New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 6/25/12
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:34 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Congrats to L PATO (Jorge) and the rest of the Tallahassee krewe on the individual and overall wins last night. Looking at the radar, it looked like Debby was really pounding y'all...so we weren't sure if you were going to make it out or not. Hope she doesn't cause too much damage up there and hope y'all are safe.

So STATS (DJ) calls me about 2:30 and says HUTCH (David) wants to come out and play, but it'd have to be at University BWW. I'm thinking to myself...as much as I like playing with HUTCH...do I really want to travel far in this weather? Not really...but I decide (more on that later) to travel down and meet up with HUTCH and STATS. RUEZIM (Gary) is nowhere to be found...shocker... :o ...but we are joined by HUTCH's son Josh, who is starting his SIQ training 8-)

First round is going smoothly til Jack Trice Field...hmmm...Rutgers or Iowa State...that is the question. HUTCH goes I think it's Rutgers....Rutgers goes away :twisted: I guess HUTCH took over the driving duties of STATS's bus. Nail last part of the round...27/30.

Round 2 starts...and we're slow landing on Gary Payton...2.5/5. And 1...I say he's The Glove...played at Seattle, Miami...HUTCH adds L.A....STATS adds Oregon St. Glove 5/5. ROY Jackie Robinson is called by STATS...5/5. Based on the schools listed...we went with UCLA...5/5. We're talking about what the last category will be...football, hockey, golf, tennis maybe. Right before the question comes up...I go racing! Sure enough...now the question is which driver is it. I go Biffle...HUTCH agrees...STATS goes with us as he looks to us for NASCAR. 3M comes up in the picture...BINGO! 5/5. What's next? Drives for Roush...drives a Ford...sponsors maybe? Ford it is...5/5. 27.5/30 for the round...54.5/60. At this point STATS talks about Fight Club with the good game we're having...I guess the bus is back under his control! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Round 3 starts with Matt Cain's perfect game...which STATS just used as an example in explaining how the round worked to Josh. Nice precall sir! 5/5. Quicken Loans stumped us for 1.7/5. Next up is Webb Simpson...but the misspelling of the name through us off...3.3/5. Thanks Buzztime! Charlotte Bobcats and Minnesota Lynx (thanks for looking at the WNBA standings STATS!). Aaron Hill gets us for a little...2.5/5...though STATS is busy talking and doesn't hear me say A/R...and goes R/R. Way to hurt the bar average amigo! :lol: A little slow on Las Vegas...as we were thinking about where they just raced...4.8/5. Robert Kraft took us a while...2.2/5. Atlanta Braves was 5/5...though I take over driving the bus and am slow telling the table. Portugal 5/5 to end the round. 39.2/50 for the round...93.7 for the game. Fight Club always gets you!

Round 4 starts with 1992...2/5. STATS said 1993...then went 1991 with the North Stars clue. 1992 is the final choice...but STATS is adamant it was 1991. As timmy noted in the Incorrect Questions forum...this year was incorrect Thanks Buzztime! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: STATS stayed adamant until the end of the round. 2006 was 5/5 (STATS). 1973 gets us as we were on 1971...though STATS knew it was early 70s 2/5. 2009 got us as were on 2006 (STATS)...before switching to 2008. 1/5. Maybe next time I'll get the Crabtree year right as it's bit me in the you-know-what before :oops: STATS nails 1980, 1986, and 1969...5/5. 2000 ends a pathetic round with a big fat 0 as we were on 2003 before going to 2004. 25/40 for the round...118.7 for the game. Dang Fight Club!!

Last round...can we end strong? Year with Triple Crown winner...12/12 thanks to STATS. HUTCH and I were saying we'd have gotten 3 definitely...guessing on the other two. STATS says there's only 11 TC winners...you should know all of them. Thanks sensei! Retired number with the player...6/12 as we switch Gibson and Campanella. WHA team with their nickname? I've blown this before...and blew it again...4/12. :evil: :oops: :o :evil: :oops: :o Mental note to self...learn your WHA teams! Golfer with money title...STATS and HUTCH are seeing who can get the answer out first...12/12. HOF'ers with their sport...12/12 to end the game on a high note. 46/60 for the round...164.7 for the game.

Waiting for the rankings to come up...STATS and HUTCH say we're top 5...with 86th St. and Walsh's above us. At this point...we're still not sure if the Tallahassee krewe has braved the conditions or not. Rankings come up and it's a sweep for the Tallahasse krewe...Debby be damned! Nice work y'all! We'll take our 6th spot and order another round. :ugeek: Congrats to the usual suspects L PATO, BUG, GAS OJ, SPOTES, IMBIBE, BO, RO, TNC, MEGUMI, TUEBOR, MONARC, BADGER, and anyone else I missed. A who's who of bars at the top...Hooters of Tallahassee, Heroes, JP Shakers, 86th St., Stadium Cafe, Mad River, West Park, Slapshotz, Kent BWW, Walshs Bar & Grill, Broken Barrel, Underog, Hooters of Springfield, End Zone, Teasers, The Arena, the myriad of BWWs, and anyone else I missed. I'll look at the west feed when it's updated. Stay dry y'all!

