New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sports IQ East - 7/23/12
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:25 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

So STATS (DJ) emails me about my British Open winnings, and says oh yeah...HUTCH (David) called and said he's available to play tonight...can I make it down to University BWW? Sure...why not...let's see what we can get done. Get down there and RUEZIM (Gary) has joined us as well.

Round 1...Lance Alworth comes up and STATS goes Bambi! Dude...stop watching the Disney movies...but thanks for the 3 points. Jeff Suppan question comes up...HUTCH goes True. Really? You come back from vacation and can't even wait for us to get through the first round before taking control of the bus? :lol: HUTCH makes up for it on question 5 I believe it was...27/30 for the round.

2nd round...Udonis Haslem was slow 4.0/5.0...started on Ben Wallace til saw the Heat symbol. Where'd he start? HUTCH goes NY...but corrects himself with the Heat...3.2/5. Roger Bannister is easy....5/5. STATS and HUTCH say what year he did it....I say he was British right? What'd he become after? We were all over the place....Pediatrician, Politician, and Economist...and all wrong. 0/5. Mickey Mantle...I say it after a slight delay...4.8/5. Nickname? Commerce Commet...5/5. 22/30 for the round...49/60 for the game. As is usually the case after the third round...I say there goes our 200 game again. :roll:

3rd round...Melky Cabrera, Baltimore Ravens, Kyrie Irving, John Deere, and Kasey Kahne all 5/5. Cincinnati Reds was 2.1/5 as HUTCH is yapping in my ear ND. Really? Forget how to spell on your vacation? :lol: :lol: :lol: STATS gets the correction duly noted to salvage some points. Elvis Dumervil was only 4.4/5. Florida Panthers, Mike Trout, and Phoenix Suns (RUEZIM) all 5/5...47.2/50 for the round...96.2 for the game. On the last clue...apparently there is a newly discovered town with a basketball team named the Suns according to STATS as he enters Bhoenix Suns. Bhoenix? Really? Are you the mayor? :P

4th round...1994 was 1/5 as I was on 1993 and switched to 1992. 1991 was 5/5. 1966 was 1.5 as I was on 1967. 1985 was 0/5 as I was on 1988...even though STATS said 1985. OK mayor of Bhoenix...whatever you say :mrgreen: 2008 was 5/5 (STATS and HUTCH). 1979 was 5/5 (STATS), 1948 5/5 (STATS on Doak Walker), 2009 was 3/5...on 2008 until the golf clue. 25.5/40 on the round....121.7 overall.

Last round...can we salvage it? Sport with start...easy...12/12. NHL Trophy with player? Couple made you think...but another easy 12/12. School with basketball legend? 12/12...and yes HUTCH...Rick Barry did go to The U! Uniform # with the baseball player? Another easy 12/12...or so we thought. 24 for Tony Perez didn't register...so we only get 8/12. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: State with golf course? Slam dunk for STATS and HUTCH...12/12. 56/60 for the round....game of 177.7. Gotta luv all the 7's since my # is 77. RUEZIM leads us to the finish line with a score of 179.1. At this point Gary says he's sick of carrying us...at which point we all bust out laughing.

Waiting for the rankings...HUTCH says we're going to be 2 or 3...STATS says 3 or 4...I say 6 or 7...and RUEZIM says 2. Rankings come up and we're third...figured it'd be 86th and Tally...which it was. Not bad...definitely left a lot of points on the table. Congrats to SHMEKL and the 86th St krewe on the individual and location wins last night...nicely done! Usual suspects on the leaderboard: SHMEKL, ZIPPY, TNC, RO, BO, MONARC, SLOTEK, IDJT, SAKIC, MEGUMI, NYYANK, BUG, and anyone else I missed. Usual locations up there: 86th St, Hooters of Tallahassee, Stadium Cafe, Walshs Bar, JP Shakers, Mezzanine, Slap-shotz, Playmakers, Runyon's, Broken Barrel, BWW Kent, Primetime, Elsas Cantina, Blue Goose, BWW Woodridge, The Arena, BWW Creve Coeur, and anyone else I missed.

