get .3 after eliminating everyone else. Richard says he didn't play for his beloved Eagles and Jorge says he did play for the '49ers. We all whiff but nail the rest of the round.

Round 3) 45.6/50. Jorge and Richard both say Lewis Hamilton won the Montreal Grand Prix as I'm saying NO, Canadian, but the N and A match, could they be right? The C comes up and I'm right. It was in Montreal though.

Round 4) 33/40. A point or two here and there but the last question has us all thinking 1974 or 1975, not 1978 until we only get 2.0. I knew Ponder won the Kentucky Derby the year before or after Citation in 1948 and correctly guess 1949.

Round 5) 52/60 for a 180.9 total. Jorge tongue lashes me that 225 is singles, not hits. Once again I don't read the question correctly or look ahead in time. It gets me on the last question also as I don't know why I always associate Glenn Hall with the Rangers but it's the Blues darn it. I apologize to Jorge and Richard and we correctly match the rest.

8, 12, 12, 12, 8 for the last round.

After a few tough weeks a challenging well written game but more to the team's strengths than weaknesses and we rank #1 in a photo finish that could have gone either way to three or four teams. See everyone again next week.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:02 am 
Himself Fodder

Split a couple in round 1 but had several boxes perfect, we did know T.J. Ford had retired.

Got Lofton for at least 4.0, split Eagles and Niners. Got McCann for at least 4.0. Got Messi.

Slow on Ethier for no good reason. On the Canadian Grand Prix the first letter given was N in the third slot so I called Montreal, we corrected for 4.0 or so.

Not a very good year round, 47 instead of 49 even though I should have known from watching Invincible. But we were on 47 from the get go so the sucky partial points weren't bad. The Tiger clue was horrible considering he won the British in 2000,2005,2006, but we were already on 2005.

We had the knowledge to ace the last round and did not. Swapped Foyt and Mario. Read hits for singles. Blanked on Olaf Kolzig. Just stupid stuff. Had never heard of Canadian Pairs and Star but since rowing was definitely Cox Pairs, canoeing had to be Canadian which left Star for yachting.

We played poorly and didn't deserve to win. And that's exactly what happened.

Last edited by -BO- on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:25 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Interesting but I just noted two of us say you matched Cale Yarborough with the 1970's decade winner of the Daytona 500. At Hooter's in Tallahassee we were given A.J. Foyt as the choice (He won in 1972). Does this happen often?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 am 
Himself Fodder

Hunk wrote:
Interesting but I just noted two of us say you matched Cale Yarborough with the 1970's decade winner of the Daytona 500. At Hooter's in Tallahassee we were given A.J. Foyt as the choice (He won in 1972). Does this happen often?

My bad, it was Foyt. Most of the time all the drivers just kind of run together for me.

For the record, my two worst categories are Nascar and hockey. And there were back to back Q's on those in the matching round!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:06 am 
U > 100 * 2

-BO- wrote:
The Tiger clue was horrible considering he won the British in 2000,2005,2006, but we were already on 2005.

As I have said a few times before, my biggest issue with this game is the lazy writing in the year round. The writer clearly chooses the year before the clues ("Haven't done a 70s one yet... let's do 1973!"), and then arbitrarily Googles winners of certain events in that particular year, regardless of if they are insignificant ("Hmm, just did the Masters winner, let's choose a harder one for the second clue, how about Dick Wilmarth wins Iditarod?!") or if they are completely unhelpful ("Haven't had a basketball clue yet this round, how about Knicks win NBA title?").

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:09 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Yeah...it was Foyt...I was slowing writing down my thoughts...and after the next question...couldn't quite remember...so I went with Yarborough instead of Foyt...sorry for throwing you and Bo off :oops:

-BO- wrote:
Hunk wrote:

My bad, it was Foyt. Most of the time all the drivers just kind of run together for me.

For the record, my two worst categories are Nascar and hockey. And there were back to back Q's on those in the matching round!