Edited --> P.S. Almost forgot the more on that later part. I get back on the interstate heading north towards my humble abode...and 5 minutes into my trip I hear thump...thump...thump. Of all days...I knew I should have stayed local! In the middle of nowhere...trying to change a tire in the dark...it's amazing how many trucks (and other cars) do not move a lane if you have your flashes on. Thanks to Debby...I was getting sprayed every time a truck went by. Finally get it changed and get back on the road...and I have a voicemail from STATS. "You know that Countdown game I was playing when you left?" Yeah...I remember it. "I hadn't missed a question...so I decided to let it ride and stick it out...and rode it to a perfect game!" Congrats buddy...I just got done changing my flat tire. "You got a flat? Need me to come get you?" Now you offer...now that I'm done! Thanks buddy! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Congrats on your perfecto!

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 6/25/12
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:10 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Thank you very much UCFHCY. Yes it's been a steady drizzle and spray since Saturday afternoon and we won't see the sun again before Thursday. Richard and I were more than ready to leave work around 6:30 for Sports IQ. Being careful with the ponding in the grooves in the road not to hydroplane we meet right before the 7:00 PM Countdown game.

My box:

Round 1) 30/30. We educatedly guess the smaller number for the capacity of Detroit's Comerica Park.

Round 2) 20.8/30. Inexplicably two answers don't register on my box. I log onto another box but am caught again
during the Box Score Round. Jorge (L Pato) and Richard (TPG) doubt my answer that Greg Biffle drove
a Ford but stick with me and are rewarded.

Round 3) 45.7/30. Jorge loses his perfect game, a la Matt Cain on the George Halas question. We're a little late with
Robert Kraft. Richard quips what's that award for, being the oldest owner? I can't believe the flack I
get from everyone knowing the Minnesota Lynx won their first 10 WNBA games but I remember reading
the Atlanta Dream was their 10th win.

Round 4) 24/40. Jorge's 29 bests me as I'm just a bit off on Michael Jordan, Barbaro, A-Rod, Zack Greinke, etc. on what
is normally my best round.

Round 5) 52/60. I go 12, 4, 12, 12, 12. We're never going to me known as the Jersey Boys only getting Don Drysdale
and Kirby Puckett right. I apologize to the team for misleading them on the others.

I total 172.5 and tell Jorge if he's not #1 he misses a good chance. He is and we are for the second week in a row. Now it's my turn to be gone next week, to Orlando with my lovely wife La Nora but I leave the team in good hands as they prepare for the beginning of next month's Smartest Bar Competition. I may or may not be back in time for the 9th.

We all laugh at the night Arthur won Sports at Varsity Grill and Jorge got a flat tire on the way home. Ironic that it happened to you also, UCFHCY.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 am 
Himself Fodder

Round 1, split on Comerica and the soccer player. Recognized Trice so correctly assumed it was a Big 8 school. For the record, I think the stadium attendance Q's are BS.

Round 2, no problems on Payton or Jackie. I split Biffle but missed the follow up on all boxes.

Round 3, Bled less than a point on Kraft and Quicken Loans, probably a total point on Las Vegas. No worries with the others. Yes, Webb Simpson's first name was misspelled, but I honestly can't see how that would cause anybody to lose points. Pretty obvious the mistake they made and unfortunately not surprising.

Round 4, Threw away a free 5 points on Owens, no excuses. Missed Barbaro and was on 2009 instead of 2008. Naturally nailed Tommy Aaron for 5. And A-Rod left Seattle on 12/12/2000, I remember that day well, there was a good TV show on that night.

Round 5, switched two of the WHA teams, otherwise perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Felt good to have a decent game again and be on first page of the post-game rankings after about 3 weeks of dismal performances.

Round 1 - 30/30. Had to guess at Comerica Park seating capacity. I hate those kind of questions. Just as bad as a couple years ago when they would ask foul line distances of stadiums. They can retire those kinds of questions.

Round 2 - 29.7/30. SLightly slow on Gary Payton first question. Otherwise no problem with the rest.

Round 3 - 42/50. Didnt know Aaron Hill one and also didnt know Robert Kraft one so some definte bleeds there.

Round 4 - 31/40. 5.0's on '06, '09, '80, '86, '69. 4.0 on '92. 2.0 on '73 (didnt get it until Knicks clue). 0.0 on '00 (was sitting on 03)

Round 5 - 38/60. Mixed up Omaha and Whirlaway for 6.0. Mixed up 2 golfers for 6.0. Only got Houston Aeros in the WHA one for 2.0. 12.0 on the baseball numbers and matching sport to athlete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Yes, Webb Simpson's first name was misspelled, but I honestly can't see how that would cause anybody to lose points. Pretty obvious the mistake they made and unfortunately not surprising.

I can easily explain how I lost a point or two on it.

First, I had to wait to see if they were referring to Webb Simpson or had a completely different answer up there that was meant for another question. I have no way of knowing if the error lies with the question or the answer.
Also, once Simpson starts filling in and the answer is confirmed, I still have no idea what letter they are looking for. Sure, odds are that they simply left off a "b", but it could be a programming issue that left off any of those four letters. As far as I know the "w" or "e" could be missing. Every single person that got this for 5 points did so by guessing correctly. Because that's all it could be; a complete guess. There's a reason why I play trivia instead of the lottery... :mrgreen:
I'm not big on trivia "leaps of faith". I always pause to weigh all factors given conflicting info or lack of proper question parameters.
This round is flawed for so many reasons, but bad editing makes it damn near impossible.

Oh, I forgot to mention the other reason I missed points. I'm an idiot... :(