Finally got STATS to sign up for scaratings...now if only I can get HUTCH and RUEZIM. I'll look at the west feed once it's up. See y'all next week!

Post subject: Re: Sports IQ East - 7/23/12
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

UCFHCY wrote:
So STATS (DJ) emails me about my British Open winnings, and says oh yeah...HUTCH (David) called and said he's available to play tonight...can I make it down to University BWW? Sure...why not...let's see what we can get done. Get down there and RUEZIM (Gary) has joined us as well.

Round 1...Lance Alworth comes up and STATS goes Bambi! Dude...stop watching the Disney movies...but thanks for the 3 points. Jeff Suppan question comes up...HUTCH goes True. Really? You come back from vacation and can't even wait for us to get through the first round before taking control of the bus? :lol: HUTCH makes up for it on question 5 I believe it was...27/30 for the round.

2nd round...Udonis Haslem was slow 4.0/5.0...started on Ben Wallace til saw the Heat symbol. Where'd he start? HUTCH goes NY...but corrects himself with the Heat...3.2/5. Roger Bannister is easy....5/5. STATS and HUTCH say what year he did it....I say he was British right? What'd he become after? We were all over the place....Pediatrician, Politician, and Economist...and all wrong. 0/5. Mickey Mantle...I say it after a slight delay...4.8/5. Nickname? Commerce Commet...5/5. 22/30 for the round...49/60 for the game. As is usually the case after the third round...I say there goes our 200 game again. :roll:

3rd round...Melky Cabrera, Baltimore Ravens, Kyrie Irving, John Deere, and Kasey Kahne all 5/5. Cincinnati Reds was 2.1/5 as HUTCH is yapping in my ear ND. Really? Forget how to spell on your vacation? :lol: :lol: :lol: STATS gets the correction duly noted to salvage some points. Elvis Dumervil was only 4.4/5. Florida Panthers, Mike Trout, and Phoenix Suns (RUEZIM) all 5/5...47.2/50 for the round...96.2 for the game. On the last clue...apparently there is a newly discovered town with a basketball team named the Suns according to STATS as he enters Bhoenix Suns. Bhoenix? Really? Are you the mayor? :P

4th round...1994 was 1/5 as I was on 1993 and switched to 1992. 1991 was 5/5. 1966 was 1.5 as I was on 1967. 1985 was 0/5 as I was on 1988...even though STATS said 1985. OK mayor of Bhoenix...whatever you say :mrgreen: 2008 was 5/5 (STATS and HUTCH). 1979 was 5/5 (STATS), 1948 5/5 (STATS on Doak Walker), 2009 was 3/5...on 2008 until the golf clue. 25.5/40 on the round....121.7 overall.

Last round...can we salvage it? Sport with start...easy...12/12. NHL Trophy with player? Couple made you think...but another easy 12/12. School with basketball legend? 12/12...and yes HUTCH...Rick Barry did go to The U! Uniform # with the baseball player? Another easy 12/12...or so we thought. 24 for Tony Perez didn't register...so we only get 8/12. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: State with golf course? Slam dunk for STATS and HUTCH...12/12. 56/60 for the round....game of 177.7. Gotta luv all the 7's since my # is 77. RUEZIM leads us to the finish line with a score of 179.1. At this point Gary says he's sick of carrying us...at which point we all bust out laughing.

Waiting for the rankings...HUTCH says we're going to be 2 or 3...STATS says 3 or 4...I say 6 or 7...and RUEZIM says 2. Rankings come up and we're third...figured it'd be 86th and Tally...which it was. Not bad...definitely left a lot of points on the table. Congrats to SHMEKL and the 86th St krewe on the individual and location wins last night...nicely done! Usual suspects on the leaderboard: SHMEKL, ZIPPY, TNC, RO, BO, MONARC, SLOTEK, IDJT, SAKIC, MEGUMI, NYYANK, BUG, and anyone else I missed. Usual locations up there: 86th St, Hooters of Tallahassee, Stadium Cafe, Walshs Bar, JP Shakers, Mezzanine, Slap-shotz, Playmakers, Runyon's, Broken Barrel, BWW Kent, Primetime, Elsas Cantina, Blue Goose, BWW Woodridge, The Arena, BWW Creve Coeur, and anyone else I missed.

Finally got STATS to sign up for scaratings...now if only I can get HUTCH and RUEZIM. I'll look at the west feed once it's up. See y'all next week!

The more I read your reviews, UC, the more I like the cut of STATS' jib. Like me, it seems like a nice percentage of his mental sports highlights must be in black and white. :D
Thanks for the shout-out. Once again my SHMEKL board sneaks by me when I'm not looking.
If I'm calling out the jersey number answers, there's a good chance you guys are in trouble. :mrgreen:
Thank goodness Paul Kariya always seemed so gentlemanly...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

My strongest game in awhile. Most everything in the ol' wheelhouse last night. Even the hockey matching was doable this time. Only bad round for me was Years round which was a pedestrian 25.5. Thought I would catch up a few points on the Nation with the Bannister neurologist question. Was wondering out loud what the "And 1" would be. Lets see, it was May 1954. He went on to become a neurologist..........Bingo.

Round 1 - 27/30. Went Beckett over Suppan for the miss in this round.

Round 2 - 27/30. Didnt get get to Haslem until 2.0 points. Rest of the Round all 5.0s.

Round 3 - 46.2/50. Didnt get to Florida Panthers until very late, otherwise a very good round.

Round 4 - 25.5/40. 5.0's on '08, '09, '79. 3.0's on '48 and '85. 2.0's on '66 and'91. .5 on '94

Round 5 - 60/60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:33 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Ironic that "Clocks" by Coldplay is playing on satellite radio at Hooter's in Tallahassee, FL., as the Network Rankings come up and we see our clocks have been cleaned by 86th Street Pub. A challenging game but their score was there for the taking and they took it. Way to go Spotes, Gavv, and company. (Is there any company?)

My box:

Round 1) 30/30. I follow Richard's (TPG) lead on the Jeff Suppan question of false.

Round 2) 28/30. I thought everyone followed my lead of neurologist of Roger Bannister but everyone else went with Jorge
(L Pato) on Pediatrician. We all went Ben Wallace and then switched to Udonis Haslem on never making a
three point shot.

Round 3) 49.8/50. Eight 5.0's and two 4.9's.

Round 4) 30/40. I didn't get a single 4.0 but something like four 5.0's, two 2.0's, and two 3.0's. Seemed like every other question I was off a year before correcting. (i.e. Jean Beliveau was '65, not Roger Crozier)

Round 5) 50/60. Please no hockey or uniform number questions. Athletes are not driving a race car and wearing a helmet and firesuit therefore needing a number for recognition. I try to know enough hockey to be dangerous but I'd win the Lady Byng. I go 12, 6, 12, 8, 12. Zippy takes the lead as I flip-flop Messier and Federov and I inexplicably first hit 24 instead of 44 for Reggie Jackson for a 187.8 total. Matt's (Zippy) 188.2 is tops at our bar.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:47 am 
Centenarian

Hunk wrote:
Ironic that "Clocks" by Coldplay is playing on satellite radio at Hooter's in Tallahassee, FL., as the Network Rankings come up and we see our clocks have been cleaned by 86th Street Pub. A challenging game but their score was there for the taking and they took it. Way to go Spotes, Gavv, and company. (Is there any company?)

we had Steve and Mkrchd in as well as Cruizy and a visitor Harley in to play, and it's continued the odd pattern of when Mike (Mkrchd) shows up to play, Melky Cabrera is a spelling round question, precalled that one about an hour before :). 3 times he shows up in the last 3 months, 3 melky Qs :).

we actually missed 2 in round one, both the D Phillips and the darrell wallace jr. ones. we also blanked out the Haslem and-1 since we stupidly thought he came in to the league elsewhere :P. I ended with 49.2 in box score, bout a 32 in years (only whiff was 1966 for 1.5, others all bleeding whiff-lites ). in matching was glad Perez was first off in the jersey #s and Coffey first in the hockey awards as each time it gave us those extra split seconds to arraneg in our minds the rest of the answers. Mkrchd actually precalled the golf course/state was going to be a Q! very spooky, must be more of the power of Melky!

gavv

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The one negative aspect of having SIQ on a Monday night is that it makes it fairly prohibitive to try to vist another quality site and play with some of the national "ringers". I would love to schedule a trip to 86th St, or Stadium Cafe, or Torrey Pines, or even one of the highly ranked Florida sites, but until such time as I am able to successfully retire it will be difficlt!! Would require taking Monday and Tuesday both as vacation days,and at this point not so practical. Geographically I am not that far from Indianapolis and could do that as a driving trip wiithout to much trouble but again it comes down to the vacation days. Want to schedule a trip to Dallas to visit Dealey Plaza again as my wife has never seen it, and I havent been there since the late 80's. That would make a trip to Stadium very doable but again the Monday night aspect makes it logistically difficult. We do go to Vegas every year so could visit Lewser's site also but again are never there on a Monday!!! Decisions, decisions.............Would like to make somethign happen before Buzztime go down the tubes!! Will have to put some thought into this

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TCHCNB wrote:
The one negative aspect of having SIQ on a Monday night is that it makes it fairly prohibitive to try to vist another quality site and play with some of the national "ringers". I would love to schedule a trip to 86th St, or Stadium Cafe, or Torrey Pines, or even one of the highly ranked Florida sites, but until such time as I am able to successfully retire it will be difficlt!! Would require taking Monday and Tuesday both as vacation days,and at this point not so practical. Geographically I am not that far from Indianapolis and could do that as a driving trip wiithout to much trouble but again it comes down to the vacation days. Want to schedule a trip to Dallas to visit Dealey Plaza again as my wife has never seen it, and I havent been there since the late 80's. That would make a trip to Stadium very doable but again the Monday night aspect makes it logistically difficult. We do go to Vegas every year so could visit Lewser's site also but again are never there on a Monday!!! Decisions, decisions.............Would like to make somethign happen before Buzztime go down the tubes!! Will have to put some thought into this

It was worth the trip back when the sports games were back to back on Sunday/Monday and you could double dip.
We rarely played SIQ on Sundays back then but made the exception for visitors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I was a little miffed at the Bannister follow up question. I proudly precalled doctor, only to see two types of doctors listed among the choices. We of course picked the wrong one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:02 pm 
Himself Fodder

TCHCNB wrote:
The one negative aspect of having SIQ on a Monday night is that it makes it fairly prohibitive to try to vist another quality site and play with some of the national "ringers". I would love to schedule a trip to 86th St, or Stadium Cafe, or Torrey Pines,

You are aware that at the above sites f-bombs are apparently dropped with alarming regularity I'm assuming? :D

Regarding last night's game, split the pitching wins, screwed the pooch on the follow ups to Haslem and Bannister. Brain farted on the first two years, and reversed Messier and Federov. Surprised to see regulars miss 66 for Kauai King as in the past this was used many times usually in tandem with England wins World Cup.

On the 2009 year answer, they kind of gave it away because it was definitely very late in the decade and since 2008 had already been an answer you could eliminate that.

BO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:09 pm 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:

If I'm calling out the jersey number answers, there's a good chance you guys are in trouble. :mrgreen:

I think your great puzzler about Mr. Droppo Sat. night sapped my baseball knowledge - hopefully temporarily. I'm usually good with uniform #s, but flipped Perez and Banks. Also somehow thought Franco won his batting title in the late 90's. :roll: Lastly , quite sure Beckett tossup was a trick - but went true anyways (warning others of my indecision)...Thank goodness for hockey questions ( And Badger / Pepsi at my baah being avid golfers)..

Kinda liked the Smartest Baah game a lil' better last night anyways, though... :lol:

Last edited by sakictgif on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:
The one negative aspect of having SIQ on a Monday night is that it makes it fairly prohibitive to try to vist another quality site and play with some of the national "ringers". I would love to schedule a trip to 86th St, or Stadium Cafe, or Torrey Pines,

You are aware that at the above sites f-bombs are apparently dropped with alarming regularity I'm assuming? :D

Regarding last night's game, split the pitching wins, screwed the pooch on the follow ups to Haslem and Bannister. Brain farted on the first two years, and reversed Messier and Federov. Surprised to see regulars miss 66 for Kauai King as in the past this was used many times usually in tandem with England wins World Cup.

On the 2009 year answer, they kind of gave it away because it was definitely very late in the decade and since 2008 had already been an answer you could eliminate that.

BO

I am aware of reports of some "unpleasantness", yes!! All I can say is I would rely on the fact that I have completed 55 laps around the sun without ever getting f-bombed in a trivia bar. My attitude going in would be respectful and deferential regarding someone else's home turf, so I think I would fare fine!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:48 pm 
Himself Fodder

TCHCNB wrote:
I am aware of reports of some "unpleasantness", yes!! All I can say is I would rely on the fact that I have completed 55 laps around the sun without ever getting f-bombed in a trivia bar. My attitude going in would be respectful and deferential regarding someone else's home turf, so I think I would fare fine!!

After hearing that I can guarantee you'll get f-bombed if and when you visit Stadium just because! Out of respect I would apologize to your wife beforehand however. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:57 am 
Centenarian

Bonzo wrote:
I was a little miffed at the Bannister follow up question. I proudly precalled doctor, only to see two types of doctors listed among the choices. We of course picked the wrong one.

we were slightly perturbed as well, as spotes had said during the first Q that he was a doctor as we were thinking what could the and-1 be. Our reasoning came down to that the adjective in the question (was it prominent? can't remember) was much better/more commonly used with neurologist than pediatrician, rather than actually knowing what he practiced ^^.

gavv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:00 am 
Centenarian

TCHCNB wrote:
-BO- wrote:
TCHCNB wrote:

BO

actually at 86th St during SIQ you're more likely to hear an exclamation of 'Suck on THAT jersey numbers!' towards the monitor more than anything else :)

gavv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:27 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

While playing Showdown at Applebee's Killearn in Tallahassee, FL. last night when I saw the category round choice of "Sports Currents" I said Mkrchd is playing at 86th St. Pub tonight so it's got to be a Melky Cabrera question. Sure enough Melky Cabrera was named MVP of the MLB All-Star Game and plays for the (San Francisco Giants). The other Sports Current question was about the #1 NHL draft choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am 
Phosphorus

Greetings everyone! Before I begin my first post, I would like to say thanks to those who have allowed me to be here and to anyone who takes the time to read what I have to say.
Specifically, I am referring to Bradley (UCFHCY), whose weekly reviews and kind words have made for interesting reading at work on Tuesdays. :D

Having said that, I wanted to provide an explanation for the "Bhoenix Suns". This was entirely my fault. The question was "Who did Luis Scola sign with?" and I didn't know the answer. However there were only 4 letters in the second word so I looked at that and quickly deduced that it must the "Nets". The letters needed were the first and last letter of the first word so I concluded that the letters "B" and "N" for Brooklyn must be correct even though it had 8 letters and only 7 letters appeared in the clue. As I began to type in the letters, Gary said "Phoenix Suns" so I switched my answer. Apparently, I did not switch the first letter but did correctly type in the "X", leaving me with "BX" and the title of "Mayor of Bhoenix". I also did not check my screen to confirm that the correct answer was entered, a second mistake on the same question. I call this a double bogey, and the 5 points I lost felt like one.

I also wanted to comment on Bradley's weekly reviews, noting his generosity in describing my contributions to our weekly effort. Then again, keep in mind that Brad did take resume writing with Dr. George O'Leary while at UCF so he does know how to make someone look good. :o

I will try to pay attention to my round scores for reference and/or comparison. Round 1 - 27 points (missed Beckett/Suppan), Round 2 - about 20 points (missed Bannister occupation and partials on Haslem and Mantle), Round 3 - 44.5 points (almost perfect until "Bhoenix" ended round), Round 4 - around 27 points, Round 5 - 60 points (that's why they keep me around).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:56 am 
Phosphorus

UCFHCY wrote:
The more I read your reviews, UC, the more I like the cut of STATS' jib. Like me, it seems like a nice percentage of his mental sports highlights must be in black and white.

Hey SPOTES, thanks for the compliment. It's nice to think that people know who I am AND that they think that I am doing something right. Hopefully Brad (UCFHCY) and I can bring enough game to keep ourselves on the leaderboards. We enjoy the challenge of trying to be a top location and the competition we face to get there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:41 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

About time you post on these boards!!! Welcome!!

STATS wrote:
Greetings everyone! Before I begin my first post, I would like to say thanks to those who have allowed me to be here and to anyone who takes the time to read what I have to say.
Specifically, I am referring to Bradley (UCFHCY), whose weekly reviews and kind words have made for interesting reading at work on Tuesdays. :D

Well...I think it was P from Phoenix and N from Suns...so not sure where you're getting the BX from :lol: Though you did say the Brooklyn Nets while we were playing...I didn't get that in my notes...first thing to go is the memory right?? :oops:
STATS wrote:
Having said that, I wanted to provide an explanation for the "Bhoenix Suns". This was entirely my fault. The question was "Who did Luis Scola sign with?" and I didn't know the answer. However there were only 4 letters in the second word so I looked at that and quickly deduced that it must the "Nets". The letters needed were the first and last letter of the first word so I concluded that the letters "B" and "N" for Brooklyn must be correct even though it had 8 letters and only 7 letters appeared in the clue. As I began to type in the letters, Gary said "Phoenix Suns" so I switched my answer. Apparently, I did not switch the first letter but did correctly type in the "X", leaving me with "BX" and the title of "Mayor of Bhoenix". I also did not check my screen to confirm that the correct answer was entered, a second mistake on the same question. I call this a double bogey, and the 5 points I lost felt like one.

Trust me buddy...you need ALL the help you can get!! :P

STATS wrote:
I also wanted to comment on Bradley's weekly reviews, noting his generosity in describing my contributions to our weekly effort. Then again, keep in mind that Brad did take resume writing with Dr. George O'Leary while at UCF so he does know how to make someone look good. :o

Now if we could just get HUTCH and RUEZIM to join in the fun!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

STATS wrote:
UCFHCY wrote:
The more I read your reviews, UC, the more I like the cut of STATS' jib. Like me, it seems like a nice percentage of his mental sports highlights must be in black and white.

Hey SPOTES, thanks for the compliment. It's nice to think that people know who I am AND that they think that I am doing something right. Hopefully Brad (UCFHCY) and I can bring enough game to keep ourselves on the leaderboards. We enjoy the challenge of trying to be a top location and the competition we face to get there.

No prob, STATS.
Us old-timey sports guys gotta stick together. :mrgreen:
Trust me, though, you don't always want everyone to know who you are. It's all fun and games until the torches and pitchforks start getting dusted off... :D